Author Topic: Italian football in the 90s  (Read 64166 times)

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Italian football in the 90s
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »
Don't think Bojan was out of nappies back then, mate.  ;D

Boban on the other hand - Yes!!

Changed ;)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »
The new wave wasn't bad either.

You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »
Hernan crespo, was there a better striker around that knew how to beat the offside trap?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2012, 09:57:03 pm »
Hernan crespo, was there a better striker around that knew how to beat the offside trap?

Inzaghi.

*cough*
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »
Inzaghi.

*cough*

Van Horse face wasn't too shabby either, always standing in an offside position to run back at free kicks i recall. Twat.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »
Inzaghi.

*cough*
When was a defensive line ever sitting three yards from their own goal?

The Trez wasn't bad at it.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojLd0QuuKks?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ojLd0QuuKks?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Sweet Mother of Jesus, what a striker.

Now thats a striker worth paying 35m pounds for ;)

Great thread boys, keep them coming!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:16:20 pm by Brentie »
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Alternative favourite XI...

Taffarel
                 Vierchowod
Torricelli  Apollini  Kohler  Nava
           Eranio    Pin    Evani
              Ganz   Balbo
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eTsbe9a6laE?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eTsbe9a6laE?version=3&amp;amp</a>

Second goals a bit ropey but what a target man. Oliver Bierhoff

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
The goal of the month comp on the Saturday show was always a beast too!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:31 am »

AC Jimbo with hair !? madness..

There is a video clip of that here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSA-Bdanaas?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SSA-Bdanaas?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Some glorious puns as he reads out the scores there

Offline crichton

• Main Stander
  • Earn The Right
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:30 am »
That Batistuta video is incredible.
What technique.  Pick a spot, hit it early, and remove as much ball leather as he could. Convinced that keepers were jumping out the way for fear of getting hit. Brilliant.
15 years on RAWK and I’m grateful for every post. Wandering Red finally back home.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:35 am »
The first football I watched regularly because we didn't have British channels and tv here would piggy back off Channel 4's coverage. Italian football was in a far better state, the stadiums were full, the kits were great and the players were the best in the world.

Like a boss

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:29 am »
it was unbearably shit when five brought it back. we had to listen to uncle roy's tactical insight every other week. the only redeeming feature was laura esposto.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2012, 12:43:03 am »
Big big fan of Serie A.

My favourite moment was when Roma beat Parma to win the Scudetto back in 2001.

Roma had a fantastic side led by the local hero Totti.

The game which clinched it for them was one I will never forget. The atmosphere at the Olimpico that day was unbelievable.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7lrJw5R7do?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C7lrJw5R7do?fs=1</a>

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2012, 12:45:05 am »
Love threads like that, great nostalgic flashbacks for me!

Who did people 'support' then? I guess I was Lazio when C4 started showing it because of Gazza but once I started getting to know teams in their own right I really liked Parma.

That Roma team under Capello was something else too. Given when I was a semi regular attendor of games at Anfield we were either banned or out of Europe by Christmas I haven't been to many European games. I've only been to three, and weirdly two of them were against that Roma side. Although we lost at Anfield in 2001 we came out on top and we dominated them a year later, great to say 've seen Batistuta live though, even if (thankfully) he didn't do a great deal. What a striker.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2012, 12:56:53 am »
I never really supported a team, I enjoyed watching most sides then because the quality was spread out through the league. AC Milan, Fiorentina, Inter Milan, Juventus, Lazio, Parma, Sampdoria were all class and matches between them were rarely boring. Then you had the likes of Bari, Verona, Venezia, Brescia, Torino and Atalanta who would now and then make a fist of it, much more than the bottom teams in the Premiership would.

I have a soft spot for specific teams, so Roma 2001, Lazio 2000, Parma around 1998, AC Milan between 2002 and 2005, Inter when Ronaldo moved there, Sampdoria whenever they weren't shit. If you'd told me then that Italian teams would fall from grace so massively in just a decade, I'd call you insane.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2012, 01:11:44 am »
That Lazio team was boss when Eriksson was in charge. Veron, Signori, Nesta, Nedved, Mihaylovic, Boksic, Mancini, Salas, de la Pena. Brilliant team, no surprise they won the title. They also had a certain Dejan Stankovic coming through the ranks now.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:29 am »
Zvonomir Boban at Milan was sensational.

Won 4 Scudettos & 1 European Cup in the space of 6 seasons with Milan.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:13 am »
I started watching football during Euro 96, and well remember the final years of the 90s, and they were indeed immense day for Italian League.

Not only the league, but their national team too. Imagine your choice of 3 keepers are Pagliuca, Peruzzi, and Buffon. Loved Batigol and how he never celebrated scoring against Fiorentina, there is a statue of his in Florence I used to hear, remember him scoring a peach against the Mancs in CL. What a team Parma was by the way, and it has to be said how greatly Juve re-invested the money they got from Zidane's sale. Sell Zidane, and buy Buffon, Thuram and Nedved. Fucking immense decision making.

good shout at Boban Roopy. Him and Suker were great to watch in 1998 World Cup! Blazovic had their team playing fantastically well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:40:16 am by downtown »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:37 am »
excellent article on parma here. it'a rather sad their fall from grace but what a side they had back then!

http://ghostgoal.co.uk/2010/05/19/parma-90s-phenomenon/

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:26 am »
Probably what got me into football full time. So many great memories. Great kits, great players, great teams even a great theme song!!! Juve were my favourite team by far. Del Piero is the greatest player I've ever seen, Inzaghi is my favourite striker ever, and Zidane wasn't too bad either. Then Davids and Tacchiernadi (sp)Deschamps...amazing. Not just Juve though, everyone had a great team then, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina, Parma! For me, it's probably the best era of club football ever, and I am still a huge Serie A fan a good 12 years later
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012, 02:19:42 am »
A team of players it was an honor and a pleasure to watch:

Francesco Toldo
Cafu -- Aldair -- Ciro Ferrara -- Maldini
         Angelo di Livio -- Zidane
                  Rui -- Totti
             Batigol -- Baggio

Bench:  Angelo Peruzzi, Thuram, J. Zanetti, Stefano Fiore, Donadoni, Del Piero, Vieri
Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2012, 03:11:39 am »
Forget the penalty miss and the injuries, even when he was at Brescia, he was still better than most people would give him credit for.

My childhood idol he was. Made every thing look so easy on the football field.
He might have missed the pen in the finals in 94 but he could only miss it because he was the one that got them there in the first place.
Won pretty much every thing there is to win in football but still doesnt get the credit he is do.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:17 am »
As many others said, great nostalgia thread. Remember flipping the newspaper just to look at how the mighty AC Milan crushed everything in their way.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2012, 10:17:43 am »
Can't believe no-one has mentioned the Yugoslav great Dejan Savicevic, Messi modelled his game on him :P

I loved Football Italia, I used to support Milan because of George Weah, Maldini and Boban, as well as the great Dejan. But started supporting Inter when Ronaldo moved there and they got screwed out of the title by that ref!

Ah the league was amazing, so many great players at so many different clubs, and it wasnt just the top level players, even the players in the tier below were great to watch.

Also no-ones mentioned that horrid Paolo Montero, what a handsome bastard :P an absolutely beastly defender, dirty motherfucker too.

Fernando Couto was a cynical bastard as well, so was the man who's freekicks were worth £20 million Sinisa Mihaljovic
Don't think I've seen that mecurial Uruguayan Alvaro Recoba mentioned either and the first Asian superstar Hidetoshi Nakata!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
My favourite team. Not necessarily best.

Buffon
Zanetti   Thuram   Nesta   Maldini
        Veron   Davids   Nedved
                   Rui Costa
          Ronaldo     Del Piero

Gone for the true 4-3-1-2 style, and tried to get all the different types in there. The trequartista, the tricky support striker and a goalscorer.

Not easy.

very close. I'd take The Divine Ponytail over Del Piero though.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2012, 11:24:43 am »
The best league I have ever seen. Used to love watching it on Channel 4 on a Sunday. Baggio was my hero and I used to love Shevchenko.

Just think of the quaility that the league used to have. It was unreal!

Also this man's free kicks vere sensational
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:52 am »
The best league I have ever seen. Used to love watching it on Channel 4 on a Sunday. Baggio was my hero and I used to love Shevchenko.

Just think of the quaility that the league used to have. It was unreal!

Also this man's free kicks vere sensational

not quite beckham-esq those free kicks so dont rate him ;)

Ah lets not forget that beast of defence, Des Walker of Sampa doria

Some real cynical fukers like Tudor and Montero ( why me ref), Torichelli

Edit : Lee sharpe played for Sampdoria ????!!!!
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2012, 11:53:09 am »
not quite beckham-esq those free kicks so dont rate him ;)

Ah lets not forget that beast of defence, Des Walker of Sampa doria

Some real cynical fukers like Tudor and Montero ( why me ref), Torichelli

Edit : Lee sharpe played for Sampdoria ????!!!!
Igor Tudor!!!! Bloody hell I forgot about him. A beast. I remember we were linked with him under Rafa

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »
Great thread. I tried to pick a team of favourite players, but it's impossible. Got stuck at the central defenders. Of course Baresi must be there, and then you have Nesta, Aldair, Ferrara, Maldini (better at left back though), Thuram, Cannavaro, Costacurta, Stam, Samuel, all of them brillant. Then there's even more not quite at that level, but still excellent players, like Montero, Couto, Iuliano, Mihajlovic (not a great defender perhaps, but one of the best on the ball), and many, many more. What an era it was.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »
Great thread. I tried to pick a team of favourite players, but it's impossible. Got stuck at the central defenders. Of course Baresi must be there, and then you have Nesta, Aldair, Ferrara, Maldini (better at left back though), Thuram, Cannavaro, Costacurta, Stam, Samuel, all of them brillant. Then there's even more not quite at that level, but still excellent players, like Montero, Couto, Iuliano, Mihajlovic (not a great defender perhaps, but one of the best on the ball), and many, many more. What an era it was.
Ayala was there aswell but he wasn't at the level he became at Valenica

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »
Ayala was there aswell but he wasn't at the level he became at Valenica
Ah, that's right, had forgot about that. But he struggled to get games in Italy, didn't he? And, like you say, improved a lot after he went to Spain. He was one of the absolute best in the world about 10 years ago.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:56 pm »
Big big fan of Serie A.

My favourite moment was when Roma beat Parma to win the Scudetto back in 2001.

Roma had a fantastic side led by the local hero Totti.

The game which clinched it for them was one I will never forget. The atmosphere at the Olimpico that day was unbelievable.

I've still got my Roma 2001 kit with "Totti 10" on the back. Boss. Still fits too, which means I havent grown at all in the last 10 or so years!
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »
That Roma team was really complete.The only width they had was coming from their fullbacks but what a pair of fullbacks,eh?Candela was really underrated and didn't get much of a chance in the national team cause Lizarazu was already bossing that position.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RyanBabelsFish

• used2bee1101
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
An amazing era with some of the finest coaches in the world pitting their wits against one another..............

My Tips @ www.inside-bet.com

RH: "You're under pressure as manager of Liverpool if you lose two games at any point in the season and we've already lost, five I think, out of eight, or is it four?"

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »
Candela was really underrated and didn't get much of a chance in the national team cause Lizarazu was already bossing that position.
He was excellent. Both him and Lizarazu are two of the best left backs I've seen, and Candela would have been a regular in pretty much any other National team apart from his own back then. Perhaps not in Italy and Brazil (Maldini and Roberto Carlos), but at the time, Candela was almost as good as anyone of them.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:14 pm »
Give Channel 4 their due. Their coverage was class.

A team of players it was an honor and a pleasure to watch:

Francesco Toldo
Cafu -- Aldair -- Ciro Ferrara -- Maldini
         Angelo di Livio -- Zidane
                  Rui -- Totti
             Batigol -- Baggio

Bench:  Angelo Peruzzi, Thuram, J. Zanetti, Stefano Fiore, Donadoni, Del Piero, Vieri

Also - Del Piero > Baggio.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
He was excellent. Both him and Lizarazu are two of the best left backs I've seen, and Candela would have been a regular in pretty much any other National team apart from his own back then. Perhaps not in Italy and Brazil (Maldini and Roberto Carlos), but at the time, Candela was almost as good as anyone of them.
great thing about him was that he could play right back too :)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:39 pm »
Didnt Channel 4 sometimes show two games in an afternoon ???
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him