Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 267972 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #3240 on: August 13, 2020, 06:00:32 pm »
You can get the new Total War Troy game free on Epic Game Launcher, but only for next 24 hours then it will cost ya £35...

https://epicgames.com/
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3241 on: August 14, 2020, 11:45:37 am »
Thought i’d pop my head in here for some advice.

Looking at picking up a gaming monitor this week but for the PS4 - basically just for COD Warzone. Been looking into what ones are good and my heads fell off.

Managed to figure out that the PS4 only runs at 60hz but the PS5 will run at 120hz. So i assume i should be looking at a 144hz monitor? The next part is 4k/hdr or not. Currently playing on a 4k tv and want it to still look as good but as soon as i search 4k the prices dont half jump.

Currently got this in my basket to punt on but just wondering if its not going to have the 4k quality my tv does?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8558994?clickSR=slp:term:gaming%20monitor:6:30:1

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated!

A lot of boxes to tick.

Really you're shopping in high end TV territory here my Samsung does 4k 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz - but that was £1400.

32 inch 1440p 120hz/144hz panel is where you should be shopping at, I'm assuming the new consoles will output 1440p as well as 4K? I really don't know. It should also have HDMI2.0+ as an input for anything which isn't a PC. Probably looking around £400. Example:
https://www.cclonline.com/product/asus-vg32vq-curved-gaming-monitor-32-inch-2560-x-1440-qhd-va-panel-120hz-144hz-75hz-black-vg32vq-290695/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:49:00 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3242 on: August 15, 2020, 09:10:23 am »
Guaranteeting me and everyone else thinks this when they first play Flight Sim 2020:

"Holy crap, this is so realistic! I can visit anywhere in the world... go absolutely anywhere on the planet!! Anywhere!!

...think I'll check out my house from above..."

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3243 on: August 15, 2020, 01:00:50 pm »
Guaranteeting me and everyone else thinks this when they first play Flight Sim 2020:

"Holy crap, this is so realistic! I can visit anywhere in the world... go absolutely anywhere on the planet!! Anywhere!!

...think I'll check out my house from above..."

:lmao
Have Gamepass and looking forward to the game being released on Tuesday and yes, checking out my house from above will be the first thing I'll do... :D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3244 on: August 15, 2020, 05:06:13 pm »
:lmao
Have Gamepass and looking forward to the game being released on Tuesday and yes, checking out my house from above will be the first thing I'll do... :D

:D I did it when Street View first came out. Nailed on isn't it

.... I've decided to get it out the way. Cause let's face it, taking off from JLA.

- take off from Speke. Wow, it looks like Speke! Garston too, I want a refund
-Look at my gaff! Wow! It looks the same!!  My roof is mingin
- Oh let's fly to where I last went on holiday! Wow! Looks the same!
- and this holiday I remember was boss. Wow, looks the same!
- fuck this, I'm checking out Greece cause I wanna go on holiday there
-.. Wow, where I'm going on holiday looks boss!
- Request a refund of the 99p Gamepass offer

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3245 on: August 15, 2020, 09:09:18 pm »
As an aviation geek, I cannot wait for the new sim. Checking out my house is definitely the first thing that needs to be done, followed by maybe flying over Area 51 and Pyongyang.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3246 on: August 15, 2020, 09:32:50 pm »

flying over Area 51 and Pyongyang.

... you've had some weird family holidays...

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #3247 on: August 15, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »
Are you guys using a joystick for it, or do these games play alright with keyboard and mouse?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3248 on: August 15, 2020, 11:24:10 pm »
Are you guys using a joystick for it, or do these games play alright with keyboard and mouse?

I do believe it supports controllers, and Ds4windows makes Windows think my Dualshock is an Xbox controller!

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3249 on: August 16, 2020, 01:48:42 am »
First thing for me is a payload of napalm and a quick flight over the tinderbox, back to Speke and get on a microlight so I can land outside my house, quick blimp then refund for £1, great value

That'll be it for me until FS2030 is released then take off from Speke and have a quick flight over the docks, notice there's fuck all changed, especially over Bramley Moore dock which looks the same as FSX, land back at Speke and refund for £2, cracking value

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3250 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:56 am »
In Flight Sim, as long as I can land in the road next to an offy, then get back in and take off again with a bevvy, I'll be happy  :D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3251 on: August 20, 2020, 01:41:15 am »
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-3090-price/

For those thinking of next gen GPUs, the price is steep but the payoff is probably quite large.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3252 on: August 20, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »

For those thinking of next gen GPUs, the price is steep but the payoff is probably quite large.

Doubt the payoff is remotely worth it.

With DLSS they're pricing themselves out of the high end.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3253 on: August 20, 2020, 06:11:20 pm »

i'm holding off a new PC for them but i'm not paying that. the 3070/80s will be more reasonable surely?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3254 on: August 24, 2020, 09:46:57 am »
Doubt the payoff is remotely worth it.

With DLSS they're pricing themselves out of the high end.

Depends what you want I guess.  All of this is still speculative, from the price to the performance.  For the sake of argument though, if we assume both the reported price and performance to be accurate, then the card is 25 percent more expensive than the 2080ti at launch and is fifty percent faster.  Whether you want/need all of that power will come down to the person, but in terms of 'bang for your buck' it's actually better value than the 20 series flagship at launch and miles better value than a titan.

DLSS is an factor, I agree, but there are also other considerations.  As a brief example, I'd like to supersample the hell out of my driving games in VR, which are as demanding as all fuck even without supersampling.  Even the 2080ti badly struggles with that at the moment, so given how much time I spend driving in VR (and will be hitting MSFS when VR support arrives too) the 3090 (or whatever it's called) is something I'll be considering as a purchase, even at the high price.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:11:22 pm by Darren G »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3255 on: September 1, 2020, 05:38:53 pm »
New Nvidia GPUs look great
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3256 on: September 1, 2020, 05:52:20 pm »
3080 seems to be the way to go?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3257 on: September 1, 2020, 06:08:37 pm »
Fucking hell these prices are insanely good. Mainly because we've been re-conditioned for a few generations but still.

Day one at RRP for me on the 3080

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3258 on: September 1, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »
3080 seems to be the way to go?

3070 probably plenty unless you are looking particularly at 4k gaming.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3259 on: September 1, 2020, 06:29:34 pm »
3070 probably plenty unless you are looking particularly at 4k gaming.

or VR.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3260 on: September 1, 2020, 06:44:38 pm »
Any mention of the rumoured 3090?
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3261 on: September 1, 2020, 06:49:19 pm »
Any mention of the rumoured 3090?

A bargain at $1499.  ;D

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3262 on: September 1, 2020, 07:33:27 pm »
A bargain at $1499.  ;D

Best run them in SLI then!  :o
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3263 on: September 1, 2020, 08:02:14 pm »
or VR.
I have an RTX 2070 and it is plenty for VR at the moment and for the next few years as VR tech is still a catching up. I will sit it out for an RTX 4070 I think.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3264 on: September 1, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »
I have an RTX 2070 and it is plenty for VR at the moment and for the next few years as VR tech is still a catching up. I will sit it out for an RTX 4070 I think.

I have an RTX 2070S and there's lots of headroom to be had in VR in graphically demanding titles.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3265 on: September 2, 2020, 12:37:27 pm »
Still going to wait on AMD, plus Nvidia will either drop prices or release something else if AMD compete so win win

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3266 on: September 2, 2020, 02:03:16 pm »
Still going to wait on AMD, plus Nvidia will either drop prices or release something else if AMD compete so win win

Compared with the previous gen of cards, it does seem like Nvidia have already taken AMD into account with this pricing and they are probably expecting them to be competitive with up to the 3080, as far as releasing something else, they will probably have dealt with the early demand for the 70/80 cards and will then be able to push out a 3060 for about £350 or so just in time to disrupt AMD's own launch.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3267 on: September 2, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »
Hats off to Nvidia there for releasing something above and beyond what was expected. When's the last time that happened?  Can't even remember the last time something with such a significant jump in tech was released for well below the expected price range. I tell you what, though: anyone who bought a flagship 2 series RTX recently is going to be a bit miffed. A mid range next gen GPU that blows the flagship current gen out of the water for half the cost? Ouch! That'll sting a bit.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3268 on: September 3, 2020, 01:10:25 pm »
Think the only people who wouldn't be annoyed would be those who bought the mobile 2080 super as they clearly didn't give a fuck about value in the first place.  ;D

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3269 on: September 3, 2020, 02:57:07 pm »
When will I be able to get my hands on these new ones then? After seeing the specs I'm holding out buying a new PC until the 3080, but asking around it seems like it won't hit the market til around November and then there will be months-long waiting lists for it? Was hoping I'd have it in time for Cyberpunk 2077 but I guess that's not happening.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3270 on: September 3, 2020, 04:54:46 pm »
Hats off to Nvidia there for releasing something above and beyond what was expected. When's the last time that happened?  Can't even remember the last time something with such a significant jump in tech was released for well below the expected price range. I tell you what, though: anyone who bought a flagship 2 series RTX recently is going to be a bit miffed. A mid range next gen GPU that blows the flagship current gen out of the water for half the cost? Ouch! That'll sting a bit.

Tough shit, they should have done some f'kin' research then.   ;D

Posted this months ago (yep, that's right, I'm one of those wankers who smugly quotes their own posts) :

"...... The 2070s is far better value than the 2080s. BUT...nvidia is expected to release the 30 series around September.  If the leaks have any substance they're going to trounce the 20 series in terms of performance.  In addition, the new chips are said to have a cheaper manufacturing process, so unless Nvidia..well, act like Nvidia then the pricing should be more reasonable.  If AMD's upcoming Big Navi cards are also competitive though, then we may see both cheaper and more powerful green team cards on the horizon. Given that, my advice would be to wait and see."
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 04:58:26 pm by Darren G »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3271 on: September 3, 2020, 05:07:43 pm »
You going to be dipping Darren or waiting to see Big Navi?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3272 on: September 3, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »
I want the 3080 cause this is raytracing baby!

Interested in what AMD do but it better be something huge

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3273 on: September 3, 2020, 08:52:16 pm »
I want the 3080 cause this is raytracing baby!

Interested in what AMD do but it better be something huge
Like most AMD well-wishers I hope they knock it out of the park so I can buy a cheaper Nvidia GPU  ;D. I'll get a Ryzen to make up for it though haha

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #3274 on: September 3, 2020, 08:57:11 pm »
Tough shit, they should have done some f'kin' research then.   ;D

Posted this months ago (yep, that's right, I'm one of those wankers who smugly quotes their own posts) :

"...... The 2070s is far better value than the 2080s. BUT...nvidia is expected to release the 30 series around September.  If the leaks have any substance they're going to trounce the 20 series in terms of performance.  In addition, the new chips are said to have a cheaper manufacturing process, so unless Nvidia..well, act like Nvidia then the pricing should be more reasonable.  If AMD's upcoming Big Navi cards are also competitive though, then we may see both cheaper and more powerful green team cards on the horizon. Given that, my advice would be to wait and see."

Good call.

How hard will it be to get a rtx3070 ? I see overclockers have some coming soon: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-geforce-rtx-3070-icx3-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-328-ea.html

And whats the story with different makes , palit, evga, inno3d etc. Some better reputation/build? Any to avoid?

Gonna tear up the new PC build budget and get one HOPEFULLY...
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3275 on: September 3, 2020, 09:01:04 pm »
Good call.

How hard will it be to get a rtx3070 ? I see overclockers have some coming soon: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-geforce-rtx-3070-icx3-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-328-ea.html

And whats the story with different makes , palit, evga, inno3d etc. Some better reputation/build? Any to avoid?

Gonna tear up the new PC build budget and get one HOPEFULLY...
Evga and MSI are your best bet, Zotac have really improved and Asus is too expensive

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3276 on: September 4, 2020, 12:01:44 am »
Good call.

Not even preorders for the 3070 until the slightly vaguer date of October vs the specific days in September for the 80/90 models, you'd think that they'd be fairly scarce for the rest of the year, since capacity is likely to be limited and it only makes sense to prioritise the more profitable 3080 model with that capacity.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3277 on: September 4, 2020, 01:06:09 am »
Is this quantum leap forward going to lead to a quantum leap forward in game graphics/requirements? You'd have to think so, wouldn't you?

I think it's going to make it quite a bit less likely that I'll splash out for a PS5 this year, that's for sure. It might be better to wait for the mid-gen update.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3278 on: September 4, 2020, 05:38:11 am »
You going to be dipping Darren or waiting to see Big Navi?

By all accounts Big Navi isn't going to match the high end Nvidia cards so I'll be back with the green team in all probability. Looking at the 3090, but given the price hike over the 3080 I'll be waiting to see if it has the performance to match the price. Still wary of AMD gpus too as despite my earlier comments it still seems like pot luck as to how one will go with their cards due to driver issues. I've personally had very few issues with the 5700xt, but a LOT of people have. How about you mate? You going to be upgrading or sticking with the 2070s for a bit?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3279 on: September 4, 2020, 08:29:46 am »
Is this quantum leap forward going to lead to a quantum leap forward in game graphics/requirements? You'd have to think so, wouldn't you?

I think it's going to make it quite a bit less likely that I'll splash out for a PS5 this year, that's for sure. It might be better to wait for the mid-gen update.

I think that we'll see the requirements increased, but feel that will be more to do with the new line of consoles being released than the new line of cards. Let's not forget that most major titles are ports from console these days. Even with more 'bells and whistles' on the pc versions of games, the consoles limitations have historically been the limiting factor more often than not, so with the new console hardware/tech I deffo think that we'll see some sort of jump.