Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 332331 times)

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard leaves Hospital
« Reply #1400 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »
Can't wait to see the skipper back! Hopefully we'll ease him in gently over the next few weeks but god is he gonna be a sight for sore eyes. Not cos we've struggled especially without him but because how fucking awesome and influential he is and will be. Luis must be licking his lips.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1401 on: September 12, 2011, 03:02:05 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0um8bdoRNc&feature=player_embedded

Watch that and tell me you're not excited about his return.

great stuff but not as good as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMOkyFOopY

I cant go a week without watching it once.

WHO ELSE STEVEN GERRARD

NICE STRIKE OH BETTER THAN NICE

HES A MAGNIFICENT PLAYER STRIDES AROUND THE FIELD LIKE A COLUSSUS WINNING TACKLES TRAKING BACK  AND WHEN LIVERPOOL NEEDED HIM POPS UP WITH TWO GOALS IN THE SPACE OF 5 MINUTES

8)

Offline m4Rco

• Kopite
  • wat
« Reply #1402 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:59 am »
great stuff but not as good as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMOkyFOopY

I cant go a week without watching it once.

WHO ELSE STEVEN GERRARD

NICE STRIKE OH BETTER THAN NICE

HES A MAGNIFICENT PLAYER STRIDES AROUND THE FIELD LIKE A COLUSSUS WINNING TACKLES TRAKING BACK  AND WHEN LIVERPOOL NEEDED HIM POPS UP WITH TWO GOALS IN THE SPACE OF 5 MINUTES

8)

Absolutely. Used to watch this every day, thanks for reminding me of it.
#8 Steven Gerrard
There was no miracle in Istanbul. It was just a man inspiring other men to victory. A man with whom you'll never walk alone.

Offline GEMSTAR58

• Kopite
  • Liverpool was made for me and i for liverpool.
« Reply #1403 on: September 12, 2011, 03:16:33 am »

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1404 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:53 am »
Absolutely. Used to watch this every day, thanks for reminding me of it.

make up for lost time then....  ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:33 am »
i see tony evans was having a big argument with a few fans on twitter last night with regards to whether gerrard is or has been world class or not. according to evans he isn't.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:12 am »
i see tony evans was having a big argument with a few fans on twitter last night with regards to whether gerrard is or has been world class or not. according to evans he isn't.
Stopped following Evans on twitter a while ago..seems incredibly self-absorbed. The above argument doesn't surprise - Gerrard never been world class? What a joke...I see Evans then went with the old "lets see your credentials on football knowledge against mine"...very mature.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:45 am »
If Gerrard is not world class, i honestly do not know what is.
-YNWA-

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1408 on: September 12, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »
Is Tony Evans, or has he ever been, a moron? The answer is yes he was, yes he is, and yes he always will be.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »

This is the sort of 'Expert' opinion in the media that drives me mad. The guy is clueless.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline danbylfc

• Kopite
« Reply #1410 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:05 pm »
Cant wait for him to be back.
Twitter: @Stedanby

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: September 12, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
???

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1412 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »
If Gerrard is not world class, i honestly do not know what is.

I think the only debate is if he still is world class, hes not been playing like himself for about 2 years, but to question if hes ever been world class is not even a debate, and if he's never been world class, who exactly has?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #1413 on: September 12, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
I think the only debate is if he still is world class, hes not been playing like himself for about 2 years, but to question if hes ever been world class is not even a debate, and if he's never been world class, who exactly has?

Yeah your right. Right now he is not in the same calibre as say Messi. I just meant he is of pedigree of world class players. Like Zidane is world class. I probably should word it better :)
-YNWA-

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1414 on: September 12, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »
Just read through it.
It seems to be that Evans believes world class footballers are the true elite footballers in the game.
And thinks Gerrard is a level below that, which is fair enough.

What exactly is 'world class'?
Best in the world? Best in the world in your position? Could get into any side? Top five in your position?
It is a subjective thing. I have never understood that term myself.

What matters is Gerrard is has brilliant talent and has used it to our advantage over the years.
He will go down as one of Liverpool's greatest players(as Evans himself said), that is hardly an insult.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: September 12, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »

To regard "world class" as referring to "greatest ever" is to stretch the meaning of the words beyond reason. "World class" obviously means to be among the best players of his kind in the world, to be a player whom you can imagine can step into any team in the world and be first choice in his position. Gerrard was nailed on world class for years as a midfielder. He may or may no longer be world class due to injuries and age but he is still an extremely good player by any standard.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1416 on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:03 pm »
I can understand people saying he's no longer world class but to say he's never been?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1417 on: September 12, 2011, 02:03:03 pm »
Just have to pray the operation did the job 100%, because he will slot right into this team.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #1418 on: September 12, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »
He is the greatest ever Midfielder i've seen in his prime. Of course i am bias because im a liverpool fan and im young. But for the 10-15 years i can remember of watching football he's been the greatest for me and im sure for many others. I think he just sums up what english football is all about.
-YNWA-

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1419 on: September 12, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
class is permanent, stevie is one the greats of the game already, evans can fuck off

hope he's well enough to start against spurs

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1420 on: September 12, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »

You got to feel sorry for him or anybody who doesn't realise that Gerrard is world class.

If he DOES really think he is, but is just refusing to acknowledge it for whatever reason, then that's very sad and twisted and the guy obviously has personal problems.

But if he simply can't see what 99.9% of all other football followers already know, that Gerrard is pure world class and one of the top 10 midfielders this country has ever produced in 150 years of the game, then that's even sadder.

He should call it a day and go and follow a different sport/profession.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1421 on: September 12, 2011, 02:36:52 pm »
Just read through it.
It seems to be that Evans believes world class footballers are the true elite footballers in the game.
And thinks Gerrard is a level below that, which is fair enough.

What exactly is 'world class'?
Best in the world? Best in the world in your position? Could get into any side? Top five in your position?
It is a subjective thing. I have never understood that term myself.

What matters is Gerrard is has brilliant talent and has used it to our advantage over the years.
He will go down as one of Liverpool's greatest players(as Evans himself said), that is hardly an insult.

No, I'm not having it, sorry.

If the likes of Scholes, Giggs etc are believed to be world class, then there's no way he can say Gerrard isn't in that catergory.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #1422 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »

If the likes of Scholes, Giggs etc are believed to be world class, then there's no way he can say Gerrard isn't in that catergory.
Its pretty simple really. Gerrard isnt/ has never been world class because he aint a inbred manc c*nt that played under bacon face.
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1423 on: September 12, 2011, 02:42:16 pm »

You got to feel sorry for him or anybody who doesn't realise that Gerrard is world class.

If he DOES really think he is, but is just refusing to acknowledge it for whatever reason, then that's very sad and twisted and the guy obviously has personal problems.

But if he simply can't see what 99.9% of all other football followers already know, that Gerrard is pure world class and one of the top 10 midfielders this country has ever produced in 150 years of the game, then that's even sadder.

He should call it a day and go and follow a different sport/profession.

Have you read through what he said? He said he was a brilliant player, Liverpool's second greatest, and that he 'loves him'.
Nothing but complementary to Steven Gerrard, he just has a different definition of 'world class' than many on here and twitter.

I sort of agree with him in so much as 'world class' is a phrase that is bandied about all of the time.
In my life I have seen certain players in their pomp who are much greater than Gerrard is.
Messi, both Ronaldo's, and Zidane. But there also defenders who never get this sort of praise that have been out of this world, Maldini the best example I can think of.

However I have never seen such routine brilliance and enjoyed such brilliance from any other player than Gerrard.
Steven Gerrard will be defined as one of the greatest Liverpool players and it is far greater praise than 'world class', or 'best midfielder of his generation', etc.

I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: September 12, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

Evans caterogrised both players as 'very good' not world class.
He is consistent in not over using the term and I admire that in a world of hyperbole and knee jerk reactions.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #1425 on: September 12, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »
If you read the entire you would notice that the only players he considers worlclass are the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Dalglish, Beckenbauer, Zidane etc.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: September 12, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »
He's not world class because he hasn't "won us 3 titles", according to Tony Evans ::)

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1427 on: September 12, 2011, 02:45:19 pm »
He's not world class because he hasn't "won us 3 titles", according to Tony Evans ::)

Have you read all of it?

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: September 12, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »
Evans has got 'world class' confused with 'the greatest of all time'. Does that mean in his eyes the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta etc aren't world class?

In my opinion, world class basically means the 'class of the world'. So basically if a player is in the top 2 or 3 (at a stretch 4) players in his position in the world, he is 'world class'.

To reiterate though, I don't think Gerrard is world class any more.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:50:59 pm by Samee »
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #1429 on: September 12, 2011, 02:48:32 pm »
If you read the entire you would notice that the only players he considers worlclass are the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Dalglish, Beckenbauer, Zidane etc.

Which is fair enough. Gerrard easily falls into the next category of bloody good.

Offline Samee

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: September 12, 2011, 02:49:50 pm »

Gerrard at his peak was as good as Dalglish.

*ducks for cover*
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: September 12, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »
Gerrard at his peak was as good as Dalglish.

*ducks for cover*

To be fair Samee, neither of us are in a position to claim that having not seen both players live.
Plus, Dalglish has all sorts of honours to his name, and Gerrard while having done well for himself doesn't have the same level of achievements.
Gerrard is the greatest of his generation for Liverpool undoubtedly. And he is up there with the true Liverpool greats Dalglish, Liddell, Barnes, etc.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1432 on: September 12, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
Ohhhh good a football semantics debate....there should be more in my opinion especially as the long winter nights begin to draw in

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: September 12, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
Evans is off his head if he thinks Gerrard was never world class.

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!
« Reply #1434 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:50 pm »
Evans is off his head if he thinks Gerrard was never world class.

Agreed!

World class is to me is when you could walk into any team in the world.

At his peak ....absolutley.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1435 on: September 12, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »
Gerrard world class? Mourinho, Del Bosque and Benitez certainly thought he was...I will take that over Tony Evans.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29:30 pm »
:lmao if true.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard: Return imminent...
« Reply #1437 on: September 12, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »
Evans has got 'world class' confused with 'the greatest of all time'. Does that mean in his eyes the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta etc aren't world class?

In a nutshell.

Has Gerrard been as good as the very best players of all time?  No.

Has he been in the top bracket of world footballers playing at the time?  Yes.

The world class tag does get thrown around a lot these days, but Gerrard at his peak fits any description of it ... besides for this stupid description from Evans.  But hey, intentionally or unintentionally it has got him some attention, job done.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Gerrard: Return imminent...
« Reply #1438 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0um8bdoRNc&feature=player_embedded

Watch that and tell me you're not excited about his return.

I couldn't watch that without shaking my head at disbelief at some of the things he did and I've seen each goal several times!

Best of his generation for me, Scholes is up there and will nick it in many peoples eyes as he won titles but he was just more fortunate to play in a better squad, he didn't single handedly drag United through games like Stevie did for us

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: September 12, 2011, 05:04:17 pm »
:lmao if true.
TonyEvansTimes Tony Evans
@
@D_C1992 If he was world class, why haven't we won three titles. Good player, great player on occasion. Get a grip