Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 643422 times)

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #10520 on: July 28, 2019, 05:25:12 pm »
Brilliant game of hurling

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10521 on: July 28, 2019, 05:40:38 pm »
After watching the 2 hurling semi finals, it's hard to get buzzed about the football, isn't it?

It's like going from having a threesome with Grainne Seoige and Joanne Cantwell to having a wank over a picture of Twink
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10522 on: July 29, 2019, 11:16:26 am »
I live in Tipperary, so I was hoping they'd win yesterday, but I felt so sorry for the Wexford lads and Davy Fitz afterwards. I don't think I've seen a team so devastated at the final whistle.  I don't think that they 'choked' or 'bottled' it in the terrible modern parlance - they just allowed themselves to get into a dogfight with a very talented side who had the superior bench. 
If they had the last 20 minutes again they'd go short puck-outs and try to slow it down, retain possession etc, but that's so much harder to do in hurling than football.  If anything they went away from the system that brought them this far, hitting puck-outs long into the half-back line just when Tipp started to get on top there.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10523 on: July 29, 2019, 04:41:34 pm »
In my opinion, Davy's achilles heel is the fact that he tends to rely too heavily on whipping his players into a crazed frenzy instead of remaining calm and analysing what he needs to do from a tactical point of view. I fully appreciate that maintaining intensity is a huge part of the modern game, but when you get dragged into a dog fight against a team as resilient as Tipp, and as well drilled as Tipp, and as experienced as Tipp, and as well managed as Tipp, then screaming and fucking and blinding from the sideline is only going to get you so far.

Eventually the tactical factor will come into play and that's where Davy comes up slightly short in my view. I honestly don't think he has the temperament to keep a cool head and work out how he's being rode tactically, let alone formulate a plan in real time to counteract it. He was like that 12 years ago when he was managing L.I.T. He was like that when managing Clare and he was like that when managing Waterford. So I don't see him changing any time soon.

Sheedy is a different operator entirely. Sure, he get's animated, but not in the same way Davy does. There's an air of granite determination in the way Sheedy patrols the sideline and in the way he motivates his players. He's also on another level tactically. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've watched him provide analysis on the Sunday game and been genuinely intrigued at the way he's able to spot and pick apart patterns of play that the average man wouldn't spot in a million years. I think most hurling enthusiasts would agree that Sheedy knows his shit inside out

I don't know the exact numbers but a lot of Tipps points yesterday came from Tipp players inviting tackles in midfield and then slipping possession to a team mate in space between Wexford's midfield and half back line. Particularly in the second half. I think Davy mentioned it after the game that maybe his half forward line could have done more to protect the midfield. And again, therein in lies my point. There's no use in him recognising it during the post-game interview. He should have spotted it in real time because it was plain as day he was getting dry humped tactically by Sheedy.

I like Davy though, and I hope he stays on with Wexford. It's nice that they're back as genuine contenders.

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10524 on: August 3, 2019, 07:39:15 pm »
If you don't love Mayo you have no heart and no soul.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10525 on: August 3, 2019, 07:43:53 pm »
Mayo for Sam hey

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10526 on: August 3, 2019, 07:56:46 pm »
Nice couple of wins for our u20s today. Beat Kilkenny in the hurling sf and Dublin in the big ball final.

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10527 on: August 4, 2019, 09:16:17 am »
Nice couple of wins for our u20s today. Beat Kilkenny in the hurling sf and Dublin in the big ball final.

Split Cork in two

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10528 on: August 4, 2019, 09:48:27 am »
Sickened. Weren't up for it at all. Fair play to Mayo. Well deserved.

We are a young side (with a few experienced heads) and growing. I think this Donegal side definitely has an AI final appearance or two in them over the coming years.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10529 on: August 4, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »

;D I fuckin' hate them. Have me heart broke and me arse twitching.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10530 on: August 4, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »
;D I fuckin' hate them. Have me heart broke and me arse twitching.

;D

Wouldn't the most Mayo thing imaginable be to beat the Dubs next Saturday then lose to Kerry in the final?

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10531 on: August 4, 2019, 05:51:45 pm »

I'm souless and heartless.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10532 on: August 4, 2019, 05:52:19 pm »

Yep some good players in that football side, promote them to the Snr panel now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #10533 on: August 4, 2019, 07:18:53 pm »
That makes two ;D

Good win for the rossies today even though it was a dead rubber match. Same result as last year in the end but I've seen progress this year under Cunningham and I've been impressed with how we've played.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10534 on: August 5, 2019, 07:46:19 pm »

Worse, you're a jackeen c*nt.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10535 on: August 10, 2019, 06:05:17 pm »
Stop kicking the ball out to Brian Fenton you dumb fucker.

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10536 on: August 10, 2019, 07:14:15 pm »
Sick of these bastards in blue. fuckin c*nts.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10537 on: August 10, 2019, 10:39:30 pm »
Most satisfying thing about today was knowing that that little weasel Cillian O Connor will never win an All Ireland. 

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10538 on: August 10, 2019, 10:49:45 pm »
Most satisfying thing about today was knowing that that little weasel Cillian O Connor will never win an All Ireland. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night sweetheart.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10539 on: August 11, 2019, 01:35:45 pm »
Worse, you're a jackeen c*nt.

There is that too, did you enjoy the game?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10540 on: August 11, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »
Sick of these bastards in blue. fuckin c*nts.

Take me home to Mayo..............
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10541 on: August 11, 2019, 01:37:30 pm »
Going Kerry by a couple today.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10542 on: August 11, 2019, 01:38:56 pm »

Lee Keegan for me is something that warms the heart but I will say that it was great to see Tom Parsons get on the pitch today. What a recovery.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #10543 on: August 11, 2019, 02:31:18 pm »
There's something about Kerry that you can never really count them out no matter the comparative quality of the team. I'd like to see them win so they can give Dublin a good game.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10544 on: August 11, 2019, 02:39:39 pm »
Lee Keegan for me is something that warms the heart but I will say that it was great to see Tom Parsons get on the pitch today. What a recovery.
Players like Parsons, Moran, Vaughan I feel sorry for . Honest lads and exceptional footballers. The breefy crew have a lot to answer for by Mayo coming up short again and again , throwing managers under a bus and dictating who plays in goal. My dislike for Cillian O Connor is down to the constant diving like he is shot , play acting to get lads sent off and being a snide little bastard. Really hope Kerry win today will make a better final.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #10545 on: August 11, 2019, 03:15:56 pm »
Anyone have a stream for the tyrone match?
YNWA

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10546 on: August 11, 2019, 05:35:37 pm »
It's hard to know what to make of the football final. Obviously, on paper, Dublin will be red hot favourites and rightly so. Win it and their status as the greatest football team of all time is cemented beyond question. Lose it however, and not only will they have failed to eclipse Micko's great Kerry team, they'll also have to endure the indignity that it was Kerry themselves who stopped the "drive for five". If Kerry manage to upset the odds and pull this off, I imagine it will be just as sweet as winning their own 4 in a row back in 81

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10547 on: August 11, 2019, 05:43:24 pm »
I know very little about this game but ive adopted Tyrone as my missus is from them there and her brothers are mad gaa fans so seemed as good a reason as any. So screw you Kerry  ;D

In terms of the final, hard to see past Dub but this is a strong young Kerry team so who knows.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10548 on: August 11, 2019, 05:55:31 pm »
The more I think about it, I can't help but feel that all of the pressure is on Dublin here.

If they win, then everyone (including most Kerry folk) will say "sure of course they won it, they're miles ahead of everyone else"

But if they lose, I feel they'll never hear the end of it. Missing out on 5 will forever be rubbed in their faces, especially by Kerry folk

Kind of like the way fans all over England refuse to let Gerrard forget about his slip and the impact that had on the footballing history books

I imagine it will be the same for Dublin if they balls this up

Offline Dermot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10549 on: August 11, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
There is that too, did you enjoy the game?

Been a long long while since I enjoyed a game of football. First half was amazing game management, but you knew it wouldn't last.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10550 on: August 12, 2019, 08:35:46 am »
I'm glad Kerry beat Tyrone, but I'm not hopeful they will beat the Dubs.

I think everyone elses best bet, other than the GAA reshaping things, is that they win 5 in a row then lose their hunger a bit. At the minute they are roaring for it.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10551 on: August 12, 2019, 10:40:51 am »
was at the game yesterday, a shocking attendance for a semi final considering two years ago there was 56k at the same game and it was pouring down.
gaa need to catch themselves on with pricing  given that mayo had played 7 out of 8 weeks before the game against Dublin.
i note it was the lowest attendance in  over 20 years

dublin to win 5 in a row with  ease, cant see kerry getting within 10 points of them

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #10552 on: August 12, 2019, 10:59:44 am »
After watching the game yesterday they might as well give Dublin Sam now.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10553 on: August 12, 2019, 11:18:38 am »
The more I think about it, I can't help but feel that all of the pressure is on Dublin here.

If they win, then everyone (including most Kerry folk) will say "sure of course they won it, they're miles ahead of everyone else"

But if they lose, I feel they'll never hear the end of it. Missing out on 5 will forever be rubbed in their faces, especially by Kerry folk

Kind of like the way fans all over England refuse to let Gerrard forget about his slip and the impact that had on the footballing history books

I imagine it will be the same for Dublin if they balls this up
Wishful thinking lad , these boys and Manager don’t do pressure. One thing for sure if Kerry do go out and win on the day they will have have nothing but respect shown from true Dublin fans as they always have been shown down through the years and that works both ways . There has always been huge respect shown between the two teams and both sets of supporters and none of them would rub eithers nose in it if they won , maybe some no mark muck savages will take to social media to post shite .If Kerry win then fair play to them but if they play the way they did yesterday then they will be in for a rough afternoon.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10554 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:00 am »
12.5% increase from €80 to €90 for stand tickets for the All Ireland Finals is quite saucy. Eddie Brennan came out and rightly criticised the increase. The tickets should be categorised and priced accordingly. Why should someone sitting in the back row of corner of the top tier pay the same as someone sitting in the middle of the Lower Hogan? 

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10555 on: August 18, 2019, 04:12:25 pm »
James Owens got the early penalty decision wrong but the red card was correct. An elbow to the head will always be dangerous and a red card, even if Michael Duignan is making irrelevant points about the conditions.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10556 on: August 18, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »
Yeah, I've always found the notion that the ref should consider the weather conditions when making a decision a bit stupid

A rule is a rule is a rule and should be applied in hail rain or sunshine

Tipp fully deserved that. They've been the best team overall this year

They're only 2 All Ireland titles behind Cork now the fuckers

Still though, I won't complain. Seeing Kilkenny and Cody getting spanked in an All Ireland final is totally worth it

I wont be shedding any tears for them, that's for sure

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10557 on: August 18, 2019, 05:31:47 pm »
I had 3:50 in junk change passing the bookies earlier so threw it on Paraic Maher to win MOTM for the craic

I reckon he's in with a shot. He'll be one of the 3 nominations surely?

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10558 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:46 pm »
I had 3:50 in junk change passing the bookies earlier so threw it on Paraic Maher to win MOTM for the craic

I reckon he's in with a shot. He'll be one of the 3 nominations surely?
Paudric was excellent today. He's not getting it over Ronan Maher though. He was different class.

That was a poor effort tactically by Cody today. Lumping every ball onto the imperious Ronan Maher and allowing Tipp to have a short puck-out and allow them time to find their forwards was honestly Junior B stuff.  Compare and contrast with Sheedy's semi-final effort with 14 men.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10559 on: August 22, 2019, 02:44:13 am »
You would like to think (well, I would anyway ;D) that Tipp will put two of these babies back-to-back for the first time in 55 years next August; but it’s a very difficult thing to do, especially now, with the Championship arguably as competitive as it’s ever been. In the last three years alone:

– Five different counties (Galway x2, Waterford, Limerick, Tipperary and Kilkenny) have contested three All-Ireland finals;
– Not only were two of the eventual winners from outside of hurling’s “big three”, they ended long-running droughts of 29 (Galway) and 45 (Limerick) years respectively;
– Eight different counties (Galway x2, Tipperary x2, Waterford, Cork x2, Limerick x2, Clare, Wexford and Kilkenny) have contested the six All-Ireland semi-finals in that period;
– Of those six semi-finals, five were decided by two points or less: Tipp/Galway in 2017 (one point), Limerick/Cork (two points, after extra-time) and Galway/Clare (one point, after a replay and extra-time the first day) in 2018, and Tipp/Wexford (two points) and Limerick/Kilkenny (one point) in 2019; go back further, to 2016, and you can add single point victories for Tipperary and Kilkenny over Galway and Waterford respectively, the latter after a replay and extra-time;
– In addition, four different counties (Cork x2, Limerick, Galway x2 and Wexford) have won the six provincial championships up for grabs from 2017–2019, with Tipperary and Kilkenny out of the picture in Munster and Leinster respectively since 2016.

Then there’s the format. Two games used to be enough to win you a Munster title some years, and sometimes you even had to play just four to win an All-Ireland. I’m thinking about 1989 in particular, when Tipperary’s contentious semi-final against Galway was the only test they had during a summer where they outscored their opponents by an average of 11 points per game, having played only four times across three months. Nowadays, you can beat every team in Munster and still end up with no trophy to show for it, and an All-Ireland victory will oblige you to play a minimum of seven within the same timeframe.

Furthermore, you can go from being statistically the second-worst team in the province and winless one year to winning 7 out of 8 and beating everyone of consequence on your way to winning the All-Ireland the next. Tipperary did it this year, but it’s potentially true of all the Munster teams in 2020, each of whom have either reached an All-Ireland final (2017 for Waterford, 2018 for Limerick), come desperately close to doing so (extra-time defeats for Clare and Cork in 2018), or won Munster titles (2017 and 2018 for Cork, 2019 for Limerick) in the last three years.

And there’s some who’ll even tell you these days, with compelling evidence I might add, that getting humiliated in a Munster final is actually a good thing, in so far as it highlights clear weaknesses to work on while your conquerors go off to be ambushed by Kilkenny. Just like 2010, for example, when Liam Sheedy readjusted after a Munster quarter-final hammering below in Cork in May (Aisake Ó hAilpín’s finest hour in a Cork jersey) to win the big one in September.

So Tipperary will have their work cut out next year, and that’s before you even glance at their history over the past half-century or so.

Since 1965, the other members of hurling’s “big three” (Kilkenny and Cork) have won multiple consecutive All-Irelands on nine occasions between them, including a four-in-a-row for Kilkenny between 2006–2009 and a three-in-a-row for Cork between 1976–1978. And while they haven’t claimed as many titles as their rivals over that period, there is no denying that the Tipperary teams who won senior hurling All-Irelands in 1971, 1989, 1991, 2001, 2010 and 2016 were talented enough to win more.

Yet the only one of them that really came close to doing so was the 2011 team, hanging 7-19 on Waterford in the Munster final and reaching a third consecutive All-Ireland final for the first time since 1962 under Sheedy’s successor Declan Ryan (in what turned out to be a fairly one-sided affair everywhere but the scoreboard). Otherwise, there were semi-final defeats in 2002 (by four points to Kilkenny, having already handed Waterford a first Munster final victory since 1963) and 2017 (by a point to Galway), and the reigning champions failed to get out of Munster at all in 1971, 1990 and 1992, all defeats inflicted by Cork: the first after a replay in the Gaelic Grounds in 1972, the second a surprise ambush that they blindly stumbled into down in Thurles in 1990, and the third a damp squib of a match in monsoon conditions in the Páirc in 1992.

There were many missed opportunities to stockpile silverware along the way. As worthy as some of those Cork teams were, for example, Babs Keating’s Tipperary team could have easily won seven Munsters in a row from 1987–1993, and maybe three All-Irelands in a row to go with them from 1989–1991, at a time when hurling was far less competitive than it is today. But they suffered a few bad losses, none more so than the shock defeat to Galway in 1993 that proved to be the end of an era, and would have to wait 10 years for the next one to come along.

Undoubtedly more relevant to this current team, Tipp weren’t a million miles away from their own four-in-a-row from 2014–2017 under Eamon O’Shea and Michael Ryan, losing by a single point in semi-finals to Galway twice (2015, 2017) and coming a Hawkeye decision short of winning the final in 2014, having already fallen victim to that year’s experimental rules around penalties which saw Séamus Callanan and John O’Dwyer both miss during the 70 minutes.

Sheedy’s job now is to make sure that this team doesn’t become yet another in a long line that only occasionally lived up to that “Premier” tag when it mattered. The fact that he’s coming back at all is huge, in and of itself. Institutional continuity is something that Kilkenny have made great use of for two decades, during which time Tipperary (nine managers, including Sheedy twice) and Cork (ten managers, including Jimmy Barry-Murphy twice) have been hitting the reset button over and over. But his return for the 2020 season guarantees nothing in itself, other than a solid platform on which to build. The building itself still has to be erected, so the speak, and it’s a long time since a Tipperary team has managed to do it.

Yet this is the first time that Tipperary have won three in a calendar decade since, you guessed it, the 1960s. Tipperary’s greatest period saw them win four All-Irelands in five years (1961, 1962, 1964 and 1965), but it’s not lost on Sheedy that this team should now, arguably, be breathing that same rarefied air: “That means something to us. It means something because I think this team had had more people saying what they weren’t over the last 10 years than what they were. And when people look back on this decade, they’ll see a Tipperary team that won. Because maybe instead of going back to the sixties all the time…maybe we should talk about this decade. Because I think at the moment in this Tipperary squad, we have some of the best players ever to wear that blue-and-gold jersey”.

Inspirational words. And he’s not wrong, you know. The fact that it unfolded in the shadow of Kilkenny’s greatest era, perhaps the greatest era of any team (eleven All-Irelands in sixteen years), means that it doesn’t get much attention in comparison, but this has been the most sustained period of success the county has enjoyed in over half a century. That already places a number of these players amongst a select group.

It starts all the way back in 2006 with the first All-Ireland title that Sheedy (as manager) won with Tipperary, at minor level. Four of Tipperary’s outstanding performers last Sunday – Callanan, Pádraic Maher, Brendan Maher and Noel McGrath – were cornerstones of that team, and the latter three repeated the feat twelve months later under Sheedy’s successor (again), Declan Ryan. Over the subsequent thirteen years, alongside several other graduates from those 2006 and 2007 teams who became stalwarts of the senior panel (such as ‘Bonner’ Maher, Mickey Cahill and James Barry), that core of players has delivered six Munster titles and three All-Irelands, as well as an U-21 title in 2010 and a National League in 2008.

I grew up on, and will always love, that ‘87–‘93 team; and you could argue that Babs’ team delivered a similar haul in a shorter space of time (five Munster titles in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991 and 1993, two All-Irelands in 1989 and 1991, an U-21 All-Ireland in 1989, and a National League in 1988). Crucially, though, only a single underage All-Ireland success arrived during that period to keep the senior team ticking over, and none at minor level. Its success had been built on a string of underage successes in the early 1980s (two minor titles in 1980 and 1982, and four U-21 titles in seven years from 1979 to 1985) which spawned the likes of Nicky English, Pat Fox, Colm Bonnar, Noel Sheehy, John Kennedy, Ken Hogan, Joe Hayes, Aidan Ryan, Bobby Ryan and Paul Delaney. With fewer in the way of quality reinforcements coming through at the end of the decade, however, when that team reached its cliff it fell right off.

The minor titles that have subsequently arrived post-2010, in 2012 and 2016 (the latter Tipperary’s first senior/minor double since 1949, incidentally), have sustained the senior team’s longevity to an extent that never quite happened for the ‘87–‘93 panel. Ronan Maher and Barry Heffernan, both imperious on Sunday, came out of 2012 alongside John McGrath and Michael Breen, and Ger Browne, Jake Morris and Mark Kehoe emerged from the 2016 minors to each notch points off the bench against Kilkenny (Jerome Cahill is also waiting in the wings). Meanwhile, the U-20s will line out against Cork at the weekend as they seek to win the county’s first back-to-back titles at that level since 1981.

All of which means that quite aside from the continuity afforded by Sheedy returning for 2020 (hopefully with a full backroom team that continues to employ the tactical genius of Eamon O’Shea, an inspired addition in February), the competition for places should continue to be vibrant. And with the oldest players on the senior panel (Callanan, Noel McGrath, Páidi and Brendan Maher) only just turned 30 and with plenty of hurling surely left in their legs yet, Tipperary will enter the 2020 All-Ireland Championship in as good a position as they ever have to repeat, despite facing arguably the greatest level of competition that any champion ever has.

If they do it, if they add a fifth All-Ireland inside eleven years (that would also make it seven finals/ten semi-finals in twelve), maybe add a Munster or League title in the process, they become the greatest Tipperary team since colour TV (I'm convinced that a post-1971 Tipperary XV would already feature a number of them). That’s the prize awaiting them, and if Sheedy can guard against complacency and ensure that the hunger remains in a way that it maybe didn’t in 1990, 1992, 2002, 2011 or 2017, at least not in comparison to Tipperary’s rivals in those years, they have every chance.

Kilkenny will be back too, but if Sunday did nothing else, it illustrated once and for all that they’re now mere mortals just like the rest of us: mere mortals who bemoan refereeing decisions as being defining moments, who have maybe a handful of outstanding players and a number of very good ones rather than a team riddled from back to front with all-time greats, who have to rely on tactics to change games rather than simply possessing superior players, who sometimes have to run around helplessly while a merciless opposition outscores them by 14 points, who haven’t won an All-Ireland in four years and counting. The rest of the hurling community, from Cork to Dublin, Wexford to Galway, should smell feline blood in the air and act accordingly.

Brian Cody once used his position to intimidate Marty Morrissey for asking a perfecty valid question over a penalty that the whole world outside the borders of Kilkenny knew well was a bullshit decision. He said that “...we’re supposed to say nothing about referees and I make a habit of saying absolutely nothing about referees...” as his team achieved immortality by becoming only the second ever to win four senior All-Irelands in a row in 2009. But as the years went by, as the key, legendary cornerstones of his team aged into retirement and every victory became harder fought (e.g. no Leinster titles in 2012 or 2013, Tipperary scoring 1-24 from play and winning two penalties as his team struggled to cope with the movement of O’Shea’s forwards in 2014), he began to change his tune.

“They were handed an opportunity which was a completely wrong decision,” he said of Tipperary after the replay in 2014. “We didn’t speak about it the last day but it was criminal. People can say that I am whingeing and moaning all they like, but I am telling the truth”. And on Sunday, he appeared to argue that a referee shouldn’t take the word of his officials on the field when referencing Richie Hogan’s red card (“...you need to be very, very certain to issue a red card and there was a big discussion for quite a while between referee and linesman...”)

Between that, ‘King Henry’ rambling about “common sense” at half-time, Eddie Brennan tweeting about “consistency please” over Cathal Barrett bloodying Hogan’s nose (Tommy Walsh split the referee in the 2011 final while aiming for a Tipp player, I don’t recall the same reaction then), and Jackie Tyrell talking about “the spirit of the All-Ireland” later that night and making the accusation that Cathal Barrett “went down way too easy” after Hogan’s challenge (Barrett’s priceless response: “I got hit in the jaw, what does he want me to do?”), it’s clear that the team which has always pushed the envelope as much as anyone, that cynically fouled Tipp players for fun around the goal in both games in 2014 because they knew there was more chance of Marty Morrissey winning a beauty pageant than Tipp scoring a penalty under those ridiculous rules, have now changed their attitude towards referees entirely.

And why is that? Well, it’s not rocket science: they haven’t won an All-Ireland since 2015, haven’t won Leinster since 2016, one of their former bitches, Wexford, who they beat 5-25 to 0-16 as recently as the 2015 provincial semi-final, have knocked them out of two of the last three Leinster Championships, and their greatest rivals have just dismantled them to the tune of 14 points in front of the whole world. It’s not so easy to glide above the random twists of the knife meted out by officials when the margins for victory have narrowed to such an extent.

Which brings me neatly on to Cody’s tactics. Tommy Walsh once said of him that “Brian wouldn’t be going around having chats with you. He’d never ask you to watch this or watch that, your left side, your right side. He’d just say: “Go out and take over the field”. That’s all he ever used to say to me. When he says that to you, you’d be saying to yourself ‘Let’s go be Man of the Match then’. It didn’t always work out, but that’s how you’d feel”. Very simple, and incredibly effective when you’re saying it to a Tommy Walsh, a J.J. Delaney, a Henry Shefflin, a Richie Power, a Jackie Tyrell or a Michael Fennelly, I bet.

But there’s not too many players of that calibre left in Kilkenny’s ranks now, and even T.J. Reid was helpless under the constant barrage of high ball he was obliged to challenge for in the second-half on Sunday, against the obvious numerical and aerial superiority of the Maher brothers and Heffernan. A few tactical tweaks would have been no harm, and yet they never came. Kilkenny’s mix of superior skill, physicality and intensity was once enough to dominate virtually every opponent, including some very good Tipperary teams, but on Sunday they needed ingenuity from the sideline. It never came, and that had absolutely nothing to do with the absence of Hogan, who was correctly sent off as Tipperary began to get on top.

Kilkenny may well be back to win next year, but they’ve got some serious work to do.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:06:01 am by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog