Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3345178 times)

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #11760 on: September 23, 2015, 04:52:48 am »
Pretty much down to this line;
"There’s basically been no fun, and when the fun stops what else is there?"

I'm at the point now where I don't want to invest in this season.  Not going to make top 4 most likely and there's no way BR is getting us a trophy.  I'm not investing too many sunny days watching the TV so we can scrap for 6th place.  It's not fun.

It's only been six games. Some folks have hated Rodgers since he came in for Kenny. There is simply no pleasing a significant and vocal section of the fan base.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11761 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:25 am »
It's only been six games. Some folks have hated Rodgers since he came in for Kenny. There is simply no pleasing a significant and vocal section of the fan base.
Thankfully they don't make the decisions however much they whine and shake their rattles.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #11762 on: September 23, 2015, 06:24:19 am »
Thankfully they don't make the decisions however much they whine and shake their rattles.

It has only been six games if you base your whole view that all of last season did not count at all. AT ALL. That time started in august. I think many fans were willing to give Rodgers a fresh start, but there is a balance when we continue this season with losing 3-0 against teams like West Ham at home and see very little improvement in our performances.

We have won 5 games of our last 18. In those 18 matches we have only scored more than once in two of those matches(Never more than two). We have conceided 27 goals in those 18 games. That`s pretty terrible from a Liverpool side. Is it whining? I don`t think it is. These are valid points based on watching a team that just doesn`t perform, and has not done in ages , so I`m not sure how thankful people should be of those making the decisions. I understand that you shouldn`t sack a manager for the sake of it, and basically it`s also a factor of who we could get to replace him, but Rodgers has had time. A lot more time than people like Rafa and Kenny got.

People might turn this over to the "People does not like Rodgers" phrase, but if that`s the case, isn`t that just another excuse? Isn`t that another discussion? I guess some people has never warmed to him, and that`s perhaps a side issue as well, but it`s not THE issue.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:50:00 am by Raaphael »

Offline Flight

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11763 on: September 23, 2015, 06:39:41 am »
Rodgers had my support up until the Man Utd game. At that point it was few reason he lost me.
1. Cowardly tactics: I just couldn't tolerate that approach at Old Trafford
2. Building an unbalanced squad, 3/4 seasons he's done this
3. His team selection choices. 
4. Constant shift in tactical identity.

I was in love with the football Rodgers gave us in 2013/14 but he has no plans to return to that. I don't know what it is he's trying to create but it's painfully clear it's nothing like the 2013/14 team.

Results in the 15 league games since then compared to Hodgsons last 15 league games :

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #11764 on: September 23, 2015, 07:18:28 am »
The podcast is not for people who want the manager out at all cost and don't try to see any positives. It's not for them.
Justice for the 96

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #11765 on: September 23, 2015, 08:02:43 am »
The podcast is not for people who want the manager out at all cost and don't try to see any positives. It's not for them.

the podcast is for anyone who wants to listen to it. there is no agenda, only podcast.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11766 on: September 23, 2015, 08:24:04 am »
I cannot STAND people saying 'he'll get a big pay off' for managers or players.
In oreder to get the top jobs in football you need to be a winner.
That means from the word go.
Hard work and commitment. When Rodgers was coaching junior sides and playing football inIreland, he was doing it to progress.
Now he is a very wealthy man - do people honestly thnk he gives a fuck about a golden handshake or about winning stuff with his team.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11767 on: September 23, 2015, 08:35:00 am »
There is a very good reason they are not pleased. Kenny deserved more of a chance.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline The Las

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11768 on: September 23, 2015, 08:38:03 am »
I would like to see us go to a diamond formation as soon as possible. Even more so now that Ings looks like he may get a run with Sturridge. The diamond gives us a lot of bodies in the midfield given the nature of the two side midfielders tucked in. This inturn gives us a more compact unit enabling us to press without huge holes,  also asking the full backs to push up 10 - 20 yrds. Id like to see Milner on the right of it and Coutinho on the left with either Fermino or llalana at the apex.

I think this system would suit both clyne and Moreno.  I think Can is much better playing deeper with the pitch infront of him, so would slot him in at the base to marshal the sides and screen the defence. Id start giving Rossiter minutes in that position when appropriate.

As highlighted yesterday, the back 3 was exposed last year initially by Van Gaal. Villa also put 3 quick lads in about them and exposed them massively. So I dont see this formation as a solution. Sturridge, Ings, Fermino, Coutino, Milner should offer more than enough creativity and goal threat moving forward.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:39:41 am by The Las »

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #11769 on: September 23, 2015, 08:48:55 am »

Results in the 15 league games since then compared to Hodgsons last 15 league games :

Hodgsons side won 2 more, scored 7 more and conceded 5 less.

That is actually quite damning.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11770 on: September 23, 2015, 09:37:43 am »
I not sure how to articulate it really but I felt a little patronised listening to the Monday podcast. Mabey a little talked down to by "sensible people". For one thing most fans who want a change of manager are not "people who don't like Rodgers" I quite like Brendan as a person and I didn't like that every person was all lumped in together. There was no distinction made. Secondly they seemed to refer to "the fanbase"  constantly as the main reason Brendan can't survive without referencing hardly at all that the reason the fans are in that state is cause the manager is just not very good at his job and hasn't been for quite some time. Stretching for reasons to not change the manager. When gibbo sounds like the most critical on a particular pod then that really is something. It all just seemed extremely politically correct. I'm someone who likes people to call a spade a spade when the situation calls for it, and this is one.

Agree. The fans have been very patient with Rodgers bearing in mind the last 12 months (plus his first season was awful with not qualifying for Europe and no cup run). The 2nd season bought him time and patience, despite the way it was spoiled by the way we blew it (had we actually won the league Rodgers would still have that goodwill) but nearly 18 months on from that and that goodwill has gone. Ignoring forums and Twitter noise there's been no dissent to Rodgers at the match like the was with Hodgson or even Rafa and Houllier.

There's an insinuation on the  show that it's inevitable Rodgers will have to go now because the fans don't want him anymore. No. It's inevitable he'll have to go because he's done a downright shocking job for the last 16 months now and complete lost his way/lost the plot. What it comes down to is he's a learning manager that isn't learning.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #11771 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:01 am »
Those people may have most to gain from the podcast.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11772 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
Text from Rob Guttman on TAW Facebook site:

....but the manager is no longer one of them. I'd like to see the owners show decisive leadership and not repeat the Hodgson fiasco. There's a salvageable season here. Be bold, be fair, be kind to a lost leader too, but most of all let us at least have Anfield and some hope back.

So far he's had three shit seasons and one good one where we didn't actually win anything.

I believe the good season was a blip and more to do with suarez having the season of his career.

Things will carry on as they are unless we find another suarez (not likely) or change the manager.

plus his first season was awful with not qualifying for Europe and no cup run....It's inevitable he'll have to go because he's done a downright shocking job for the last 16 months now and completely lost his way/lost the plot.

Am I missing something in respect of comments such as the foregoing?

Here's how I'd summarise Rodgers three seasons to date.

Season 1 – August to Christmas. Essentially feeling his way, experimenting. Pretty mediocre stuff from him and the team. Not that good. Not that bad -  which I guess is what you'd expect as a new manager. From Christmas to May – very probably the best team in the league. The injection of Coutinho and Sturridge took us to a level arguably for that period above every other club in the league. In fact if the league had run from January to May I believe the stats tell us we'd have been champions for that period.

Season 2 - Probably the best team in the league with the amazing attacking quartet of Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho with Gerrard a fine quarterback serving up football that ranks as arguably our most exhilarating ever [and I go back to Division two] - even in the games when Suarez was absent. Denied the league title by what I can only term unbelievably cruel turns of misfortune which we're never likely ever to see again [Gerrard's Chelsea slip and the unfeasible Crystal Palace recovery]

Season 3 – the season of THE TEAM WITH NO ATTACK - an utter clusterfuck which I’m sure any reasonably intelligent football person would agree was a direct consequence of Brendan's/the club's rank negligence in failing to bring in like-for-like replacements for the departing Suarez and injury prone Sturridge [albeit nobody they could have procured  could ever be quite as good as the two vital missing ingredients - but imagine how much better we'd have been for that entire season with a Danny Ings or some of those other equivalent Premiership buys other clubs made up front]. The season was partially salvaged in the middle due to a surge in form driven by Sterling deployed as central pacy/mobile attacker fed by Coutinho only to plummet as those two players ran out of steam by March and the entire season fell apart as we all know only too well.

Season 4 - six games in we have played mostly shite other than 45 minutes at the Emirates. But there have been some slightly brighter passages of play in the last two games - perhaps performance and certainly results wise nowhere near the level we crave but who knows whether or not they may be portents of what could lie ahead dragged forward by an Ings/Sturridge/Coutinho frontal assault.

CONCLUSION - I'll just pose a question rather than affirm any real view one way or the other [although it's pretty clear I'm very firmly in the camp of why the fucking desperation to replace the manager? Or why else would I be posting this?  :)].

Anyroad - the question.

How do we equate the seemingly desperate need of some to replace the manager with the above record which is mixed but certainly not without its extremely positive aspects?

Granted during the period he's been here the fellow has had his share of fuck ups both in terms of transfers, tactics, selections etc etc. Also things have certainly deteriorated this past six months. But against the first aspect all people including managers do fuck up from time to time and against the ongoing deterioration it is inarguable that for the entirety of last season and even now we are still suffering the adverse effect of vital player departures/injuries and Rodgers/the club's negligence in failing to adequately replace them – something which might just be about to change as the fast pacy mobile penny [namely the inclusion of a forwards such as Danny Ings] may just have dropped.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11773 on: September 23, 2015, 10:27:15 am »
Season 1 – August to Christmas. Essentially feeling his way, experimenting. Pretty mediocre stuff from him and the team. Not that good. Not that bad -  which I guess is what you'd expect as a new manager. From Christmas to May – very probably the best team in the league. The injection of Coutinho and Sturridge took us to a level arguably for that period above every other club in the league. In fact if the league had run from January to May I believe the stats tell us we'd have been champions for that period.

The minimal acceptable requirement from a Liverpool season is European qualification. If we don't qualify for Europe then it's an awful season. We were never above 7th that season and did nothing in the cups. We finished below a poor Everton side. It wasn't good enough.

Season 2 - Probably the best team in the league with the amazing attacking quartet of Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho with Gerrard a fine quarterback serving up football that ranks as arguably our most exhilarating ever [and I go back to Division two] - even in the games when Suarez was absent. Denied the league title by what I can only term unbelievably cruel turns of misfortune which we're never likely ever to see again [Gerrard's Chelsea slip and the unfeasible Crystal Palace recovery]

Yeah a great season but one that should have been seen through after getting in that position. If we had any kind of defensive solidity or midfield control when required then we'd have seen it through with that brilliant attack. We were a more extreme version of Keegan's Newcastle and he couldn't win the league either when it came to the crunch. 

Yes it was a great season of great football though and bought him time but that football completely disappeared last season and it isn't coming back.

Season 3 – the season of THE TEAM WITH NO ATTACK - an utter clusterfuck which I’m sure any reasonably intelligent football person would agree was a direct consequence of Brendan's/the club's rank negligence in failing to bring in like-for-like replacements for the departing Suarez and injury prone Sturridge [albeit nobody they could have procured  could ever be quite as good as the two vital missing ingredients - but imagine how much better we'd have been for that entire season with a Danny Ings or some of those other equivalent Premiership buys other clubs made up front]. The season was partially salvaged in the middle due to a surge in form driven by Sterling deployed as central pacy/mobile attacker fed by Coutinho only to plummet as those two players ran out of steam by March and the entire season fell apart as we all know only too well.

Last season was unacceptable.

Season 4 - six games in we have played mostly shite other than 45 minutes at the Emirates. But there have been some slightly brighter passages of play in the last two games - perhaps performance and certainly results wise nowhere near the level we crave but who knows whether or not they may be portents of what could lie ahead dragged forward by an Ings/Sturridge/Coutinho frontal assault.

We're always going to see bright passages of play and bits of quality because we've got quality players. There's no real organisation though. We're just a team in constant transition while Rodgers searches for the next tactics,formation and philosophy every time his latest one is worked out.

How do we equate the seemingly desperate need of some to replace the manager with the above record which is mixed but certainly not without its extremely positive aspects?

Granted during the period he's been here the fellow has had his share of fuck ups both in terms of transfers, tactics, selections etc etc. Also things have certainly deteriorated this past six months. But against the first aspect all people including managers do fuck up from time to time and against the ongoing deterioration it is inarguable that for the entirety of last season and even now we are still suffering the adverse effect of vital player departures/injuries and Rodgers/the club's negligence in failing to adequately replace them – something which might just be about to change as the fast pacy mobile penny [namely the inclusion of a forwards such as Danny Ings] may just have dropped.

The manager has no real plan, identity or 'philosophy' anymore and more importantly no experience of being able to win when it matters. This is a manager who went from being 'death by football tiki-tata Barcelona/Spain disciple to Keegan/Ardiles tactics and now to nothing in particular. He's lost his way and lost touch of his own philosoophy. He has never been able to get us playing possession football, control midfield or convincing defensively when put under any sort of pressure. His transfer strategy and record is beyond bad.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11774 on: September 23, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »
The minimal acceptable requirement from a Liverpool season is European qualification. If we don't qualify for Europe then it's an awful season. We were never above 7th that season and did nothing in the cups. We finished below a poor Everton side. It wasn't good enough.

So you're conveniently going to completely overlook two absolutely critical and salient aspects

1] It was his first season - taking over an ailing club/feeling his way

2] The second half of the season with Coutinho and Sturridge providing much needed attacking capacity we registered the highest points tally of every club including the eventual Champions

In my eyes you're electing to dismiss such facts because they're not consistent with your stance that dismisses Rodger's capabilities as a manager. Advise me how that is anything other than the stance of an apologist with an anti-Rodger's agenda as distinct from my own which is pointing out genuine progress and achievement as that season wore on.

Yeah a great season but one that should have been seen through after getting in that position. If we had any kind of defensive solidity or midfield control when required then we'd have seen it through with that brilliant attack. We were a more extreme version of Keegan's Newcastle and he couldn't win the league either when it came to the crunch.

Yes it was a great season of great football though and bought him time but that football completely disappeared last season and it isn't coming back. .

Okay I think in this instance the parsimony of your stance and apparent steadfast refusal to acknowledge just how much of a remarkable achievement our overall performance was that season is best tackled by a hypothetical poser indicating just how slender the margin between success and failure can actually be.

Just say the Sterling goal at the Etihad had not been flagged offside when the player was after all three yards onside. We'd have drawn the game which was the arguably the least result we deserved on the day. All other things being equal we'd have then gone on to clinch the league title by a single point.

Significantly, it would not have altered Rodgers contribution as manager for that season by one iota. So hypothetically if that had have happened just how fucking ridiculous would your current take on the suitability of a manager who'd given us our only league title success in two and a half decades then appear?

And in my own eyes that is the way it looks to me even without a league trophy tucked into our trophy cabinet.

Last season was unacceptable..

Nobody is denying how impoverished last season was.

The crux of the issue in terms of whether we need to replace the manager is not that we were so poor but rather why it was that we were so poor.

The answer in my humble opinion as reiterated time and again in last Autumn's massive thread on the issue is we in effect went an entire season without an attack because of a failure to procure the right sort of attacking replacements for Suarez and Sturridge. Sure Rodgers was manager when that that unbelievable incompetance/negligence took place but it beggars belief that he didn't want adequate replacements. 

We're always going to see bright passages of play and bits of quality because we've got quality players. There's no real organisation though. We're just a team in constant transition while Rodgers searches for the next tactics,formation and philosophy every time his latest one is worked out.

The manager has no real plan, identity or 'philosophy' anymore and more importantly no experience of being able to win when it matters. This is a manager who went from being 'death by football tiki-tata Barcelona/Spain disciple to Keegan/Ardiles tactics and now to nothing in particular. He's lost his way and lost touch of his own philosoophy. He has never been able to get us playing possession football, control midfield or convincing defensively when put under any sort of pressure. His transfer strategy and record is beyond bad.

The last six months since Coutinho and Sterling ran out of steam and the whole team simply flopped has been horrendous. The opening games this season have not offered much hope but the fact remains it is still far too soon to be drawing any finite conclusions about any aspect of what is happening and certainly utterly ridiculous to be entertaining any definitive thoughts on changing the manager.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:27:31 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11775 on: September 23, 2015, 01:49:13 pm »
So you're conveniently going to completely overlook two absolutely critical and salient aspects

1] It was his first season - taking over an ailing club/feeling his way

2] The second half of the season with Coutinho and Sturridge providing much needed attacking capacity we registered the highest points tally of every club including the eventual Champions

In my eyes you're electing to dismiss such facts because they're not consistent with your stance that dismisses Rodger's capabilities as a manager. Advise me how that is anything other than the stance of an apologist with an anti-Rodger's agenda as distinct from my own which is pointing out genuine progress and achievement as that season wore on.

Rodgers was given the job to implement a philosophy of possession based attacking football. In that sense he had a year to acclimatize and get players used to his way of playing. We're now £300m later in his 4th season and we're no further along with that than when he was appointed and we've got nothing to show for it bar a second place finish followed by a subsequent embarrassment in our return to Europe.

There's no identity to his team. There's no set style. It's all just policy on the hoof. That wasn't his brief.  Especially when results have been so poor overall for over a year now.

Offline Flight

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11776 on: September 23, 2015, 02:03:05 pm »
The crux of the issue in terms of whether we need to replace the manager is not that we were so poor but rather why it was that we were so poor.

The answer is we went an entire season without an attack because of a failure to procure the right sort of attacking replacements for Suarez and Sturridge.

We had four fit forwards.   We didn't get anything like what they are capable of because we played 1 up front all season and didn't play to their strengths. Funnily enough the game we played two up front Balotelli had a blinder (Spurs).

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11777 on: September 23, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »

We had four fit forwards.   We didn't get anything like what they are capable of because we played 1 up front all season and didn't play to their strengths. Funnily enough the game we played two up front Balotelli had a blinder (Spurs).

Borini, Balotelli, lambert and Sterling I presume you mean.

As for the Spurs game - it becomes a subjective issue i guess but for me he was no more than okayish in that game but clearly the team as an entity performed very well with him alongside Sturridge and I doubt there was a single Red who didn't believe it was going to be a carry over of the previous season's destruction of all and sundry.

We soon came down to earth though.

I certainly don't want to open up that whole debate again as to why. The thread I began on that one last Autumn ran for around 150 pages I think so it's done and dusted. My opinion was nailed to the mast - ie that the club failed itself, the manager, the other players and above all us lot by failing to procure the mobile pacy attacking outlets that we needed to replace Suarez and to cover for sturridge.

Watching Danny Ings in the second half on Sunday has cemented that belief in my mind.

If, however, you feel Mario, Borini and lambert were up to that task but were not accorded the opportunity to show it then I'm not going to go once again down the route of disputing that opinion. You're more than welcome to it. I just won't agree with you.

;D

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:29:24 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #11778 on: September 23, 2015, 03:01:04 pm »

Because he is inconsistent. I think it's difficult for a lot of supporters to handle the extraordinary ups and downs under Rogers. I don't want Rodgers gone until at least 10 league games in, but I'll say that I've had difficulty with his inconsistency over the last 3+ years, which also seems to affect the players. For instance:

We're red hot for form, we're colder than glacial ice; we start matches playing one way, e.g. a high block with possession, but abandon the game plan if it doesn't work immediately; some players can't get a look in for long periods, but others do irrespective of form; some players play in their "natural" positions, but others do only rarely; the manager openly speaks about working on certain aspects of the team, e.g. properly playing down the wings, but the team doesn't implement them; we score as many worldies a season as any team in England, but we can hardly score simple goals with good organization and coordinated pass and move routines; our defenders have very good recovery most of the time, but they can hardly organize themselves or best trusted to do the simple things right in possession. Anfield is a fortress for a while, but then we can hardly win a game there. The list goes on and on, mate.

I think that's really the crux of why some supporters don't want Rodgers to be manager anymore. Even tonight, I suspect Carlisle is a real threat to us at home. Why? Because I have no idea how we will play. We could batter them 8-0, but we could just as easily lose 0-3. That's hard to take after a while, even during the great runs. We've learned they won't last, and it only requires one loss for the team's form to descend into hell. If we had seen more consistency from Rodgers, and the players under him, I don't think people would clamor so vehemently for his exit. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:03:36 pm by wemmick »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11779 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »
Because he is inconsistent. I think it's difficult for a lot of supporters to handle the extraordinary ups and downs under Rogers. I don't want Rodgers gone until at least 10 league games in, but I'll say that I've had difficulty with his inconsistency over the last 3+ years, which also seems to affect the players. For instance:

We're red hot for form, we're colder than glacial ice; we start matches playing one way, e.g. a high block with possession, but abandon the game plan if it doesn't work immediately; some players can't get a look in for long periods, but others do irrespective of form; some players play in their "natural" positions, but others do only rarely; the manager openly speaks about working on certain aspects of the team, e.g. properly playing down the wings, but the team doesn't implement them; we score as many worldies a season as any team in England, but we can hardly score simple goals with good organization and coordinated pass and move routines; our defenders have very good recovery most of the time, but they can hardly organize themselves or best trusted to do the simple things right in possession. Anfield is a fortress for a while, but then we can hardly win a game there. The list goes on and on, mate.

I think that's really the crux of why some supporters don't want Rodgers to be manager anymore. Even tonight, I suspect Carlisle is a real threat to us at home. Why? Because I have no idea how we will play. We could batter them 8-0, but we could just as easily lose 0-3. That's hard to take after a while, even during the great runs. We've learned they won't last, and it only requires one loss for the team's form to descend into hell. If we had seen more consistency from Rodgers, and the players under him, I don't think people would clamor so vehemently for his exit. 

In a nutshell.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11780 on: September 23, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »

Spot on.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11781 on: September 23, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »

We're always going to fluctuate wildly under Rodgers. He throws a lot of shit at the wall and when some sticks we're good for a bit until it gets figured out and we go on the next horrible run.

We're always going to be at year zero under Rodgers. We're not building anything. Every year is a transition.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #11782 on: September 23, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »
For example, and I'm not saying this is what's happening, but if Andy Heaton wanted to 'go easy' on Rodgers or FSG because on a business-level it was felt (or was intimated from someone at the club) that being the voice of 'reason' would result in more 'help' from the club in terms of getting interviews with players and staff.

I wouldn't ordinarily question the motives of a fan podcast, but the reality is that TAW is not just a fan podcast anymore, it's a subscription service ergo there's money involved, and it's only natural for 'employees' to do everything they can in order to sustain that, or grow that service.

I'm not saying I believe that to be the case Neil, but you did ask me to clarify what I meant. 

Putting people in a room to slaughter the manager would not be a party-line, it would be a good sample of the conversations of the majority of fans currently, and we're talking about conversations over a six-month period, not a six-week period.

I also don't like the attitude where you go "there's the door, if you don't like it then don't listen to it".  I started getting into TAW because at the time I felt it reflected the real conversations occurring with fans.  And I still do feel the same way, which is why I get disappointed when you don't go full-barrel on Rodgers or FSG, or whoever, when it's patently obvious they've fucked up for the umpteenth time.  But like I say, the show on Monday was very good, and hopefully the picking up of the Rodgers-Out baton continues and doesn't get dropped just because we beat Carlisle and Villa.
Hi,

Few things, apology for the brevity, but I'm abroad and the wifi isn't great.

1. EVERY interview we've got, bar the open sessions with the other sites involved have been organised independently of the club.

2. The club have never offered sweeteners, I'd like to think it's because they know what the answer would be.

3. The suggestion that I'd give FSG, LFC or anyone at the club an easy ride for access/favours has amused me, given both my history with he Union and the stick I get on social
media for supposedly having an agenda AGAINST FSG.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11783 on: September 23, 2015, 05:13:02 pm »

I think that's a really good post.

I'd say there's very little if anything to dispute in terms of your comments upon what we've witnessed on the pitch from Rodgers teams these past three seasons.

And quite frankly if you feel that the criticisms you've cited particularly regarding the inconsistencies is justification for removing Rodgers then who am I to dispute your right to such an opinion.

Having regard to the bigger picture, I personally don't feel that is anywhere near sufficient justification to warrant ditching the fellow but I can see why you appear so infuriated by it.

A couple of further things I would say regarding the reason why things have not always gone to plan and perhaps have contributed to some of the inconsistencies 

1] any manager only has so much control once the players are on the pitch. Whether we like it or not players do occasionally become inexplicably incapable of delivering simple 5 yard passes or do fail to track back and pick up opponents or do choose a la Coutinho to shoot tamely instead of delivering a simple square pass for an almost cert goal - and boy oh boy have we had to endure a ridiculously large amount of such awful play this past 6 months or so.

2] The fellow has for whatever reason lost or been deprived of an unprecedented amount of playing talent and he appears to have been landed with questionable playing talent whom he may not have really wanted - all of which one way or another may have contributed to the way things have gone awry.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:17:55 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11784 on: September 23, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »
Coutinho to shoot tamely instead of delivering a simple square pass for an almost cert goal

;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11785 on: September 23, 2015, 06:12:15 pm »

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #11786 on: September 23, 2015, 08:01:30 pm »
I think that's a really good post.

I'd say there's very little if anything to dispute in terms of your comments upon what we've witnessed on the pitch from Rodgers teams these past three seasons.

And quite frankly if you feel that the criticisms you've cited particularly regarding the inconsistencies is justification for removing Rodgers then who am I to dispute your right to such an opinion.

Having regard to the bigger picture, I personally don't feel that is anywhere near sufficient justification to warrant ditching the fellow but I can see why you appear so infuriated by it.

A couple of further things I would say regarding the reason why things have not always gone to plan and perhaps have contributed to some of the inconsistencies 

1] any manager only has so much control once the players are on the pitch. Whether we like it or not players do occasionally become inexplicably incapable of delivering simple 5 yard passes or do fail to track back and pick up opponents or do choose a la Coutinho to shoot tamely instead of delivering a simple square pass for an almost cert goal - and boy oh boy have we had to endure a ridiculously large amount of such awful play this past 6 months or so.

2] The fellow has for whatever reason lost or been deprived of an unprecedented amount of playing talent and he appears to have been landed with questionable playing talent whom he may not have really wanted - all of which one way or another may have contributed to the way things have gone awry.

Those are fair points, Timbo. I don't begrudge you wanting Rogers to have more time, and sacking him will be a big risk, since we don't really know the difference between what is his fault and what is the players' fault. It's entirely possible that the same problems would carry over to another manager, even one as highly touted as Klopp. Too many young players, too many under performing older players, a distinct lack of quality in some areas of the pitch, the need to settle in for others of good quality, and some that just don't work out. It's a tall order managing a club with our history that is just about on the outside looking in. Right now we're a big club in stature that is not quite a big club in terms of results. That'll be tough for any manager.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:04:16 pm by wemmick »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11787 on: September 24, 2015, 05:33:49 am »
The Pink: Neil's best opening :45 to a pod maybe ever.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11788 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:27 am »
This depresses me as well. This thread and the Anfield wrap were things that kept me sane in times of trouble. Now this is infested with people perpetuating this 'sack the manager' bollocks

I wish H and G had never happened . The day Rafa left upset me and it will upset me again if we hound a manager out when the two top replacements clearly don't want to come in.

Perhaps we do need a change but the negativity, tantrums and anger is making following football thing a lot less fun.

Sounds like I was one of few who enjoyed qualifying last night
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #11789 on: September 24, 2015, 08:05:49 am »
I feel for these lads trying to accentuate any positives at the moment.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11790 on: September 24, 2015, 08:33:00 am »

But they are talking about the bigger picture...the performances. If all that mattered was the result, then there wouldnt be a need to talk about anything because you would find the result and end the podcast in 10 seconds.

Neil and John were being very fair last night.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11791 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:44 am »

Happy to be through but ffs we had close to a full strength available side out but needed 120 minutes and then penalties to beat a struggling 4th division side when we've got a must win game on Saturday. If we had a scratch side out like at Bordeaux then you could be happier with it, but we're burning players out and risking injury against Carlisle and still needing penalties.

At least against formidable Northampton it was a genuine second string.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:19:38 am by Bitter Mug »

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #11792 on: September 24, 2015, 09:55:50 am »
I nearly wet myself at Neil opening by rapping Nicki Minaj
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11793 on: September 24, 2015, 10:52:28 am »
Nice and balanced last night, I thought. There have to be serious questions asked re: Brendan's tenure now and they did that in a way that wasn't screeching or polemic. He may well answer them but if people like the Anfield Wrap won't ask them (in a rational manner), who will? We can't rely on mainstream media or the Monday bloody night club.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #11794 on: September 24, 2015, 11:22:00 am »
Apropos of nothing, I was thinking I'd like to listen back to the interview exclusive the Wrap did with Brendan in his and their (TAW) early days.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11795 on: September 24, 2015, 01:16:56 pm »
There's always criticism and sometimes people are motivated to comment more when they thing something is done wrong rather than when it's been done well but since the West Ham game, in difficult times, I've thought the podcasts have been good to listen to and have provided some great discussion that isn't often catered for by the usual media outlets and you's deserve a pat on the back ;D .
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #11796 on: September 24, 2015, 02:30:12 pm »
Apropos of nothing, I was thinking I'd like to listen back to the interview exclusive the Wrap did with Brendan in his and their (TAW) early days.

Andy linked this a while back:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/f/1/ff154d894b5c1f1f/INTERVIEW_-_RODGERS_21122012.m4a?c_id=5250022&expiration=1443106917&hwt=be94fc8e9bc0d3c8d26577347bbe6d06

It's a Q&A with the fan groups I think.

Are you talking about the Keane incident episode? (my overriding memory of that pod)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:31:52 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Lovely Man

• Main Stander
  • I have Mr Mime
« Reply #11797 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:14 pm »
This depresses me as well. This thread and the Anfield wrap were things that kept me sane in times of trouble. Now this is infested with people perpetuating this 'sack the manager' bollocks

I wish H and G had never happened . The day Rafa left upset me and it will upset me again if we hound a manager out when the two top replacements clearly don't want to come in.

Perhaps we do need a change but the negativity, tantrums and anger is making following football thing a lot less fun.

What the fuck.   ;D
Haddaway - "What is love, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11798 on: September 24, 2015, 03:42:24 pm »
TAW is the most sensible and balanced Liverpool discussion you can find anywhere today. It's boss and worth every cent and anyone who thinks otherwise can do one.

It's great evidence of the meaningful discussions that can take place amongst Liverpool supporters when sniping one another is put aside and the football takes centre stage.

The RAWK shit-flinging is tiresome because no one can say anything without being accused of having an agenda. When can we all just agree that if you spend all your free time discussing Liverpool then your only agenda is wanting the best for our beloved football club?
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #11799 on: September 24, 2015, 05:49:15 pm »
TAW is the most sensible and balanced Liverpool discussion you can find anywhere today. It's boss and worth every cent and anyone who thinks otherwise can do one.

It's great evidence of the meaningful discussions that can take place amongst Liverpool supporters when sniping one another is put aside and the football takes centre stage.

The RAWK shit-flinging is tiresome because no one can say anything without being accused of having an agenda. When can we all just agree that if you spend all your free time discussing Liverpool then your only agenda is wanting the best for our beloved football club?

Nice.