Author Topic: Football Bullshitters (belter of a post from Hightown)  (Read 20822 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Football Bullshitters (belter of a post from Hightown)
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:51 pm »
I had this discussion with someone on here the other night, and we both concluded the same thing: Some people just decide a player is good and get a hard on for him and become experts on every intricacy of their game and make themselves sound like an authority without actually seeing them play that much.

How many people banging this Juan Mata drum can comprehensively say they've seen him enough to talk chapter and verse on him say 'You know what, we should try and sign him above everyone else' and know exactly what he'll offer to our side? Is it because he's got an exotic name? Is it because he mugged someone off on youtube with a boss bit of skill at the World Cup? Is it because you're listening to someone else's opinion and passing it off as your own?

How much of Valencia can some people honestly watch? There's 168 hours in a week - you spend 45-50 in work and travelling to work, and 60ish in and around bed. That's giving 50 hours a week.

If we're playing, I'll chalk away another 5 hours a week, take away 5 hours to wash, eat, shit, shop and all the necessary stuff and you've probably got around 40 hours a week left.

In your 45 hours a week of spare time, do you really watch enough of both Aston Villa and Valencia to sit there and say 'Well, that's too much for Downing, but we should definitely spend that money on Mata.'

If you do spend that much time watching Valencia and Aston Villa, then to be honest, you should probably get a life really, you know, talk to a human being, maybe a bird or something, shouldn't you?

Football bullshitters - there's a World out there. Instead of trying to turn yourself in to some modern version of Tom fucking Saunders, sit back and put your trust in the people we've got running the club.

Or sign him on Football Manager. One of the two.

All hail the Hightown one.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Football Bullshitters (belter of a post from Hightown)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »
We should buy Hazard.

* He's good on FM
* He sounds dangerous
* He probably owns a Red Car that has a great horn and jumps over Rivers
* He'll bring Daisy Duke with him
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:00 pm »
We should buy Hazard.

* He's good on FM
* He sounds dangerous

Will he play with the team though?  ;)
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:32 pm »
Well none of us are experts in anything football related then. And certainly not compared to anybody near Liverpool's staff.

We know Kenny though and we know what he's capable of achieving, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the people who have absolutely no trust in the manager. It's okay to question the manager at any time, but some of the shit written on players we haven't signed yet is embarrassing.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »
well said phil!
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
* He sounds dangerous
That's a big one though. How many players has a name as dangerous as Hazard? He's one of a kind man.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »
Well none of us are experts in anything football related then. And certainly not compared to anybody near Liverpool's staff.

Not true, really. Some people on here will watch a lot more football than others; not even out of choice, either.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:15 pm »
My first driving instructor was called Mr Hazard....what a f***ing name for a driving instructor!

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »
FUCKING SPOT ON LAD YEAH, FUCKING SPOT THE DOG ON MATE, PURPLE BIN, JOEY JONES, TONY BEEP BEEP MATE, YEAH? SPOT THE FUCK DOG ON.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
Not true, really. Some people on here will watch a lot more football than others; not even out of choice, either.

If you have a giant elephant sized football and you watch it a lot in your back garden, do you win £20?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline liverpool_21

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:12 pm »
We should buy Hazard.

* He's good on FM
* He sounds dangerous

I doubt Hazard would be a downer like Downing :P

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:12 pm »
Just because some people watch more football than others doesn't make them football experts - that's one of the points of the post you've just quoted  :o

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »
Just because some people watch more football than others doesn't make them football experts - that's one of the points of the post you've just quoted  :o

I watch ball long time!

Offline brendanbrady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »
Not sure why, but your post reminded me of this scene from Good Will Hunting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »

This is a chance for you two to carry on your Aguero discussion  ;D

Any fresh updates Jellies?

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »

No brainiac, the point was that people put forward and opinion, convinced it's right, make out it's their opinion, when in actual fact they've got absolutely no idea what they're talking about because it isn't actually their opinion.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »
No brainiac, the point was that people put forward and opinion, convinced it's right, make out it's their opinion, when in actual fact they've got absolutely no idea what they're talking about because it isn't actually their opinion.

It's okay, he's just making it up as he goes along again.  ;D

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:35:03 pm »
FUCKING SPOT ON LAD YEAH, FUCKING SPOT THE DOG ON MATE, PURPLE BIN, JOEY JONES, TONY BEEP BEEP MATE, YEAH? SPOT THE FUCK DOG ON.

Are you feeling okay?

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

5 hours a week on eating? Must be one skinny bastard.

Boss post though.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »
Great post. Should go in the great posts you've missed thread.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »
Not sure why, but your post reminded me of this scene from Good Will Hunting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

Fcukin A, how do you like them apples!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:03 pm »

Are you sure about that. ;)
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:38:47 pm »
good post.  some people on here do watch an ENORMOUS amount of football and to be fair they're usually the opinions i head for first.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »

Hmmm, and of all those available hours, how much time has High Town dedicted to the study of my power of analysis of a players pros and cons and ability to project it into a Liverpool side?

Mata I feel would do well from what I watched in a tournament, by looking at the skillset he's shown. Ability to control a ball, bring in players, make himself available for a pass, his awareness of his teamates, his decision making and abilities to pass. I admit I cannot pass comment on how well he would do as a keeper.

That said, one insight I had was people's complaints about Mascherano's passing, which I found not spectacular but fine enough. Then I played FIFA 10, boy is his passing rubbish.

As for trusting in the management, sure by all means, but surely on a forum you should be able to express your hopes and fears for each potential target (albeit with reasoning if you want your opinion to be taken as having substance), for example any on a Spurs forum saying buying Bale as a leftback is a bad idea, but he might be better placed as a left midfielder would have provided an opinion worth considering.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:05 pm »
No, that's your point. The first post didn't say anything about it. It said that people make their opinions based on very little (as few would have time for watching Villa/Valencia in their spare 45 hours), not that they make their opinions based on what other people say or opinions that other people created. The post, however, has multiple points - not including your own conclusion of course - whereas one of them are that you don't become a football expert from having watched Mata/Downing as little as most people on here have. People choose sides to begin with, and unintentionally they'll see everything as supportive of their opinion, much like you did there yourself.

You may have gotten it mixed up with that Good Will Hunting video. That is in fact about people basing their opinion on other people's opinion.

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 01:40:19 pm »
It's okay, he's just making it up as he goes along again.  ;D
As opposed to those who just quote another guy and fucks off?

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:26 pm »
Are you feeling okay?

WELL SAID MATE.

YEAH?
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline TheDpoLenz without the please like

• Loves to cream himself - but never on the face... cainarbatonmai
  • Legacy Fan
  • sound,,,,,,
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »
So in other words

You can stop dreaming about mata cuz we are getting downing.

I watched allot of villa last season as was always impressed with him.

Never watched much of mata though

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 01:43:40 pm »
Hmmm, and of all those available hours, how much time has High Town dedicted to the study of my power of analysis of a players pros and cons and ability to project it into a Liverpool side?

He didn't say he does, but he watches a lot of football for the record - it's his job.   ;)

As opposed to those who just quote another guy and fucks off?

I'm working Aguero.

WELL SAID MATE.

YEAH?

Yeah.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »
I get the point of the post - however it's just like anything people do have an opinion on everything, this is the internet, where people can talk about what they want when they want and have no knowledge even, all the stats/info/photos/proof e.t.c is a click of a mouse away.

Why there is a new thread about it in the LFC forum though, I don't understand.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:44:21 pm »

??? :lmao
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 01:44:25 pm »

Why does it really bother you?

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:07 pm »
I was very surprised to see how many people had an opinion on Doni, Cissokho, Pelosi and Roux. I have trouble rating Meireles, Aquilani and Kyrgiakos myself, and I've seen a lot of all three.

Offline TheDpoLenz without the please like

• Loves to cream himself - but never on the face... cainarbatonmai
  • Legacy Fan
  • sound,,,,,,
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:26 pm »
I

Because l6 thinks he is hot shit  ;D

Offline brendanbrady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »
Fcukin A, how do you like them apples!

Were you gonna plagarize the whole thing for us, do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Is that your thing? you read some obscure passage, come into a bar and pawn it off as your own, just to impress some girl...embarrass my friend?  See the sad thing about a guy like you is that in 50 years your gonna start doing some thinking on your own and your gonna come up with the faact that there are two certainties in life.  one, don't do that. and the other, you just dropped $150 grand on an education you could've gotten from a $1.50 in late charges at your local library.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
Good post. I honestly can't stand the Transfer Forum. I never go in there. Each thread is as shit as the next. Mounds of absolute bollox being spouted left right and center. There's a few sound posters in there, but the Transfer forum needs fucking off really IMO.

I'd much rather discuss the players we currently have. I don't really watch other teams. It doesn't interest me, unless it's a big European tie or something, or an International Tournament. Outside of that, I couldn't give a fuck who Juan Mata is, where he plays, or who he plays for. Unless of course we do end up signing him. Then I might take an interest 
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »
No, that's your point. The first post didn't say anything about it. It said that people make their opinions based on very little (as few would have time for watching Villa/Valencia in their spare 45 hours), not that they make their opinions based on what other people say or opinions that other people created. The post, however, has multiple points - not including your own conclusion of course - whereas one of them are that you don't become a football expert from having watched Mata/Downing as little as most people on here have. People choose sides to begin with, and unintentionally they'll see everything as supportive of their opinion, much like you did there yourself.

You may have gotten it mixed up with that Good Will Hunting video. That is in fact about people basing their opinion on other people's opinion.

Ok then, it was a mixture of the two. People not seeing enough of someone to correctly form their opinion, then pretending they do, whilst stealing someone else's opinion.

Could you, respectfully, please extract your head from your own arse?

Thanks.

I was very surprised to see how many people had an opinion on Doni, Cissokho, Pelosi and Roux. I have trouble rating Meireles, Aquilani and Kyrgiakos myself, and I've seen a lot of all three.

Which is, in effect, my point.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:16 pm »
watching football does not make you an expert does it? I know people who 'watch' games on tv and everything that goes on they are oblivious to until the ball is in the net.

The only people i listen to in my everyday life and listen to their views are people who have played the game at a good level and also those who think about the game, not just what they see via a tv. They think about whats going on off the ball etc.

There is no such thing as experts and thats why forums like this exist. If there were experts each of us would be put in our place.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 02:38:11 pm »
Luckily or unluckily some of us here is South Africa watch a lot of football [esp main] but more recently there is a lot from spanish. We are force-fed these two even if you don't want to watch there won't be anything else to watch. Therefore, i have seen a few game of Mata BUT to indicate that we have to sacrifice Meireles and AA for him is ludicrous. The three of them are at the same level with different styles and AA's style is attractive to the eye than Mata's and Meireles. Therefore if I was in Kenny's shhoes I would not even think of Mata -- luckily I am not.

To come to your point... some people are really good at identifying talent. I remember last year when it became clear that Rafa was going to get a kick in the butt many people started talking about Villa Boas and now the rest is history as we all know where he is. I was definitely not one of them as I rarely watch Portuguese soccer. So please cut them some slack. Some of them know what they are talking about or can see talent where most of can't. The only talent i have is that of listening to our managers/coaches.

The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 02:45:38 pm »
watching football does not make you an expert does it? I know people who 'watch' games on tv and everything that goes on they are oblivious to until the ball is in the net.

The only people i listen to in my everyday life and listen to their views are people who have played the game at a good level and also those who think about the game, not just what they see via a tv. They think about whats going on off the ball etc.

There is no such thing as experts and thats why forums like this exist. If there were experts each of us would be put in our place.

It isn't about being an expert though - it's about bullshitting you know something about players you've hardly ever seen.