Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 854590 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4560 on: August 22, 2012, 12:16:28 am »
22nd August 1998 : Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0

Arsenal arrive at Anfield as the defending Premier League champions. They still have a strong defence in front of David Seaman and that defence keeps us out fairly comfortably. We rarely look like making the important breakthrough although  Karl-Heinz Riedle and Michael Owen work hard as an attacking pair without getting any reward for their efforts.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4561 on: August 22, 2012, 12:17:03 am »
22nd August 2006 : Maccabi Haifa 1 Liverpool 1

Haifa’s home leg is switched from Israel to the Ukraine, a decision that means that only the most determined travelling supporters of either club will get to the new venue. Peter Crouch increases our narrow first-leg lead but Argentinian-born Roberto Colautti equalises only 9 minutes later and we endure a few nervous moments after that before holding out to ensure our place in the group stage of the Champions League.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4562 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:42 am »
Today In History
August 22nd

Debuts on this day

Bert Slater (1959)

Goalkeeper Bert joined Liverpool in May 1959 after playing in the Scottish League with Falkirk. He was 23 years old at the time and went straight into the first-team at the start of the 1959-60 season. However, he conceded 8 goals in his first 3 matches and was quickly replaced by South African Doug Rudham, who played in the next 14 Second Division games. A change of manager saw a change in Bert's fortunes and Bill Shankly kept faith with him from the day he arrived until the end of that season. In fact Slater played in 96 consecutive Football League matches before being replaced by Jim Furnell (who had just been signed from Burnley) when Liverpool travelled to the Midlands to play Walsall early in March 1962. Bert never did regain his place at Anfield and eventually moved on to Watford after a brief spell back in Scotland with Dundee. He ended his playing days at Vicarage Road after playing in 134 League matches for the Hertfordshire club.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4563 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:46 pm »
August 23rd memories now.

1980: On page 112 of this thread I briefly mention the vist of Liverpool to Leicester. The Reds had taken 4 points from their opening 2 games without conceding, while Leicester had narrowly lost their opening 2 games without scoring. It was probably no surprise then that Leicester won 2-0!!

1986: Ian Rush follows up his Charity Shield goal with a double as the Reds begin the League season with a comfortable win at Newcastle. It takes Rush just 4 minutes to find the net, and he seals the win midway through the 2nd half.

1987: My memory is extremely vague when it comes to away friendlies, but I've a feeling Liverpool filled the gap caused by home fixtures being postponed with a friendly against Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon Stadium. I also seem to recall they won 1-0. Can you prove me either right or wrong please Kriss?

1989: Liverpool are held to a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa. John Barnes gives them a 1st half lead, but Villa hit back after the break. The return fixture at Anfield would also finish 1 each.

1992: A wretched performance sees Liverpool lose 2-0 at home to Arsenal. The Gunners are far from impressive themselves, but Anders Limpar fires them ahead from goalmouth scramble midway through the 2nd half. Ian Wright then bursts clear on about 10 minutes from the end, and beats David James with ease.

1997: The Reds have now gone 3 games without a win following this 1-1 draw at Blackburn. Michael Owen scores his 2nd of the season around the hour to put Liverpool in front, but Martin Dahlin gets the equaliser 15 minutes later.

1999: Liverpool bounce back from 2 successive losses as they com from behind to win at Leeds. A Rigobert Song own goal gives the hosts a 20th minute lead, but Titi Camara hits a spectacular equaliser right on half time. Lucas Radabe then puts through his own goal on 55 mins to seal the points.

2005: As with 12 months earlier, Liverpool try and undo the good work from the away leg at Anfield in the CL final qualifying round. CSKA Sofia take an early lead to make the aggregate 3-2. The away goals give Liverpool a huge advantage, and they eventually progress without too much trouble.

2008: I texted my mate after this game saying "We should be on a robbery charge!!". Liverpool were awful, and Middlesbrough fully deserved the 70th minute lead they obtained with a long range effort from Mido. The Reds continue to struggle, but enjoy a huge stroke of luck on 86 minutes when a wayward Jamie Carragher shot takes a huge delflection off a 'Boro defender to wrongfoot Mark Schwarzer. They then complete the robbery deep into injury time when Steven Gerrard superbly curls in an undeserved winner. I still can't believe that the equaliser is counted as a Carra goal in the stats!!

2010: The 'haves' and the 'have nots' meet at Eastlands for this Monday night TV clash. While Roberto Mancini had been lavishing fortunes on buying top players, Roy Hodgson had spent what little money he had available on the likes of Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky!! Gareth Barry gives Man City an early lead, and a 2nd half double from Carlos Tevez, one a penalty, completes a very comfortable City win.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4564 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:16 pm »
I regret to say that we are now just 18 days from completing this thread. What a depressing thought!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4565 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:14 am »
I regret to say that we are now just 18 days from completing this thread. What a depressing thought!

Actually Alan, for me and you and the likes of HellRazor and Rafa_La, it might be something of a relief if you realise how much time and efford goes into preparing the daily posts.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4566 on: August 23, 2012, 12:32:54 am »
23rd August 1969 : Liverpool 3 Burnley 3

The first time I stood on the Kop and a quite unforgettable experience that I still remember so vividly it was easy to type out my recollections of this day :

I had been to Anfield before … but only to sit down. In any case my opportunities for going were limited because although my home was between Chester and Liverpool my school was 200 miles away in south-west England. But the day finally came when I was allowed to travel to Liverpool on my own and it was with great excitement that I boarded the bus which would take me from Chester up to Birkenhead. From there I took the ferry across to Liverpool and then another bus up to Anfield from the Pier Head.

I had heard a lot about the Kop, seen it on television of course and observed it during my only previous visit to Anfield. But now I was actually going to stand on it myself. This was in the days before Liverpool attracted a lot of “out of town” supporters, not because there wasn’t support for Liverpool in other places but it took time for Supporters’ Clubs to get organized and arrange transport, etc. In 1969 I suspect that nearly everyone who attended home games came from the immediate area and I recall that I was the only Liverpool supporter on the bus to Birkenhead and I only met one other fan on the bus going home.

At the start of the 1969-70 season Shankly’s great team of the mid-60’s was just about still going. One or two changes had been made but it wasn’t until the cup defeat at Watford the following March that many of the senior players reached the end of their Liverpool careers. Four wins in a row at the start of the season had supporters already talking about another championship. In the end that proved false but as I walked around the stadium waiting for the gates to open I wasn’t expecting anything but another victory. I deliberately wanted to go in early to savour the atmosphere and not knowing any better I stood right in the middle of the vast terrace. There was a crowd of over 51,000 on that day and I suppose I was a bit overawed by the atmosphere as the crowd built up and kick-off approached. What I hadn’t been prepared for was the sudden movement of the crowd and I quickly learned that you had to keep away from the barrier in front of you because the force of being pushed down into that with several dozen Kopites right behind you could cause some damage. But when the crowd did surge forward there was always the friendly arm of a complete stranger to help bring you back into your former position.

The teams didn’t come out early to warm-up in those days so it was a long wait before they finally emerged to a noise which to me was astonishing. You know how loud it is when you watch from another part of the stadium but it doesn’t really prepare you for the actual volume when you’re in the middle of it. I still remember a lot of the details about that game even though it took place so long ago. Tommy Smith put a penalty away at the Anfield Road end and when Bobby Graham headed Liverpool further in front after the interval it looked like being the easy victory most people had expected. But Burnley had a good side including many players who would go on to better things with other clubs and they hit Liverpool with a remarkable three-goal burst mid-way through the second period. Far from subduing the Kop it only seemed to generate more noise as they tried to get the home team back into the game and when Smith crashed an equaliser past Peter Mellor from the edge of the penalty-area everyone went wild. The volume was turned up even higher as Liverpool chased for a late winning goal but even though it didn’t come the enthusiasm and passion for Liverpool that I experienced from the people around me that day was infectious. I didn’t feel much disappointment that Liverpool had failed to win after being two goals ahead because I was completely drained by the three hours I had been standing there, covered in sweat from the cramped conditions on a hot summer’s day and exhilarated by the noise and the atmosphere.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4567 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:36 am »
23rd August 1972 : Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2

I went with a work-colleague who supported Chelsea. That was how I came to be standing at the Shed end which wouldn’t have been my first choice but that was where was my friend went on a regular basis. The team made a fast start and we were ahead inside the first few minutes, Steve Heighway motoring past their full-back down the left and putting a cross right on to John Toshack’s head. Ten minutes later Cally tried his luck from twenty-five yards and the shot deceived John Phillips who could only push the ball into the net. Chris Garland, a Chelsea signing from Bristol City the year before, pulled a goal back just before half-time and that made for a tense second-half when Chelsea were attacking the Shed.

Because I worked for the Railway at Euston station, I knew which train the team would be taking back to Liverpool the next day. I boarded the train, located the carriage where the club’s official party had reserved seats and nervously went around the tables collecting autographs. Every man who had played at Stamford Bridge signed carefully, as did two others who were not in the team only the squad (Phil Boersma and Trevor Storton) plus manager Bill Shankly. That sheet remains one of my most prized possessions to this day.

Earlier this year I had the pleasure of meeting Ian Callaghan at a function in Liverpool. I asked him to sign a recently-published book about the club and then I compared that signature with the 1972 page of autographs I had taken to the function with me. He seemed thrilled, considering how many he must have signed in the meantime, that his autograph today was absolutely identical to the one he had signed for me forty years earlier. I explained how/where I had got those 1972 autographs and if he remembered the evening match at Chelsea in which he had scored :

Me : Do you remember your goal at Chelsea that night ?
Cally : Oh Yes, I remember all my goals because I didn’t score too many.
Me : I think you’re being a little hard on yourself. You scored a lot of goals for Liverpool (it was 68 but I didn’t have that statistic in my head at the time). And anyway, it wasn’t your job to score goals. That was Roger’s job (at which he laughed).

And I really need to add that Ian Callaghan is one of the nicest LFC-related people that I have ever met : kind, polite, courteous and respectful during the twenty or so minutes I sat with him … and delighted to see some photographs I had with me that were taken at the UEFA cup final in West Germany in 1973, pictures he had not seen before but which I insisted that he keep. He said he would show them to some of his team-mates from the time … and I am sure he will.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4568 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:55 am »
23rd August 1975 : Liverpool 3 Tottenham Hotspur 2

Spurs are still looking for their first win at Anfield since 1912 and must have thought they were on to a good thing when they led 2-0 at half-time. That was also the half-time score in our home match with them in 1962-63 but the team turned that one around and did so again on this occasion too. 21-year-old Jimmy Case, making only his second start for the first team, gets his first senior goal to equalise after Kevin Keegan has drilled a penalty-kick past Pat Jennings. Remembering that Keegan had had an Anfield spot-kick saved by Jennings three seasons earlier, I was a bit apprehensive when Kevin stepped up to take the kick and maybe he was too remembering what had happened in 1973. He didn’t try to place this one though; he absolutely hammered it into the net.

Four minutes after Case’s equaliser, Steve Heighway reacts quickly to a loose ball following a cross from the right and acrobatically volleys it past Jennings and into the net off the crossbar. The Tottenham players’ heads go down after that. It’s as if they knew before the start that their long, winless run at our stadium would continue no matter how well they played (and for an hour or so they did play well).   

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4569 on: August 23, 2012, 12:36:40 am »
23rd August 1977 : Liverpool 2 Newcastle United 0

A big crowd assembles to watch Kenny Dalglish’s home debut. Seconds into the second half, with Liverpool attacking the Kop end, comes a moment I remember as if it had happened yesterday. Ray Kennedy, just inside the Newcastle half, chips a ball into the “No Man’s Land” behind their back four. Dalglish, timing his run perfectly, races on to the loose ball and lobs it brilliantly over Steve Hardwick and so for the first time at Anfield we see that beaming smile and outstretched arms as the man who will become our King celebrates his first Liverpool goal at his new home. Terry McDermott makes the points secure with a twenty-yard drive a few minutes from the end.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4570 on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:18 am »
23rd August 1980 : Leicester City 2 Liverpool 0

The match that AlanM probably wanted to see at the time (remembering his post from a week ago) but just missed out on and was probably thankful to do so because of the way it turned out. I am sitting in the top tier of the “Double-Decker” stand at Filbert Street and so have a pefect view of Andy Peake running at our defence from the half-way line. Our defenders just back off and nobody makes a challenge. With his options running out, Peake decides to shoot and his brilliant effort flashes past Ray Clemence. The goal that seals the points for Leicester comes from Martin Henderson, who has come on as a substitute for Jim Melrose.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4571 on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:54 am »
23rd August 1986 : Newcastle United 0 Liverpool 2

Rushie scores early and late to give us victory on the opening day of a new League season. Mike Hooper replaces Bruce Grobbelaar in goal. Bruce has  been an ever-present for five seasons but has not recovered in time following the stomach injury that forced him to come off in the Charity Shield match at Wenmbley seven days earlier. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4572 on: August 23, 2012, 12:38:19 am »
23rd August 1989 : Aston Villa 1 Liverpool 1

Ray Houghton’s brilliant chip over Nigel Spink earns us a point after Alan McInally has given Villa the lead a few minutes before half-time.

Sorry, my mistake. Those are the goal details from the early-season1988-89 League match at Villa that also finished 1-1.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:53:58 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4573 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:10 am »
23rd August 1992 : Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2

After going 13 seasons without a League win at Anfield, Arsenal now have 3 wins out of 5 at our stadium. So once again we are forced to listen to that tedious “We won the League on Merseyside” shite all afternoon. It’s a Sky Sports Super Sunday match. Here is how they previewed it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpErrKMwhUM

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4574 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:52 am »
23rd August 1997 : Blackburn Rovers 1 Liverpool 1

Michael Owen’s third senior goal gives us the lead shortly after half-time but Rovers’ Swedish substitute Martin Dahlin beats David James a few minutes from time to earn the home side a point. Owen’s goal is a typical example of the blistering pace he had as a teenager. It’s the third goal on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr21lk8ujbA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4575 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:29 am »
23rd August 1999 : Leeds United 1 Liverpool 2

A welcome and possibly unexpected victory at Elland Road on a Monday evening follows two miserable 1-0 defeats by Watford and Middlesbrough. Both teams score own-goals (Lucas Radebe scores for us and Rigobert Song for them) but Titi Camara’s overall performance and goal are just brilliant, his terrific curling shot from twenty yards beating Nigel Martyn and entering the net via the crossbar.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4576 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:25 am »
23rd August 2005 : Liverpool 0 CSKA Sofia 1

It’s just as well we had won in the Bulgarian capital a fortnight earlier! The goal that beats us is brilliant but it isn’t enough to stop our progress into the group stage of the Champions League after being forced to take part in three qualifying rounds. Valentin Iliev’s goal here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWu_OLB7dKI

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4577 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:34 am »
23rd August 2008 : Liverpool 2 Middlesbrough 1

Mido’s left-footed drive looks like giving the visitors all three points. But we turn things around in the final few dramatic minutes. The Dubious Goals Panel decides to record our first goal as an Emanuel Pogatetz own-goal. But LFC decide to ignore that and credit the goal to Jamie Carragher. Having just watched that goal again it doesn’t look to me as if it was on target before it hit the Austrian defender and ricocheted into the net. All three goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rum23DVOfxs

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4578 on: August 23, 2012, 12:44:58 am »
23rd August 2010 : Manchester City 3 Liverpool 0

Javier Mascherano, substituted towards the end of the previous Premier League match against Arsenal eight days earlier, makes it clear that he does not want to play with a possible transfer to Barcelona looming (that is finalised five days later). However, even if Masch had been fully-fit and fully-focused, it is doubtful if he would have made any difference to this miserable capitulation. New manager Hodgson is under pressure already with only one point out of six from the two League matches played so far.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4579 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:01 am »
August 23rd memories now.

1989: Liverpool are held to a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa. John Barnes gives them a 1st half lead, but Villa hit back after the break. The return fixture at Anfield would also finish 1 each.

John Barnes gives them a first-half lead, does he ? I must have missed the spell that Barnes had as an Aston Villa player! It was of course Barnes for us not them and it was David Platt who equalised for them.

Sorry, Alan. I know your "them" really referred to Liverpool  ;).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:58:24 am by kriss »

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4580 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:50 am »
Today In History
August 23rd

1947 Preston North End (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Billy Liddell 57' Albert Stubbins 64' 68'
Att 49,353

1950 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Billy Liddell 12' Reg Allen (OG) 37'
Att 30,211

1952 Preston North End (Division One) Deepdale 1-1
John Smith 41'
Att 38,000

1954 Plymouth Argyle (Division Two) Home Park 0-1
Att 25,574

1956 Notts County (Division Two) Meadow Lane 1-1
Billy Liddell 9'
Att 14,671

1958 Grimsby Town (Division Two) Anfield 3-3
Jimmy Melia 19' Billy Liddell 39'(Pen) 50'
Att 47,502

1961 Sunderland (Division Two) Anfield 3-0
Roger Hunt 48' 83' Kevin Lewis 78'
Att 48,900

1969 Burnley (Division One) Anfield 3-3
Tommy Smith 36'(Pen) 77' Bobby Graham 49'
Att 51,113

1972 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 2-1
John Toshack 3' Ian Callaghan 13'
Att 35,375

1975 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Kevin Keegan 54'(Pen) Jimmy Case 68' Steve Heighway 72'
Att 42,729

1977 Newcastle United (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Kenny Dalglish 46' Terry McDermott 87'
Att 48,267

1980 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 0-2
Att 28,455

1986 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 2-0
Ian Rush 5' 83'
Att 33,306

1987 Atletico Madrid (Villa De Madrid Trophy)Vincent Calderon 1-0
John Wark 73'
Att 25,000

1989 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 1-1
John Barnes 24'
Att 35,796

1992 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 0-2
Att 34,961

1997 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 1-1
Michael Owen 52'
Att 30,187

1999 Leeds United ( Premier League) Elland Road 2-1
Titi Camara 45' Radebe (OG) 55'
Att 39,703

2005 CSKA Sofia (Champions League 3erd qualifying round 2ed leg) Anfield 0-1
Att 42,175

2008 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Jamie Carragher 85' Steven Gerrard 90'
Att 43,168

2010 Manchester City (Premier League) City Of Manchester Stadium ) 0-3
Att 47,087

2012 Hearts of Midlothian (Europa League 4th Qulifying Round 1st Leg) Tynecastle Stadium 0 - 1
OG, 78'
Att 15,965

TRANSFERS OUT

Milan Baros (2005)
Diego Cavalieri (2010)

DEBUT GAMES

Arthur Rowley (1952)

DEBUT GOALS

Jimmy Case (1975)

Born on this day

George Allan (1875)
Harold Uren (1885)
Glen Johnson (1984)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:25:43 pm by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4581 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:56 am »
Today In History
August 23rd

DEBUT GOALS

Jimmy Case (1975)

Jimmy arrived at Anfield after playing for the Merseyside club South Liverpool and was an instant successes when he made his League debut at Anfield as a 20 year old on the final day of the 1974-75 season against Queen's Park Rangers, a fixture the Reds won 3-1. He established himself the following season, making 39 appearances for the first-team in all competitions and scoring 12 times, 3 of which came on a foggy December night on Merseyside as the Poles from Wroclaw were defeated in the UEFA cup. Jimmy also scored important goals in the quarter-final and the final of that competition and added a European winners' medal to the championship medal already secured at the end of his first full season as a first-teamer.

Although still only 22 when the 1976-77 season began, Jimmy had already built a reputation for himself as a tough-tackling, hard-working midfielder who packed a venomous shot. His long-range shooting became a feature of his game and many of the 46 goals he scored for the club came from distance, like the majestic turn and volley with which he scored in the 1977 F.A. cup final against Manchester United. He added another championship medal in his second full season and was also a member of the team which finally won the greatest prize of all on that famous night in Rome when the European cup was won for the first time. He would go on to win two more winners' medals in that tournament plus another two in the domestic championship. Although an integral part of the team by now (he missed only the last 5 games of the 1979-80 League campaign), many of Jimmy's appearances the following season were as substitute. In the summer of 1981 he was transferred to Brighton & Hove Albion, with whom he returned to Anfield two years later and scored the goal which knocked his former club out of the F.A. cup. He later joined Southampton in his early 30's and was to continue playing League football to a high standard for several more seasons.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4582 on: August 23, 2012, 10:32:57 am »
lot of catching up to do here

lot of kriss's post among others like rafa la and alan to read aswell
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4583 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

Why? What's happening

I gather someone did not bother to tell me the follow up from a message ages ago?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:26:45 pm by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4584 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »
Today In History
Aug 24th

1955 Sheffield Wednesday (Division Two) Anfield 0-3
Att 41,791

1957 Bristol City (Division Two) Ashton Gate 2-1
Tony Rowley 56' 84'
Att 28,191

1960 Southampton (Division Two) The Dell 1-4
Tommy Leishman 11'
Att 24,823

1963 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 2-1
Ronnie Moran 65' Ian Callaghan 75'
Att 34,390

1966 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 1-2
Geoff Strong 35'
Att 50,923

1968 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-1
Tommy Smith 1' Chris Lawler 16' Ian Callaghan 44' Tony Hateley 66'
Att 46,547

1971 Crystal Palace (Division One) Selhurst Park 1-0
John Toshack 57'
Att 29,489

1974 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Alec Lindsay 1'(Pen) 65' (Pen)
Att 49,398

1981 Crusaders (Friendly) Seaview 5-0
Kenny Dalglish (2) David Johnson Mark Lawrenson Terry McDermott
Att 13,000

1985 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 0-1
Att 29,670

1991 Luton Town (Division One) Kenilworth Road 0-0
Att 11,132

1996 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,503

2001 Bayern Munich (Super Cup Final)Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-2
John Arne Riise 23' Emile Heskey 45' Michael Owen 46'
Att 13,824

2002 Southampton (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
El Hadji Diouf 3' 51' Danny Murphy 90'
Att 43,058

2003 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 0-0
Att 42,573

2004 Graz AK (Champions League 3er qualifying round 2ed leg) 0-1
Att 42,950

2009 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 1-3
Fernando Torres 72'
Att 43,667

2011 Exeter City (Carling Cup 2ed round) St James Park 3-1
Luis Suarez 23' Maxi Rodriguez 54' Andy Carroll 59'
Att 8,290

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

David Hodgson (1984)

DEBUT GAMES

Peter Thompson (1963)

DEBUT GOALS

Tommy Leishman (1960)
John Arne Riise (2001)
El Hadji Diouf (2002)

Born on this day

Thomas Bradshaw (1873)
Elisha Scott (1893)
Michael Thomas (1967)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4585 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
Actually Alan, for me and you and the likes of HellRazor and Rafa_La, it might be something of a relief if you realise how much time and efford goes into preparing the daily posts.

I understand where you're coming from Kriss as you and Rafa_La do a lot of research into the history of fixtures played, players signed/sold etc. You also give your own account of matches, including some wonderful stories of European trips you've done, and also search youtube and other video links for action from the games. That must be quite a bit of work. All I do in the main is post my personal memories of matches from the 30 years I've been going to Anfield, and sometimes give my own comments on players.

Weather it's reading the input from the likes of yourself, Rafa_La, Hellrazor, Crosby Nick, and various others, or simply posting my own memories, the fact is that I have loved every minute I've spent on this thread. That's why I'm not looking forward to it ending. I'm also expecting to be made redundant at the end of October, so that would have given me plenty of time to do proper research rather than relying on my own erratic memory!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4586 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »
Does rather sux that some of you know the thread is ending but nothing got said to others.

One private message from a Mod & not another word.

Hmmm, that's a bit disrespectful in my book.

Suppose that's the Yanks to blame.
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4587 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:31 am »
24th August 1971 : Crystal Palace 0 Liverpool 1

John Toshack stabs in a goal from close range early in the second half. So we take our first away points of the season and can start to forget the totally unjust defeat at Newcastle three days earlier.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4588 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:00 am »
24th August 1974 : Liverpool 2 Leicester City 1

Our first home match of the season is less than a minute old when we are awarded a penalty at the Anfield Road end. With Kevin Keegan suspended, the responsibility falls to left-back Alec Lindsay, who has already taken five penalties for the club, missing only one of them. This one he drills confidently past Leicester goalkeeper Mark Wallington. Twenty minutes into the second half we are awarded another penalty and Lindsay nets that one as well. Leicester’s consolation goal comes from their captain, Keith Weller, who is later fined for remarks he made to the referee about the penalty-awards.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4589 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:22 am »
24th August 1985 : Newcastle United 1 Liverpool 0

George Reilly scores the second-half goal that brings our first defeat of the season. There will not be another defeat until early in October.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4590 on: August 24, 2012, 12:19:02 am »
24th August 1991 : Luton Town 0 Liverpool 0

Grass is back at Kenilworth Road but our overall team performance is barely better than in the 3-1 defeat on plastic in the previous season. Dean Saunders, who missed the late penalty at Maine Road that would have earned us a draw three days earlier, skies an absolute ‘sitter’ that would have opened his Liverpool account. Steve McMahon is sent off by referee John Moules for elbowing Philip Gray in the face. McMahon will miss three First Division matches for this ‘violent conduct’ charge.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4591 on: August 24, 2012, 12:19:45 am »
24th August 1996 : Liverpool 0 Sunderland 0

The previous season’s First Division champions leave Anfield with a point but are unlucky not to take all three. Defeat is prevented thanks to an inspired display from David James, who makes two splendid saves from Niall Quinn. After the second save the ball runs loose to Paul Stewart, who shows as little composure in front of goal as he did when he was our player!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4592 on: August 24, 2012, 12:20:42 am »
24th August 2001 : Bayern Munich 2 Liverpool 3

John Arne Riise makes just his third Liverpool appearance and it is at a familiar stadium where he played for three years between 1998 and 2001; and the Norwegian opens the scoring with a confident finish from Michael Owen’s inviting cross. Emile Heskey and Owen increase our lead before Bayern pull two goals back from Hasan Salihamidzic and Carsten Jancker. Our goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHU74O8pf5Y

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4593 on: August 24, 2012, 12:21:16 am »
24th August 2002 : Liverpool 3 Southampton 0

El Hadji Diouf, an expensive summer signing from Lens, scores twice on his home debut. But forget any idea that we have another scoring sensation wearing the Number Nine shirt. It will be over six months before he scores in the Premier League again!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4594 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:03 am »
24th August 2003 : Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 0

This was really grim. Steven Gerrard returns after serving his one-match ban for being sent off at Chelsea in the final League match of the previous season. He is possibly lucky not to be starting another ban because referee Paul Durkin is lenient about a couple of really wild challenges by Gerrard on JLloyd Samuel and Olof Mellberg. Durkin’s failure to punish Gerrard leads to an angry touch-line confrontation between David O’Dreary and Phil Thompson. Just one point and one goal from the opening two League fixtures is not encouraging. It is too early in the season to be worrying unduly but the Premier League table shows that we are in 17th place with only Bolton Wanderers, Middlesbrough and Wolverhampton Wanderers below us.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4595 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23:21 am »
Does rather sux that some of you know the thread is ending but nothing got said to others.

One private message from a Mod & not another word.

Hmmm, that's a bit disrespectful in my book.

Suppose that's the Yanks to blame.

So does one need to live in the UK to get to be told of info & share all the little goodies?

BAH.
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4596 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23:35 am »
24th August 2004 : Liverpool 0 Grazer AK 1

A brilliant goal by Mario Tokic brings defeat on the night but fortunately the two goals we scored in the first leg see us through to the group stage of the Champions League. Match-action here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqRKEhL2y0

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4597 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:36 am »
24th August 2009 : Liverpool 1 Aston Villa 3

This is a huge disappointment after a home League record in 2008-09 of Played 19, Won 12, Drawn 7, Lost 0. This ends a run of thirty-one consecutive home League matches without defeat. We are very much the architects of our own downfall : Lucas heads Ashley Young’s free-kick into his own net, slack marking at a corner leads to a second goal from Curtis Davies and Gerrard’s rash challenge on Nigel Reo-Coker brings a penalty which Young scores.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4598 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:52 am »
24th August 2011 : Exeter City 1 Liverpool 3

These are tricky ties when the draw is made, away to a club from a lower division, but a disciplined and determined performance sees us through. Luis Suarez is involved in all our goals and scores for the third match in a row from the start of the season, Andy Carroll gets his first goal of the season with a fine left-footed drive and Raul Meireles makes his final appearance in our colours before moving to Chelsea a week later on the last day of the transfer-window. Suarez goal here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POY16mvF-a8

Maxi goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJHYn3oI5A

and
Andy Carroll goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oaDxKU5mkg&playnext=1&list=PLF25219F752BB43C1&feature=results_video

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4599 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:56 am »
Today In History
Aug 24th

Born on this day

Elisha Scott (1893)

One of THE great goalkeepers in Liverpool's history, the big Ulsterman's Anfield career spanned an astonishing TWENTY-ONE years from his debut against Newcastle United on New Years' Day 1913 until his final appearance at Chelsea on 21st February 1934. Had the First World War not taken away four years of his professional career, he would undoubtedly have made many more than the 468 first-team appearances he made for his one and only English League club.

Kenneth Campbell was Liverpool's first-choice 'keeper in the years immediately preceding the war but the young Scott did displace him for the last 23 First Division fixtures of the 1914-15 season. Campbell was still between the posts after the war but, after the Scot was transferred to Partick Thistle, Elisha was named in the team for the opening game of the 1920-21 season and was more or less a permanent fixture in the side for the next dozen years or so, although there was a spell at the end of the 1920's and the start of the following decade when his appearances were restricted and Arthur Riley took over in goal. Scott only missed 3 League matches when the League championship was won in 1922 and was one of three "ever-presents" (the others being Donald McKinlay & Dick Forshaw) when the title was retained a year later. He was first capped at full international level by Northern Ireland shortly after the end of the war and remarkably enough was still selected to represent his country two years after he left Liverpool, by which time he was over forty years old!  Although relatively small for a goalkeeper, his agility and courage were never in question, nor was his loyalty to the club he served so well for so long. His age and Riley's form restricted him to just 10 First Division appearances in his final year on Merseyside (1933-34) but such was the aura that surrounded him that the club took the unusual step of allowing him to address his home crowd before the final match of that season. Elisha returned to his homeland to join Belfast Celtic as their player-manager, leaving behind an army of admirers and a host of wonderful memories.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:39:56 am by kriss »