Author Topic: Craig Johnston on Talksport right now  (Read 22461 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Re: Craig Johnston on Talksport right now
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »
Fat chance of that hey John, but if this changes peoples view on hillsborough it could only help our cause further dont you think?

I don't know, maybe my minds too inflamed with anything that has anything to do with McKenzie. Maybe I'm twisted but can't help seeing it as something they should have done when it mattered now jumping on a bandwaggon when time is running out and files will need to be released.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »

Superb interview - must be listened to - get on it.

Skippy is a wonderful man and his stories and attitude are inspiring and its clear he was and still is really attuned to us.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
Wow, just finished listening to this and I gotta say its one of the best interviews Ive ever heard.

The story of how he became a footballer is so inspirational. Think Il be telling that tale in about 10 years time to one or two of the little things currently swimming around in my sack :D

Also his rant at the end is quality. "Gordan Taylor, the lads have my number so if you wana give me a call I'l walk it through you!" ......... "Chairman wake up, get yourself in a room, 50% of the wages, and if you dont then your all cowards and your clubs gonna go bankrupt, how about that?" :D

Legend!
PSN: Pig-Swill     Xbox Live: PigSwill23
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
Terry Mc to Johnston ....How about Kruge as your nickname? I dont like that. Well thats it Kruge it is.

Superb interview and by all accounts sounds like a wonderful man

PS - Just finished listening to all of it and the common thread running through all of Craig's personal stories is full of passion, drive and a love....from studying like a demon to get the grades to allow him to travel half ways around the world for a trial with Boro while in his sick bed fighting to keep his leg, washing the players cars for a year so he has the money to pay his way while practicing 8 hours a day by himself, spending half a million quid virtually bankrupt banging on the door of Bayern Munich to get the Predator off the ground and lastly him walking away from the game at 27 to take care of his sis is just amazing. Totally forget about those days when he packed his bags and left us but thank god this interview reminded me why Craig is a true legend and one hell of a man. There was Utd fans there praising the man in their tweets and hats off to Keys & Gray for wiping the schedule to make sure they told as much of Craigs story as they could. I could have listened all day as it was inspirational......should have this interview tagged as a must read if you want to post on RAWK.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:29:24 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »
Craig Johnston was superb in helping the recovery of a young lady crushed at
Hillsborough.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »
Just listened...some great stories there. He's had an interesting life that's for sure. Speaks with real passion. Top bloke.

Offline ronnnie yates

• Anny Roader
  • today we settle all family business.
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
wow , what an interview , hate talkshite , BUT, this is a must listen to. loved the bit at the end with the wages/community comment , he is 100% correct , the players earn fucking stupid money

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »
Can't recommend this highly enough, whatever your opinions of the source may be. It's obvious how passionate he is about things that mean a lot to him. The story of how he was given his last league winners medal was particularly poignant.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »
wow , what an interview , hate talkshite , BUT, this is a must listen to. loved the bit at the end with the wages/community comment , he is 100% correct , the players earn fucking stupid money
he just missed the boat

i think he got screwed over by bad investments. he retired not long before the boom in wages. if he was playing now hed be on 100k a week. and he would deserve it.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 03:54:09 pm »
He is fuckin' spot on about wages, these designers for apple don't make 50-150 grand a week, yet they make apple billions of dollars a year.

footballers are living in a fantasy land if they fuckin' think they can get away with it any longer. Something HAS to happen. Football as we know it cannot continue, more and more clubs are going in to debt. The bubble, just like the housing market, has got to burst.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 04:10:37 pm »
Gordon Taylor now replying on Durham's show.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

Now there's a pair of c*nts I have no interest in listening to.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
Very moving from Craig there.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:49 pm »
he just missed the boat

i think he got screwed over by bad investments. he retired not long before the boom in wages. if he was playing now hed be on 100k a week. and he would deserve it.

One last thing, didn’t you have a big falling out with the FA recently?
Yeah, they fucked me over. Because of their delaying tactics, incompetence and gamesmanship I went bankrupt. It cost me Ł1.5 million and my marriage. At one stage, after countless pointless meetings with them, I lost it. I nearly punched one of them out. Instead I ran around the car park with a pair of women’s knickers on my head shouting “You’re a bunch of twats!” But listen, that’s a whole other story so I’ll have to tell you that another time.

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/webexclusives/94/article.aspx

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »
Just finished listening.I must say it was the most enjoyable interview i`ve ever listened to.Truley an
inspirational story and the manc fan hit the nail on the haed when he said Craig was a credit to Liverpool and a credit to his family.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline suptoyou

• Only allowed on RAWK after he's finished his homework and promises to be in bed by 10 on a school night. Classroom Frig Monitor.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:05 pm »
One of the best football interviews I have listened to.

Thanks for the link.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »

Durham is a c*nt.Taylor will spout out complete shite and Durham will lap it up.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »

Let us know, for me we haven't fought for twenty odd years for Talksport, McKenzie's lovechild, and their presenters (esp Gray) to suddenly jump on a populist bandwaggon. 
Its not populist though John, you could even regard it as a considered risk for them to have a Hillsborough week. Lets face it there's a ridiculous amount of LFC supporters that are either ignorant or uneducated about Hillsborough and perhaps indeed unaffected due to their age and locality so are uninterested. Translate that to the rest of the country and there's probably a spilt of genuine football fans that want this pursuing & justice brought and others that just want to hear how long Wayne Rooney's hair is now. So there's a risk of viewers switching off mate.

Good on them for highlighting it with the prospect of more educated sports fans coming out of the other side of the week.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 05:43:20 pm »
Craig Johnston is an inspiring man.

The week after Hillsborough I was with my son and daughter placing my scarf on the barrier near my old spec on the Kop. As I looked to my right, stood a yard or so away on his own, both hands on the crush barrier gazing out over the pitch, was a guy in a leather jacket and jeans. It was Johnno. He turned to meet my gaze. He told me he'd just flown over from Australia simply to share in the grief of the club and people he loved. The tears welled in both our eyes as he told me. We instinctively hugged each other, tears trickling . I thanked him warmly for showing how much he cared and how much it meant. We left him standing there gazing across the Anfield pitch he had graced not that many years earlier.

That brief moment helped me enormously in dealing with what was happening.
Nice story mate. Oh I recall him coming back sharpish, I'll never ever forget that Timbo. A good man.

Offline lfc786

• Kopite
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »
what a amazing interview from craig

Offline audioedge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What would Buddha do?
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:33 pm »
Craig is absolutely amazing, what a guy.  :thumbup

Why is Andy Gray butting in at every opportunity with absolute shite though?  :wanker

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:46 pm »
the guy should be employed and back in the game somewhere and somehow....legend and genius....a great creative thinker who isnt afraid to speak his mind...and without greed ...he really cares about improving the game,and in this country too.
Love him to bits ...top fella...i would have him at the FA and let him run amok....come up with ideas and back him till the hilt and make sure those things happen

didnt realise that the hairy-handed halfwit was married to a scouse girl?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:14:11 pm by horne »
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »
Haven't heard the interview yet but I can tell you Craig's autobiography is probably the best one I have ever read. Talks about how he just knew he had to fly back to Liverpool straight after Hillsbororough, top bloke.

Offline chiplege

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 08:53:22 pm »
Haven't heard the interview yet but I can tell you Craig's autobiography is probably the best one I have ever read. Talks about how he just knew he had to fly back to Liverpool straight after Hillsbororough, top bloke.

By far the best interview I've ever heard.  What a man, pure class personified.  Shame he isn't chairman of the Permier league, or Fifa!  God bless you Craig

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »
Its great to hear from a footballer who is actually intelligent. Also fair play to whoever's idea it was to give him 50 minutes.

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »
Just listened to the Durham an Taylor interview now an I gotta say its some of the biggest load of shite ive heard (dont know why I sound so surprised like).

Taylor is a full on greedy, in-denial c*nt. :butt
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
Just to say... what an interview. Must admit being a baby of 1985, my knowledge of Johnston is pretty sparse; before today he was just some ex-scouse Aussie guy who made Preds. But that was truly fantastic - heart-warming, inspirational, educational, all sorts of things. Fair fucks to him, the game needs more of his sort.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2011, 09:29:31 pm »
Funny enough, I was on the Kop the week following Hillsborough, when they had the ground open to let people lay flowers and the like, and Craig Johnston came walking past, down from the back of the Kop, with all of his family in tow.  He brought all of his family over to make sure they saw it for themselves.

I always remember that.

In those days, as now, you never got that close to the players, and to see him just stroll past you within a couple of feet was just strange.  I walked past him and gave him a solemn nod of the head, as if to say, "hi mate. nice of you to be here", he just returned the solemn nod, as if to say "no problem. where else WOULD I be".

I havent listened to the interview yet, so can someone tell me how long it is? and I'll have a listen later. Ta.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
Brilliant interview from a truly great, intelligent man, overlooked somewhat in the Liverpool legends stakes but Craig was a true Liverpool great, the Dirk Kuyt of his day if you like albeit with a little more speed and skill than Dirk. His rant at the end about money in football was spot on and so refreshing to hear.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »

I havent listened to the interview yet, so can someone tell me how long it is? and I'll have a listen later. Ta.

Am listening now, it says 50mins on the bar at the bottom.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »
Cheers.  I'll have a listen later on, or tomorrow.

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »

In those days, as now, you never got that close to the players, and to see him just stroll past you within a couple of feet was just strange.

Not that I disagree with you mate as I was born a year after Hillsborough but from all the autobiographies ive read and the tales Ive been I told I thought it was the opposite.

From what I gathered players wernt wrapped up in the bubbles they are today and it was common to see them out and about e.g. down the pub e.g. ive heard Aldo, Rush, Souness and Kenny all saying they were very close to the Everton lads and would often be in the pub with them.

A great story nonetheless mate and just sums up the man :)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »
Keys and Gray are talking to Craig on their show right now.  Absolutely fucking brilliant stuff!

I didn't realise how much Keys was affected by the Hillsborough disaster, as his wife is a scouser.

Keys and Gray have also announced that they're having a Hillsborough week at the beginning of October, as they want the truth out.

Whatever you think of them, fair play is what I say.

I imagine the interview will be on the site later.

Have they edited this out of the online version? I have admittedly skimmed through but thought it would be more than a 6-8 minute discussion
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »
Have they edited this out of the online version? I have admittedly skimmed through but thought it would be more than a 6-8 minute discussion

I'm listening right now and just heard it, about 25mins in. Mentioned for maybe a minute or two.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »
I'm listening right now and just heard it, about 25mins in. Mentioned for maybe a minute or two.

Cheers.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »
Listened to it earlier on, brilliant. True Liverpool legend.

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:57 pm »
The reason I support the reds today, being Australian and knowing the story of how he came to play for the reds is inspiring.

And he doesn't talk shite like most well trained sport pundits who don't call it how it is.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »
Not that I disagree with you mate as I was born a year after Hillsborough but from all the autobiographies ive read and the tales Ive been I told I thought it was the opposite.

From what I gathered players wernt wrapped up in the bubbles they are today and it was common to see them out and about e.g. down the pub e.g. ive heard Aldo, Rush, Souness and Kenny all saying they were very close to the Everton lads and would often be in the pub with them.

A great story nonetheless mate and just sums up the man :)

Apparently half the first team of the day was never out of the Conti, only ever went once (it was crap and full of poses) and i saw Rushy, Johnno, Barnsey and Elton Welsby!

Offline liverpoolsox

• Kopite
  • Camarero
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »
I understand people might feel uneasy about the source but surely anything thats educating the uninformed can only be a good thing. Im not keys and grays biggest fans but i say fairplay to them and hopefully itll be a success in wiping out some of the ignorance
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'.