Author Topic: Carroll - A sensible discussion.  (Read 151250 times)

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Carroll - A sensible discussion.
« Reply #280 on: April 2, 2012, 11:52:46 am »
Off topic,but Joe Allen is gonna be one hell of a player.The type we should have gone for initially.
Not so sure of Scott Sinclair.

But yeah,if Carroll goes,the people bought to provide ammo to him have to go too.
Because a better striker will come in who doesnt need specific players to help him score.

Could easily have substituted Andy Carroll into that sentence 18 months ago and everyone would have agreed with you.
i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: April 2, 2012, 11:53:05 am »
Exactly the point.Never heard of them players are the players that Comolli should be looking to spot,and bring here.Who had heard of Little Fucking Pea?Those are the bargains.
And Im afraid the likes of Bent and Defoe are the mistakes that we could make again and again,and suffer.See,Bent will score goals,but again,criminally overpriced.For the price that he'd go for,Soldado or Huntelaar would be available(Just saying,not that they'd want to come etc).And if Bent goes through a barren patch,we're screwed.
I wish we spot prolific scorers like Papiss Cisse.What a fucking amazing centre forward.The approach has to change.If we are looking at stats and moneyball,then automatically,the top scorers from different leagues have to be top of the list.And if Defoe is bought to lead the line,good grief,I hope we know where we're going.

More than likely can see Bent joining us. It'll be difficult to offload Carroll (even if we wanted to) and he can be used in a "swap deal".

Yeah we should be looking for players like Coates and Hernandez however I think next season we are under massive pressure to deliver and won't be going for "unknown" players

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: April 2, 2012, 11:54:29 am »
If we (the club) don't have any idea on how to best use Carroll, how will a new striker be any different? We would also need 2 strikers (unless we promote someone from the reserves).

We wouldnt need Downing and Adam for example as I've yet to see any play from them that makes me think they can work well with Suarez. We won't get rid of them two though.

Or we could just put Bellamy or Kuyt back up top instead of on the wing.
A new striker is required, with or without Carroll at the club. You could see how much better our players play with an agile forward - see Torres and Kuyt, so probably someone from that mould. (Bellamy also in the Carling Cup semi final against City, but not going to base a one off game.)
You should play to your strengths, and we're a lot weaker when Carroll is on the pitch.

Said it before and I'll say it again. I honestly believe Downing is off. Unless he changes his attitude to how he treats PL games. [Gives it his all in cup games, but has been dire in the league.]
Adam will stay, as he may be playing below-par season, he doesn't hide. And you can see he gives it his all.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #283 on: April 2, 2012, 11:55:28 am »
Exactly the point.Never heard of them players are the players that Comolli should be looking to spot,and bring here.Who had heard of Little Fucking Pea?Those are the bargains.
And Im afraid the likes of Bent and Defoe are the mistakes that we could make again and again,and suffer.
Totally agree.
See,Bent will score goals,but again,criminally overpriced.
Even that's not a given. Already been a big flop once.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #284 on: April 2, 2012, 11:57:39 am »
Fuck. I hate wasting my time writing a massive post and it appearing last on the page.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #285 on: April 2, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
well is that based on anything concrete or just your own opinion

it's been mentioned here but FFP and the amortisation of the player's contract are relevant to whether he could be sold

if he's been bought for 35million with a 6 year contract his amortisation is about 6million a year

after 18 months his capital value to the club is 27million

if we were to sell him for 10 we make a 17million loss on the books - that affects what we can spend on other players without violating FFP

Presuming we qualify for European football!
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: April 2, 2012, 11:58:46 am »
For anyone that's still saying "the transfer fee is irrelevant" or has said it in the past, it's just as relevant as the boots the lad chooses to wear on the pitch. Unfortunately for us, both haven't done us any good. He's in the top 10 transfer fees in world football along names like Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Aguero and Torres. Now for a fee of that kind, how many top class strikers do you think we could have got? How many areas in our team could we have strengthened on top quality players? Instead, the club took a massive gamble and spent 35 million pounds on someone who even came out and said "I never wanted to leave Newcastle".

The fee is relevant because he's feeling pressure because of it and he's not performing on the pitch and hasn't performed for us on the pitch since he got here barring a few decent games which you only need one hand to count with. The fee is relevant because we have taken a massive risk and it's not paid off and doesn't ever look like paying off and I still can't believe people actually see something in his performances for us which suggest that he'll ever be a good striker for us. By parting with such a massive amount of money, our team and squad has been catered to try get the best out of him because we simply had to make it work. We had to build a squad around the guy we tried to shoehorn into a pressing, pass and move team playing with a high tempo in which he falls apart all because he's the most expensive English player of all time and is our record transfer as well. If he hadn't have cost us such a monumental transfer fee, I'm sure he'd have been on the backseat like Ngog and being blooded into the team properly.

Instead, we got rid of a fluid midfielder and replaced him with a bumbling stocky Scotsman who's reputation was built last season on set pieces. Great, most of us thought, someone who can whip the ball into the box in a myriad of different ways to get it onto big Andy's head. He wasn't getting the service he needed last season but Charlie will be able to find his big fat head. Then we got a left winger which we've been craving for years who can get crosses in from the left. Stewart Downing, most chances created last season, winger, stats stats stats. Great, most of us thought, a winger who'll put the ball into the box onto big Andy's head.

Then our £23million star striker, who excelled in our pass and move team last season with his creativity, spark, flair, intelligence and unpredictability was left to try pick up scraps from the failings of the rest of the team while they all tried to feed the guy we'd built a team around who didn't even want to be here in the first place!

Now I know others haven't stepped up this season, but Andy Carroll is by far our biggest problem in my opinion. The whole squad has been dictated by his transfer and that's exactly why we lie where we are in the league table right now. I honestly believe Stewart Downing will have a better season for us next year. Why? Because he actually puts decent balls into the box. The outcome? Andy Carroll standing motionless waiting for the ball to be placed on his forehead exactly where he's standing. How many times have we seen him on the pitch saying to one of the players "I want this type of cross. This cross only". He didn't even try to adapt his game to try meet the other crosses in the box, but instead if it's not the cross he wants, he just gives up and gives a half arsed jump to try attack the ball. He barely ever wins it.

Let me put things into perspective and how desire actually gets you somewhere. Lucas Leiva, who is nowhere near 6 foot, regularly outjumps players in midfield and wins the ball. He outjumped players like Yaya Toure and even Peter Crouch to win the ball for his team. You can fit two Lucas Leivas in one Andy Carroll and Carroll still flounders when he comes up against a challenge. There's absolutely no desire and he tries to win a free kick or a penalty by jumping to the ground more than he tries to win a header. If I was on the pitch with him, I'd absolutely fucking collar him the soft bastard. I'm sick of seeing it and I have no idea why none of our senior players haven't had a word because if I'm sticking crosses into the box routinely and seeing this 6 foot 5 lump in the box dropping on his arse, I'd be very pissed off.

I also want to address the stat which seems to becoming a bit of a routine excuse. "We win more games when Andy Carroll starts". Yes, this is true, but this isn't because of his performances on the pitch. There have been a few times, definitely less than five, where he's had a game and he throws himself about, makes a few passes and wins a couple of flick ons. Absolutely lauded on here for having a great game when that should've been the minimum we expect from every game since day 1 from a 35million pound striker. That's how low we've sunk. Again, the transfer fee. He'll come good, he's got time on his side, etc etc. Look with your own eyes and see how poor he's been on the pitch and stop hiding behind the transfer fee excuse or the age excuse or even the laughable Lucas comparisons.

We win more games with Carroll on the pitch because it takes Suarez out of being the spearhead in attack, who isn't that type of player, and gives him a chance to run riot on defences by popping up all over the place where the space is. Put him up top and he's closed down and has less space to work in. It's nothing to do with Carroll's ability at all, it's very simply to do with the fact that he's just filling the space and we paid 35 million for him to do that. I would much rather see Bellamy or Kuyt play the number 9 role because they are more effective at it and we would reap the rewards. Why does Kenny persist with Andy? It's certainly not his form.

For all that, it comes down to not fitting into the team and not being arsed, in my opinion. We pay him 60k a week and in return he gives us static, one dimensional performances, half arsed attempts at winning a ball and only being up for 2 games a season. Yesterday he was a disgrace and that dive was the last straw for me. How anyone can defend him now is beyond me. I got it before, in terms of supporting the players on the team but we've got no time for sentimentality now. We could be looking at a bottom half of the table finish and I pin a lot of that problem on the worst and stupidest transfer I've ever seen this club make. It's all well and good supporting a player, but they have to be doing something worthy of the support. I supported the lad when he was trying and when things were going against him but now we have to face reality. He's been nothing but pure dross for us and he has to go in the summer. He really has to get out of our club and I can't express enough how much I want him to go. Shoot me down for it all you want, I can't stand seeing him in a Liverpool shirt anymore.

On the top now Matt. ;)
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #287 on: April 2, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
Fuck. I hate wasting my time writing a massive post and it appearing last on the page.

Just cheat. Delete it and then post it again on this page
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #288 on: April 2, 2012, 12:00:30 pm »
Said it before and I'll say it again. I honestly believe Downing is off. Unless he changes his attitude to how he treats PL games. [Gives it his all in cup games, but has been dire in the league.]

What worries me is the increasing number of whispers about Downing not having the mentality to step up his game when the going gets tough. Brentie alluded to this from his contacts at Villa, seems that he'd do well in training but when the pressure is on he'd be the first to hide.

If this is true, I am rather upset that we failed to find out about his weak mentality before we bought him for a ransom no less. Now I understand what Rafa means whenever he talks about the importance of 'mentality' of players. It should be everything that Downing is not.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #289 on: April 2, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »
Carroll really hasn't had enough of a chance. I think signing an injured player in itself was questionable (see: Aquilani). Then not giving Andy a consistent enough run in the side didn't help. Add to that the effect Kenny himself doesn't know whether he sees a longterm future with Suarez+Andy as a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 and you have a big problem on your hands.

We seem to be buying players and then trying to find a role for them at the club afterwards. Andy did have a really good spell of games. Then he was dropped. I really want us to play a 4-4-2 with Suarez+Carroll upfront until the end of the season to see if they've got what it takes to form some type of relationship there.

Our players on the wings quite simply aren't crossing well enough in the air for Andy to have any type of impact.

At a different club, Carroll would have shone but this is just another player we've ruined in all honest. I think given the trouble we're in, cashing in on him would be good but no one is paying 20M for him... so we might as well keep him, buy another strike to ease the pressure on the guy and work onwards from there.

On the topic of Downing, its all about confidence. For all of Kenny's strengths, I don't see a single player looking better than they did two years ago bar maybe Lucas/Skrtel.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 2, 2012, 12:01:11 pm »
IF that is the case then that'll leave more gaping holes in our squad.

Yep.

Just how in the hell are we going to find a player capable of scoring more than 3 goals and creating more than 0 goals??
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline verbal kint

• Kopite
« Reply #291 on: April 2, 2012, 12:02:10 pm »
Presuming we qualify for European football!

We already have!
Somebody said recently that having Rafa as the manager means not giving a shit who you get in a Champions' League draw...........

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: April 2, 2012, 12:03:19 pm »
Or we could just put Bellamy or Kuyt back up top instead of on the wing.

Adam will stay, as he may be playing below-par season, he doesn't hide. And you can see he gives it his all.

I'll be surprised if Kuyt is here next season unfortunately.

Never thought Downing had the ability to succeed anyway but there has been a number of games he goes hiding. Man Utd away for example was unforgiveable.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #293 on: April 2, 2012, 12:03:53 pm »
Could easily have substituted Andy Carroll into that sentence 18 months ago and everyone would have agreed with you.
Except that Allen can be bought for <10m,and had Andy been bought for that,not many of us would have ranted on.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: April 2, 2012, 12:05:06 pm »
Yep.

Just how in the hell are we going to find a player capable of scoring more than 3 goals and creating more than 0 goals??

See the other posts mate.  I thought a number of players bought this summer were here to benefit Carroll?

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #295 on: April 2, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »
Yep.

:lmao

Ta, Discipline.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: April 2, 2012, 12:06:08 pm »
Yep.

That Grant Holt looks good. :P

Muhammad Ali

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #297 on: April 2, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »
You hear it said about great goal scorers. "He's always in the right place at the right time". It's not lucky.

When we attack he always seems to be loitering around the back post. I think in the summer he needs some serious work on his movement in the penalty area. That's if we keep him. I don't see any value in selling him. I'm not a big fan of Carroll but i can see plenty of areas in which he can improve, which ultimately boils down to his attitude. Is he going to spend the entire summer in the gym getting stronger, is he going to spend hour upon hour with coaching staff to improve his movement and intellect with our system and playing philosophy (Your guess is as good as mine what that is, but i'm sure we do have one). Judging by what I've seen of his attitude, unfortunately i can see him coming back next season 2 stone heavier.

We do appear to have geared our transfers to get the best out of Carroll. I believe if we hadn't bought Carroll we wouldn't be seeing see Jordan Henderson or Stewart Downing at the football club. For me this is a great shame, Luis Suarez is a world class footballer on his day, why oh why didn't we build the team around him instead. with intelligent, pass and move players.

Carroll might surprise us all next season, but his attitude is the first step.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2012, 12:14:10 pm by MatthewRedBlood »
"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high". Bad advice, I met a bloke once who'd looked up during a hailstone storm, took his eye out, blind now.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 2, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »
when we signed him i was buzzing cuz after watching him at newcastle i thought here we've signed a beast who'll lead the line for us for years. he had the slow start cuz he arrived injured but he was immense in the city game and i thought here we go, this guy is gonna batter defenders and terrify teams.

I also remember him tearing us to shreads. I don't think they system we play suits an old school number nine, smaller more mobile forwards such as Bellamy and Suarez are the ones who get the most out of it.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Mohammad Shahrul

• Oral Pisser
  • Main Stander
  • Im the Red PHP programmer, huhu!! :-)
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Towers
« Reply #299 on: April 2, 2012, 12:08:19 pm »
As I want him to succeed here and I believe he will stay here for next season, I was dissappointed by him
during a Newcastle game... I admit he did well in the first 20 minutes, putting a good effort where all fans
appreciated it also I think... But after the first goal against us, I noticed his facial expression was bitter,
depressed and unhappy... He seemed lost his confidence... For the professional football player who was
experiencing the booing, fucking remarks or any abuse by the opponent's fans, he should believe in
himself and trying to get better... Dont let yourself down psychologically in front of the crowd... Im willing to

hang out with Carroll one day, ask him a walk for a while and I want to spend about 20-30 pound of
my own money to treat him a strawberry ice cream while forcing him to listen to my advice at Sefton Park.   
I just want to say to him if your confidence is down in front of the 40,000 opponent's fans, just
imagine them like a frog, an ugly frog. So you Carroll, can keep focusing on the game, ignoring the pigs
and when you are focus, your effort will be multiplied and you can see all the ball passed to you by
Gerrard, Flanagan and even when Shelvey is crossing the ball in. Baanngg!! The goal will come and

the name on the board will be "Andrew Carroll [35'],  [62'], [89']... A fucking hat trick by the young
Liverpool player. What a day for me. Fuck, just boost your confidence and get the ball fucking in Carroll!!!
Im fucking supporting you so please fucking succeed!!!
« Last Edit: April 2, 2012, 12:17:01 pm by Mohammad Shahrul »
p/s: I just joined RAWK forum, hope can learn something from you all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Towers

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: April 2, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »

Amazing post. Agree with every word.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #301 on: April 2, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
More than likely can see Bent joining us. It'll be difficult to offload Carroll (even if we wanted to) and he can be used in a "swap deal".

Ya the swap thing may work,but then Bent has been a flop for the only big club he's been in.
I hope we dont reply on PL proven again.It could be another long season  :-\

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #302 on: April 2, 2012, 12:11:37 pm »
You hear it said about great goal scorers. "He's always in the right place at the right time". It's not lucky.

When we attack he always seems to be loitering around the back post. I think in the summer he needs some serious work on his movement in the penalty area. That's if we keep him. I don't see any value in selling him. I'm not a big fan of Carroll but i can see plenty of areas in which he can improve, which ultimately boils down to his attitude. Is he going to spend the entire summer in the gym getting stronger, is he going to spend hour upon hour with coaching staff to improve his movement and intellect with our system and playing philosophy (Your guess is as good as mine what that is, but i'm sure we do have one). Judging by what I've seen of his attitude, unfortunately i can see him coming back next season 2 stone heavier.

We do appear to have geared our transfers to get the best out of Carroll. I highly doubt had be bought Carroll we'd see Jordan Henderson or Stewart Downing at the football club. For me this is a great shame, Luis Suarez is a world class footballer on his day, why oh why didn't we build the team around him instead. with intelligent, pass and move players.

Carroll might surprise us all next season, but his attitude is the first step.

Henderson and Downing were picked based a lot own statistics, i.e. chances created last season where they were very very high up on the tables.

I think they would have come even if Carroll didn't, especially Henderson who is more of a pass and move player and probably less suitable to playing with Andy despite a few youtube clips of very good crosses at Sunderland.

We geared out transfers partly due to Carroll yes.. but honestly i think these players like Suarez you talk of were never on our radar regardless. We've spent A LOT... and got very little.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #303 on: April 2, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
I don't agree with those who think he's not 'had his chance.' I've been one of his most vehement defenders when people I know have made him the butt of the joke. But when I honestly struggle to come up with any worthy justifications of not only his price but his performances (independent of transfer fee) it's a difficult but pertinent indictment. Yes, he may lack confidence, maybe is homesick. That doesn't change the fact that his default performance has been awful. Not promising, not ok, just dreadful. He's shown he can be a beast, as evidenced against City at home last season. But people say he's showing signs of improvement when all he's done is play a few passes to feet or win a flick on. They're isolated moments of acceptability amongst a sea of ineptitude and dross. He's not good enough and I don't think, as of yet, he's earned the right to prove he is, especially with his disgraceful behaviour yesterday. Flog him to whichever insane club still thinks his value is £10m. Stoke or fucking whoever. Right now, he's shit and I don't think anyone's in a rush to give him the chance to prove he isn't.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: April 2, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
As I want him to succeed here and I believe he will stay here for next season, I was dissappointed by him
during a Newcastle game... I admit he did well in the first 20 minutes, putting a good effort where all fans
appreciated it also I think... But after the first goal against us, I noticed his facial expression was bitter,
depressed and unhappy... He seemed lost his confidence... For the professional football player who was
experiencing the booing, fucking remarks or any abuse by the opponent's fans, he should believe in
himself and trying to get better... Dont let yourself down psychologically in front of the crowd... Im willing to

hang out with Carroll one day, ask him a walk for a while and I want to spend about 20-30 pound of
my own money to treat him a strawberry ice cream while forcing him to listen to my advice at Sefton Park.   
I just want to say to him if your confidence is down in front of the 40,000 opponent's fans, just
imagine them like a frog, an ugly frog. So you Carroll, can keep focusing on the game, ignoring the pigs
and when you are focus, your effort will be multiplied and you can see all the ball passed to you by
Gerrard, Flanagan and even when Shelvey is crossing the ball in. Baanngg!! The goal will come and

the name on the board will be "Andrew Carroll [35'],  [62'], [89']... A fucking hat trick by the young
Liverpool player. What a day for me. Fuck, just boost your confidence and get ball fucking in Carroll!!!
Im fucking supporting you so please fucking succeed!!!

You're officially my favourite poster. :lmao :lmao :lmao

Muhammad Ali

Offline Blade

• Not the sharpest tool in the box
  • Kopite
« Reply #305 on: April 2, 2012, 12:14:25 pm »
Football rarely works like that though. I mean in recent times we got Bellamy on a free, we lost £7m on Robbie Keane and we made a profit on Peter Crouch and David Ngog. Swings and roundabouts. Ultimately the question has to be about how long we persist with Carroll.

Actually, we have lost 3.3 million on Robbie Keane, or 17% of the original fee that we have paid for him. I'd have no problem at all if we could sell Carroll for 29 million, but that is not possible. At the moment, we should be lucky if we get half that. Basically, we are talking about selling a 23-year-old player for a 60-70% loss here. As I have already said, that would be a stupid knee-jerk decision.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 2, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »
Henderson and Downing were picked based a lot own statistics
I wish this 'statistical analysis' as I dread to call it would be fucked off. It works for goalscorers, maybe creators. Goalies. It doesn't show the whole picture and as has been made painfully evident to us, correlation does not imply causality. Look at Modric at Spurs. Superb player, they are not the same team without him. His assists and goal statistics are not particularly good, neither are his chances created, but he's still crucial to the way things are done there. I don't know what statistic was plucked out of somebody's arse to have us end up with Carroll and our current woes.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: April 2, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »

I think it is all about confidence. If we all care about that 35 mil perhaps it would be worthy to give him a good song, demand him on the pitch and support, cheer and show love to him. I really dislike this nonsense about how the fact he earns good money makes him an open target for every fool out there (YNWA?..as long as you are fancied). He was happy at Newcastle, got his dream shirt there, good contract. I am pretty sure that moving to Liverpool was good for him and he will realise that in time, but now he must feel pretty confused and this is why us supporters need to convince him it was not a major mistake. Some people react with defiance to humiliation and become stronger, fight and often succeed in turning it around. Some need help, and  Andy does seem like a lost kid at times, so unsure about himself. Skrtel was treated really badly when going through a rough patch and analysed as a guy with no talent and no hope; at the end all he needed was confidence from his coach (as he never got any from fans in time he needed it with a few exceptions). Once he had this confidence he stepped up more when playing with Agger suited him so much; he become fans favorite (however look at last three matches, his confidence is slipping again). Accepting that players need support and confidence means that us fans can be that 12th player and have direct influence on the game, it makes us fans important part of the team performance. Liverpool fans were famous for this - supporting our own ...YNWA. Now instead of supporting, stupidity and abuse is what comes to mind. Criticism and analysis on forums are part of the fun for sure; however try to apply for a manager job stating that you are lifelong fan, go to matches, played some football (and all the other arguments people use here to defend their credential when posting fantasy teams and advice to players and Kenny etc) and see where that CV will take you. Being a supporter that constantly 'criticises' and moans etc. is equivalent of Andy avoiding the box; fans that abuse their own team are simply scoring own goals. (TOQ)
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline Blade

• Not the sharpest tool in the box
  • Kopite
« Reply #308 on: April 2, 2012, 12:18:20 pm »

Swapping Carroll for Bent is not the worst deal possible, but you should take into consideration that Bent has turned 28 already.

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #309 on: April 2, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
I wish this 'statistical analysis' as I dread to call it would be fucked off. It works for goalscorers, maybe creators. Goalies. It doesn't show the whole picture and as has been made painfully evident to us, correlation does not imply causality. Look at Modric at Spurs. Superb player, they are not the same team without him. His assists and goal statistics are not particularly good, neither are his chances created, but he's still crucial to the way things are done there. I don't know what statistic was plucked out of somebody's arse to have us end up with Carroll and our current woes.

I agree with you completely. Look at benni mcarthy... statistically a world class striker for one season begging for a move to Chelsea. Did mourinho entertain his come and get me please? nope!

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: April 2, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »
Except Joe Allen ain't going to move for £35 million.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #311 on: April 2, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »
Sell Carroll for £15m, buy Torres back for £30m then we're back to where we were at no cost.  8)

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: April 2, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »
Sell Carroll for £15m, buy Torres back for £30m then we're back to where we were at no cost.  8)

No bullshit, but I actually did that in the second season of my fifa game. :lmao

Muhammad Ali

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #313 on: April 2, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »

absolutely spot on. get rid of him. yesterday his dive was the last straw for me too. gutless.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #314 on: April 2, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »
Your heart sinks when you think about this whole thing doesnt it?

Like everyone, we all would like our signings to hit the ground running an score, create goals galore. We've spent £35million on an injured Andy Carroll, when we could have just kept the money and spent it in the summer.

I desperately want him to succeed but he is static, he doesnt move enough, he doesnt have the killer instinct that drive that "snarl". I personally dont think we should sell him this summer, I mean, he's probably only worth £5million now, so its probably better for us to give him another season, and sell him later. It depends on how we do next year with other strikers who can actually put the ball in the back of the net.

It doesnt have to be a lose-lose situation.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline henry

• Anny Roader
  • My chicken is better than yours
« Reply #315 on: April 2, 2012, 12:23:25 pm »
i say keep him but bring in a new #9 as we are lacking of depth in the striker department. yes, we have Bellamy and Kuyt but they are over 30 and won't be available for selection week-in week-out because of the fitness or whatever.

It is not impossible, its just improbable

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: April 2, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »
i say keep him but bring in a new #9 as we are lacking of depth in the striker department. yes, we have Bellamy and Kuyt but they are over 30 and won't be available for selection week-in week-out because of the fitness or whatever.

Kuyt is in a better state than Andy Carroll and presses a lot more despite being nearly 10 years older...

Muhammad Ali

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: April 2, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »
Swapping Carroll for Bent is not the worst deal possible, but you should take into consideration that Bent has turned 28 already.

I know Villa fans that'd be happy to do that because Bent doesn't hold the ball up well, is very selfish, etc etc. I'd be deeply unhappy if we did such a deal to be honest.

Back to Andy though, I hope we have decided what is to happen with him. For him and for us this isn't good, this constant discussion and having him and out of the side all the time.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: April 2, 2012, 12:28:16 pm »
I've got an idea. We swap Carrol for Grant Holt. English, played in the championship last season and has reached double figures this, playing for a poor team. No brainer.

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #319 on: April 2, 2012, 12:28:52 pm »
The thing is about giving him another season is that there's no way we can accomodate him and play to the style he needs, he's already had a nearly one and half seasons. We just can't gamble on him coming good 'cos in the long run it could cost the club more money than anything lost on selling him for less than we bought him. If we had a decent striker this year, we'd more than likely have been there or thereabouts for 4th, the rest of team wouldn't be scared of being in the last third and confidence would have been higher. We spend our time in the final third looking for the perfect goal/pass because the team is set up to play crossed in for a guy that stands on the penalty spot or actually outside of the 18 yard box and stays there unmoving. As the excellent post above says, Matt8pie, quite why our senior players are not bollocking him is beyond me. I'd go mental with him if it was me.