Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3454590 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #39560 on: February 3, 2020, 06:15:25 pm »
I wonder who provoked Klopp into not losing a two legged European tie since he has been here. Klopp is not a coach who goes away from home looking to get a point. He does everything in his power to win every game in the League and Champions league. Most coaches would be quite happy to reach a couple of European finals. Klopp used losing those finals as fuel to create our monster mentality.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #39561 on: February 3, 2020, 06:15:59 pm »
I’m sorry but
Are you really? I doubt it, but anyway...

this is wilfully ignoring the points we are making and it’s quite tedious if I’m honest.
What exactly is it willfully ignoring?

Klopp’s excellence is there for all to see. He is a wonderful coach. I regard him as the best in the world and one of the most influential of the last 30 years.
And yet you think he is incapable of amassing 97 and 100+ points without being pushed by Guardiola? You keep on supporting, there!

I just also happen to think that Guardiola’s arrival in England has changed the objectives for winning the league - you now pretty much need ten more points than you did previously. Saying this is not a slight on Klopp - it’s actually celebrating the fact that he has managed to achieve it on two occasions. Maybe Klopp would have done this anyway, what he’s currently doing is completely unprecedented so there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t, but it remains a hypothetical while Guardiola is here because we know that 97 points didn’t win it last season and we still currently need 91 points to win it this year.
Though it's you who has credited Pep for it...

. There is something quite grim about people not accepting any praise for Guardiola though, like I can’t admire the work of both managers because I’m a Liverpool supporter? Or I can’t say Pep and Klopp have elevated each other? Behave! I’m just speaking objectively, there’s no need to misrepresent that.
Nobody is not accepting Guardiola's quality and talent; this is a point about Klopp. Could he, or could he not, and would he, or would he not, achieve the levels he has without being pushed into doing so by another manager. If you think he can, as you seem now to be saying, why are you in such a hurry to give the credit to someone else?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39562 on: February 3, 2020, 06:17:14 pm »
It’s also perplexing how City and other clubs fans are missing the most obvious thing when talking about why exactly have we steamrolled everyone this season. One word - Kiev.

Want to understand how Liverpool propelled themselves into a relentless point collecting machine? We got our hearts properly broken and used it as fuel. What’s that? Where’s the evidence? Kiev. That’s where it all started. Both off and on the pitch, our resolve, ruthlessnes and grit went to another level after Kiev. We knew we can go high and we also knew how bloody perfect we need to be.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #39563 on: February 3, 2020, 06:20:12 pm »
WTF would you pay a bot?
Bot coin? ;D
Seriously though, you can pay for bot farms to propagate your ideas. The Tories and their mates in the UKIP groupings spent a fortune on bots and bot farms in the run up to the elections. Most of the UKIP social media presence was composed of fake tweets and Facebook posts.
It would not surprise me if AD don’t actually own the odd bot farm or two, given the propaganda war in the Middle East.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #39564 on: February 3, 2020, 06:22:52 pm »
The fact that last season they had no humility whatsoever makes this season all the sweeter.

Do not forget the City players singing anti-Liverpool songs on their private jet, making light of 'scousers battered in the streets' or whatever shite that song was about.

Kyle Walker with his arrogant 'they thought they were gonna go 7 points clear' tweet.

You can 100% guarantee that that sort of arrogant gloating behaviour just wouldn't happen in our squad. Can you imagine Mane, Henderson, Trent, Bobby etc singing pathetic songs mocking Man City? Don't think so.

Could you see one of our players tweeting some childish thing about 22 points? No.

This is pure karma for City, their players, fans and manager.
I've lived long enough and I've seen enough over the years to know that you mess with karma at your peril. Eventually, you really do get back what you give.

This shower of arrogant, classless shite without a shred of dignity and humility are now starting to reap what they've sown.

As far as the behaviour of their team and staff are concerned, Klopp, his players and his staff are far too professional to act like Abu Dhabi did last season. They were a shambolic disgrace, and the most classless, graceless 'champions' this country has had the misfortune to see.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #39565 on: February 3, 2020, 06:23:13 pm »
This thread has gone a bit bonkers  ;D

Pretty sure most people know Guardiola is a really excellent coach. A lot of what gets said is to rip the shit out of him - a lot of that he brings upon himself to be honest. Doesn't mean the realisaton isn't there that he is great at what he does.  People don't really need the fact shoved down their throat by people desperate to appear objective. Most can differentiate between piss taking and seriousness.

What can be said though, is he doesn't really react well to pressure. He didn't in Spain, and he hasn't here. That doesn't diminish his talents at coaching. Yes he did great last year being pushed all the way by Liverpool, but I think his response to it all raises a few questions. Unlike Liverpool, City are not mentality monsters. And that sort of attitude trickles down from the coach.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39566 on: February 3, 2020, 06:27:18 pm »
Maybe it was united that had the deal with the devil and they asked for us to go longer without winning the league than their 26 years, that deal has now run out and normal service is being resumed including them going another 26 years before their next one.   ;D

Didnt they go 52 years without a title in their history before?

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #39567 on: February 3, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »
I'll never understand their recruitment this past summer. I put very little weight into the argument regarding Laporte's injury, mainly because it was down to poor recruitment rather than luck in the injury department. Most people would have looked at their squad at the end of last season after Kompany left and recognized that he needed replacing. Instead, they spent close to £100m on Cancelo, who they have barely used and wasn't really a need, and Rodrigo, who they could have waited until this summer to purchase.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #39568 on: February 3, 2020, 06:37:37 pm »
The Times is talking about City buying two new centre backs in the summer, how much have they already spent on that position?  :o  Also, an attacking playing should Sane leave in the summer.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #39569 on: February 3, 2020, 06:41:44 pm »
It’s also perplexing how City and other clubs fans are missing the most obvious thing when talking about why exactly have we steamrolled everyone this season. One word - Kiev.

Want to understand how Liverpool propelled themselves into a relentless point collecting machine? We got our hearts properly broken and used it as fuel. What’s that? Where’s the evidence? Kiev. That’s where it all started. Both off and on the pitch, our resolve, ruthlessnes and grit went to another level after Kiev. We knew we can go high and we also knew how bloody perfect we need to be.

Someone posted the highlights of Liverpool v Ipswich 1972 in another thread. Those of us around then will remember the heartache of losing the cup final to a double winning Arsenal, and that forged a stronger team belief. That 72 season we went on a phenomenal run onwards the end of the season and missed out on the league by a whisker, coming up fast on the rails. (Watch the clip and listen to the stats at the end) We were let down by some dubious refereeing at our last two games, both away. Pat Partridge disallowed a goal which would have won it for us away at Arsenal in the final game, calling a Toshack goal offside, (which IIRC the linesman didn’t flag?). Instead of bleating on about it, the team rolled up its sleeves and crushed the league the next year, winning the UEFA cup as well. The fans knew we were on a roll and the team was young enough, yet with a steel core of experience to start domination. Cally, Lawler and Smith were the old heads of Shanks’ first great side. Heighway Keegan Hughes and Clemence were world class youngsters with many years ahead of them.
I strongly recommend anyone under 50 watches that footage. Heighway repeatedly making England full back Mick Mills look like a traffic cone. Keegan battling grocks of centre-halves, refusing to be bullied, Hughes and Smith steaming in to let the grocks know we were a team who didn’t want to lose.  Counter pressing and harrying and lightning counters. The shirts are red and the style is reminiscent of what we are seeing today.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #39570 on: February 3, 2020, 06:42:35 pm »
The Times is talking about City buying two new centre backs in the summer, how much have they already spent on that position?  :o  Also, an attacking playing should Sane leave in the summer.
Mina will be on Pep’s Radar.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39571 on: February 3, 2020, 06:50:50 pm »
wish these pricks ended outside of Top 4 but that's probably asking too much at this point.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #39572 on: February 3, 2020, 07:00:07 pm »
They can't spend a fortune because they're under FFP scrutiny. There is a ruling at the end of the season by UEFA.  Unless they just flout the laws again. Selling Sane will raise money they can offset for two CBs if that's what they're going to do.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39573 on: February 3, 2020, 07:05:06 pm »
Something Klopp has proven beyond all doubt with this Liverpool machine he has built, is that at the elite level psychology is everything. Ferguson understood this better than almost anyone, that's how that Manc team kept winning after Ronaldo left even though it was technically substandard. On paper there isn't much between City and us, but between the ears we are on a different planet.

Long may it continue.
The right psychology is absolutely crucial, particularly when the margins between success and failure are wafer thin. The right mindset can get you through against really high odds. I learned this in a most harrowing way actually. Through reading books by Primo Levi and Viktor Frankl. Both survived Auschwitz. Frankl noticed that of those who escaped the selection process, those who survived tended to stay positive and focused on what they would do once they got out. Those who mentally gave up seemed to succumb to sickness and death soon afterwards. It seemed that even against unimaginable odds and in the face of unbearable horror, mindset still made a difference.

Now I realise that the scenario there is far removed from 22 millionaires kicking a bag of wind around a field, but the importance of mentality is the same regardless. Facts are, in every challenge in life, big or small, mentality can make a big difference to the eventual outcome.

From what I can see, Klopp has instilled the correct mentality into our entire club. On the other hand, the psychology over at the Emptyhad seems all wrong. Far too much entitlement. Far too much blame on externals when things go wrong. When you behave like that, you take your eye off the task at hand. It's so clear that their manager has been badly rattled by Liverpool, and that's transmitted itself through to the players and fanbase too. It's all paranoia and conspiracy theories, but the reality is they've lost focus. Their mentality is all wrong and, as good as he is, I blame Guardiola for that. He's the rudder that steers the ship. He's the captain of that ship. Problem is, he's lost his marbles, and his team have followed suit. The fanbase, with their already fragile mentality, have basically lost all sense of reality and most are in need of a straight jacket and a padded cell these days.

In the physical sense, as in points on the board, we ran them ragged last season. They were utterly shattered and lucky to get over the line, but on a psychological level we beat them hands down. We broke them. How they dealt with that in a psychological way would be crucial to how this season panned out. They handled it so poorly, and as soon as they realised they were in a major fight again this season they lost their heads.

This is the problem with success that's handed to you on a plate. It's like having the answer to a sum but not knowing how to do the working out. You've not gone through the learning process, so you are not as clever as you think you are. When pressured, if you don't know how to do the working out, you won't get the next sum right. We learned to work things out via losing finals to Sevilla and Madrid and also the title to that lot. We kept our heads and remained focused. Its that mentality that's been drilled into everyone at the club that sees us where we are today.

The right mentality is everything. You can have the best players in the world in each position, but if the mentality is all wrong, you are going to suffer.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39574 on: February 3, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »
Real Madrid will dump them out and their season in the competitions that matter will be over by March
« Last Edit: February 3, 2020, 07:31:36 pm by kloppagetime »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #39575 on: February 3, 2020, 07:17:52 pm »
It would be interesting if next season City will be capable of presenting the same type of challenge as last season. Now they had a few injuries, they lack in some departments (hard to believe considering the resources at their disposal), but the pressure from our excellent start was too immense for them. As Dim Glas said, Pep doesn't react too well to pressure. But next season they will have to rebuild, which may be too much of a change for them. City has quality and will buy quality, and Pep is a good coach indeed. But a bit of an uncertain start for them can see us running away from them again. And if he doesn't win the League next season, he may be off. Talk about pressure...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39576 on: February 3, 2020, 07:23:13 pm »
Looking forward to Pep spending money if he's still there. His buys have been shite and he has relied on Aguero, Kompany etc. i.e the old guard.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #39577 on: February 3, 2020, 07:26:17 pm »
It would be interesting if next season City will be capable of presenting the same type of challenge as last season. Now they had a few injuries, they lack in some departments (hard to believe considering the resources at their disposal), but the pressure from our excellent start was too immense for them. As Dim Glas said, Pep doesn't react too well to pressure. But next season they will have to rebuild, which may be too much of a change for them. City has quality and will buy quality, and Pep is a good coach indeed. But a bit of an uncertain start for them can see us running away from them again. And if he doesn't win the League next season, he may be off. Talk about pressure...

But losing by 20 over points is unprecedented by Pep.  He was winning with Bayern way before the season ended. In Barcelona, even when he didn't win the league he was a close second.

This is humiliation for him after spanking 120m on Rodri and Cancelo to consolidate his position this season.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #39578 on: February 3, 2020, 07:30:28 pm »
What a vile franchise, full of vile players, supported by mainly vile fans. I cant see many of their mercenaries, knowing deep down that what they have accomplished will ever be recognised.

Their wage slips will compensate, both of them per week, but is it worth it? Aguero and Silva will not be remembered alongside the greats when they have retired.

Beating these cheats to a league will be an outstanding achievement.
You’re risking being as silly as them.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39579 on: February 3, 2020, 07:33:14 pm »
Bot coin? ;D
Seriously though, you can pay for bot farms to propagate your ideas. The Tories and their mates in the UKIP groupings spent a fortune on bots and bot farms in the run up to the elections. Most of the UKIP social media presence was composed of fake tweets and Facebook posts.
It would not surprise me if AD don’t actually own the odd bot farm or two, given the propaganda war in the Middle East.
Dim Glas a few months ago posted a article link on here about a Scottish media think-tank that said Man City's high social media likes/followers are fake with a systematic use of bots.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39580 on: February 3, 2020, 07:33:28 pm »
But losing by 20 over points is unprecedented by Pep.  He was winning with Bayern way before the season ended. In Barcelona, even when he didn't win the league he was a close second.

This is humiliation for him after spanking 120m on Rodri and Cancelo to consolidate his position this season.

Not forgetting the huge progression of his £500m asset in Foden!!!
« Last Edit: February 3, 2020, 07:40:18 pm by DangerScouse »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39581 on: February 3, 2020, 07:34:34 pm »
Every team aims for 114 points at the start of the season. Klopp and Liverpool aren't aiming for more points because of City.

One game at a time, as Klopp says.

Hodgson teams don’t.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #39582 on: February 3, 2020, 07:36:13 pm »
To be fair, I completely agree with you. It felt as though last season took an awful lot out of City and the perception seemed to be that us breaking 90 points was a one-off. I think once they’ve realised we’re not only not going anywhere but have somehow managed to improve, it was bad news for them.

I think us going to our second CL Final AND breaking the 90 points did for them. Our grit and determination to wipe out the defeat in Kiev showed them that we would be equally relentless in the League this season.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39583 on: February 3, 2020, 07:38:18 pm »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #39584 on: February 3, 2020, 07:46:07 pm »

Yep. That's also where the need for Fabinho or that type and caliber of player in midfield was really born or became obvious at least. Someone to boss world-class midfields and complete our own midfield.

I wrote about it that Summer and with his arrival, I predicted a move away from counter-attacking, gegenpressing football to a more controlled and possession-based football and it turned out that way. It became clear to me during and after that final that this was unsustainable. That we needed control and possession and a way to grind out wins because we will always face a Madrid type in any final.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2020, 07:49:44 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39585 on: February 3, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
I've lived long enough and I've seen enough over the years to know that you mess with karma at your peril. Eventually, you really do get back what you give.

This shower of arrogant, classless shite without a shred of dignity and humility are now starting to reap what they've sown.

As far as the behaviour of their team and staff are concerned, Klopp, his players and his staff are far too professional to act like Abu Dhabi did last season. They were a shambolic disgrace, and the most classless, graceless 'champions' this country has had the misfortune to see.

I saw first hand who pathetic they are when my youngest was at Citys academy. He trained at the Campus, in the main building, on the first teams indoor pitch. All around the rest of the complex are full sized pitches the youth teams train and play on. In May 2018 they names a pitch after Yaya Toure

A month later, Toure was in the papers criticising Cardiola and Citys response was to cover up the mural with a large piece of cloth, remove the name plate and then rename the pitch.

Fucking class.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #39586 on: February 3, 2020, 07:52:15 pm »

True. But Bayern always wins and Barca too to an extent, unless it's Madrid. Exceptions to those are extremely rare. After Rafa's Valencia 16 years ago, only Atleti broke the Barca/Madrid domination once. Since Klopp's Dortmund, no team has beaten Bayern to the title. The Premier League was already different in that aspect before Pep came to City - they were a force before but shared the power with Chelsea and United (Leicester was a fluke, I reckon).

I think that the large point gap between us doesn't tell the full story. Pep's players lost hope way back in December. They have the capacity of mounting a challenge, but have no mentality to do so. We totally crushed them. That's why I think that we won the title right after the Club World Cup game when we beat Leicester. Surely Pep thought that too, and that transferred to his players. The point gap is immaterial at that point. They will finish 2nd be it by 30 or 5 points; why does that make a difference? At some interview back then, I recall that he said that his goal was to get 2nd place off Leicester, and that was indeed his mentality. Hence, no mentality monsters in his team.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #39587 on: February 3, 2020, 07:55:25 pm »
True. But Bayern always wins and Barca too to an extent, unless it's Madrid. Exceptions to those are extremely rare. After Rafa's Valencia 16 years ago, only Atleti broke the Barca/Madrid domination once. Since Klopp's Dortmund, no team has beaten Bayern to the title. The Premier League was already different in that aspect before Pep came to City - they were a force before but shared the power with Chelsea and United (Leicester was a fluke, I reckon).

I think that the large point gap between us doesn't tell the full story. Pep's players lost hope way back in December. They have the capacity of mounting a challenge, but have no mentality to do so. We totally crushed them. That's why I think that we won the title right after the Club World Cup game when we beat Leicester. Surely Pep thought that too, and that transferred to his players. The point gap is immaterial at that point. They will finish 2nd be it by 30 or 5 points; why does that make a difference? At some interview back then, I recall that he said that his goal was to get 2nd place off Leicester, and that was indeed his mentality. Hence, no mentality monsters in his team.
Yep. Contrast that with Klopp's mentality- to win each and every game. Not to end up in a specific position.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39588 on: February 3, 2020, 07:58:26 pm »
In a right battle for 2nd too, Leicester are only 2pts behind them and play them soon.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #39589 on: February 3, 2020, 08:01:34 pm »
A lot has gone wrong for City this season.

Poor recruitment after losing Kompany, injuries to Laporte and Sane, some weird body language from Pep, form of players like Bernardo Silva / Sterling have fallen off a cliff plus the desire to match what they have done for 2 seasons simply isn't there.

I think we pushed them to the limit last season and you can only offer congrats when they win 14 in a row.

I genuinely believe that they thought that would stroll to title as no way we could match what we did last season again.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39590 on: February 3, 2020, 08:04:25 pm »
Every team aims for 114 points at the start of the season. Klopp and Liverpool aren't aiming for more points because of City.

One game at a time, as Klopp says.

Ridiculous. No team starts the season with the aim of going unbeaten. To be the best you can be, probably. Winning the title certainly. But going unbeaten is a vanity project. Even Arsenal only stumbled into it by accident.

You may as well claim every snooker player sets out to score 147 in each frame.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39591 on: February 3, 2020, 08:28:42 pm »
Bot coin? ;D
I'd like to get a bot farm spreading the message that rhino horn and pangolin scales give you the droop. Think it would be more effective than anti-poaching measures at saving those species.
Anyway, sorry -  nothing to do with Manchester City. Well, apart from giving you the droop.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #39592 on: February 3, 2020, 09:06:22 pm »

Don't think so.

If you lose by 30, your spirit is crushed as opposed to 5 points, which you may find some ways to be philosophical about it. Have you not seen players walking off the court with a 6-0 6-0 score?

It is not as if City has a bad squad but they have been totally run to the ground by Pep last season chasing 4 trophys. Sterling isn't even in the top 10 for assist despite having a strike force so potent.

That said, they might still win 2 this year.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39593 on: February 3, 2020, 09:07:36 pm »
I would suggest - as an attempt to mediate the crossed wires here ;) - that whilst Klopp has clearly proven he can coach a team to potentially hit a hundred points and go unbeaten, I think if he were given the choice he would much prefer not to.

The reason for my opinion is simple: Klopp knows his players are human, and these are insane levels of performance to ask of people.  That said, they clearly all have the bit between their teeth and are looking to make history now.  They didn't start the season with this intention - "one game at a time and see where we are at the end of the season" is nowhere near "let's go unbeaten the whole season".

Our lads are looking at these records and milestones for motivation, and also to better the Liverpool they were last year.  It is really up to them if they choose to carry on at this level next season, but that is not a question that can be answered now.  They certainly have the mentality to go for it though, but again they'll be looking to beat themselves, not City.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39594 on: February 3, 2020, 09:09:10 pm »
John Aldridge:

Manchester City have a phobia of Liverpool and it comes from Pep Guardiola

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-manchester-city-guardiola-phobia-17683573

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39595 on: February 3, 2020, 09:10:55 pm »
I don't think we've ever seen such a thin-skinned manager as Guardiola. Not at this level anyway.

He doesn't do banter, he doesn't do "mindgames". He's incapable of taking any form of criticism, bottling up his anger only for it to explode months, sometimes even years later.

One thing is for sure, he would never have made it at Liverpool. Imagine his face when he's handed and average budget of under £10m per window. Instead he throws a strop after his first season, demands that the gets a budget of over £200m to spend on players in one season, ends up spending over £285m and amazingly they end up winning the league. What a true pioneer he is.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #39596 on: February 3, 2020, 09:23:34 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39597 on: February 3, 2020, 09:31:30 pm »
They can't spend a fortune because they're under FFP scrutiny. There is a ruling at the end of the season by UEFA.  Unless they just flout the laws again. Selling Sane will raise money they can offset for two CBs if that's what they're going to do.

will probably shift stones and otamendi too which will free up some space, and silva is meant to be off so that’s quite a bit off the wage bills

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39598 on: February 3, 2020, 09:37:50 pm »
John Aldridge:

Manchester City have a phobia of Liverpool and it comes from Pep Guardiola

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-manchester-city-guardiola-phobia-17683573
Aldridge is right, and I said similar in a post above regarding mentality / psychology.

Guardiola has absolutely lost the plot over our relentless challenge. He is rattled, and its filtered all the way down throughout their club and fanbase. The level of focus needed is immense, but Guardiola's paranoia and tendency to blame external factors rather than himself has seen their focus fall away.

The psychology of the two clubs is very different. The psychology of the whole set-up at the Emptyhad is undermining their own efforts this season. They are more focused on Liverpool than they are their own actions. The constant blaming of outside factors ( VAR, conspiracy etc) is a losers mentality. Witness the endless malaise at Goodison for a classic example of where that mentality gets you.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #39599 on: February 3, 2020, 09:39:32 pm »
My bad, you’re not wilfully ignoring or misrepresenting anything. You’re just disagreeing with me, which is obviously fine. We’re allowed to disagree, however I would take issue with you insinuating I’m any less of a fan or supporter of Klopp just because we differ slightly on this. I’m certainly not in a hurry to give Guardiola the credit, I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now, it’s been spoken of since he arrived in England and was particularly relatable to Klopp given he had already spent two seasons in the same league as Pep in Germany. All I’m saying is Klopp was probably aware of how many points Guardiola’s teams tends to amass, so would have planned accordingly for that, knowing that even a near perfect season like last with 97 points may not be enough. That’s not me turning on the manager or giving the credit to someone else, don’t really understand where the energy is coming from on this one.
I get what you're saying and there's sense to it but, and I don't want to belabour the point, the essence of my response is that we can't prove that Klopp's gargantuan achievements these last two seasons were/are a direct response to Guardiola upping the ante; it's possible, but we can't know because we can't rerun the seasons having abstracted Pep first. So given that we can't demonstrate it, and given what we know about Klopp and his team and the players, I'd rather give the credit to our coach, coaching team and players and err on the side of saying they would have achieved those levels anyway.

Put it another way, Guardiola came into the PL and had an indifferent first season and then his team exploded to reach levels never before seen. Yet no-one is putting that down to him reacting against Klopp or Mourinho or Leicester's title win etc. For better (his coaching ability) or for worse (City's financial doping) the causal factors are adjudged to be City themselves. If we can do that for Pep and City, why not for Klopp and Liverpool?

Anyway, it's all cool. Just a robust discussion.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D