Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:38 pm »
quality game. Am loving the combat system, very fluid. Deffo recommend this game if you like sandbox RPG's. The character customization is good, am making a rogue/mage hybrid with Faeblades and Chakrams
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:33 pm »
quality game. Am loving the combat system, very fluid. Deffo recommend this game if you like sandbox RPG's. The character customization is good, am making a rogue/mage hybrid with Faeblades and Chakrams

The demo bored the tits off me, plus it was bugged to fuck. But yh, the combat system was good.

Will pick it up second hand.

Offline Baraka

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
The demo bored the tits off me, plus it was bugged to fuck. But yh, the combat system was good.

Will pick it up second hand.

it is a bit of a mix of wow and skyrim I feel, the travellers quest series is fun though (very similar to the thieves guild in skyrim). The boss fights are a lot more fun in this though than skyrim. One of the things I noticed is the itemization is brilliant, lots of varied equipment
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:35 pm »
it is a bit of a mix of wow and skyrim I feel, the travellers quest series is fun though (very similar to the thieves guild in skyrim). The boss fights are a lot more fun in this though than skyrim. One of the things I noticed is the itemization is brilliant, lots of varied equipment

The menu is atrocious though. Looks like an interface from a PC game from the mid 90's..... A really badly designed one.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:46:31 am »
Playing it at the moment. Good enough, but wouldn't say great. Sandboxy like the TES series, but combat's a tad more exciting. Got the same problem as the TES series, characters are rather meh, and there's not really much of a sense of urgency.

Definitely worth a play though.

I went mage/thief as well (everyone seems to do that) but it gets less fun towards the end when you realise you miss out on top tier skills. That and chakrams happen to kick the snot out of every other weapon out there, so my daggers went rusty from underuse (aside from stabbing people in the back. that's always fun ;D ) Respecced and went pure mage. Forget stealthing, when you can just kick the snot out of everything in your way.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Baraka

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:40 pm »
Playing it at the moment. Good enough, but wouldn't say great. Sandboxy like the TES series, but combat's a tad more exciting. Got the same problem as the TES series, characters are rather meh, and there's not really much of a sense of urgency.

Definitely worth a play though.

I went mage/thief as well (everyone seems to do that) but it gets less fun towards the end when you realise you miss out on top tier skills. That and chakrams happen to kick the snot out of every other weapon out there, so my daggers went rusty from underuse (aside from stabbing people in the back. that's always fun ;D ) Respecced and went pure mage. Forget stealthing, when you can just kick the snot out of everything in your way.

faeblades are way better than daggers, the dodge and parry attacks are great. funnily enough, I started out as pure mage :p. Damage potential from rogue/mage is insane with mastercrafted gear, sitting at like 60% crit, just mow down everything.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:15:34 am »
faeblades are way better than daggers, the dodge and parry attacks are great. funnily enough, I started out as pure mage :p. Damage potential from rogue/mage is insane with mastercrafted gear, sitting at like 60% crit, just mow down everything.

I tried the Faeblades, but the mage/thief I was playing was a complete twat who instakilled the unwary either with a dagger to the crotch or a lightning bolt up the arse ;D like you said, the crit damage is insane from sneak attacks.

However, I realised that I didn't really use many of the rogue skills at all, and found that I could just play pure mage instead with a few points thrown into rogue for the crit hit stat.

That, and the first time you see the meteor spell wreck everything dead, stealth or no, you begin to wonder why you need to sneak around when you're obviously godlike ;D
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:29:46 am »

Thank former Red Sox starting pitcher Curt Schilling for this game.

Offline Baraka

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:54 am »
I tried the Faeblades, but the mage/thief I was playing was a complete twat who instakilled the unwary either with a dagger to the crotch or a lightning bolt up the arse ;D like you said, the crit damage is insane from sneak attacks.

However, I realised that I didn't really use many of the rogue skills at all, and found that I could just play pure mage instead with a few points thrown into rogue for the crit hit stat.

That, and the first time you see the meteor spell wreck everything dead, stealth or no, you begin to wonder why you need to sneak around when you're obviously godlike ;D

actually I dont mean critting from Sneak attacks ;-). I rarely use stealth
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2012, 07:19:08 am »
Hrm... my crits have dropped quite a bit since I switched to full mage. I used to crit on my spellcasting all the time. Still, having all the top tier spells is great fun. Plus I never run out of mana anymore ;D

Made my way to the arena because I've been wanting to duke it out, first time I've ever had issues with a fight. At a round where they fill the damn match with sprites of all kinds, and they do crazy damage and kill me before I can get spells out.

Offline Baraka

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »
Hrm... my crits have dropped quite a bit since I switched to full mage. I used to crit on my spellcasting all the time. Still, having all the top tier spells is great fun. Plus I never run out of mana anymore ;D

Made my way to the arena because I've been wanting to duke it out, first time I've ever had issues with a fight. At a round where they fill the damn match with sprites of all kinds, and they do crazy damage and kill me before I can get spells out.

yeah that one is a pain, as you have over 10 of the little buggers at the same time, and with the 3 elements makes the normal sprites annoying as well, I tended to hammer the blink and  try and get some pop shots in, trying to be on the move all the time.

what level are you? I just beat the main quest and am sitting at lvl 39, still need to do some odessa quests and a few others here and there

oh, forgot to add, got 3.5 mil gold, for ages have just been salvaging everything I can. Deffo a problem in late game, nothing to spend gold on lol.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2012, 07:20:06 pm by Baraka »
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2012, 03:26:52 am »
yeah that one is a pain, as you have over 10 of the little buggers at the same time, and with the 3 elements makes the normal sprites annoying as well, I tended to hammer the blink and  try and get some pop shots in, trying to be on the move all the time.

what level are you? I just beat the main quest and am sitting at lvl 39, still need to do some odessa quests and a few others here and there

oh, forgot to add, got 3.5 mil gold, for ages have just been salvaging everything I can. Deffo a problem in late game, nothing to spend gold on lol.

I'm slow on the progression, been doing all the side quests I can find, and left the main quest to languish ;D

I've completed the Mage guild quest, the Fighter's guild quest, as well as the arenas, the house of ballards, and the thieves guild quests.

Now I'm just headed over the continent and arrived at Mel Shanir that city that's under siege.

Reached level 32 and got plenty of cash as well. You're really screwing yourself over if you dont get detect hidden early. Gives you plenty of cash to do your training properly. I've got almost all my skills maxed out.

You're right about the money though, the more annoying thing for me is how its hard to find set items. I have like one piece of half the sets in the game and its driving me insane! I hate having things incomplete ;D

Offline Baraka

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2012, 01:51:10 pm »
shame that the set items are just crap compared to crafted. even the bonuses on the best sets dont compare to prismere weapons with flawless upgrades and top gems. And yeah, I agree with detect hidden, get it asap to detect hidden doors level (which is all you really need) and you can find everything.

lockpicking is quite easy though, compared to oblivion or skyrim imo. Dispelling chests is fun and different though.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »
Playing this 27 hours and all of a sudden i couldn't fast travel - turns out there is a bug from one of the quests and there's no fix yet.

I have only 4 saves and i ain't going all the way back to lv15. What a fucking gib.

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?4613-Her-Righteous-Fury-Quest-Bugged/page12

I hope EA burn to the ground

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 9, 2012, 08:44:59 am »
I started playing this a few days ago.
It's like Skyrim with crappy graphics.
And you can only jump down when the game lets you.
I hate that.
Why call it a huge open world game when you can only go linear paths ?
But it's a nice game, while waiting for Skyrim DLC and Max Payne 3.

Oh, I also find it weird that your skill can only level up with points and not through doing it.
My lockpicking skill is still at 0 while I can open almost all of them.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 12:09:48 am »
20 hrs in and enjoying it. My only major gripe is that most of the quests are fetch quests to some degree. I've been pretty thorough in completing all the side quests available before moving on to the next area and out of the 5 'continents' I'm still only in the first one. Can see this getting very boring by the end. Might have to just go for the main story missions and sack off the rest at some point  :(