Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 267955 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #3280 on: September 4, 2020, 08:46:31 am »
By all accounts Big Navi isn't going to match the high end Nvidia cards so I'll be back with the green team in all probability. Looking at the 3090, but given the price hike over the 3080 I'll be waiting to see if it has the performance to match the price. Still wary of AMD gpus too as despite my earlier comments it still seems like pot luck as to how one will go with their cards due to driver issues. I've personally had very few issues with the 5700xt, but a LOT of people have. How about you mate? You going to be upgrading or sticking with the 2070s for a bit?

I think most of the issues for the 5700XT were down to RDNA1.0 which is still using some GCN arcitecture, I did stop recommending it at one point but the drivers seem good now. I think Big Navi will be able to compete with the 3070 and 3080 by all accounts, my issue with it is featureset.

AMD have done nothing with AI yet and DLSS2.0 is so damn impressive, better yet it's moving to the VR space too: https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-dlss-ai-upscaling/.

So proibably 3080 day one purchase for me, that said I do expect AMD to beat/match it in rasterization with Big Navi and they might even have some entry level AI stuff using the OpenML API from Microsoft, but it's playing catch up here.

« Last Edit: September 4, 2020, 08:49:35 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3281 on: September 5, 2020, 09:55:13 am »
The should use things like the Witcher update to really push Nvidia IO etc, the consoles were ahead for about a week :P but using something popular like Witcher could/should push more to accept this as base for games

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3282 on: September 5, 2020, 11:02:49 am »
Is this quantum leap forward going to lead to a quantum leap forward in game graphics/requirements? You'd have to think so, wouldn't you?

I think it's going to make it quite a bit less likely that I'll splash out for a PS5 this year, that's for sure. It might be better to wait for the mid-gen update.

I see it as major as I really think ray tracing is the big graphical leap

But the killer thing about this card is the affordability. It's bringing these features and power to the mainstream.

It's totally killed my interest in the PS5....

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3283 on: September 5, 2020, 01:28:48 pm »
Is this quantum leap forward going to lead to a quantum leap forward in game graphics/requirements? You'd have to think so, wouldn't you?

I think it's going to make it quite a bit less likely that I'll splash out for a PS5 this year, that's for sure. It might be better to wait for the mid-gen update.

Even with it being a big leap, it shouldn't actually push a jump in game requirements hardly at all as devs are obviously not going to be considering it at all for min or medium reqs, it is purely a higher end feature and isn't even like some of those in the past where lesser cards could opt for a particular feature while turning other options down, you either have the hw support or you don't.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3284 on: September 6, 2020, 02:02:14 am »
I think most of the issues for the 5700XT were down to RDNA1.0 which is still using some GCN arcitecture, I did stop recommending it at one point but the drivers seem good now. I think Big Navi will be able to compete with the 3070 and 3080 by all accounts, my issue with it is featureset.

AMD have done nothing with AI yet and DLSS2.0 is so damn impressive, better yet it's moving to the VR space too: https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-dlss-ai-upscaling/.

So proibably 3080 day one purchase for me, that said I do expect AMD to beat/match it in rasterization with Big Navi and they might even have some entry level AI stuff using the OpenML API from Microsoft, but it's playing catch up here.

Nah, there are still issues for many with 20.8.1 (latest drivers). They've finally fixed freesync, which has been broken for many people since 20.4.1 (so since April), but there are still issues galore and I just feel that given that it's been a year since launch it's completely unacceptable.

That's great news regarding dlss and VR though and that's just solidified my decision even more to go back to Nvidia. Love my 3900x, but the more I think about it the more I'm not disposed to roll the dice again with an AMD gpu.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #3285 on: September 8, 2020, 08:55:14 pm »
So I am gonna build and new rig fit for a RTX 3060 doh i mean 3070!, earlier budget went out the window. Something like this:

Case
CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)

1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler

£900. all in.

Any thoughts are most welcome. I did some research but have not did a build in 6 years and things have changed !

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 8, 2020, 09:51:19 pm by Redmaj »
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: September 8, 2020, 08:59:39 pm »
By the time the 3060 comes out (it hasn’t even been announced) you should be able to buy the 4000 Ryzen Chips as well
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3287 on: September 8, 2020, 09:49:27 pm »
By the time the 3060 comes out (it hasn’t even been announced) you should be able to buy the 4000 Ryzen Chips as well

lol meant the 3070, due in october i think :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3288 on: September 9, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »
I's say still wait for what RDNA 2 has to offer

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3289 on: September 9, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
I's say still wait for what RDNA 2 has to offer

Yeah am waiting until october probably beyond until I can get a card. Just looking some pointers on the spec. Did a lot of reading but obviously some people on here have deeper knowledge.

That new xbox deal looks great value!   

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3290 on: September 9, 2020, 08:39:53 pm »
Ryzen3 and RDNA2 events confirmed for October

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: September 14, 2020, 07:57:56 pm »
I've pencilled in the 3080 and, I dunno, a 750w power supply

Been loyal to AMD for years but this is just an amazing new generation. My deadline is "Cyberpunk-ready", so time to see what AMD do... but I get the feeling it's hard to make a wrong move. The 3070 and the 3080 are just a new standard. If AMD match that it'll be incredible.

Here's hoping for a price war!  ;D

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3292 on: September 16, 2020, 03:08:35 pm »
3080 FE:
vs 2080
68% faster at 4K
47% faster at 1440p

vs 2080ti
31% faster at 4K
21% faster at 1440p

330W power draw (!!)
Little to no overclocking headroom

Truly a balls to the wall card, I think the AIB cards are going to be horrible. There are already 4 and 5 fan variants with fans on both sides.

Great value compared to the 2080TI but no where near the hype levels generated.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:12:00 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3293 on: September 16, 2020, 03:23:54 pm »
Important thing is that even drawing 300+W that thermals match 2080 and 2080ti with no detriment to your CPU thermals.

Was mentioned on Jayztwocents that if you are running liquid cooling or AIO then having some warm air blowing over your RAM is better than no air at all.

It's a game changer

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3294 on: September 16, 2020, 03:56:02 pm »
Jay's review is awful.

He's yelling at the camera "UP TO 90% PERFORMANCE INCREASE OVER THE 2080 FOR THE SAME LAUNCH PRICE" which isn't close to reality, honestly not sure how he got to that number.

Then he's banging on about thermals whilst only testing on an open-air bench ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3295 on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:30 pm »
Lol I know. I'm waiting on the 5 hour video split over 20 videos by GamersNexus :P

Or sit through the 20 adverts from Linus tech tips before his 90's spiked hair and suspiciously high voice kicks in

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3296 on: September 16, 2020, 04:27:01 pm »
Lol I know. I'm waiting on the 5 hour video split over 20 videos by GamersNexus :P

Or sit through the 20 adverts from Linus tech tips before his 90's spiked hair and suspiciously high voice kicks in

Yeah I use GN as a podcast substitute whilst working ;D

I still think written reviews are king, TechPowerUp are usually good:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3297 on: September 16, 2020, 05:51:50 pm »
3080 FE:
vs 2080
68% faster at 4K
47% faster at 1440p

vs 2080ti
31% faster at 4K
21% faster at 1440p

330W power draw (!!)
Little to no overclocking headroom

Truly a balls to the wall card, I think the AIB cards are going to be horrible. There are already 4 and 5 fan variants with fans on both sides.

Great value compared to the 2080TI but no where near the hype levels generated.

It's not 31 percent faster than a 2080ti at 4K in any of the Gamer's Nexus benchmarks.  Only watched the benches in the vid once through and haven't done the maths, but I don't think that it's even close to that for most of the titles they measured.  Looks closer to 20-25 percent at first glance (so still decent, mind).  That said, the gap then closes significantly when both cards are overclocked given that - as you mentioned - the 3080 doesn't overclock particularly well and certainly not as well as the 2080ti.

I agree that (from the numbers I've seen thus far) that the 3080 doesn't match the hype,  but where I feel that the new cards may actually live up to pre-release expectations and touted performance advantage is in titles implementing Ray Tracing.  It didn't really occur to me at the time, but Nvidia's performance expectations were largely based around titles which implemented that. We'll see. 

I'm not sure why you've put the double exclamation marks at the 330w power draw.  An overclocked 2080ti or 1080ti will hit around those figures, so given how much more powerful the new line is, it's hardly unexpected.  The 3080 is actually far more energy efficient than it's predecessors.

I also agree with you about Jay.  I personally think that he's a smug, self-satisfied prick and have seen so much outright bullshit out of him that I don't even watch his stuff anymore.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:43:30 pm by Darren G »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3298 on: September 16, 2020, 07:47:54 pm »
I'm VERY tempted to not even wait for AMD, the 3080 reviews today are 4 / 5 star - it is the landmark I thought it would be
My past year of "ray tracing is the next big thing!" posts is coming true :D

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review

"A Huge Generational Leap in Performance"

The 3080 does totally match the hype but then I don't do hype, I do real builds arely on 1) my mates from the IT industry or 2) my local mate who runs a PC upgrade business, on top of my own nous

In case it helps anyone I had an email chat with the latter and here's the questions & answers:

Me:
1) is it better to wait and see what AMD do?
2) Do you think there will be a shortage of nvidia's cards?
3) I almost certainly will need a new power supply! What do you reckon?

Pro Mate:
1. Possibly, my instinct tells me AMD have something "reasonable". I think they may have a card that lands faster than a 3070, but maybe not a 3080...or at best the same as a 3080 in rasterization. I think if they do, they will undercut Nvidia with it to gain market share.
From what we know, AMD's new Big Navi cards will have hardware based Ray Tracing, but again I have doubts it will be quite on Ampere's level... though we'll have to see.

2. I would say there will be a very high chance they will blow out of stock at launch, and probably be low for 3 or 4 weeks after that. Barring any further lock downs etc, I expect that to settle.

3. Yes, you will need a decent, probably 750w+ PSU of good quality as the 3080 needs 320w

YMMV but I'm hell-for-leather DEFINITELY getting ray tracing setup for Cyberpunk. I don't mind if anyone waits to see what I buy. I'm tech obsessed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:52:18 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3299 on: September 16, 2020, 10:01:11 pm »
"A Huge Generational Leap in Performance"

The 3080 does totally match the hype but then I don't do hype, I do real builds arely on 1) my mates from the IT industry or 2) my local mate who runs a PC upgrade business, on top of my own nous

One obvious point, it is a new generation of card, so it should be a generational leap from them.  ;D

While it is undoubtedly a great card, I think nvidia should have pushed that fact harder in their launch event rather than focusing too much on the hyperbole of 'twice as fast as a 2080' that was never going to stand up to scrutiny and has probably resulted in the reviews being a little down on how they might have otherwise been.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3300 on: September 17, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »
I've never seen so many tech sites become unavailable at once :lmao

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: September 17, 2020, 04:16:25 pm »
3080 or bust :)

Probably bust at these prices!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3302 on: September 17, 2020, 04:27:01 pm »
4k monitors are still shite and overpriced though, unless you’re happy with a TV on your desk or have a living room PC setup the 3080 does seem a bit overkill
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:06:03 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3303 on: September 17, 2020, 04:45:18 pm »
I've got a curved 2k-ish HDR monitor. FPS mean more to me than resolution.

I want a 3080 for the next few years of gaming, really. It's future proofing my system.

And there is no kill like overkill!

Online adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3304 on: September 17, 2020, 07:40:56 pm »
I've never seen so many tech sites become unavailable at once :lmao

Scan hiked their prices as well by the looks of it, loads of screenshots on their facebook posts.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3305 on: September 18, 2020, 04:52:37 am »
I've got a curved 2k-ish HDR monitor. FPS mean more to me than resolution.

I want a 3080 for the next few years of gaming, really. It's future proofing my system.

And there is no kill like overkill!

Doubt it.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3306 on: September 18, 2020, 06:06:51 am »
Doubt it.

You don't think a 3080 will do top specs 2K gaming for a solid 5 years? Even a 2080 does ray tracing on high/ultra with 45 FPS for just about anything out there.

Unless the next thing after ray tracing comes around the corner fairly sooner I would have thought a 3080 would be fairly safe for some time.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3307 on: September 18, 2020, 07:09:34 am »
You don't think a 3080 will do top specs 2K gaming for a solid 5 years? Even a 2080 does ray tracing on high/ultra with 45 FPS for just about anything out there.

Unless the next thing after ray tracing comes around the corner fairly sooner I would have thought a 3080 would be fairly safe for some time.

Let me state up front that this is conjecture upon my part. Do I think that it will last five years though? No. I think that we'll see an exponential increase in what games demand over the next few years. It also depends what you want though in terms of settings and fps and what you're playing. The hardest game currently on the gpu is probably RDR2. At 2K ultra the 2080ti drops to the low 40s (high 30s in Saint Denis) and that's without RT. Now, right now that's an outlier. In three years from now though, who knows. Game engines will likely be progressing with the new consoles I feel, but we'll see. I'm in no way trying to disuade anyone from their purchase and will possibly be getting a 3080 myself. At the end of the day it's a bloody good card whichever way you cut it. Five years is a long time in gaming though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:08:55 am by Darren G »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3308 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:50 am »
Let me state up front that this is conjecture upon my part. Do I think that it will last five years though? No. I think that we'll see an exponential increase in what games demand over the next few years. It also depends what you want though in terms of settings and fps and what you're playing. The hardest game currently on the gpu is probably RDR2. At 2K ultra the 2080ti drops to the low 40s (high 30s in Saint Denis) at 2K and that's without RT. Now, right now that's an outlier. In three years from now though, who knows. Game engines will likely be progressing with the new consoles I feel, but we'll see. I'm in no way trying to disuade anyone from their purchase and will possibly be getting a 3080 myself. At the end of the day it's a bloody good card whichever way you cut it. Five years is a long time in gaming though.

Why didn't you post this originally instead of a shitty little Doubt It?

Anywho. I don't mean future proof as in my PC will be top of the line for years to come. Like the four year old card in it now, I am sure in several years I'll be ekeing out performance and running games at acceptable to good levels.

This card is clearly going to bridge the gap for systems like mine, whose current bottleneck is the GPU (I upgraded the CPU last year).

No, it isn't possible to buy any one component that absolutely guarantees your machine is top of the line for years and years to come. I expect it to be amazing for two years, standard for two years, and then I'll probably be on a solid but creaking system.

Being able to play games in a few years is ,obviously, future proofing my system. (You seem to be conflating 'the future' with 'eternity').I actually think my current card is performing well, but the clock is running down now...

And just a note from inside the gaming industry, the amount of people out there with less than spectacular machines is huge. Sure, you'll get games that for-sure drive upgrades and have high requirements. That's a lot of money to leave on the table, and a new set of consoles will probably yet again stabilise a set of specs developers aim for.

I can't see this new GPU generation being a wrong move, in terms of upgrades. I actually think the next few years of cards will be iterative based on Ampere and Big Navi architecture.

Moving to the newest architecture standards is always future proofing your system. Sure there's a timelimit to that, but I didn't think that needed spelling out  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:18:43 am by ToneLa »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3309 on: September 18, 2020, 12:24:33 pm »
I'd still wait a little longer for RDNA2, a few rumours make them sound pretty special
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:26:15 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3310 on: September 21, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »
Unreal, the fucking state of the planet at the minute and you can't even be civil discussing tech! :no

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3311 on: September 22, 2020, 01:51:21 am »
Let me state up front that this is conjecture upon my part. Do I think that it will last five years though? No. I think that we'll see an exponential increase in what games demand over the next few years. It also depends what you want though in terms of settings and fps and what you're playing. The hardest game currently on the gpu is probably RDR2. At 2K ultra the 2080ti drops to the low 40s (high 30s in Saint Denis) and that's without RT. Now, right now that's an outlier. In three years from now though, who knows. Game engines will likely be progressing with the new consoles I feel, but we'll see. I'm in no way trying to disuade anyone from their purchase and will possibly be getting a 3080 myself. At the end of the day it's a bloody good card whichever way you cut it. Five years is a long time in gaming though.

I don't have 2080ti but Notebook Check says 42fps on ultra/4K (which for me, is completely acceptable anyway), and 2K it's 76FPS+.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-Desktop-Graphics-Card.386296.0.html

ToneLa's point that he'll be playing in 2K is the key thing here. You're right that over the next few years we're going to see games becoming more and more demanding - but more demanding might mean more at the top end - for people that want to play at highest settings at all times, i.e. at 4K.

That means increasingly 2K ultra will become an overall 'medium' graphics setting, as 4K becomes increasingly the standard for high performance. In that context I'd be fairly surprised if 3080 wasn't still able to do the job for another 5 years.

IMO the best way to future proof is to upgrade when there's an inflection point in the development of technology. We don't get improvements in GPUs like this one every year. I'd be stunned if we got a 4080 next year that represented as much of a step forward. On the other hand, what you don't want to do is to spend big on a 2080 in July 2020 when the 3080 is 2 months away and about to fundamentally change what games require. So getting the 3080 is, for me, the definition of future proofing. It's getting the tech at the start of a new cycle, with the longest possible lead in before the next big advance in development.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:57:13 am by Redcap »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3312 on: September 22, 2020, 04:55:08 am »
I disagree with much of your first few paragraphs Redcap, but - and no disrespect to your post - am just over this entire conversation given the last page so will not address that further.  Just to clarify once more though, as the point seems to have gotten lost:  I am not suggesting that buying a 3080 is not a good move going forward by Tonela and I'll most likely be doing the same.  I just don't think that the card will last as long as many believe (even at 2K).  That's all it boils down to.

I don't believe that my own expectations from the card in terms of longevity constitutes future-proofing, but that's just my opinion and I don't want to go down the semantics rabbit-hole again with that discussion as this shit has gotten way out of hand already.  Titi is right in that there was no need for how this 'discussion' turned out and I certainly played my part, so my apologies all 'round for that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:23:32 am by Darren G »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3313 on: September 22, 2020, 09:08:23 am »
I've been running a 1080 for around 4 years now and really had no reason to upgrade (do wish I'd gone with a ti but oh well), given that a ton of games are optimised for console anyway it's not unreasonable to suggest that a 3080 will last for 5 years as I see very few games making leaps beyond what the consoles are capable of (Star Citizen the only one I can think of right now).

I do want a 3080 but torn on whether it requires other upgrades, my PC is getting a bit old now but it's still an i7 7700k with 32GB DDR4 RAM, 850W PSU, 1440p 144hz monitor (definitely not upgrading that) and everything important running off an SSD.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3314 on: September 22, 2020, 03:08:40 pm »
I've been running a 1080 for around 4 years now and really had no reason to upgrade (do wish I'd gone with a ti but oh well), given that a ton of games are optimised for console anyway it's not unreasonable to suggest that a 3080 will last for 5 years as I see very few games making leaps beyond what the consoles are capable of (Star Citizen the only one I can think of right now).

I do want a 3080 but torn on whether it requires other upgrades, my PC is getting a bit old now but it's still an i7 7700k with 32GB DDR4 RAM, 850W PSU, 1440p 144hz monitor (definitely not upgrading that) and everything important running off an SSD.

Have a look at this, jump to around 4.45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmife767u0&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=HardwareCanucks

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3315 on: September 22, 2020, 04:09:15 pm »
Have a look at this, jump to around 4.45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmife767u0&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=HardwareCanucks

Thanks! That was extremely relevant and very reassuring, I think I'll just stick with the build I have.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3316 on: September 23, 2020, 11:24:56 am »
Yeah, although I recently upgraded to a 3900x, I have to say that the 7700K is a beast and one of the best CPUs that I've ever owned.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3317 on: September 23, 2020, 02:45:16 pm »
If it is perfection you are after then buying the latest tech is always a good call, particularly if your GPU is 2 or more gens behind. CPUs, especially the i7 are still holding their own for a majority of games on the market. The consoles do seem to dictate what is the acceptable normal, however not everyone will upgrade all at once. As stated, there will be many who are still using 1080p and 1060 style computers, the market share of these is still currently high as only the real hardcore will upgrade everything all the time.

I have a 1070ti and 4th gen i7, with very few exceptions I get "very high" settings to run at over 60fps at 2k with almost everything. That for me is perfectly acceptable and suspect that in just over a years time I will have to start dialling those settings down on the latest AAA games. Even then I may start with the CPU first but this will require a huge rig upgrade, the 1070ti will do for about another 2 years and will be happy to do so. This is all personally for me, others want the best of the best. Nvidia are especially good at marketing and making you think you need the best, reality is you probably don't.

I for one gave up on keeping up with tech a while ago, I cant be arsed spending a fortune on tech that I don't particularly need. iPhone only got upgraded from i6 the other day and my car was over 12 years old when it went to the scrappy. Run shit into the ground then move on, Barcelona style!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:46:54 pm by has gone odd »
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3318 on: September 23, 2020, 03:35:23 pm »
I for one gave up on keeping up with tech a while ago, I cant be arsed spending a fortune on tech that I don't particularly need. iPhone only got upgraded from i6 the other day and my car was over 12 years old when it went to the scrappy. Run shit into the ground then move on, Barcelona style!

Yeah I'm the same, I do have one or two games that are very CPU intensive but updating everything for those just doesn't seem worth it. Even when I do have the latest and greatest hardware I rarely end up running on ultra anyway, especially for multiplayer games where it's more important to be able to see other players clearly than it is to have everything looking pretty.

I think I'll be trying to avoid the 3080 rush too, there aren't any games I'm playing right now that'll benefit hugely from having it, though the graphics card marketplace seems weird as some cards do become hard to find even when they should still be popular.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3319 on: September 24, 2020, 07:27:19 pm »
Well looks like I'm going with the 3080 rather than the 3090.  Just looked at the Gamers Nexus review for the 3090 and...not good:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xgs-VbqsuKo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Xgs-VbqsuKo</a>