Author Topic: End of facebook?  (Read 13179 times)

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
End of facebook?
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »
The number of people using Facebook during May fell in the US, UK, Canada, Norway and Russia, according to new data.

That means the site's growth has slowed for the second month in a row, even as it approaches 700 million users worldwide.

In the US the site lost about 6 million users, from 155.2 million at the start of May to 149.4 million at its end, according to data gathered from Facebook's advertising tool by the site Inside Facebook.

Canada fell by 1.52 million to 16.6 million and the UK, Norway and Russia all saw falls of more than 100,000 users, the site said.

The slowing growth in user numbers may indicate that Facebook has hit the limits of expansion in the countries where it was first successful – and perhaps even that some early adopters from those countries have stopped using it.

According to the data gathered via the Facebook advertising tool, the world's largest social media site added another 11.8 million users in May, though even that was a slowing compared with April, when it added 13.9 million. Both those numbers were slower, though, compared with the 20 million who have typically been added each month over the past year to take the site to 687 million "monthly active" users – who log in at least once per month.

The drops in the US, Canada, UK and elsewhere held its growth back from the typical growth figure. Without new sources of growth, that could limit the site's total audience.

Eric Eldon of Inside Facebook noted that "by the time Facebook reaches around 50% of the total population in a given country (plus or minus, depending on internet access rates in that country), growth generally slows to a halt ... So far, Facebook has been able to make up stalls and losses with big gains in heavily populated developing countries like Mexico, Brazil, India and Indonesia."

He notes that if it is allowed into China, that growth could take off again towards 1 billion users – although he adds that getting inside the country "could both give it access to hundreds of millions of users and compromise its reputation in the US and many other countries around the world".

China's repressive approach to internet use and communication, whereby users inside the country are banned from accessing a wide range of information hosted outside the country with which the Chinese regime disagrees, has led to sites such as Facebook and Twitter being banned from direct access to Chinese net users, who outnumber the total US connected population.

Despite the month-on-month fall, the US still saw a 23% overall growth in users between May 2010 and May 2011 to 155.2 million users, while the UK grew by 10% to 29.9 million in the same period. The US is the largest country in terms of users overall, with Indonesia second with 36.4m, followed by the UK and Turkey.

The fastest-growing countries among the top 25 largest users areas during the year were Brazil and Russia, each up almost fourfold to 17.1 million and 4.6 million users respectively. A number of other countries nearly doubled their users: India (up 160% to 24.9 million), Thailand (up 143% to 9.1 million users), Egypt (up 108% to 7.1 million), Poland (up 130% to 6.1 million) and Peru (up 126% to 5.5 million).

taken from http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/13/facebook-growth-slows-for-second-month

Who's with me in deleting their accounts?  :wave

Offline FitRobbie

• Anny Roader
Re: End of facebook?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:33 pm »
The fad is over....

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »
Its all because of the shit loads of spam that comes your way now.  And the privacy settings are a joke since anyone can send you a friend request and there is no way of hiding things like your profile picture in a public search.  A lot of things wrong with it at the moment but I'll persevere with it simply because it is the one thing that has kept me in touch with people I lost other contact with years ago and genuinely have nothing but good wishes for.   
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:47:37 pm »
I log on everyday and have a quick browse of status updates and a few pics of certain people, not bad for keeping in touch with a few old faces and easy to keep in touch with regards to up coming events. But besides all that use it a lot less than I used to and hide away a fair few people as the shite they come out with is annoying and you see another side to them, basically things that should be left between them and their partner.

It will stay as one of the biggest social network and websites until something drastic happens to change it, in regards to the privacy issues and such like, that alone would only lose a small amount of people. Most simply do not care when for them, the benefits out weigh the negatives.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »
Bit premature to be saying it's 'the end of facebook' because the growth has slowed and a small percentage have sacked it off. Like it or not, it's going to be around for a long time yet.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:30 pm »
Despite the month-on-month fall, the US still saw a 23% overall growth in users between May 2010 and May 2011 to 155.2 million users, while the UK grew by 10% to 29.9 million in the same period. The US is the largest country in terms of users overall, with Indonesia second with 36.4m, followed by the UK and Turkey.

Like everything it has a ceiling but unless something comes about that knocks it off its perch, it will continue to be a cog in society. I dont use it but amongst the people I know, more of them are signing up than stepping away.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »
Hope so, pile of shit.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:49 pm »
cant see it going the way of bebo or anything, i think more and more people are getting fed up with it because alot of others use it to talk shite.. lets be honest how many people do you know dont have facebook now-a-days? no wonder its slowing up..
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »
Don't get the people who hate it and want it gone really, it is an amazing website which keeps you in touch with all your friends and people you've met such as holidays etc.. its not as if people have to pay for it nor use it so if they want to hide away from their social life and not get in contact with their mates, that's their choice, I suppose..

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »
Back to bebo so

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:24 pm »
cant see it going the way of bebo or anything, i think more and more people are getting fed up with it because alot of others use it to talk shite.. lets be honest how many people do you know dont have facebook now-a-days? no wonder its slowing up..

I don't.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:55 pm »
 The end of Facebook? Come off it? The seven hundred million users it has attracted over the years aren't going to desert the site all of a sudden just because a few Norwegians are logging on less each month. It's a part of our society and will be for the foreseeable future. Of course there will be people who dislike or don't get the service provided and run stories like this, but that doesn't change anything.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline cevans16

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »
No chance, it's a way of life for some people.  Unless something comes along and betters it and takes the majority of the users away, facebook will be around for a long, long time yet.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »
Can you actually 'delete' your account though? all i've found is how to effectively hybernate - if its possible to delete an account (i.e remove all information) please somebody tell me!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »
hardly the end of it. I find it a useful resource to keep in contact with family in australia and mates in london and al over the world.Its not something im on every day, but something i use as a means of contacting people for nothing.I do think some people are obsessed with it , a bit similar to those people who download apps and stuff and show their mates their i phone in the pub with a new app..who really cares?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
Its all because of the shit loads of spam that comes your way now.  And the privacy settings are a joke since anyone can send you a friend request and there is no way of hiding things like your profile picture in a public search.  A lot of things wrong with it at the moment but I'll persevere with it simply because it is the one thing that has kept me in touch with people I lost other contact with years ago and genuinely have nothing but good wishes for.   

Account > Privacy setting > control basic information > send you friend request

Account > Privacy setting > control basic information > search for you on facebook

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
I don't think it's the end just yet, but i do think it has a limited lifespan. It will hit a plateu then users will start to dwindle and users will frequent the site less and less over time. Untill it either fades away into obscurity, much like it's predecessors, or something else replaces it.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »
The whole thing was build so that someone can do some serious data mining and sell the information onto corporations.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »
Certain fan pages allow quick access to your favourite items such as music, football etc.

I enjoy watching the UFC and although the main events are on ESPN you can watch non televised fights on the official UFC fan page, instantly giving access to millions of people. Whether you like the fact that everyone you know can know about you, offers so much more.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »
Meh! The internet was only ever a passing fad.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 02:39:51 pm »
Hardly the end of FB is it?

People will naturally leave it if it doesn't evolve to meet the needs of the early adopters.  Add in the fact that they have had a lot of bad press recently and you are bound to have a loss of users.

Love it or hate it, it's around for the long term, but it will still need to adapt a lot to keep it's popularity.

Personally, I only use it for catching up with people and posting the odd picture.  All the apps and crap just makes it pointless.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »
like RAWK, it's yet another opiate for the weak minded. There is a finite amount of crap that people can fit into their heads, and Facebook is a great way of filling heads with virtual sewage, rather than actually doing something with someone or something real that may have some kind of meaning or outcome.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »
Work in social media & been predicting this for a while! I reckon within the next 12 months there'll be something that'll come along  & blow it out of the water. My money's on google....
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 02:53:28 pm »
like RAWK, it's yet another opiate for the weak minded. There is a finite amount of crap that people can fit into their heads, and Facebook is a great way of filling heads with virtual sewage, rather than actually doing something with someone or something real that may have some kind of meaning or outcome.

Spot on.

Although, i wouldn't say the same about RAWK. Otherwise why would i only browse the boards in work?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »
Account > Privacy setting > control basic information > send you friend request

Account > Privacy setting > control basic information > search for you on facebook

Changed them both ages ago but point is, as long as you have a profile picture, when a person searches for you in a public search, your profile picture will show up.  Only way to circumvent it is to remove the picture as far as I know.  If you know of a way in which I can stop my picture appearing in searches, please let me know !

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:00:25 pm »
The amount of times i have deactivated my one is silly.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »
Changed them both ages ago but point is, as long as you have a profile picture, when a person searches for you in a public search, your profile picture will show up.  Only way to circumvent it is to remove the picture as far as I know.  If you know of a way in which I can stop my picture appearing in searches, please let me know !

Are you that ugly?

Most people make almost all of their information private on facebook. If there was no picture as well, I could search for someone I know and not be able to find them. I've no problem with my picture showing up, otherwise how will people know which one is me?

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »
I remember someone else mentioning Facebooks facial recognition software and i just read this so thought it was worth throwing in....

I'm not sure if you've heard the news, but Facebook is officially getting super-creepy. Facebook announced Tuesday that it will be implementing facial recognition technology for all users in the next few weeks, semi-automating the photo-tagging process.

Sure, you can "opt-out" of the service, but it's a pretty weak consolation. After all, opting out won't keep Facebook from gathering data and recognizing your face--it'll just keep people from tagging you automatically.

The new facial recognition technology, which was announced in December but only introduced to a small test group, is basically Facebook's way of creating a huge, photo-searchable database of its users. And yes, it's terrifying.

(See Related: Facebook Facial Recognition: Its Quiet Rise and Dangerous Future)
Basically, Facebook is using facial recognition technology to "suggest" tags to users who upload photos. In other words, if I upload six photos of my friend Kaitlin, Facebook may "recognize" her face (thanks to other tagged photos of her on the website) and "suggest" that I tag her in those six photos. This makes the tagging process a little easier for me--after all, aren't I more likely to tag Kaitlin if all I have to do is click a button that says "yes, tag away"? Another "benefit" is that I can tag all of these photos of Kaitlin at once--as Facebook said in a blog post, isn't it a whole lot better to be able to tag all of those photos of Kaitlin at once, instead of having to tag each one individually?

Sure, I guess it's easier. Easier for Facebook to invade my privacy, that is.

Ok, I know I sound a little melodramatic. But let's take a look at some facts here:

- Facebook has 600 million members.

- Each day, Facebook's members upload over 200 million photos, and Facebook currently hosts over 90 billion photos.

- Each time you "tag" a photo on Facebook, its facial recognition technology learns more about what that person looks like.

- Even if you happen to "opt out" of the facial recognition tagging, Facebook's technology can surely use the tagged photos of you (hey, perhaps even the tagged photos of you that you end up un-tagging) to figure out what you look like.

- Right now Facebook is using this technology to help people tag photos. But once they have an accurate facial recognition database of several hundred million people? Hmm.

At the end of the day, Facebook's facial recognition technology is downright creepy. Opting out of the service doesn't mean Facebook will stop trying to recognize your face--it just means that Facebook will stop suggesting that other people tag you. Even Google has noted the utter creepiness of facial recognition technology (though I suspect they're just waiting for Facebook to get burned).

Facial recognition technology will ultimately culminate in the ability to search for people using just a picture. And that will be the end of privacy as we know it--imagine, a world in which someone can simply take a photo of you on the street, in a crowd, or with a telephoto lens, and discover everything about you on the internet.

Obviously, we can't stop the world of technology from moving toward the development of accurate facial recognition software. But so far, no facial recognition software has really been a threat to our privacy, because nobody has that huge database of people and photos required. Oh wait, except Facebook totally does.

Yeah. So not only should you opt out of Facebook's facial recognition technology by going to Account > Account Settings > Privacy > Customize Settings > Things Others Share and disabling "Suggest photos of me to friends," you should also upload random pictures of trees and animals and stuffed toys and tag them as yourself.

It's scary where they're going with all this.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:37 pm »
Are you that ugly?

Most people make almost all of their information private on facebook. If there was no picture as well, I could search for someone I know and not be able to find them. I've no problem with my picture showing up, otherwise how will people know which one is me?

That is precisely why I don't want my picture to appear.  I don't want certain people to add me.  Certain distant family members who have made it a habit of adding me even though I ignore their requests because simply put, I don't have any touch with them and would prefer for things to remain that way for reasons best kept to myself.  Besides, if you want someone to find you irrespective of your picture, just give them your email/facebook id. 

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »
Hope it dies a death soon. Sick and tired of being asked to join facebook by family and friends. Even had one of me sisters accuse me of being a ignorant fucker because i hadn't an account and it comes across like i dont want to keep in touch. Fucking madness! Piss off!

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:38 pm »

Account > Privacy setting > block list

wont be able to see anything

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »
The amount of times i have deactivated my one is silly.

Same as that, but you just get drawn back in everytime.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 04:38:39 pm »

Account > Privacy setting > block list

wont be able to see anything

Again, done that to a few.  It is the search option that annoys me because people can always search for me even though I haven't spoken to these people in years and don't particularly want to either.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
Tried deleting my old account so many times I've lost count. They say its deleted. Next thing I get a message at the side of my new account saying I may be friends with myself. Go to log in with my old email address and it asks whether I want to reactivate my account. How is that possible, afterall they were supposed to have deleted it!?!

I'm sure its against the data protection act or something - I've asked them to remove my account completely yet although they claim they have, its still there.

The reason I deleted it was because everytime they came up with some new privacy rules, they'd reset all my privacy settings to allow any tom dick or harry access to my photos. I had photos of my kids on there so I decided to close it down so everything was removed, then open a new one and only put limited info on there.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 04:42:25 pm »
Again, done that to a few.  It is the search option that annoys me because people can always search for me even though I haven't spoken to these people in years and don't particularly want to either.

Search for users to add to the "Block People' list. You can add any user on Facebook. Once added, that user will not be able to view any part of your profile or find you when doing searches. This is the best way to hide completely from someone.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 04:44:25 pm »

Well I've been through several of their new layouts and rule resets etc but my privacy settings have never been reset

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
Think it's too soon to say the end of Facebook.

Offline Gerrard_8_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »
I think the "end of facebook" is a little dramatic just because growth has slowed. Which is probably because most people have it already anyway.

And that face recognition thing is rubbish, it didn't get any of my friends right the couple of times i've had it come up.

Account > privacy settings > connecting on facebook > view settings > change it all to friends only or friends of friends, then you won't appear in searches and people will only be able to see you if you comment on a mutual friends status, pics, wall etc. You could also change it so only friends of friends can send a friend request, message etc which will stop them adding you unless you have mutual friends.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »
I only use it for taking the piss out of people and posting football videos to my mates. Some people decide to use it to reveal every aspect of their shit little lives.

"Just off to gregs". Fuck off you boring twat, hope you get food poisoning.

Probably explains why I only have a small amount of friends compared to some.