Author Topic: The Clash  (Read 17303 times)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Re: The Clash
« Reply #40 on: April 2, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
The Clash - Long Time Jerk
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfTJQ-GQX48?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yfTJQ-GQX48?version=3&amp;</a>

Offline ldsn

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: April 2, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »
The only band that ever mattered

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #42 on: April 2, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »
The Clash.  As I grew up, my years of teenage angst were played out with them providing the soundtrack.  All those teenage fumbles in the dark, all those young ladies (and sometimes their mothers) are happy memories of a care free youth with Strummer and Jones in the background.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #43 on: April 2, 2012, 10:56:08 pm »
Im going to cause a ( white?) riot here........but London Calling wasnt the Clash's best LP ...it was the 'The Clash'

Discuss.
The eclecticism of London Calling steals it for me, not a bad tune on there and nearly every popular genre given a go over. 

Offline ldsn

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: April 2, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »
Gutted I wasn't born till after, I listen to this band almost everyday and never get bored. Just such versatility in every album it's incredible, no wonder I never get bored.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #45 on: April 2, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »
The best single ever recorded...end of story

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xj27MPZq6Zc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xj27MPZq6Zc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 3, 2012, 12:37:54 am »
A seriously brilliant band. And now I'm trying to remember where the Rude Boy video is, I want to watch it.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #47 on: April 3, 2012, 12:48:48 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GR-nE9K9V3U?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GR-nE9K9V3U?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

& mine Pete
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: April 3, 2012, 04:43:34 am »
Love The Clash, another band inspired by them are Hard-Fi who I'd suggest you all have a listen to, great band.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: April 6, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
Angry, inspirational, brilliant, missed.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #50 on: April 6, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xj27MPZq6Zc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xj27MPZq6Zc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

A classic tune.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #51 on: April 6, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »

Indeed...so much so I went a bought a second copy after a few weeks so I could just get the buzz of buying it again

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 11:25:46 am »
London Calling is today's classic Album on 6 Music

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »
10 years ago this weekend Joe Strummer died.

Much missed.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:01 pm »
Spanish Bombs is one of my favourite all time songs and the albums a classic. Also Joe Strummer is a legend
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »
Fucking awesome band. Still play them almost every day

Personal favourites of mine were Safe European Home, Janie Jones, Career Opportunities, and of course, White Man.

Just a bit too young to see them live, but saw Joe fronting the Pogues, which turned into about 50% Clash songs 50% Pogues. Fucking immense.

Also saw BAD a few times, most notably on the State, which was another unforgettable gig.

Loverly to see Mick on the Hillsborough video!

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »
Great intro to a great documentary.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2oHCA75ZO1s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2oHCA75ZO1s</a>
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0AOPaQ8Afc?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w0AOPaQ8Afc?fs=1</a>

One of the best, of few, uses of The Clash music in a mainstream movie. Perfect really.

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 08:20:34 pm »
Haven't touched a record of theirs in ages but seeing this thread made me put them on. Sucks so bad that I'll never ever get to see them live. Weren't they thinking of a reunion right around the time Joe passed away?

Oh and From Here To Eternity is still my favorite live album ever. Love Joe's adlib part on Capital Radio. "Excuse me sir, I know you're a big disc jockey and..."

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 10:54:02 pm »
RIP Joe Strummer Punk Legend.

You lit a flame in my heart
And it is burning still
And every time I hear you shout
It still gives me a thrill
I can see you up there
With your right leg pumping

Goodbye inspiration
Voice of a generation
Goodbye inspiration
I won't be playing Strummerville again

You wore your heart on your sleeve
With honesty and pride
You gave me hope, made me believe
That what I did was right
You brought out a passion
That had long been missing
Yeah you brought out a passion
That you never stopped giving

Chorus x2

And if music seems mundane
It's cos the companies get their own way
And all the young bands seem to say
Please turn our rebellion into money

So thanks for giving me my creed
I'll try to stay onside
Y'or helping me dare to dream
After all this time
Cos I still see you up there
On a stage and playing
Yeah I still see you up there
I still agree with what your saying

Chorus x2

Clash, Clash, Clash, City Rocker! 

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2012, 12:44:53 am »
Haven't touched a record of theirs in ages but seeing this thread made me put them on. Sucks so bad that I'll never ever get to see them live. Weren't they thinking of a reunion right around the time Joe passed away?

Oh and From Here To Eternity is still my favorite live album ever. Love Joe's adlib part on Capital Radio. "Excuse me sir, I know you're a big disc jockey and..."
Strummer talking about the break up on  The Future Is Unwritten is so, so sad.
Something like " We'd seen other bands do it. We knew what not to do. But we still did it...". The emotion in his voice as he trys to explain it. :(
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »
Anybody going to be buying this:-

http://www.theclash.com/news/gb/2013-05-21/preorder-the-clash-sound-system

Would love it but a bit pricy for me.

Hope the price drops by September.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »
It sometimes seems to me that all I'm ever doing in life is changing my opinion on what is my favourite Clash album (they've all been there, right now it's Sandinista). Love this band.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:23 pm »
I've tried a few times to get into Sandinista but I just can't do it. The first one is their best for me, then London Calling, then Give em enough rope, then Combat Rock

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 04:38:58 pm »
I love Sandinista, I love it's madness, pretty much every musical style on one album.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »
Just after Joe died they opened up a forest in his name on the Isle of Syke (http://www.punknews.org/article/5054/joe-strummers-forest) and it was something that really caught my attention.  I figured a really cool Valentine's present for my then girlfriend would be to buy her one of the trees so that we could then take a holiday up there and visit the forest.  She wasn't a massive Clash fan but she knew I loved them and I figured that a tree that will out live the pair of us is actually a lot better than a load of flowers that would die in a week or chocolates that just get eaten.

I explained my idea to my mate and she replied "A tree?  But how will they deliver it and where will she put it?"  Amazing!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:00 pm »
Sounds like she was stumped.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »
You woodn't believe it.

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »
Bark ing idea.
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:29 pm »
Leaf it out, please.  That was a deeply moving story about a heartfelt gift I wanted to buy for an ex and all you lot can do is oak about it.

So anyway, The Clash.  It's been mentioned before but this is an absolutely amazing song:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgfdUzflEnw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qgfdUzflEnw</a>

I think the rawness of this live version adds to the record version.  I never got to see them but for me the urgency and rawness is exactly what they were about, I guess that's why I love From Here to Eternity.  Actually, I've just read a bit more about that album and it seems that they overdubbed a lot after the shows which screws my argument up quite a lot really!

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:31 am »
Just read all the posts, and watched all the videos. I still miss Strummer. He really was Joe Public.

I got the impression in the early punk days that there was an ugly right wing element about it. The Clash prevented punk from getting on that slippery slope.

I clearly remember the first time I heard that 1st album. Age 15, 1977. My elder brothers were listening to prog rock shit. I brought the first album home, this was my band.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
There's a decent article on The Clash in this month's Q Magazine (September), a good read.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:53 pm »
Ironically downloaded a few of their songs couple of days ago I hadnt listened to in years.

Absolute quality!

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
He's In Love With Rock 'N' Roll Woaahh!

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #74 on: August 1, 2013, 02:03:25 pm »
Can strongly recommend Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros live at acton town hall. Got it on vinyl for record store day last year. Great live atmosphere no duff tracks.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 1, 2013, 02:31:03 pm »
My favourite band of all time, bar none. Unique mix of angst, talent, rage, versatility, class and wit.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #76 on: August 2, 2013, 03:29:46 pm »
My favourite band of all time, bar none. Unique mix of angst, talent, rage, versatility, class and wit.

One of the best.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #77 on: August 2, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »
Just read all the posts, and watched all the videos. I still miss Strummer. He really was Joe Public.

I got the impression in the early punk days that there was an ugly right wing element about it. The Clash prevented punk from getting on that slippery slope.

I clearly remember the first time I heard that 1st album. Age 15, 1977. My elder brothers were listening to prog rock shit. I brought the first album home, this was my band.
I remember it being completely different from that.

There where load's of reggae acts on in Erics and I saw Don Letts in The Roxy djing.Bob did Punky Reggae Party after The Clash did the Junior Murvin Piece Police And Thieves.

Also punk was the musical driving force behind RAR which was started after Claptons racist rant at his gig.The fuckin thief.

I remember Oi had a very rightwing bent and following,but this was later on around 79.I also remember Oi was shit too,apart from the Upstarts who where brilliant live,but I never thought of them as being part of that movement.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #78 on: August 2, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »
I remember it being completely different from that.

There where load's of reggae acts on in Erics and I saw Don Letts in The Roxy djing.Bob did Punky Reggae Party after The Clash did the Junior Murvin Piece Police And Thieves.

Also punk was the musical driving force behind RAR which was started after Claptons racist rant at his gig.The fuckin thief.

I remember Oi had a very rightwing bent and following,but this was later on around 79.I also remember Oi was shit too,apart from the Upstarts who where brilliant live,but I never thought of them as being part of that movement.

The Rejects are sound.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #79 on: August 2, 2013, 10:04:45 pm »
The Rejects are sound.
Yeah The Rejects were boss but the only thing they had in common with Oi was that Bushell took their song as the name for the scene he was pushing through Sounds.

I have a mate whose a WHU fan and he followed the Rejects everywhere and he told me stories of the band and their crew and fans fighting with the BM at gigs.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"