Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 854648 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4600 on: August 24, 2012, 01:37:02 am »
Today In History
Aug 24th

Born on this day

Thomas Bradshaw (1873)

It was HARRY Bradshaw who was born on the 24th of August 1873. TOM Bradshaw was born on the 7th of February 1904.

Harry was Liverpool's centre-forward for the second half of their debut season in the Football League (1893-94) and he averaged a goal every other game with his total of 7 from 14 appearances to help his team to the Second Division championship, scoring the final goal in his first outing as the Reds thumped Woolwich Arsenal 5-0 on 28th October 1893. In the difficult season which followed, with the club being immediately relegated, Harry was the club's only 'ever-present' in the League and still found the net 17 times. Although he would immediately pick up another Second Division winners' medal in 1895-96, his total of League goals was a lot less (11). But as he had switched to the wing by then, this was understandable. His versatility in being able to play in different positions in the forward-line was a useful asset and he finished his Liverpool career with a very creditable total of 43 League goals, plus a further 3 in the 'Test Matches' which decided relegation and promotion at the time.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4601 on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:36 am »
Does rather sux that some of you know the thread is ending but nothing got said to others.

One private message from a Mod & not another word.

Hmmm, that's a bit disrespectful in my book.

Suppose that's the Yanks to blame.

whats this all about then
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4602 on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:24 am »
whats this all about then

I have no idea myself.

Bit of a shock to be told the thread ends in 18 days...........

hence the posts
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4603 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:38 am »
I have no idea myself.

Bit of a shock to be told the thread ends in 18 days...........

hence the posts
did it not just mean that in 18 days we reach a year since the thread started and therefore less stories cos all we could talk about would be last season?

thought it did, unless theres something i dont know

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4604 on: August 24, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »
did it not just mean that in 18 days we reach a year since the thread started and therefore less stories cos all we could talk about would be last season?

thought it did, unless theres something i dont know

I think that's it. This thread was started on the 11th of September 2011. Unless it is something that happened on a particular date during the 2011-12 season, there probably won't be anything to add after the 11th of September 2012 that hasn't already been covered.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:32:11 pm by kriss »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4605 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »
I think that's it. This thread was started on the 11th of September 2011. Unless it is something that happened on a particular date during the 2011-12 season, there probably won't be anything to add after the 11th of Septembner 2012 that hasn't already been covered.
thread should be kept near the top though

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4606 on: August 24, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »

August 18th
1990 Manchester United (Charity Shield) Wembley 1-1*
John Barnes 51' (Pen)
Att 66,558
*Trophy shared

i remember they replayed a friendly on tv that morning we won 2-0, when my brother asked me the score i thought he meant the friendly so wasnt happy when i said we won 2-0 when we hadnt. effectively as this is my first season following the reds this is my first ever match supporting us. my life is about to change forever

1993 Queens Park Rangers (Premier League) Loftus Road 3-1
Ian Rush 20' Steve Nicol 39' Nigel Clough 43'
Att 19,635

Our away form under Graeme Souness was poor, only 6 league wins in 44 games prior to this season but we kick off with 2 on the spin here,  and the first is thanks to Ian Rush, Steve Nicol and a lovely back heel from Nigel Clough, all in the first half for a 3-1 lead after Ray wilkins had drawn QPR level with an absolute screamer, it is nicols first goal since december 1991. i remember misreading a report on this game, the report linked us with andy sinton and i spent the whole of the next day wondering if sinton actually played that night for us and was convinced he would be a good buy...............dumb

2001 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Michael Owen 17' 78'
Att 43,935

fond memories of this, michael owen opened the scoring with a brilliant finish before a cheeky penalty from paulo di canio saw him fool pegguy arphexad at the kop end, arphexad stood in for the injured sander westerveld. but 12 minutes from time we made it 4 consecutive first day wins when Michael Owen's brilliant footwork dumbfounded the hammers and he scored the winner. My mate ron was on the phone to me after, "come on lets head out"
so we did. headed off to his for the night, brilliant few pints in a club. a very enjoyable piss up and weekend. the previous night i was out for dads birthday, then this, back then we had to get a minibus with 18 lads piled in to go home. or females, there was a few of them and i managed to snog one beaut which made the night even better. a few pints the next afternoon rounded off a very good weekend. a few months later Owen would score his 100th Liverpool goal against the same team. score all round :D

2002 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 1-0
John Arne Riise 47'
Att 41,183

John Arne Riise makes it 5 consecutive away wins on the opening day with a well taken goal following good work by Danny Murphy. Murphy stormed through their midfield and his pass was poor but a slip by a Villa defender allowed Riise to finish. it would have been better but a missed penalty from Michael Owen meant it stayed 1-0. the match kicked off at 2 and i arrived home at 10. that didnt go down well at home

our last win on the opening day until 2007 which would be against the same team

2012 Westbromwich Albion ( Premier League) The Hawthorns ?-?
errrrr creek in neck, shite result,,,errrr fuck off

Phil Taylor Liverpool's 8th manager took charge for his 1st game on this day in 1956

Transfers IN

Doug Rudham (1954)
Jack Hobbs (2005)
Brad Jones (2010)
Dirk Kuyt (2006)
Ian Rush (1988)

Transfers  OUT

Dominic Matteo (2000)
Nabil El Zhar (2011)

Debuts on this day

Paul Walsh (1984)
Tommy Younger (1956)
Steve Parr (1951)

Born on this day

Sam English (1908)
Dick White (1931)
James Harrower (1935)
John Durnin (1965)
Jack Hobbs (1988)

[/quote]

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4607 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »
IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH
1987 Irish Olympic X1 (Friendly) Lansdowne Road 5-0
John Aldridge (Pen) Peter Beardsley Paul Walsh (2) Ronnie Whelan
Att 12,000

im sure theres a programme upstairs, nice that some irish players scored, my brother went to the game aged just 15 on his own. He said Paul Walsh had an absolute stormer while there was a huge ovation for manager Kenny Dalglish when he arrived on the pitch as sub.

1989 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 3-1
John Barnes 7' (Pen) Peter Beardsley 60' Steve Nicol 90'
Att 37,628

for the first of 3 seasons running we kick off with a win over a newly promoted team, we take just 7 minutes to open the scoring when john barnes converts from the spot after a handball by bryan gayle. City levelled when they got a free kick after Steve McMahon and Trevor Morley hit each other like two freight trains on the same track with McMahon fouling Morley but coming off worse, the free kick was hit by Andy Hinchcliffe and deflected in off john barnes for 1-1. In the second we hit back, Peter Beardsley reacting first after Steve Redmond attempted to cut a cross out that he nearly put in his own net and although keeper andy dibble saved it, Beardsley was on hand anyway. Late on a marvellous run from Barnes allowed Steve Nicol to make sure of the points.

1992 Sheffield United (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Mark Walters 43' Paul Stewart 65'
Att 33,107

Before the match the ribbon was cut to officially unveil the centenary stand which was used to be the kemlyn road stand which was constructed during the previous season. Brian Deane opened the scoring for Sheffield united in the new premier league era, that new era allowed Mark Walters to write his name in the history books as the scorer of our first goal in premier league history and in the second half Paul Stewart scored the winner. 1 thing i noticed, in our first 4 games that season we had 4 different keepers jersies. Grobellaar wore a green one in the charity shield, james wore a yellow one against forest, a blue one here (that i dont think he wore ever again) and then in the next game a grey one against Arsenal, 4 keepers jersies for one season is very odd!

1995 Sheffield Wednesday (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Stan Collymore 61'
Att 40,535

Jamie Redknapp had an absolute stormer here, hitting the bar with one rocket and had two other great chances too but the day belonged to Stan collymore whose brilliant goal on his debut had us foaming at the mouth. A whopping 8.5m signing from Notts forest he repaid his first instalment handsomely, meanwhile at the back injuries at the back to John Scales and Neil Ruddock saw a recall for the frozen out Mark Wright who had hardly played in the previous year, but Wrights performance here and the rest of the season saw him win back his place in the first team for pretty much the next 2 years.

1996 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Steve McManaman 68' 74'
Att 38,103

Difficult to recall much from this apart from McManamans brace here, Macca's first after squad numbers were re-assigned to give him number 7, vacated mid way through the previous season by Nigel Clough.

2000 Bradford City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 67'
Att 44,183

Bradford beat us in the last game of the previous season but we turned it around here thanks to a thunderous shot from Emile Heskey, the first of 22 goals that season, it was played in glorious sunshine much like my day down at the golf club, the treble season is underway.

2006 Sheffield United (Premier League) Bramall Lane 1-1
Robbie Fowler 70'(Pen)
Att 31,726

Colin Wanker would have you believe this relegated his team, yes on day 1 of the season. After Rob Hulse gave them the lead, we fought back when Steven Gerrard burst through and due to his body having to readjust to avoid a high tackle he couldnt really get anything on the shot but the referee decided that as he had to take a lot of avoiding action in the box it was enough to warrant a penalty which Robbie Fowler converted. Colin Wanker is probably still crying over it blaming Liverpool for being relegated and probably blaming us for 9/11, the tsunami, the recession, JFK's assasination and the thatcher years.

2007 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Fernando Torres 16'
Att 43,924

was this the same ref? Anyway this was the day i fell in some sort of gay love with Fernando Torres, he made a monkey out of the chelsea defence to score his first goal for us, i remember me and the mrs had a nice stay in a hotel in dublin and got home just in time to the local to see this, i can still picture that first goal. I seriously was in love with torres when he played for us and this goal still gives me good memories inspite of the way the guy broke all our hearts to join the team he scored against in 2011. In the second half I must admit like the referee my first reaction was PENALTY. but maybe thats why im not a referee as it was clear from replays that Florent Malouda clearly jumped into Steve Finnan, this allowed Frank Lampard to make it 1-1. I remember his celebration too as i used to celebrate goals in a similar fashion for Liverpool and in general, and I always subconciously felt Lampard was taking the piss out of me.

2009 Stoke City (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Fernando Torres 4' Glen Johnson 45' Dirk Kuyt 78' David Ngog 90'
Att 44,318

I remember rumours of Rafa walking out that morning, and i remember also praying for 1 last attack due to my series of bets, torres first goal, 4-0 and a double of them. they all came in and i was 200 quid up, Man Uniteds shock defeat to burnley that night made it all the more sweeter.

2010 Trabzonspor AS (Europa League Playoff 1st Leg) Anfield 1-0
Ryan Babel 45'
Att 40,941

Babel was hauled off at half time despite having just given us the lead. a dibolical game and i fell asleep in the first half, the second half livened up with Jovanovic going close, Joe Cole missing a penalty and a brief cameo from Torres, when he was still some sort of weird gay fantasy......... well come on we did love him

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4608 on: August 24, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »
Can somebody explain why this thread is closing?
It's one of the best on RAWK. I understand that it must take ages to prepare, but I for one fully appreciate the effort, although I only share a few of my memories on here it will be sadly missed if true! :'(

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4609 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »
In History
August 20th
1988 Wimbledon (Charity Shield) Wembley 2-1
John Aldridge 23' 69'
Att 54,887

having ended the previous season losing to this lot we had a chance to exact revenge and did so despite going behind to a john fashanu header. with 23 minutes gone though wimbledon keeper Simon Tracey came racing out of his goal to head the ball away with Steve McMahon breaking but it went straight to john Barnes who played in John Aldridge to score, Aldridge who had missed a penalty against this lot in the previous seasons fa cup final excorcised some demons when he scored the winner with an acrobatic volley after another assist from barnes, charity shield winners again.

1994 Crystal Palace (Premier League) Selhurst Park 6-1
Jan Molby 12'(Pen) Steve McManaman 14' 70' Robbie Fowler 45' Ian Rush 60' 73'
Att 18,084

nobody expected much from us that season, i remember my brothers bird even thought wed be relegated, no wonder he ditched the dumbass but a much sharper looking Liverpool were up for this big time, an early penalty from Jan Molby set us on our way, before a stunning effort from Steve mcManaman doubled our money. Robbie fowler made it game over on half time and although Crystal Palace scored through Chris Armstrong Ian rush made it 4 to make it certain. I remember seeing the score and coming home from across the road after. "youll never guess" said da "it ended 4-4" he continued, about 3 seconds later me "weird, could have sworn in robbies the telly said 6-1! " haha

further goals from macca and rushie saw to that. 6-1 a crushing win, our biggest away win since march 1991 in the league.

2005 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Xabi Alonso 24'
Att 44,913

our first four league games that season read 0-0 1-0 0-0 0-0 and xabi alonsos goal here was the only goal in that run, good enough for 1-0

2011 Arsenal (Premier League) Emirates Stadium 2-0
Aaron Ramsey (OG) 78' Luis Suarez 90'
Att 60,090

a very controlled performance albeit against a very disillusioned looking Arsenal. although we controlled most of the game it wasnt until a red card (for the gobshite that is emmanuel frimpong which saw arsenal go down to 10 men) that we really turned the screw. The immediate arrivals of Raul Meireles and Luis Suarez enhanced this and both were involved in a freak own goal by Aaron Ramsey. in the 90th minute Suarez Lucas and Meireles were involved in Suarez tapping it home for 2-0 for our first ever win at the emirates, if you were told after one team would finish 3rd from this game and another 8th then youd never have guessed it would be arsenal higher, thats how much better we were that day, for arsenal they came home to news samir nasri played his last game for them while soon after this raul meireles left us. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4610 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
Can somebody explain why this thread is closing?
It's one of the best on RAWK. I understand that it must take ages to prepare, but I for one fully appreciate the effort, although I only share a few of my memories on here it will be sadly missed if true! :'(
i think it may have been a misunderstanding given that after one year most memories are already wrote
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:24:02 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4611 on: August 24, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
 In History
August 21st

1982 Tottenham Hotspurs (Charity Shield) Wembley 1-0
Ian Rush 32'
Att 82,500

phil thompsons mazy run allows Ian rush to round ray clemence for the games only goal, my brother was 10 at this point and ditched his team arsenal for us. wise move, 8 years later i was following in his footsteps albeit minus arsenal, ,,,, ,, more in march... maybe ;)

1985 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 2-2
Ian Rush 39' Jan Molby 85'
Att 20,197

1991 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 1-2
Steve McManaman 75'
Att 37,322

Think i was out playing all night as an 8 year old and it was one of them summer nights you were let stay out all night long with endless energy as you cycled for all you had around the area, magic summer that although this night the result was poor. City took the lead in the first half through david whyte. In the second half Whyte was through again when his shot smashed off the underside of the bar and the referee appeared to be very unsure but his linesman adjudged it to have crossed the line given us a mountain to climb. my brother used to order all the programmes and i remember in the reserves noticing the long name mcmanaman. how the hell you pronounce that i thought? My brother who was pushing 20 used to pronounce it "mc na-man" and it was macca who bravely dived in with city Keeper Tony coton for a header for his first goal. we were back in it and just seconds later we were awarded a penalty for a foul by andy hill on our new record signing Dean Saunders, Deano took it desperate to get off the mark but his spot smashed off the bar. DARN. we lost 2-1, Saunders had actually missed a penalty at this ground the previous season against the same team for Derby county, remarkably the penalty that day was saved by stand in striker Niall Quinn (a striker) although Quinn was said to be a decent keeper too, and it is even claimed on some website that he was registered as Irelands 3rd choice keeper for the 1990 world cup when they brought just 2 recognized keepers with them.

1995 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 0-1
Att 35,852

pretty good match, though Liverpool lose record signing Stan Collymore to a bad injury when he is creamed by John Pemberton in the first half, no penalty is given. In the second half a marvellous volley from Tony Yeboah gave Leeds the win, other instance were a marvellous save by David James in our goal to deny Leeds Gary Mcallister while Rob Jones hit the post for us.

1999 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside 0-1
Att 34,783

think Steven Gerrard in involved in a bit of handbags here, nothing noteworthy here though as we debut some disgusting green jersey.

2000 Arsenal (Premier League ) Highbury 0-2
Att 38,014

Graeme poll made a bollix of this. Arsenals first win against us since march 1994, both didi hamann and gary mcallister are sent off for us while for arsenal Patrick vieira also got sent off, it was game 2 of the season and already vieiras second red card. Lauren and thierry Henry scored for them.

2001 FC Haka (Champions League 3erd qulifying round 2ed leg) Anfield 4-1
Robbie Fowler 37' Jamie Redknapp 50' Emile Heskey 56' Wilson(OG) 83'
Att 31,602

this sealed a massive 9-1 win and including a returning goal for jamie redknapp who missed the whole of the treble season injured. we were in the group stages of the champions league.

2004 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Milan Baros 48' Steven Gerrard 75'
Att 42,831

our first game at anfield under rafa benitez and we came from behind at half time to win a match for the first time since may 1999 in any competition. Nicolas Anelka gave them the lead after a mix up between Jerzy Dudek and Jamie carragher, but Milan Baros levelled it up and then had a hand in Steven Gerrards winner, i remember we were in galway for the weekend and were about to leave a pub where the reception was shit but as we stood up it cleared up and we stayed put. also remember as mentioned the outrageous skill by Djibril Cisse near the corner flag and the red card for Richard Dunne

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4612 on: August 24, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »
in History
August 22nd

1964 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Roger Hunt 11' Gordon Wallace 49' 87'
Att 47,620

match of the days first episode

1993 Swindon Town (Premier League)County Ground 5-0
Neil Ruddock 19' Steve McManaman 36' 61' Ronnie Whelan 70' Mike Marsh 80'
Att 17,017

the only time we topped the league under Graeme Souness, first time we had done so since march 91 and since football began in 1992........with a 5 goal blitz over the hapless Swindon. Neil Ruddock muscled in the first goal before Steve Mcmanaman volleyed home the second, i remember the table meant if we won by 3 or more we were going top. And we did by some way, Macca added a wonderful 3rd before a slick finish from ronnie whelan made it 4, Mike Marsh then rounded it off with a wonderful 5th, 3 wins from 3. Although Macca didnt score again all season, and it was also the last Liverpool goals in the careers of Mike Marsh and Ronnie whelan.

1998 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 0-0
Att 44,429

this was actually a decent game, remember Ray Parlour missed an open goal

2006 Maccabi Haifa (Champions League 3erd qualfying round 2ed leg) Valery Lobanovskiy Stadium-Kiev- 1-1
Peter Crouch 54'
Att 12,500

we seal our passage to the group stage uncomfortably with a 1-1 draw against maccabi haifa of israel, the match in played in kiev and i can remember one reporter really stuck the knife in on benitez for this.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4613 on: August 24, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »
In History
August 23rd
1986 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 2-0
Ian Rush 5' 83'
Att 33,306

these goals were featured in a video where ian st.john picked his favorite Liverpool 11. Rush burst clear of the midfield for one fine finish while he scored another by smashing it in the top corner. not sure of the order. mike hooper makes his league debut as brucie grobellaar is injured. the first  game brucie missed since august 1981

1987 Atletico Madrid (Villa De Madrid Trophy)Vincent Calderon 1-0
John Wark 73'
Att 25,000

1989 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 1-1
John Barnes 24'
Att 35,796

we had to wear our 3rd choice white kit as our grey and red kits clashed with villas jersey although we would wear our home kit at villa park the following season, an awkward finish from john barnes made it 1-0 to us but David platt equalized with a second half header to make it 1-1.

1992 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 0-2
Att 34,961

Can remember my brother saying this was our worst home performance in  years, Anders Limpar opened the scoring with a neat finish before Ian Wright was given so much time infront of goal he stopped to check for a linesmans flag and then made it 2-0. can remember very little about our chances if any but Arsenal should have scored more. Jan Molby was the size of a blimp around this time.

1997 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 1-1
Michael Owen 52'
Att 30,187

blackburn began life well under roy hodgson but it looked like we would take all 3 points here, Michael Owen raced clear of their defence after one of their defenders made a mistake, the commentator reckoned it was patrick valery who had a short spell in england although he also referred to valery as a defender owen cut across to go clean through on goal, it clearly wasnt the same defender. It was one hell of a finish but we messed it up to allow Martin Dahlin to equalize late on for them. 1-1, 14 years later Hodgson would manage Liverpool at this ground against Blackburn in what would be his last game in charge of us.

1999 Leeds United ( Premier League) Elland Road 2-1
Titi Camara 45' Radebe (OG) 55'
Att 39,703

much was made of Leeds young team so this was a big test especially as we had just lost to watford and middlesbro and with arsenal and man united on the horizon, Gerard Houlliers new look Liverpool werent having an easy honeymoon period. We fell behind thanks to an own goal from Rigobert song but a superb curling effort from titi camara made it 1-1 and in the second half Lucas Radebe made it 2-1 to us with an own goal 10 minutes into the second half. not a bad 3 points at all, our 3rd straight win at elland road.

2005 CSKA Sofia (Champions League 3erd qualifying round 2ed leg) Anfield 0-1
Att 42,175

like the previous season we lose 1-0 in the second leg but still go through from the final qualifying stage of the champions league.

2008 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Jamie Carragher 85' Steven Gerrard 90'
Att 43,168

this was the day of a mates 21st so it wasnt a bad night, i remember this was robbie keanes home debut but unfortunately the hotel we stayed in didnt show it. we hadnt won our opening two games in the league for 6 years but this was a gift of a chance to do so, we did our best to mess it up. mido scored a belter to make it 1-0, i had to turn our telly off for a bit and when it was back on a goal was being credited to jamie carragher despite his shot being way off target and taking a massive deflection. so hang on, if i turned the telly off and we scored then if i did it again could we win? YES WE CAN. Steven Gerrard rifled home a last minute belter for the 3 points. 2 wins from 2. get in, lets all have a pint then.

2010 Manchester City (Premier League) City Of Manchester Stadium ) 0-3
Att 47,087

the feel good factor around roy hodgson appointment was already gone, pretty much that weekend rumours of a proposed takeover involving the mysterious kenny huang died, how good it may have been i dont know but i think i wanted it so bad just to be shot of hicks and gillett, worse still that day it was said that javier mascherano refused to play, this couldnt have against these moneybags for whom gareth barry scored the opener, barry was of course once a target for us. in the second half Steven Gerrard hit the post and the rebound from torres was narrowly kept out however it was all city, 2 goals from Carlos Tevez gave them a 3-0 win, a miserable day as i sat watching the game dripping from my own monday game that night. whilst with hicks and gillett still had control of the club meaning another transfer window would pass with no improvement to our squad. depressing few months lay in store under them and hodgson. 

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4614 on: August 25, 2012, 12:18:26 am »
Today In History
August 25th

1923 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) The Hawthorns 0-2
Att 25,000

1928 Bury (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Bill Millar 1' 70' Albert Whitehurst 30'
Att 38,411

1934 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Vic Wright 20' 44'
Att 31,615

1945 Burnley (Football League Northern Section)Turf Moor 3-1
Billy Liddell (2) Berry Nieuwenhuys
Att 7,481

1948 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 3-3
Billy Liddell Jack Balmer (2)
Att 37,393

1951 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 3-1
Kevin Baron 19' Billy Liddell 50' Albert Stubbins 63'
Att 44,055

1956 Bury (Division Two) Gigg Lane 2-0
Louis Bimpson 10' Roy Saunders 17'
Att 17,000

1965 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 47,259

1970 Crystal Palace (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Bobby Graham 28'
Att 47,612

1973 Stoke City (Division One)Anfield 1-0
Steve Heighway 6'
Att 52,935

1976 Westbromwich Albion(Division One)The Hawthorns 1-0
John Toshack 40'
Att 30,334

1979 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) Anfield 3-1
David Johnson 11' 58' Terry McDermott 52'
Att 48,021

1982 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Sammy Lee 57' Phil Neal 72'(Pen)
Att 35,652

1984 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 3-3
Steve Bruce (OG) 2' Kenny Dalglish 24' Phil Neal 67' (Pen)
Att 22,005

1986 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 39,989

1990 Sheffield United (Division One) Bramall Lane 3-1
John Barnes 59' Ray Houghton 65' Ian Rush 88'
Att 27,009

1992 Ipswich Town (Premier League) Portman Road 2-2
Mark Walters 39' Jan Molby 70' (Pen)
Att 20,109

1993 Tottenham Hotspurs (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Nigel Clough 18'
Att 42,456

2007 Sunderland (Premier League) Stadium Of Light 2-0
Mohamed Sissoko 37' Andriy Voronin 87'
Att 45,645

TRANSFERS IN

Christian Ziege (2000)

TRANSFERS OUT

Krisztian Nemeth (2010)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

David Davidson (1928)
Jimmy McDougall (1928)
Billy Millar (1928)
Albert Whitehurst (1928)
Colin Irwin (1979)
Jan Mølby   (1984)

DEBUT GOALS

Billy Millar (1928)
Albert Whitehurst (1928)
Roy Saunders (1956)
Mohamed Sissoko (2007)

Born on this day

Andrew Aitken (1909)
Tony Cousins (1969)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4615 on: August 25, 2012, 12:21:05 am »
25th August 1970 : Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 1

This was only the second evening match I saw at Anfield and oddly enough the first had also been a home match against Palace at the end of the previous season. In the first part of this 1970-71 season as a kind of tribute to the country that had just won the World Cup in Mexico but especially to the power of the free-kicks taken by Roberto Rivelino, the Kop used to start a chant of “Bra-zil, Bra-zil” if we got a free-kick within shooting-range. Most times those free-kicks came to nothing but occasionally they did and this was one of the occasions when one did. Emlyn Hughes took a fierce free-kick that was parried by Palace goalkeeper John Jackson and Bobby Graham pounced on the rebound. But Gerry Queen got an equaliser in the second half (and he would also get the winner in the return fixture at Selhurst Park the following January). During the years when I lived in London (1970-1984), I got used to the overnight journeys back to the capital. There was a train from Lime Street to Euston at half past midnight and, depending on who Liverpool had been playing, it was rarely full so you could nearly aways get a decent amount of sleep on it. But there were very few Palace supporters at this fixture and most that were there had probably travelled by road. It wasn’t much fun getting into London just before 5 o’clock before the Underground had even opened up for the day. But it was a routine I got used to even though I never really got used to having to go to work dog-tired after attending a match at Anfield the previous evening.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4616 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:14 am »
25th August 1973 : Liverpool 1 Stoke City 0

It is the opening day of the 1973-74 season and as defending champions it is unsurprising that we have a settled team and in fact 10 of the men who had played in the final League fixture of the previous season are picked to start against Stoke. The only change is that Peter Cormack starts against Stoke whereas it had been Tommy Smith who had started against Leicester at the end of April. Steve Heighway scores the early goal that beats the Potters.

Shortly before kick-off comes a moment that those who were there will remember long after they have forgotten the goal that won the game. Bill Shankly walks out of the tunnel and on to the perimeter of the pitch accompanied by Gordon Banks. Gordon was always a huge favourite of the Kop but shortly after our home match against Stoke the previous October he had been involved in a road accident that caused him to lose his right eye and he sadly had to accept that his playing-career was over. What Shankly did was typical of the esteem in which he held so many other professional footballers. The two men walked clockwise around the pitch and as they neared the Kop the noise rose to a crescendo. Shanks held back because he wanted all the applause to go to the goalkeeper. It was a truly emotional moment as they passed in front of that huge terrace and I remember reading quotes from Banks that revealed that he felt hugely honoured by the warm and generous tribute he had been given by our crowd.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4617 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:55 am »
25th August 1976 : West Bromwich Albion 0 Liverpool 1

West Bromwich are back in the First Division after spending three seasons in the Second. Willie Johnston gives Phil Neal some early problems but we weather the storm and break out to score the only goal five minutes from the interval. A long clearance by Ray Clemence is collected by Kevin Keegan who skips past John Wile and sets up John Toshack to beat John Osbourne.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4618 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
25th August 1979 : Liverpool 3 West Bromwich Albion 1

Our first League goal of the season is one of the best :  a Ray Clemence kick downfield, a Ray Kennedy header on to Kenny Dalglish, a perfect pass from Dalglish to Jimmy Case down the right, a brilliant cross from Case and a spectacular volley from David Johnson past Tony Godden. After we have gone three goals up, Albion get a consolation from a man we were strongly linked with at one time, Peter Barnes.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4619 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:55 am »
25th August 1984 : Norwich City 3 Liverpool 3

It is annoying to concede three goals on the opening day of the League season but pleasing that one of them comes from the “Big Fat Head” of Steve Bruce. We see Jan Mølby for the first time, three days after he has signed from Ajax.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4620 on: August 25, 2012, 12:24:41 am »
25th August 1986 : Liverpool 0 Manchester City 0

Now living and working in Wiltshire, I travel with the Bristol Branch of the Supporters’ Club for the first time. They seem to be well organised and I am still seeing their coaches on the M6 and M5 twenty-five years later. I remember a fiercely competitive match against City on this Bank Holiday Monday afternoon. What I don’t remember is that Ian Rush was sent off by referee Ken Walmsley as the players left the field, Rushie apparently taking exception to a shot a few minutes earlier by Kevin MacDonald that had struck Kenny Clements on the arm but about which Mister Walmsley did nothing. The red card was later rescinded so Ian did not have to serve a ban.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4621 on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:24 am »
25th August 1990 : Sheffield United 1 Liverpool 3

Sheffield have been promoted to the top division as runners-up to Leeds United. Opening the season away to a promoted club can be tricky but the Blades’ hopes quickly dwindle when their goalkeeper Simon Tracey has to leave the field with a fractured cheekbone after only a quarter of an hour. Ian Rush collides with Tracey but it is quite accidental. Full-back John Pemberton goes in goal but is beaten three times in the second half. United’s only reply is an equalising goal from Brian Deane but we are ahead again only five minutes later.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4622 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26:06 am »
25th August 1992 : Ipswich Town 2 Liverpool 2

It is two points lost rather than one gained because we lose the lead twice and the second Ipswich equaliser comes in the final minute. It is our second draw at Portman Road in the calendar year because we drew 0-0 there on our way to winning the F.A. cup in the previous season.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4623 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26:37 am »
25th August 1993 : Liverpool 1 Tottenham Hotspur 2

Our perfect start to the season (9 points out of 9) is ruined on this Wednesday evening by Spurs, for whom Teddy Sheringham does the damage after Nigel Clough has given us the lead with his 4th goal of the season.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4624 on: August 25, 2012, 12:27:09 am »
25th August 2007 : Sunderland 0 Liverpool 2

Mohamed Sissoko scores his only Liverpool goal and the win is wrapped up by Andriy Voronin who gets his first Liverpool League goal three minutes from time. In the six matches Sunderland have played against us since moving to the Stadium of Light in 1997, they have only won once.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4625 on: August 25, 2012, 12:31:34 am »
I’m away for the weekend (staying with friends in the north-west and going to the Man. City game on Sunday). I’ll resume posting after the Bank Holiday but in advance I will just share memories of two games each from the 26th and 27th of August in the past :

26th August 1967 : Liverpool 6 Newcastle United 0

Tony Hateley has only been a Liverpool player since the first week in July but in only his third League match for his new club he strikes a brilliant hat-trick. Emlyn Hughes is also on the scoresheet with the first of his forty-nine Liverpool goals. It is Newcastle’s fourth successive defeat at Anfield, a stadium where they have not won since 1950.

26th August 2005 : CSKAMoscow 1 Liverpool 3

Substitute Djibril Cissé scores twice and sets up the third goal for Luis Garcia as we win the European Super cup for the third time. Jamie Carragher captains the team in Steven Gerrard’s absence. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwG40KQmqKs

27th August 1969 : Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 3

I had only been to Selhurst Park once before and that was for a Second Division match. I still hadn’t been to enough live football matches to properly understand that a visiting supporter has to keep away from certain parts of a stadium when watching the team he supports play away. On this Wednesday evening in south London I made the wrong choice and stood in the wrong place and my red-and-white scarf made me stand out like a sore thumb. As the crowd drifted away at the end of the match, I was standing at the top of the Whitehorse Lane terrace. Even though very few Liverpool supporters were present and the hardcore of Palace’s support usually stood at the other end, the Holmesdale Road end, I was an easy target and I was suddenly surrounded by a menacing group of youths a few years older than me (I was only 16). A local man standing nearby saw what was happening and, although risking getting a good kicking himself, he jumped in and hauled me out and insisted on walking me back to the car where my mother and step-father were waiting and worrying what had happened to me. It was a kind gesture from a complete stranger who probably saved me from getting a severe beating. Palace as a club were kind too. I wrote to them to complain and even though the general behaviour of their supporters inside the stadium was not their responsibility, they sent me two free stand tickets for when we played them at Selhurst in the next season (January 1971). I took my mother … and we lost 1-0!

27th August 1980 : Bradford City 1 Liverpool 0

A year earlier this would have put us out of the competition. But this 1980-81 season is the first time that the second round of the League cup, the stage at which the First Division clubs enter, will be played over two legs home and away. We still haven’t won the League cup but Bob Paisley shows that he takes the competition seriously by selecting a strong team to play at Valley Parade. He is, however, without Kenny Dalglish. I am not sure whether this was because of injury or because he wanted to give Kenny a rest; Kenny had played in every competitive match since his arrival from Glasgow Celtic in 1977 so that amazing run of one hundred and sixty appearances comes to an end as the reigning English champions are beaten by a Fourth Division club. Ray Clemence can only parry Terry Dolan’s first-half free-kick into the path of Bobby Campbell and the Irish striker scores easily.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4626 on: August 25, 2012, 12:34:23 am »
Today In History
August 25th

Colin Irwin (1979)

Liverpool-born Colin came through the Junior ranks at Anfield and made his League debut at home to West Bromwich Albion on 25th August 1979. A promising start continued in the next League match with a headed goal at Southampton, even though Liverpool lost 2-3. But after appearing as a substitute against Nottingham Forest at the end of September, Colin lost his place and didn't feature in the first-team again in a League game until the following Spring. In 1980-81 he made a further 21 League appearances but this was the last season that he featured as a first-team player for the club.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4627 on: August 25, 2012, 12:40:39 am »
Today In History
August 25th

DEBUT GOALS

Roy Saunders (1956)

Salford-born half-back Roy (whose son Dean would also have a spell at Anfield in the 1990's) played for Hull City as an amateur before signing professional forms for Liverpool in May 1948 as a 17 year old. But he had a long wait of nearly 5 years before getting his chance in the first-team for a League match, which he finally did for the trip to Middlesbrough on 7th February 1953. After a dreadful run of 8 defeats and 3 draws from the previous 11 League games, Liverpool won 3-2 at Ayresome Park and Roy played in 13 of the last 16 League fixtures as the club narrowly avoided relegation, something which was however only delayed by one more year. After the drop into Division Two, which coincided with the retirement of both Bob Paisley & Phil Taylor (whose combined total of half-back appearances for the club reached over 600), Roy became more of a regular in the side and was picked for the majority of League and cup matches for the next three seasons. But after making only 5 first-team appearances in 1957-58 and one fewer the next season, he decided to move on to Swansea in March 1959 and played in nearly a hundred League games for the South Wales club.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4628 on: August 25, 2012, 12:58:03 am »
Today In History
August 25th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

David Davidson (1928)
Jimmy McDougall (1928)
Billy Millar (1928)
Albert Whitehurst (1928)

David Davidson was a defender who played for the club at the end of the 1920's. He only missed 6 of the 42 League matches during the 1928-29 season, in which he scored just once, the second-half winner in a 2-1 victory over West Ham at Anfield on 13th March 1929. He played in the first 21 League fixtures of the following season before being replaced by Tom Bromilow, came back for the next match at West Ham but then lost his place to Tom Bradshaw, who played in the remaining 17 League games. David added a 2nd goal to the one he had scored in the previous season, in a 3-3 draw at Portsmouth on 2nd November 1929.

Although Scotsman Jimmy McDougall played as a forward in the early part of his playing career in Scotland and also for a short time with Liverpool, it was as a half-back that he made his reputation. He was a reliable and uncomplicated defender, a player of great calmness and assurance, who became a fixture in the Liverpool side for a decade from 1928 until 1938, a period when he averaged over 35 games a season in League and cup. It was a great shame that such loyal service to one club coincided with one of the leanest periods in Liverpool's history. Jimmy arrived on Merseyside five years after the club's 4th League championship success, a trophy which would not return to Anfield until the first full season of League soccer after the end of the Second World War. The furthest they got in the F.A. cup during his 10-year stay was the quarter-final in 1932, when Chelsea triumphed 2-0 at Anfield; and the highest League position was 5th in his first season with Liverpool, 1928-29. Jimmy had the honour of being made captain of his country, one of a select band of men to have received that honour while a Liverpool player. He stayed in the Merseyside area once he had made his farewell appearance for the club (at Charlton on 15th January 1938) and played for a while for South Liverpool F.C. before hanging up his boots for good. Jimmy scored 12 times for Liverpool in First Division matches but 8 of those came when he was playing as an inside-forward and before he was moved back into the defence. Perhaps not surprisingly after 8 goals in 25 League games, he only managed another 4 in his next 314 !

William Millar was a forward who played 3 times for Liverpool during the 1928-29 First Division season. He made a sensational start to his debut (against Bury at Anfield) on the opening day of the season by scoring in the very first minute and adding a second 20 minutes from time as The Reds won comfortably 3-0. But he only figured twice more for the club's first-team, in a 6-3 home win over Leicester two weeks later and another Anfield victory (this time against Newcastle) on 13th October.

Albert Whitehurst was selected for the opening day of the 1928-29 season and responded with the 2nd of Liverpool's 3 goals in their home win over Bury. He played in 7 of the first 9 First Division fixtures but then lost his place and was not recalled until early in February 1929. That appearance (at Leeds) proved to be the last of the 8 times he would wear a Liverpool shirt but he did sign off with a goal two minutes from time to save a point in a 2-2 draw.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4629 on: August 25, 2012, 10:31:15 am »
I think that's it. This thread was started on the 11th of September 2011. Unless it is something that happened on a particular date during the 2011-12 season, there probably won't be anything to add after the 11th of September 2012 that hasn't already been covered.

That's exactly the point I was making. On 10th September we'll have completed a full 12 months. That means we basically only have last seasons matches to look back at, and will leave an awful lot of blank dates.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4630 on: August 25, 2012, 10:43:23 am »
In History
August 23rd
1999 Leeds United ( Premier League) Elland Road 2-1
Titi Camara 45' Radebe (OG) 55'
Att 39,703

much was made of Leeds young team so this was a big test especially as we had just lost to watford and middlesbro and with arsenal and man united on the horizon, Gerard Houlliers new look Liverpool werent having an easy honeymoon period. We fell behind thanks to an own goal from Rigobert song but a superb curling effort from titi camara made it 1-1 and in the second half Lucas Radebe made it 2-1 to us with an own goal 10 minutes into the second half. not a bad 3 points at all, our 3rd straight win at elland road.

Not quite our 3rd straight win at Elland Road HR. We won there 2-0 in 96/7 and 97/8, but drew 0-0 in 98/9. That goalless draw was the 1st of Robbie Fowler's 6 match ban for the Graeme Le Saux bust up/goalline sniffing celebration v the Bitters. We also lost Michael Owen that night with a hamstring injury. That left us with Sean Dundee up front!!!

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4631 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:32 am »
Today In History
Aug 24th

1955 Sheffield Wednesday (Division Two) Anfield 0-3
Att 41,791

1957 Bristol City (Division Two) Ashton Gate 2-1
Tony Rowley 56' 84'
Att 28,191

1960 Southampton (Division Two) The Dell 1-4
Tommy Leishman 11'
Att 24,823

1963 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 2-1
Ronnie Moran 65' Ian Callaghan 75'
Att 34,390

1966 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 1-2
Geoff Strong 35'
Att 50,923

1968 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-1
Tommy Smith 1' Chris Lawler 16' Ian Callaghan 44' Tony Hateley 66'
Att 46,547

1971 Crystal Palace (Division One) Selhurst Park 1-0
John Toshack 57'
Att 29,489

1974 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Alec Lindsay 1'(Pen) 65' (Pen)
Att 49,398

1981 Crusaders (Friendly) Seaview 5-0
Kenny Dalglish (2) David Johnson Mark Lawrenson Terry McDermott
Att 13,000

1985 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 0-1
Att 29,670

1991 Luton Town (Division One) Kenilworth Road 0-0
Att 11,132

1996 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,503

2001 Bayern Munich (Super Cup Final)Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-2
John Arne Riise 23' Emile Heskey 45' Michael Owen 46'
Att 13,824

2002 Southampton (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
El Hadji Diouf 3' 51' Danny Murphy 90'
Att 43,058

2003 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 0-0
Att 42,573

2004 Graz AK (Champions League 3er qualifying round 2ed leg) 0-1
Att 42,950

2009 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 1-3
Fernando Torres 72'
Att 43,667

2011 Exeter City (Carling Cup 2ed round) St James Park 3-1
Luis Suarez 23' Maxi Rodriguez 54' Andy Carroll 59'
Att 8,290

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

David Hodgson (1984)

DEBUT GAMES

Peter Thompson (1963)

DEBUT GOALS

Tommy Leishman (1960)
John Arne Riise (2001)
El Hadji Diouf (2002)

Born on this day

Thomas Bradshaw (1873)
Elisha Scott (1893)
Michael Thomas (1967)

My computer had an HR moment when I originally tried to do my August 24th review, so here we go again.

1985: Our 1st defeat of the season thanks to a 2nd half header from George Reilly. The manager gets injured and is a major doubt for the visit of Ipswich 2 days later.

1991: This is the 1st season that Luton allow away fans in after banning them in 1986. Kriss mentions Dean Saunders missing a 2nd half gimmee. There was a picture of this in the Liverpool Echo match report, and the Reds fans behind the goal looked absolutely horrified!!

1996: Some 0-0's are memorable. This one most certainly wasn't.

2001: Liverpool take a 3 goal lead against the European champions. Bayern pull 2 back though, and we have to endure some nervy moments before clinching our 5th trophy of 2001.

2002: El Hadji Diouf made a very positive start to his LFC career, and looked like £10m well spent. It soon turned out to be a flash in the pan though.

2003: Another dreadful 0-0 which we had to pay to watch as it was on Prem Plus. Gerrard Houllier and Phil Thompson were laughing and joking with their Villa counterparts at the end, but I doubt if anyone else was amused by what they'd just watched.

2004: One of the worst home performances I can remember by any LFC team. Graz half the deficit midway through the 2nd half when Harry Kewell bottles out of a challenge, although it was some strike from Tokic. Rafa removes his forwards to try and shore it up, but nearly pays a heavy price as Graz go very close to forcing extra time at the end. There was nothing that night to suggest that Liverpool would 'make us dream'.

2009: Aston Villa fail to muster a shot on target from open play, yet win 3-1!! They go ahead when Lucas heads in the free kick he needlesly conceded. This may well have been Lucas's lowest moment at LFC, and the catalyst for the major improvement that has followed since. They double the lead from a debatable corner in 1st half injury time. Liverpool dominate the 2nd half, and when Fernando Torres pulls one back there is every chance they could still win the game. A carelessly conceded penalty dispatched by Ashley Young ends the contest though.

2011: Kenny plays some of the big guns to ensure there is no repeat of the Northampton debacle the previous season. Exeter try hard, and deserve their consolation goal after Martin Skrtel concedes a penalty, but it is a comfortable win which starts the road to success in the competition.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4632 on: August 25, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
Not quite our 3rd straight win at Elland Road HR. We won there 2-0 in 96/7 and 97/8, but drew 0-0 in 98/9. That goalless draw was the 1st of Robbie Fowler's 6 match ban for the Graeme Le Saux bust up/goalline sniffing celebration v the Bitters. We also lost Michael Owen that night with a hamstring injury. That left us with Sean Dundee up front!!!
right you are!

ive actually spoken to sean on twitter at length about this time here, some interesting insights, he cant stand houllier

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4633 on: August 25, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
 In History
Aug 24th

1981 Crusaders (Friendly) Seaview 5-0
Kenny Dalglish (2) David Johnson Mark Lawrenson Terry McDermott
Att 13,000

briefly got this mixed up with a similar score in a european game which ill allow the legendary mottman to tell you about, if he doesnt mind of course.......

1985 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 0-1
Att 29,670

1991 Luton Town (Division One) Kenilworth Road 0-0

my brother and of course the king himself despised lutons plastic pitch, so for 1991 there was a big relief when luton finally tore it up and replaced it with normal grass, oldham who we had beaten on day 1 had a similar surface but thankfully like luton also abandoned it for the season. a 0-0 draw saw a knee injury for ronnie whelan rule him out for a long time, whelan hadnt played between february and august after a serious injury against everton and here he lasted just 25 minutes of his 3rd game of the season. although he returned against everton two games later he was withdrawn at half time and missed another 7 months. To compound matters, steve mcmahon who like whelan picked up an injury against everton in february 1991 (in a different game albeit) had also returned in august but here he was sent off. Add to this, new signing mark wright and winger john barnes were both crocked at maine road a couple of days earlier. Another new signing Dean Saunders was still looking for his first goal......he didnt have to wait much longer.

1996 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,503

david james cost us a lot of points in the title run in that season but here he earned this point himself, a game eventually relegated sunderland should have won. sunderland started that season well, including a 4-1 win at forest but injuries to new keeper tony coton and new striker niall quinn (who scored two in that game) saw them lose their way.

2001 Bayern Munich (Super Cup Final)Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-2
John Arne Riise 23' Emile Heskey 45' Michael Owen 46'
Att 13,824

john arne riise scored his first goal for us here fittingly in the stadium he once played in, emile heskey scored a brilliant second and shortly into the second half michael owen made it 3-0 against the european champions. it seemed a case of how many we would score but two late goals from the germans made it a nervous ending. apparently houllier blamed sander westerveld on atleast one goal, Sanders Liverpool career was about to come to an abrupt end. it was 5 trophies in 6 months now, after going 6 years without any. i remember getting legless with me brother, not wise given we are at slane and u2 the next day.....we recovered

2002 Southampton (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
El Hadji Diouf 3' 51' Danny Murphy 90'
Att 43,058

if i thought we unearthed a gem here in diouf then i was in good company, he took just 3 minutes to open the scoring here and then added a second with a header 6 minutes into the second half before trickery from bruno cheyrou won a penalty in the last minute which was dispatched by danny murphy, cheyrou and diouf looked gems, and with markus babbel back from injury and jamie carragher to return we were looking like a good squad, the other new signing salif diao had also yet to appear. all was good it seemed. however it turned out to be a poor season while diouf ended up being my least favorite player of all time. he would score only one league goal after this spanning all the way up to may 2004. im pretty sure that night i attempted to take a piss on the bedroom wall of my parents room. smart!

2003 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 0-0
Att 42,573

can remember olaf mellberg and thomas sorensen at loggerheads most of the first half but apart from a late chance for michael owen nothing really happened. heard one story of my brothers mate in a pub in Liverpool where some fella saw igor biscan coming on with 5 minutes to go and proceeded to launch his pint glass into the tv. bit much if you ask me.

2004 Graz AK (Champions League 3er qualifying round 2ed leg) 0-1
Att 42,950

we made hard work of this so it was just aswell we won the first leg 2-0. shameful, thankfully things were about to get better.

2009 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 1-3
Fernando Torres 72'
Att 43,667

we lost only 2 games the whole of the previous league season, we matched that total after just 3 games here, it was our first league defeat at anfield since december 2007. i had a bad feeling about this game as martin o neill had a bit of a hex over us, also we had a wretched record on monday nights, curtis davies and an og from lucas gave them a 2-0 lead and although torres pulled one back after good work by emiliano insua, we threw it away thanks to a silly tackle from steven gerrard on nigel reo coker, going for a ball he had no hope of winning. i remember wondering that night if benitez would be sacked before he had an opportunity to even see alberto aquilani play, aquilani was  a big summer signing but was out til november. given the boardroom wars would benitez last?

2011 Exeter City (Carling Cup 2ed round) St James Park 3-1
Luis Suarez 23' Maxi Rodriguez 54' Andy Carroll 59'
Att 8,290

kenny dalglish signalled his intentions in this competition with a very strong lineup and the game was won on the hour mark thanks to goals from suarez, rodriguez and a first of the season for andy carroll. Exeter got one back late on but it didnt matter. this was also the last game for raul meireles who picked up an injury and joined chelsea a week later.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4634 on: August 25, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »

Today In History
August 25th

John Toshack 40'
Att 30,334

Att 48,021

Att 35,652

jesus whats with west brom and this day, pity the season wasnt delayed a week

Att 22,005

Att 39,989

Att 27,009

an injury to sheffield united keeper simon tracey means centre back john pemberton had to go in goal for the new promoted team, as in them days, subs were limited to just two outfield players and there were no sub keepers. teams could name keepers on the bench but given there was only 2 slots available there wasnt much point. Liverpool took full advantage as john barnes tried to latch onto a through ball but when pemberton came out of his goal the ball appeared to go straight through him as he missed a very routine catch completely and left barnes with an empty net. ive never seen sheffield uniteds goal as the season review we released that season omitted just about every teams goal against us. our second goal again involved barnes as his cross was headed by Ian rush into the path of ray houghton who finished bravely on the goal line injuring himself in the process. 1 minute from time an up and under cross from sub ronnie rosenthal saw rush easily beat pemberton in the air to head home for a 3-1 win, the first of 8 consecutive wins from the start of the season for us. our best start ever.

Att 20,109

jason dozzell levels in the final minute to deny us 2 points, the following weekend lightning struck twice as jan molby scored a penalty and we lost out to a last minute goal again, the amount of away points we threw away that season late on was horrific (ipswich, leeds, united and everton to name just 4!)

Nigel Clough 18'
Att 42,456

the season started well with 3 wins from 3 and it seemed like 4 from 4 when nigel clough scored his 4th goal in 4 games but two goals from teddy sheringham give spurs their first win over us at anfield since 1987, spurs wouldnt win at anfield again until 2011 (league wise). just 3 months earlier spurs lost 6-2 at anfield. although we won our first 3 games that season and looked great in doing so, and although we won against leeds that weekend our season soon fell apart

Att 45,645

was hungover to bits watching this, momo sissoko scored the only goal of his career with us but the game hung in the balance, especially when sami hyypia broke his nose and jamie carragher broke a rib and was livid he wasnt allowed off for treatment. it didnt help that fernando torres missed about 8 chances to make it 2-0, this was eventually settled by a late goal from andriy voronin, his 3rd goal in 4 games. spent the day tryna play a tribute match for a friend of mine, more tomorrow.... and tryna organise my dads 70th with no help from the family i might add.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4635 on: August 25, 2012, 12:40:55 pm »
Sissoko's goal was also Liverpool's 7000th in league football if I remember correctly?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4636 on: August 25, 2012, 12:42:56 pm »
Sissoko's goal was also Liverpool's 7000th in league football if I remember correctly?
it was some milestone iirc

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4637 on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:08 pm »
Today In History
August 26th

1922 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 5-2
Dick Johnson 3' 5' 60' Tom Bromilow 30' Harry Chambers 46'
Att 40,962

1933 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molineux 2-3
Dave Wright 35' Gordon Hodgson 61'(Pen)
Att 31,073

1939 Sheffield United (Division One)Bramall Lane 1-2
James McInnes
Att 25,483
*Season ended after 3 games because of outbreak of WW11*

1944 Stockport County(Football League Northern Section) Edgeley Park 3-2
Cyril Done 25' 80' Don Welsh 65'(Pen)
Att 5,300

1950 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Billy Liddell 14' 15' Albert Stubbins 32' 90'
Att 52,080

1953 Newcastle United (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Kevin Baron (2)
Att 47,263

1959 Bristol City (Division Two) Anfield 4-2
Billy Liddell 4' 30' Jimmy Melia 53'(Pen) Alan A'Court 65'
Att 33,071

1961 Leeds United (Division Two) Anfield 5-0
Roger Hunt 6' 48' 74' Kevin Lewis 53'(Pen) Jimmy Melia 68'
Att 42,950

1962 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 0-1
Att 21,700

1964 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 2-4
Roger Hunt 24' Gordon Milne 66'
Att 36,200

1967 Newcastle United (Division One)Anfield 6-0
Tony Hateley 8' 47' 75' Emlyn Hughes 30' Roger Hunt 41' 87'
Att 51,829

1972 Westham United (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Ferguson (OG) 62' Emlyn Hughes 64'
Att 50,491

1975 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 3-0
Ray Kennedy 26' Ian Callaghan 84' 88'
Att 36,186

1978 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 4-1
Graeme Souness 15' 48' Ray Kennedy 34' Kenny Dalglish 56'
Att 46,710

1985 Ipswich Town (Division One) Anfield 5-0
Steve Nicol 15' Ian Rush 23' 67' Jan Molby 27' Craig Johnston 90'
Att 29,383

1989 Luton Town (Division One)Kenilworth Road 0-0
Att 11,124

1995 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League)White Hart Lane 3-1
John Barnes 7' 42' Robbie Fowler 54'
Att 31,254

1997 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 2-0
Steve McManaman 23' KarlHeinz Riedle 74'
Att 39,775

2000 Southampton (Premier League) The Dell 3-3
Michael Owen 24' 64' Sami Hyypia 55'
Att 15,202

2005 CSKA Moscow (Super Cup Final) Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-1
Djibril Cisse 82' 103' Luis Garcia 119'
Att 17,000

2006 Westham United (Premier League)Anfield 2-1
Daniel Agger 42' Peter Crouch 45'
Att 43,965

2010 Trabzonspor AS(Europa League Play Off 2ed Leg) Huseyin Avni Aker Stadium 2-1
Remzi Giray Kacar (OG) 84' Dirk Kuyt 88'
Att 21,065

2012 Manchester City(Premier League) Anfield 2-2
 Škrtel,34',Suárez, 66'
Att 44,942

TRANSERS IN

Emiliano Insua (2007)

TRANSFERS OUT

Gabriel Paletta (2007)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Benjamin Dabbs (1933)
Sam English (1933)
Dirk Kuyt (2006)

DEBUT GOALS

Tony Hateley (1967)
Emlyn Hughes (1967)
KarlHeinz Riedle (1997)
Daniel Agger (2006)

Born on this day

Sam Hardy (1882)
Thomas Lowry (1945)

Ah Crazy Horse!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:34:10 am by Rafa_La »
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #4638 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:53 am »
Wow hard to believe that it is 6 years since I watched my first game via a stream. I remember sitting watching the West Ham game on a stream with foreign commentary. Just happy that I could see the game.

Absolutely cracking strike by Daniel Agger to equalise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3zTVpYprCI

And just a few minutes a clever ball from Garcia finding Crouch who after some nifty footwork to round the keeper gave us the lead and win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqX5ZCm0zd4

A year earlier we were so close to losing that Super Cup Final until Cisse was introduced and he turned the game on it's head, scoring 2 and setting up Luis Garcia's goal.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:40:38 am by anfieldpurch »
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4639 on: August 26, 2012, 10:19:57 am »
Today In History
August 25th

1923 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) The Hawthorns 0-2
Att 25,000

1928 Bury (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Bill Millar 1' 70' Albert Whitehurst 30'
Att 38,411

1934 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Vic Wright 20' 44'
Att 31,615

1945 Burnley (Football League Northern Section)Turf Moor 3-1
Billy Liddell (2) Berry Nieuwenhuys
Att 7,481

1948 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 3-3
Billy Liddell Jack Balmer (2)
Att 37,393

1951 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 3-1
Kevin Baron 19' Billy Liddell 50' Albert Stubbins 63'
Att 44,055

1956 Bury (Division Two) Gigg Lane 2-0
Louis Bimpson 10' Roy Saunders 17'
Att 17,000

1965 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 47,259

1970 Crystal Palace (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Bobby Graham 28'
Att 47,612

1973 Stoke City (Division One)Anfield 1-0
Steve Heighway 6'
Att 52,935

John Toshack 40'
Att 30,334

Att 48,021

Att 35,652

Att 22,005

Att 39,989

Att 27,009

Att 20,109

Nigel Clough 18'
Att 42,456

Att 45,645

TRANSFERS IN

Christian Ziege (2000)

TRANSFERS OUT

Krisztian Nemeth (2010)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

David Davidson (1928)
Jimmy McDougall (1928)
Billy Millar (1928)
Albert Whitehurst (1928)
Colin Irwin (1979)
Jan Mølby   (1984)

DEBUT GOALS

Billy Millar (1928)
Albert Whitehurst (1928)
Roy Saunders (1956)
Mohamed Sissoko (2007)

Born on this day

Andrew Aitken (1909)
Tony Cousins (1969)

1982: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain this match was played Saturday 28th August which was the opening day of the League season.

1984: It was very unusual in that era for Liverpool to score 3 away goals without winning. They have to settle for a share of the points though in this helter skelter match.

1986: The referee refuses Liverpool at least 2 blatant penalties on this frustrating afternoon. Ian Rush is sent off after the final whistle for telling the ref what he thought of his performance. As Kriss said though, the decision was overturned. Shame the penalties weren't as we scored them in those days!!

1990: An unfortunate injury to Simon Tracey means right back John Pemberton takes over between the sticks for the home side as there was no sub keeper back then. It takes Liverpool an hour to make the breakthrough, but they eventually run out comfortable winners. Liverpool would complete the double over the Blades before the Blades had actually won a League game that season!!

1992: As already mentioned, Liverpool toss 2 points away in this fixture. They would have to wait until November 23rd for their 1st away win in the League that season.

1993: Nigel Clough scores his 4th goal in as many games with a smart finish at the Kop End. Tottenham are in front at half time though thanks to a Teddy Sheringham brace (one a penalty). Liverpool lay siege in the 2nd half, but can't find an equaliser.

2007: Momo Sissoko scores his only Liverpool goal to give them a half time lead. Andriy Voronin completes the success late on.