Author Topic: Italian football in the 90s  (Read 64157 times)

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
Re: Italian football in the 90s
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »
Two players that haven't been mentioned so far are thesem two; Dejan Stanković (an absolute beast in midfield) and Álvaro Recoba.

Also, how the hell did Robbie Keane geta  move to Inter???
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »
AC Milan had so many quality strikers, it was insane. JPP was a master of  the flying volley!  Wasnt he with Marseille before that , with 'Pelanty' and Abedi Pele ?

Yeah, they were all in the side that lost to Red Star Belgrade on Pelanties in the European Cup Final.

Ruben Sosa - was he at Genoa and played/scored against us in 92? Uruguayan?

If we're talking wonder goals, what about George Weah's solo goal against Verona (I think). I remember seeing that one live as he picked the ball up near the edge of his box and just kept on going and going. Amazing.

There was also a great goal scored by a Dutch guy for Genoa in their Derby with Sampdoria that someone has dug out a clip of once before on here. Can't remember his name but it was a great goal.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2012, 02:39:11 pm »
Yeah, they were all in the side that lost to Red Star Belgrade on Pelanties in the European Cup Final.

Ruben Sosa - was he at Genoa and played/scored against us in 92? Uruguayan?

If we're talking wonder goals, what about George Weah's solo goal against Verona (I think). I remember seeing that one live as he picked the ball up near the edge of his box and just kept on going and going. Amazing.

There was also a great goal scored by a Dutch guy for Genoa in their Derby with Sampdoria that someone has dug out a clip of once before on here. Can't remember his name but it was a great goal.
dutch guy was vink or vonk or something like that. it used to be on the start of their coverage, Marcel Vink i think it was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marciano_Vink)

Ruben Sosa i think only played for Inter in Serie A possibly Cagliari. the guys that scored against us for genoa were some guy called Fiorin with a great volley and the brazilian Branco who ended up at middlesbrough. a beast of a free kick. In the home leg Carlos Aguilera a Uruguayan striker scored twice. Im not sure what he did after that, there was a Carlos Aguilera in spain but im sure he was a defender. It wasnt the same person anyway.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
dutch guy was vink or vonk or something like that. it used to be on the start of their coverage, Marcel Vink i think it was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marciano_Vink)

Ruben Sosa i think only played for Inter in Serie A possibly Cagliari. the guys that scored against us for genoa were some guy called Fiorin with a great volley and the brazilian Branco who ended up at middlesbrough. a beast of a free kick. In the home leg Carlos Aguilera a Uruguayan striker scored twice. Im not sure what he did after that, there was a Carlos Aguilera in spain but im sure he was a defender. It wasnt the same person anyway.

Sosa played for Lazio too, had a decent partnership with Riedle when Gazza was there. Branco's free kick against us was from about the halfway line or something ridiculous, he just used to blast them in.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »
Does anyone remember how good Shevchenko really was? Unbelievable player and up there with the best strikers I've ever seen. His goal against Juve literally had me staring the the TV in disbelief

His reputation really was tainted by his move to Chelsea.  Really was a top top player.  But I dont think most will remember him in the same vein since his time at the bridge

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »
His reputation really was tainted by his move to Chelsea.  Really was a top top player.  But I dont think most will remember him in the same vein since his time at the bridge
Exactly. Massive shame and hopefully he is remembered for his time at AC

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGUNQAyzsEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gGUNQAyzsEg</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »
From 2001-2003 Christian Vieri scored 46 goals in 48 Serie A games, including 24 in 23 games in 2002-03.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Hp0DZxkUxg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-Hp0DZxkUxg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2012, 04:47:25 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGUNQAyzsEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gGUNQAyzsEg</a>

Movement is fantastic.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2012, 04:59:51 pm »
yep, he was their main danger man going into Istanbul, Chelsea ruined him

Sosa played for Lazio too, had a decent partnership with Riedle when Gazza was there. Branco's free kick against us was from about the halfway line or something ridiculous, he just used to blast them in.
Lazio your right, my bad, just mainly remember him from Inter. Branco's free kick was ridiculous, Hooper was about 10 miles away from it, in fairness he could have had Brucie there next to him and it was still going in (hooper had a great game that night but how and ever)

Offline danny boy the red

• arsed bead lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • Were going to Wembley!!!
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »
I loved watching the years when Lippi's Juventus were just hitting their stride.

It started to happen for them when Del Piero came on the scene, him up top with Vialli and Ravenelli soon to be replaced Boksic and Vieri, up against a Parma side with Asprilla and Zola up front and Thuram and Cannavora at the back, I used to love Sundays on Channel 4.

That Juve team were great though, Montero was an animal of a defender, I used to love him.
http://twitter.com/thebig_sam

"Excited about working with young Ravel Morrison, but he comes with a list of "dead important" instructions. He's like a fucking Gremlin.

The first three? Don't let him near fireworks; Don't let him drink rum; Don't let him carry a sword. Fucking hell"

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2012, 05:02:29 pm »
sundays used to produce some dreary stuff, few teams average over 1.7 goals a season per game

would be a boring 0-0, you'd go make a brew and come back to see its now 3-0

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL LAZIO
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:06 pm »
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL LAZIO

For the longest time I used to bang on about the intro celebrating a Lazio goal. What a fool I was.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
For the longest time I used to bang on about the intro celebrating a Lazio goal. What a fool I was.
well your not alone

i used to think they did that cos gazza was at lazio

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2012, 05:33:11 pm »
I loved watching the years when Lippi's Juventus were just hitting their stride.

It started to happen for them when Del Piero came on the scene, him up top with Vialli and Ravenelli soon to be replaced Boksic and Vieri, up against a Parma side with Asprilla and Zola up front and Thuram and Cannavora at the back, I used to love Sundays on Channel 4.

That Juve team were great though, Montero was an animal of a defender, I used to love him.

yeah Montero was actually much better than he was given credit for, pretty cultured centre back, great left foot just a shame he was so damn cynical, i'm sure he holds the record for sending s off in Serie A
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:35:44 pm by PhlegmJehst »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:08 pm »
Nothing to be ashamed about everyone thought that.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:08 pm »
Nothing to be ashamed about everyone thought that.
or that gazetta football italia just meant it was about gazza

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »
From 2001-2003 Christian Vieri scored 46 goals in 48 Serie A games, including 24 in 23 games in 2002-03.

When Ronaldo was injured, he was the best striker in the world. Inter Milan were fucking shite not to win any titles whatsoever without that c*nt Mancini having it handed to him on a plate.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:05 pm »
Some decent goalkeeping talent around then, some of it well established, some of it up-and-coming...

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2012, 05:40:56 pm »
Buffon has hardly changed.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
look at the way pirelli is on inters jersey

mad looking

i remember briefly Hristo Stoichkov playing for Parma, i loved him. i remember him scoring one absolute belting free kick from way out, but he only lasted a year there

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
My select XI of the era would probably be something like this (3-5-2):

Gianluca Pagliuca
------------Alessandro Costacurta---Alessandro Nesta---Paolo Maldini----------------
Javier Zanetti-----------------------------------------------------------Vincent Candela-----
-----------------Rui Costa------Edgar Davids------Pavel Nedved---------------------------
---------------------Alessandro Del Piero------Gabriel Batistuta---------------------------

Bench: Francesco Toldo, Ronaldo, Ivan Zamorano, Marcelo Salas, Zinedine Zidane, George Weah, Lilian Thuram

So many other players I could have chosen though - the likes of Cafu, Veron, Inzaghi, Balbo, Totti, Montella, Simeone, Bierhoff, Dino Baggio, Roberto Baggio, Di Livio. Granted, some of those players may be better than some of those I chose for my team, but this team contains the players I most remember enjoying watching, not those who were necessarily the best.

BLASPHEMY!!!

Change your formation and start Ronaldo. Best striker I have witnessed in my life time.

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gE3F0YPrQec" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gE3F0YPrQec</a>

I had seen that goal before on television and always wondered who it was.  He did an even better job running away from his teammates!  ;D 

Yeah, Inter should have won more with all of those players.  There was that period Vieri had where it felt like every cross aimed in his direction was going to go in.  And on his good days, Recoba had the best left foot I've ever seen--even better than Miha's, on the basis of all the things he could do with it.  I think I love him a bit more for never consistently being the player he could/should have been, despite (or perhaps because of) his status as Moratti's eternal pet project.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:33:28 pm by Emlynevermore »
Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2012, 02:21:33 am »
Dirty bastard Roy, getting yourself a quick look.. p.s. I dont blame him.. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wuEkNKsGNlk&feature=endscreen
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:23:47 am by BMW »

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:53 am »
Vieri was a fucking beast, even remember his season at Madrid he was fucking outstanding
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
He scored 24 in 24 in La Liga :o
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:00 am »
Vieri - the opposite of the one club for life man!

He loves his cricket too doesn't he? Always a bit random that but I think he was either born in Australia or lived there for a while as a kid.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:07 am »
His brother played for Australia.

I think they grew up there and headed back to Italy when he was around 16?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:21 am »
Brilliant topic
I've just this minute seen this thread - sometimes its easy to forget about this section of RAWK what with all the madness elsewhere
Loved Italian football.
Have you ever read the book Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew ?
Good read that and gives some good insightful, well, insights into the football at that time

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
Pirelli! Remember James Richardson talking about an interview Ronaldo did after he'd crashed his sports car when at Inter and said "thank God I wasn't on Pirelli tyres or else I wouldn't be here!" as a flippant joke and Moratti came out and BOLLOCKED him because Pirelli were livid.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
HOw good was Mancini? Was prob a bit too young to recall, but during the city game the other day one of the guys said "couple of the greatest players now managing these 2 teams. Mancini probably the better of the two"
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
HOw good was Mancini? Was prob a bit too young to recall, but during the city game the other day one of the guys said "couple of the greatest players now managing these 2 teams. Mancini probably the better of the two"
very good player, won the league in a partnership with Vialli at Sampdoria as well the Cup winners cup then they got to the european cup final only to be beaten by Koeman and the Dream Team. Think he was at Sampdoria for over 15 years, he won the league again under Sven at Lazio, didnt play that often though.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »
very good player, won the league in a partnership with Vialli at Sampdoria as well the Cup winners cup then they got to the european cup final only to be beaten by Koeman and the Dream Team. Think he was at Sampdoria for over 15 years, he won the league again under Sven at Lazio, didnt play that often though.

Brilliant for Sampdoria . Vialli and Mancini had an almost telepathic partnership .I wish i could upload my Serie A goals compliation from the the early 90's

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

Mancini was brilliant
The classic number 10 in many ways
Fiery little fucker too at that.
Difficult to compare him to a modern day player in terms of style and ability
But if I had to say someone who he was similar to I would of said Rooney

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:19 pm »
Another to have passed through Sampdoria:

Just a shame about his time at rent boys.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2012, 03:20:07 pm »
Mancini was a superb player. Not many like him left in football today, but he was a true, technically excellent, number 10, with great vision and dribbling. Pretty similar to Baggio, or Le Tissier.

To give you an idea, watch this (but turn off the sound!):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKbYca--bE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iKbYca--bE0</a>

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
mancini never really did it on the international stage but he was a very classy footballer