Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1936121 times)

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Newcastle United thread
« Reply #4000 on: March 11, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »
Well, he's massive favourite with the bookies. Can see some sort of clause being included that he can leave if they go down.

The fans will instantly warm to him if he keeps them up but not sure if Ashley knows what he's letting himself in for. Their last few managers have either been yes men or too inexperienced to speak out against an owner. We all know what Rafa's like with shite owners...

For such a poor quality league there could be an abundance of world class managers in England next season - Guardiola and Rafa coming in with Klopp and Ranieri already there.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4001 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:01 pm »
For such a poor quality league there could be an abundance of world class managers in England next season - Guardiola and Rafa coming in with Klopp and Ranieri already there.
Mourinho (probably) too, as much as I don't like admitting it.

Offline tanvir

• Kopite

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #4003 on: March 11, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
A ten-game contract with an option to continue for three years after that, was the talk.  I assume that's with a view to him taking charge immediately against Leicester, rather than building in an away at Rotherham to see how he fancies life in the Championship.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4004 on: March 11, 2016, 01:53:46 pm »

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4005 on: March 11, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
Does this make Newcastle our second team?  :P
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4006 on: March 11, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
Does this make Newcastle our second team?  :P

No.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4007 on: March 11, 2016, 02:12:29 pm »
Actually for some on here the Toon will be on par with Liverpool. Happened when Rafa was at the plastics. Some wanted them to do well.  Now I have nothing against Newcastle, my missus is a fan but remember same as Chelsea if Rafa does well so do they.  You can't hide behind "Oh I only want Rafa to do well.".

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: March 11, 2016, 02:18:58 pm »
Seems like pretty much a done deal

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4009 on: March 11, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
Would have to be getting a payday on par with Chelsea or Madeid to take that job. I do believe Newcastle as a club have potential to be challenging at the top end but not under Ashley. Does Rafa really just love stress?

Why can't he just take an easy job and enjoy life?
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4010 on: March 11, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »
Would have to be getting a payday on par with Chelsea or Madeid to take that job. I do believe Newcastle as a club have potential to be challenging at the top end but not under Ashley. Does Rafa really just love stress?

Why can't he just take an easy job and enjoy life?

I like Rafa and I hope he does well. But I've got to say he picks the wrong clubs to manage. From Real to Newcastle?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4011 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »
I like Rafa and I hope he does well. But I've got to say he picks the wrong clubs to manage. From Real to Newcastle?
Maybe he wanted to get back to business asap and there were no other offers on the table.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4012 on: March 11, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »
Man! Just went to their forum again - http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,97780.msg5915590.html
Their Rafa thread is exactly like our Klopp thread. Uncanny! :lmao

It reminded me of the incredulous frenzy on RAWK in the days leading to Klopp's appointment, which brings me to how fucking lucky are we to have Klopp!  :lickin

Anyway it seems pretty much done now - best of luck to Rafa (except when they come to anfield next month)

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4013 on: March 11, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »
Actually for some on here the Toon will be on par with Liverpool. Happened when Rafa was at the plastics. Some wanted them to do well.  Now I have nothing against Newcastle, my missus is a fan but remember same as Chelsea if Rafa does well so do they.  You can't hide behind "Oh I only want Rafa to do well.".

Tell me you are lying.

Offline pa

• humbug
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4014 on: March 11, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »

Totally agree.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4015 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »
Man! Just went to their forum again - http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,97780.msg5915590.html
Their Rafa thread is exactly like our Klopp thread. Uncanny! :lmao

It reminded me of the incredulous frenzy on RAWK in the days leading to Klopp's appointment, which brings me to how fucking lucky are we to have Klopp!  :lickin

Anyway it seems pretty much done now - best of luck to Rafa (except when they come to anfield next month)

After the attitude of Villa fans this fills me with joy. :D
:D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:38 pm »
Tell me you are lying.

Not in such overt way, they weren't outright coming out with I WANT CHELSEA TO DO WELL. But their posting style and wording suggested they did.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #4017 on: March 11, 2016, 02:36:33 pm »
Best of luck to him. Would be sweet if he could keep Newcastle up at the expense of Fat Sam and Sunderland.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: March 11, 2016, 02:38:59 pm »
Officially appointed. Good luck Rafa.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: March 11, 2016, 02:39:15 pm »
Rafa confirmed as NUFC Manager

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160311/rafa-benitez-confirmed-as-newcastle-manager_2281670_5411873

Newcastle United is delighted to announce the appointment of Rafa Benitez as the Club's new manager.

Benitez joins United on an initial three-year deal.

The Club can also confirm the appointment of Fabio Pecchia, Francisco de Míguel Moreno, Antonio Gómez Pérez, who will join Ian Cathro and Simon Smith to form Benitez's coaching team.

Paul Simpson, Alessandro Schoenmaker and Steve Black will part company with the club with immediate effect.

Speaking of his appointment, Rafa Benitez said: "I have the pleasure to confirm I have committed to a legendary English club, with the massive challenge of remaining part of the Premier League.

"It will be a challenge not just for me and my staff but for the players, the Club and the fans.

"All of us must push together in the same direction and with the same target in mind. This is the reason why I'm going to ask for your total support to successfully complete this task.

"Personally, it means my return to the Premier League, closer to my home and my family. I can't be happier.

"C'mon Toon Army! The club and I need your total involvement!"

Managing Director Lee Charnley said: "I am very pleased to welcome Rafa Benitez to the club. In Rafa we have, without doubt, secured the services of one of Europe's top managers.

"He has managed some of the most successful teams at the very highest level of the game and we are proud to now have him as our manager.

"Our sole focus now is to give our full support to Rafa, his coaching team and the players in order to secure our status in the Premier League.

"I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to Paul Simpson, Alessandro Schoenmaker and Steve Black for their service to the Club."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:50:11 pm by Swissgaz »
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4020 on: March 11, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »
Not in such overt way, they weren't outright coming out with I WANT CHELSEA TO DO WELL. But their posting style and wording suggested they did.

Come on, that was a weird one with Rafa there. They were all (predictably) cuntish towards him from the get go and most of us (obviously) love the bloke. I'd go as far as to say some wanted him to do well in spite of everything to do with them.
:D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4021 on: March 11, 2016, 02:41:07 pm »
Good luck, Rafa.  Reckon he could potentially do great things there (providing he keeps them up first).  Even with the passionate fanbase, it's not the same kind of pressure he was under at Real and they'll buy into him completely once he gets them motoring.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4022 on: March 11, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »
Baffling but whatever.

Congrats to Newcastle.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #4023 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »
hahahaahaha look at that gif:

http://i.imgur.com/j5NG4Gz.webm

Don't know how to embed webm's, sorry :(
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:43 pm »
Is it fair to say that Newcastle have now a better manager than Man United?
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: March 11, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »
Good luck Rafa <3

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4026 on: March 11, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »
Maybe he wanted to get back to business asap and there were no other offers on the table.

Then maybe he should wait?
What surprises me is that Rafa the manager is systematic, yet when he picks clubs, he doesn't seem to make the same analysis.

What can you say about Ashley? Is that the type of person you can trust?
Where have they finished recently?

2015: 15th
2014: 10th
2013: 16th
2012: 5th

Currently, they're 19th! So not too impressive. It appears there's an awful lot to do, to fix them. I understand the challenge of the project, but this is something for an up and coming manager, not for someone who just got sacked from Real Madrid.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4027 on: March 11, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »
Next season could well look like this -

Klopp at Liverpool
Pep at Man City
Rafa at Newcastle?
Mourinho at United?
Conte at Chelsea?
Wenger forever at Arsenal 

My first thought was don't do it, Rafa! But the more I think about it the more interesting a move it could be. Newcastle are a sleeping giant (or near enough). They have the potential to be one of the top sides and have underperfomed massively for a long period of time now. They have a strong fanbase, one of the biggest grounds in England, and an owner who - despite being a collossal twat - does have the money to back Rafa if he chooses. This season their spending is at £75m. Give that sum to Rafa and he will make them competitive.

Ultimately, Rafa misses his family and what other jobs are there in the Premier League which have that kind of potential. Liverpool - not going to happen with Klopp around. Spurs - very secure with Pochettino. Arsenal - only Wenger knows when Wenger will leave. Everton - errrrr no. United - even funnier. City - not for awhile you'd think. Chelsea - been there, experienced their shite 'fans'. Beyond that you have a selection of clubs with smaller fanbases, smaller grounds, less financial backing and little else to offer. In some twisted way this move does make sense.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4028 on: March 11, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Must be kicking himself he didnt take the West Ham job now.  This is a massive risk.

Offline PhilipG

• Main Stander
« Reply #4029 on: March 11, 2016, 02:45:11 pm »

...And then to Yernited, in the footsteps of his hero? ;)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4030 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:57 pm »
Then maybe he should wait?
What surprises me is that Rafa the manager is systematic, yet when he picks clubs, he doesn't seem to make the same analysis.

What can you say about Ashley? Is that the type of person you can trust?
Where have they finished recently?

2015: 15th
2014: 10th
2013: 16th
2012: 5th

Currently, they're 19th! So not too impressive. It appears there's an awful lot to do, to fix them. I understand the challenge of the project, but this is something for an up and coming manager, not for someone who just got sacked from Real Madrid.

If it was 2 months ago then I'd understand Rafa taking the job because it at least gave him time.

With 9 games to go, he's got an extremely hard task on his hands to get them going again. Sunderland at least have Defoe so they've got someone who can get them goals and win them games.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: March 11, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »
Next season could well look like this -

Klopp at Liverpool
Pep at Man City
Rafa at Newcastle?
Mourinho at United?
Conte at Chelsea?
Wenger forever at Arsenal 

My first thought was don't do it, Rafa! But the more I think about it the more interesting a move it could be. Newcastle are a sleeping giant (or near enough). They have the potential to be one of the top sides and have underperfomed massively for a long period of time now. They have a strong fanbase, one of the biggest grounds in England, and an owner who - despite being a collossal twat - does have the money to back Rafa if he chooses. This season their spending is at £75m. Give that sum to Rafa and he will make them competitive.

Ultimately, Rafa misses his family and what other jobs are there in the Premier League which have that kind of potential. Liverpool - not going to happen with Klopp around. Spurs - very secure with Pochettino. Arsenal - only Wenger knows when Wenger will leave. Everton - errrrr no. United - even funnier. City - not for awhile you'd think. Chelsea - been there, experienced their shite 'fans'. Beyond that you have a selection of clubs with smaller fanbases, smaller grounds, less financial backing and little else to offer. In some twisted way this move does make sense.

I can see the logic in that. What I don't get is how he can choose to go there now.  Maybe in the summer, but not now. And in the summer, more jobs could be available. He shouldn't have to jump at anything to get a job. What's there to gain for him if he saves them? Not a great deal for Rafa. What's to lose if they get relegated? A lot.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4032 on: March 11, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »
After the attitude of Villa fans this fills me with joy. :D

;D
Funnily enough Newcastle play Villa away penultimate weekend of the season, Villa will be relegated by then though, be to funny if Newcastle win that match to stay up.
#Sausages

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: General Newcastle United thread - now with added Benitez
« Reply #4033 on: March 11, 2016, 02:49:30 pm »
I would hazard a guess there's a relegation clause in his contract.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #4034 on: March 11, 2016, 02:49:47 pm »
Ugh - so wrong  ;D

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: March 11, 2016, 02:50:36 pm »
For a minute there I thought they were holding up a pair of pants.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4036 on: March 11, 2016, 02:50:45 pm »
Cant see Rafa saving them to be honest. Hope he does well as they wont be bothering us much, but he's got a job on his hands to get the best out of the team with 10 games to go.
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: March 11, 2016, 02:50:46 pm »
Good luck Rafa. Think he may need it working for that dickhead, but I hope he does well.

And if he helps to send Allardyce down, so much the better!
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: March 11, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »
I would hazard a guess there's a relegation clause in his contract.

Definitely.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #4039 on: March 11, 2016, 02:51:52 pm »
For a minute there I thought they were holding up a pair of pants.

;D

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"