Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 355997 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2480 on: February 25, 2018, 08:41:03 am »
Eh, so is Sky Sports owned by Rupert Murdoch but still people watch, it is just a video.

Are you fucking high?  :o
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2481 on: February 25, 2018, 04:06:36 pm »
Eh, so is Sky Sports owned by Rupert Murdoch but still people watch, it is just a video.

Are you taking the piss lad?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2482 on: February 25, 2018, 04:11:29 pm »

Your posted video is gone. So are you.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2483 on: February 25, 2018, 07:16:22 pm »
:thumbup

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2484 on: February 25, 2018, 08:21:19 pm »
Mind-boggling stupidity
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2485 on: February 25, 2018, 08:33:41 pm »
Mind-boggling stupidity

Twice.  First to post it, then to even consider arguing about it.  Must be a wool.  ;D

As for Sammy Lee, he has a long standing relationship with Fat Sam.  Plus he's won more as a player for Liverpool than Everton have as a club since Sammy last kicked a ball for us.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2486 on: February 25, 2018, 08:37:57 pm »

Drifted off back to obscurity. One of the worst and most unaware comebacks ever posted on here.
Mind-boggling stupidity
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2487 on: August 25, 2018, 10:55:37 pm »
Don't know if any of you watched Live Premier League Tonight but I thought it was really interesting and sad at the same time listening to Owen talk in detail how he snapped his hamstring and was literally playing with two hamstring muscles in one leg and three in his other leg for pretty much his whole career. He talked about how he was petrified to run the channels in fear of tearing his hamstring again and would deliberately play in other areas of the pitch. He said he knew if Macca had the ball he'd be expecting him to run in behind but he just couldn't do it.

Owen, also talks about the time he wanted to rejoin us from Madrid for £10m (everything was agreed with Benitez) but Newcastle came in with a £16m bid and we weren't prepared to match them having sold him for £8m the previous year. When he joined Newcastle he had it in his contract that he could join us every year for an agreed price but it never happened. He even spoke to Carra and Rodgers but we had Suarez at the time.

Watch from 11 minutes to about 27 minutes

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w8sbobQylWI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w8sbobQylWI</a>

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: August 25, 2018, 11:56:33 pm »
The Leeds injury was in 1999. To be honest I don't remember him being any less of a player post injury. Look at the way he smashes past the arsenal defence in the cup final in what was his most influential year as a footballer.

We probably over played him early on though and Houllier relied massively on him. He was an excellent goalscorer, one of our greatest, but in hindsight was very one dimensional though. We've had better strikers than him shortly before (fowler) and after(torres) although both of course had issues with injuries taking pace away from them. Did his injuries stop him from developing into a more rounded forward or did they just highlight his reliance on pace? I dunno to be honest
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2489 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11:52 am »
Tosser.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2490 on: August 26, 2018, 10:55:15 am »
The Leeds injury was in 1999. To be honest I don't remember him being any less of a player post injury. Look at the way he smashes past the arsenal defence in the cup final in what was his most influential year as a footballer.

Seen in isolation 2001 was his best year, but I think it was already noticeable by then that he had lost some of his pace, as in he was quick but no longer lightning quick.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #2491 on: August 26, 2018, 11:21:41 am »

We probably over played him early on though and Houllier relied massively on him. He was an excellent goalscorer, one of our greatest, but in hindsight was very one dimensional though. We've had better strikers than him shortly before (fowler) and after(torres) although both of course had issues with injuries taking pace away from them. Did his injuries stop him from developing into a more rounded forward or did they just highlight his reliance on pace? I dunno to be honest
I think we definitely over played him, but he was so electrifying and almost guaranteed us goals, and I certainly wasn't complaining at the time, but in hindsight, we could have handled him better. I think he was as one dimensional as strikers get, and if my memory is correct, that's probably why Madrid only played him at certain times.

It was an exciting time when he broke on to the scene, remember coming home from footy one day and my mam saying "that Owen's scored again", I genuinely hadn't seen him play yet. I slowly started building some childish resentment towards him a few years later because he was keeping Robbie out the side, I loved Robbie to bits and I thought he was the better player, certainly a more rounded striker but lacking the pace Owen had.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2492 on: August 26, 2018, 11:24:46 am »
Don't know if any of you watched Live Premier League Tonight but I thought it was really interesting and sad at the same time listening to Owen talk in detail how he snapped his hamstring and was literally playing with two hamstring muscles in one leg and three in his other leg for pretty much his whole career. He talked about how he was petrified to run the channels in fear of tearing his hamstring again and would deliberately play in other areas of the pitch. He said he knew if Macca had the ball he'd be expecting him to run in behind but he just couldn't do it.

That sounds pretty horrific, but he was still a very good footballer regardless of the injury. Must have been a relief to retire and not need to rely on his hamstrings as much anymore.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2493 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:00 am »
Interesting to hear him talk about the psychological toll that the injuries took on him, particularly how long he says he spent basically counting down to retirement as he couldn't play the way he wanted to.

Think it's a bit arrogant that he thought he could bugger off to Madrid for a year or two and then come back to Liverpool when he fancied it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: August 26, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »
Interesting to hear him talk about the psychological toll that the injuries took on him, particularly how long he says he spent basically counting down to retirement as he couldn't play the way he wanted to.

Think it's a bit arrogant that he thought he could bugger off to Madrid for a year or two and then come back to Liverpool when he fancied it.

Yeah, I did feel sorry for him when he was talking about his injuries, he was great for us even with his injuries up until the tie he left. I don't even care that much about him going to Man Utd - his career was on the way down and he had shown before he didn't care too much about the club, which is fair enough.

It does seem like he still doesn't get why not signing a contract and buggering off to Real Madrid thinking I'll come back in a year or two isn't okay. Great player and could have been a legend but it's his own fault no one at any club doesn't remember him too fondly.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2495 on: August 26, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »
His comments about not running in behind and adapting his game made me think immediately of Sturridge.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: August 26, 2018, 06:40:06 pm »
His comments about not running in behind and adapting his game made me think immediately of Sturridge.

When I was listening to Owen speak it did make me draw comparison to Sturridge. And by that I mean the way Sturridge no longer runs the channel and the fact that it's quite noticeable that he doesn't run full pelt even if he has lost a yard of pace. The other comparison is the bit where Owen said his father and brothers all sufferered muscle injuries and he thinks it's down to genetics why he's had the same problems. Sturridge's family also had a history of this too.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #2497 on: August 26, 2018, 06:48:15 pm »
With Madrid thing I do wonder if he thought he could get away with what Rush essentially did when we got him back after a year at Juventus. It's sad about the injuries of course, talent wise he had the ability to be what Aguero has been to City for the last 6 years and to be honest he was that for a period of time. I think the insight if anything is interesting in that it allows somewhat of a gateway in to Sturridge; although at the same time such has been the evolution of treatment you're not going to see him running on an odd number of muscles like Owen was.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2498 on: August 26, 2018, 06:50:43 pm »
Yeah, I did feel sorry for him when he was talking about his injuries, he was great for us even with his injuries up until the tie he left. I don't even care that much about him going to Man Utd - his career was on the way down and he had shown before he didn't care too much about the club, which is fair enough.

It does seem like he still doesn't get why not signing a contract and buggering off to Real Madrid thinking I'll come back in a year or two isn't okay. Great player and could have been a legend but it's his own fault no one at any club doesn't remember him too fondly.
Even if he'd lined it up with us before he left, its a pretty big oversight to fail to consider what would happen if somebody outbid us

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #2499 on: August 26, 2018, 07:25:27 pm »
Do what I do - look at him as two persons; the one who played for the red shirt and was freaking awesome - and the second the one who left for Madrid and whatever that followed. I pay little heed to what he says on the telly, shook my head when he played for the Mancs; but when it comes to talking about him getting winners in the red shirt, I get excited for one of my (former) favourite players.

The hate doesn't erase what he's done in the red shirt.
Exactly this.

Same for Souey. Legend as player, utter twat for the *** interview. Owen was magnificently great when he was here - utter c*nt for the way he left and subsequently went on.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: August 26, 2018, 08:34:51 pm »
Joining Man Utd simply killed most good will towards him. That’s a crap decision he will have to live with forever.

But personally as the years go by I do remember the great things he did in a Liverpool shirt more and more.

But then I visualise him with that Man Utd shirt on and it tarnishes everything in a way like no other Liverpool player that left us. He will forever be a massive turncoat.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: August 26, 2018, 08:37:21 pm »
When I watched that there was probably 50% of me feeling sorry for him and feeling quite sad....and you can see in him there’s still a bit of a young lad just sad he didn’t quite make full use of his ability but then he’s CONSTANTLY coming out with stupid shit to make you think ‘meh oh well’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
« Reply #2502 on: August 26, 2018, 09:02:59 pm »
If he really wanted to return, he would have returned (after we made the bid) he could have told Madrid it was Liverpool or no where... but he didn't

After all, he had no problem screwing us over for the transfer fee we received for him.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2503 on: August 26, 2018, 09:44:26 pm »
When I watched that there was probably 50% of me feeling sorry for him and feeling quite sad....and you can see in him there’s still a bit of a young lad just sad he didn’t quite make full use of his ability but then he’s CONSTANTLY coming out with stupid shit to make you think ‘meh oh well’

That's my thought too
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2504 on: August 26, 2018, 10:21:52 pm »
If he really wanted to return, he would have returned (after we made the bid) he could have told Madrid it was Liverpool or no where... but he didn't

After all, he had no problem screwing us over for the transfer fee we received for him.

How did he screw us over for the transfer fee we received for him?

And surely McManaman screwed us over by running down his contract to leave for Madrid?

We have had a series of players who have left under a variety of clouds, going back to Kevin Keegan, but I don't get the hate, just because at the end of his career he played for United.

Not that he played that often.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2505 on: August 26, 2018, 11:15:50 pm »
What's hilarious is that he claims he spoke to Brendan Rodgers through Jamie Carragher about returning, but Torres was still here  :o

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2506 on: August 26, 2018, 11:21:42 pm »
Owen said he was closer to signing a contract with us than he'd ever been in August 04.  https://bbc.in/2MxgKQv

Less than a fortnight later, he's paraded at Madrid saying that he'd been speaking to them for a fortnight.

What changed in 9 months? https://bbc.in/2ocsmJS

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
« Reply #2507 on: August 27, 2018, 12:18:36 am »

And surely McManaman screwed us over by running down his contract to leave for Madrid?

We have had a series of players who have left under a variety of clouds, going back to Kevin Keegan, but I don't get the hate, just because at the end of his career he played for United.

Owen strung us along and left us with a choice of taking £8.5m or getting nothing for him...

Yes,  McManaman the same it screwed the club over when he rejected the move to Barca ... I think it was £14m? We lost out on, that was a lot of money  at that time.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2508 on: August 27, 2018, 11:01:24 am »
What's hilarious is that he claims he spoke to Brendan Rodgers through Jamie Carragher about returning, but Torres was still here  :o
think he was listing strikers who were at the club at times he was linked with a return

think he meant torres was here in 2009 and suarez in 2012
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: August 27, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »
Amazed at the amount of people who are fawning over this 'open and honest' interview. He has blamed Liverpool for ruining his career in the past and blames us for overplaying him:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-owen/owen-blames-liverpool-mismanagement-for-injury-problems-idUKBRE8B61BA20121207

Whats changed his mind in six years? Is it the fact he has retired and has realised that none of his former clubs actually give a fuck about him, so he's trying to claw his way back into the hearts of us? I think so.

I genuinely do believe he regrets leaving and that he did genuinely want to come back but the sheer arrogance of him to tell us that he would be back in a year or two shows him for what he is; a self centred gobshite. What did he want us to do, not replace him for a couple of years so there was still room for him? He's also shown a great disrespect to Newcastle with those comments and having the audacity to get a clause like that in his contract.

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2510 on: August 27, 2018, 12:09:49 pm »
my scouse what is the forgiven forgotten attitudes that seeping like Joan Collin fanny on this pages WRITE SABU PUNDIT? You got a amnesiac of the head? This Mickey Ewing is still sporting a satin lining on the exterior of the midget body because he is a turned coat yellow brick roader of first order. How you contempt plate? He mealy mouthed Libpole with "my pen is runned out Quink just goin' down WH SMith for some and then signature" and then "oh look I shagging Royale McDrid now". 

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2511 on: August 27, 2018, 12:22:01 pm »

McManaman at least said outright he wouldn't be signing a new contract.  Owen was claiming right up until the last minute he was going to sign.

I've not watched the video, but if Owen was that desperate to retire why did he send out that ridiculous brochure begging clubs to take him on?  Why not retire after Newcastle?  True, not many players want to retire off the back of a relegation, but it's not like he was short of a few bob.  And he could have retired from International football to prolong his club playing career. 

Nobody forced him to join the mancs, that's for sure.  He's daft if he doesn't realise 50% of the reason Ferguson signed him was to piss us off.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2512 on: August 27, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »

Owen strung us along and left us with a choice of taking £8.5m or getting nothing for him...

Yes,  McManaman the same it screwed the club over when he rejected the move to Barca ... I think it was £14m? We lost out on, that was a lot of money  at that time.

Looking back, I think Rafa should have gambled on losing Owen on a free and kept him that last season.

I forgot Macca turned down a (big) money move as well.  But at least he laid his cards on the table from the start.  Bit like Keegan did.

Popcorn's Art

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2513 on: August 27, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »
Looking back, I think Rafa should have gambled on losing Owen on a free and kept him that last season.

I forgot Macca turned down a (big) money move as well.  But at least he laid his cards on the table from the start.  Bit like Keegan did.
might not have brought in garcia and alonso if we kept Owen

we wouldnt have won the champions league without them two

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2514 on: August 27, 2018, 12:31:23 pm »
might not have brought in garcia and alonso if we kept Owen

we wouldnt have won the champions league without them two

I dunno.  Don't think getting them was contingent on the money we got for Owen.  But who knows eh?  I'm glad we won it without him, snide little git.

Popcorn's Art

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: August 27, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »
I dunno.  Don't think getting them was contingent on the money we got for Owen.  But who knows eh?  I'm glad we won it without him, snide little git.
im pretty sure Rick Parry said that at the time but it would be hard to dig up stuff from 2004

to be honest im glad we just won it, with or without Owen

edit: that was a bit easier than i thought

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2005/1002/196891-liverpool/

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:35:07 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2516 on: August 27, 2018, 01:41:02 pm »
Think he's got some memory problems, he kept talking about getting the ball from Macca in 2001.....

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: August 27, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
im pretty sure Rick Parry said that at the time but it would be hard to dig up stuff from 2004

to be honest im glad we just won it, with or without Owen

edit: that was a bit easier than i thought

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2005/1002/196891-liverpool/

I was thinking more about when he left.  We got Cisse for £14m; given Houllier signed him right before being sacked there's a chance if Owen had stayed Cisse wouldn't have been bought - and we could still have had Garcia and Alonso as they were Rafa signings.

Popcorn's Art

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2518 on: August 27, 2018, 03:05:08 pm »
It's a very sad interview that, it's up to each fan of course but personally I moved on from any lingering hatred of him some time back. It's just sad how his medical care was done, iirc in a previous interview he said the club physio was on holiday after that injury, there was no care, no rehab plan, nothing.

He was easily up there with Ronaldo before the Leeds injury, and you sense a little bit of closure would be nice for him, if he ever turns up at Anfield again hope he gets treated ok, finds a bit of peace.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2519 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:41 pm »
It's a very sad interview that, it's up to each fan of course but personally I moved on from any lingering hatred of him some time back. It's just sad how his medical care was done, iirc in a previous interview he said the club physio was on holiday after that injury, there was no care, no rehab plan, nothing.

He was easily up there with Ronaldo before the Leeds injury, and you sense a little bit of closure would be nice for him, if he ever turns up at Anfield again hope he gets treated ok, finds a bit of peace.

Yeah, I don't have any hate for the guy myself.