Author Topic: The Clash  (Read 17306 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
Re: The Clash
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »
"Breaking rocks in the hot sun!"
'I fought the law and the LAW WON'!

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »
I can't remember what book I read it in, but I'll never forget the qoute by Mick Jones. I still think it's the best ever about any band breaking up... "I wanted to dance, but Joe wanted to riot."

Brilliant, eh.

And reading the qoutes about Joe passing seeming like yesterday, to be honest, I thought it was longer. But I still miss the lad like it was yesterday.

Joe Strummer a punk legend.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
'I fought the law and the LAW WON'!
I fought the law and we called it a draw.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2015, 10:29:18 am »
I fought the law and we called it a draw.

;D

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #124 on: September 1, 2015, 08:48:11 pm »
I don't think I even own a copy of 'Cut The Crap' because it's so poor.

Very true, but 'This is England' remains somewhat magical, IMHO. Love this thread, BTW!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:02 pm »
13 years ago.

RIP Joe.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:06:46 pm by LanceLink »

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2015, 02:52:47 pm »
RIP

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2015, 03:52:23 pm »
RIP Joe.........gone but never forgotten.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »
Was this anniversary not yesterday....
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:20 pm »
Was this anniversary not yesterday....

It was yesterday.

Offline jimbo1962

• Anny Roader
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
Every other shitty band gets back together and there'll never be a Clash reunion.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 07:22:11 pm »
Joe would of been 65 today.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2017, 10:09:08 am »
15 years dead!  Hard to believe.

Are there any good books on Joe?  I know bits and pieces of his upbringing and it seems utterly fascinating - born in Turkey to a diplomat dad, farmed off to posh boarding school at 9 where he only seen his parents once a year, nazi brother who killed himself, paid to marry a woman when he was 23 so she could get residency (bought is guitar with that money)...  And that's all before the clash.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »
Played my original first Lp yesterday...amazingly its survived pretty well over the past 40 years...listening to it now its still brilliant, however two or three tracks sound a bit limited with their slightly old school ( then) guitar licks...but can be forgiven becouse of everything else...White Riot as electric today...Police and Thieves stunning and Garageland...that guitar intro now sounds so melencholic...and it almost brought me to tears.

Im pretty sure if Joe was with us today they would have got back together...not to play old hits but new relevant music.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:17:05 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2017, 12:19:17 pm »
15 years dead!  Hard to believe.

Are there any good books on Joe?  I know bits and pieces of his upbringing and it seems utterly fascinating - born in Turkey to a diplomat dad, farmed off to posh boarding school at 9 where he only seen his parents once a year, nazi brother who killed himself, paid to marry a woman when he was 23 so she could get residency (bought is guitar with that money)...  And that's all before the clash.

This one is decent...

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2017, 09:26:01 am »
After the game last night, in my drunken state, I put on Sandanista!, headphones on, cheeky spliff, off I went on a magical trip.

What an album that is, yes it's bonkers, but I think it's one of the most underrated albums of all time. It's got the lot.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2017, 10:41:02 pm »
The Clash: 'Clampdown'
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/psB0cidB5bg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/psB0cidB5bg</a>
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
Spanish Bombs is their best song
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2019, 06:31:28 pm »
6 Music tonight, The Clash all the way, loving it.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Vliet of foot - in fact he is fast and bulbous
  • Anny Roader
  • S.O.S.
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2020, 08:31:01 am »
Up the fucking reds.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OgJQ3BbXFVk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OgJQ3BbXFVk</a>

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2020, 10:16:09 pm »
Got into the Clash last year. London Calling is bloody brilliant. Not a bad song on there.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2020, 10:54:13 pm »
Got into the Clash last year. London Calling is bloody brilliant. Not a bad song on there.
One of my dad's favourite bands. I always liked them too I think my favourite is "English civil war"
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2022, 12:46:21 pm »
40th anniversary of Combat Rock this year

Combat Rock / The People’s Hall Out Now

Originally released in May 1982, ‘Combat Rock’ is the final album from The Clash of Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon. Featuring two of the band’s most well-known songs, ‘Should I Stay Or Should I Go’ and ‘Rock The Casbah’, plus favourites ‘Straight To Hell’ and ‘Know Your Rights’, it is both their biggest selling album and highest-charting set in both the UK and US.

Now comes a special edition of the album, titled ‘Combat Rock / The People’s Hall’, which is out now! It couples the album with an additional 12-tracks compiled by The Clash. It is available to buy in double-CD, triple-vinyl, and digital formats.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2022, 12:29:59 am »
40th anniversary of Combat Rock this year

Combat Rock / The People’s Hall Out Now

Originally released in May 1982, ‘Combat Rock’ is the final album from The Clash of Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon. Featuring two of the band’s most well-known songs, ‘Should I Stay Or Should I Go’ and ‘Rock The Casbah’, plus favourites ‘Straight To Hell’ and ‘Know Your Rights’, it is both their biggest selling album and highest-charting set in both the UK and US.

Now comes a special edition of the album, titled ‘Combat Rock / The People’s Hall’, which is out now! It couples the album with an additional 12-tracks compiled by The Clash. It is available to buy in double-CD, triple-vinyl, and digital formats.

I'm not sure if i've ever listened to the whole of combat rock.I think they had run out of steam with Sandinista for me.Straight to hell is defo the stand out.I remember playing that at the warehouse i was working at and all the american lads being confused and surprised cos they only knew MIA-paper planes.