Author Topic: Cruise liner terminal  (Read 36951 times)

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
Re: Southampton and Liverpool in cruise ship row
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2014, 12:19:08 pm »
Shit scared of our potential, that's what it is.  Apart from being a fantastic tourist destination in its own right, Liverpool provides easy access to the whole of the North of England and North Wales.  Southampton aren't worried about 5 or 10 years' time; they're worried about 20 to 40 years' time.

Potentially anyone north of Birmingham will look to Liverpool first rather than Southampton.

Only advantage it still has is that it is closer to Europe, but not sure how much difference that would make on a cruise journey.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2014, 02:02:18 pm »
What liverpool needs now is to get one or two of the big hitters (RCI / Celebrity / Princess et al) doing regular cruise packages to the Med hotspots..thats when it'll really take off
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »
We're always going to be restricted by the fact that we can only accomodate one liner at a time, where as Southampton can do up to three at any one time.

It would be interesting to see if the landing stage was added to, if, and when, Liverpool Waters gets off the drawing board in years to come.

I'm still awaiting to see how the whole cruise terminal in the Cunard building is going to work out.

How the hell are they going to use it as an embarkation/disembarkation point when there is security issues going to and fro from building to ship, and vice versa.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
We're always going to be restricted by the fact that we can only accomodate one liner at a time, where as Southampton can do up to three at any one time.
It would be interesting to see if the landing stage was added to, if, and when, Liverpool Waters gets off the drawing board in years to come.
I'm still awaiting to see how the whole cruise terminal in the Cunard building is going to work out.
How the hell are they going to use it as an embarkation/disembarkation point when there is security issues going to and fro from building to ship, and vice versa.

Yep, does seem a bit of a problem that...seeing as the standard cruise terminal operation is right out of the embarkation area and directly onto the ship......as for capacity - i wonder if there'd be scope for docking 2 at a time - the embarking ship on the Liverpool side and the other - visiting ship - on the Birkenhead side?
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »
Yep, does seem a bit of a problem that...seeing as the standard cruise terminal operation is right out of the embarkation area and directly onto the ship......as for capacity - i wonder if there'd be scope for docking 2 at a time - the embarking ship on the Liverpool side and the other - visiting ship - on the Birkenhead side?

And we've all had those interminable (no pun intended) bus-rides in airports to get to the plane. I'm sure they could do it.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »
And we've all had those interminable (no pun intended) bus-rides in airports to get to the plane. I'm sure they could do it.

In the long term I think a monorail / shuttle could be an option.....might sound a bit ambitious but where there's a will etc

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »
Well the Liverpool Waters project is supposed to include a cruise terminal and a monorail, so there's always that option - but who knows when all that might be ready?

Extending the landing stage further north might be possible, but not without the demolition of some existing structures.  Birkenhead remains a possibility, but they're a separate council.  Do you put in turnaround facilities there, or chartered coaches through the tunnels?

The main reason Southampton became the prime UK passenger port in the first place was for the New York run, but that sort of thing doesn't happen much anymore so as a cruise destination Liverpool becomes a viable option.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »

Extending the landing stage further north might be possible, but not without the demolition of some existing structures. 
And some one producing the cash mate. It means passengers wouldn't land in the heart of the city but if the Northern Village was to be so spectacular it may not matter given the shuttle service that would be provided.
Anyway, its currently council funded and they can't build an alternative terminal because they're more than skint. It could well be a business opportunity for a corporation though.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2014, 10:07:27 pm »
I think they're planning to have a collapsible walk way from the exit of the Cunard building to the landing stage. Not ideal, but I suppose it's one way (pretty much the only) of getting across the space between the ship and check in given the current location of the landing stage.
Wasn't there something about underground luggage railways from the Cunard building to the ships?

Not at all surprised the cruise sold out as quick as it did. Trying to have a guess at how many berths they had set aside for Liverpool embarkation, I can't see it being more than half the ship, maybe a lot less. They can't have an empty ship for the 2 nights from Southampton to Liverpool.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
Potentially anyone north of Birmingham will look to Liverpool first rather than Southampton.

Only advantage it still has is that it is closer to Europe, but not sure how much difference that would make on a cruise journey.
It would add an extra day to the cruise. It would be 4 nights to get to Barcelona, rather than three, That would be the only difference.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:11:20 pm by scoresagain »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 9, 2014, 06:04:30 pm »
Camermoron says the cruise liner terminal and Liverpool 2 will help rebalance the country's economy between north and south, specifically increased freight and passengers through Liverpool and less through Southampton.

They're going to love him for saying that!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 9, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
Camermoron says the cruise liner terminal and Liverpool 2 will help rebalance the country's economy between north and south, specifically increased freight and passengers through Liverpool and less through Southampton.

ha ha its pay back for them lot voting ukip

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 9, 2014, 11:23:31 pm »

If his lips were moving, he was lying.

He'll pay lip service to the North when it suits him.  Sending 4/5th of the wealth down south as usual.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:40 am »
Hilarious.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:08 pm »
Is there a bit of back tracking on Cunard buildings being used as a cruise liner terminal  . Council moving in there around October after refurbishment . Talk of having   permission for a hotel and how the council "talked "
Of a terminal

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/cunard-building-costs-top-15m-7635478

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #215 on: August 19, 2014, 10:17:51 pm »
why do the council need to move into there exactly? and for 15mil, whilst a shit load of libraries get closed. Seems like a monumental waste of money, unless ive missed something.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 19, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »
Joe Anderson does like his creature comforts, doesn't he?

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:39 pm »
why do the council need to move into there exactly? and for 15mil, whilst a shit load of libraries get closed. Seems like a monumental waste of money, unless ive missed something.

Going back on an old article , it's supposedly to save money in the long term , sell millenium house and relocate staff from a leased buliding . Short term money spent to save in the long term .

I'm sure there will be some future auditors report saying different , but not heard too much about the passenger terminal since it was announced to great fanfare and wondering if it's not going to happen . Though the existing one is coming down next year apparently

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2014, 11:23:03 pm »
I understand that they'll save money by rationalising and consolidating some of their city centre office base mate, so over say a 3-year period the savings will assist to keep libraries open or preserve other services.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 8, 2014, 06:21:30 pm »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2014, 11:52:28 pm »
No ticketing office now at the old Cunard buliding as the logistics of getting passengers securely from there to the ships is too expensive ... Monorail may have been needed , does beg the question was no one thinking about this, not so much about buying the building but the fanfare that was made about it the ticket office and restoring it for cruising purposes .
If Joe Anderson wants to start reading this thread this problem was highlighted by a few of us when first
Announced ...some amateurs really do run this city  :no

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-cunard-building-cruise-terminal-7932049
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:54:23 pm by gazzam1963 »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »
Indeed.  Joe Anderson and Liverpool Council in general (no matter which party is in charge) once again display their blithering ineptitude.

As soon as I heard about using the Cunard Building I thought it was a great idea, but my first thought right on the heels of that was:n How are they going to get disembarking passengers from the liner to the building without losing any?  Frogmarch them?

And yet nobody in charge of this city seems to have had the same fricking thought!!!!  :butt

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
Indeed.  Joe Anderson and Liverpool Council in general (no matter which party is in charge) once again display their blithering ineptitude.

As soon as I heard about using the Cunard Building I thought it was a great idea, but my first thought right on the heels of that was:n How are they going to get disembarking passengers from the liner to the building without losing any?  Frogmarch them?

And yet nobody in charge of this city seems to have had the same fricking thought!!!!  :butt

Yet here's people on here pulling the idea up with regard getting people and baggage  through customs onto a ship through a public area . If the council just came out and said it's economical to buy the building move staff in under one umbrella and lease others out . Bring more business to the waterfront and even have some sort of tourist information place on site that Would have been ok with me .

But announcing some grand Ill thought out plan , having the Cunard president visit and publicly speak about it . We always seem to have grand municipal plans that never get off the ground . So what happens now does the tent stay or does Peel now build something permanent instead of the tent . Some of the ports I've visited on cruises have far better modern facilities .

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2014, 10:53:24 pm »
Anderson is all about the grand gesture, the big talk, the flamboyant one off display...with very little genuine thought or long term strategy ......a fat bullshitting bastard...and an incompetent arselicking council............useless c*nts to a man/woman

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2014, 12:13:26 am »
Anderson is all about the grand gesture, the big talk, the flamboyant one off display...with very little genuine thought or long term strategy ......a fat bullshitting bastard...and an incompetent arselicking council............useless c*nts to a man/woman
There's a now thread open about having a Mayor in Liverpool, I've replied in that.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2014, 03:51:01 pm »
Liverpool named best cruise ship destination for second year running

Liverpool has been named the UK's best cruise port of call for the second year running.

Cruise Critic, a sister site of TripAdvisor, handed the city the accolade due to the range of attractions within walking distance of its cruise terminal.

Judges also praised the "warm welcome" offered by the people of Liverpool and the city's range of architectural treasures.

The awards are judged by a panel of cruise journalists in 18 different categories.

Editors said: "Much of what Liverpool has to offer cruise-ship visitors is right in the city centre, alongside the waterfront where ships dock.

"The revitalised Albert Dock houses numerous restaurants and attractions - like the Beatles Story museum - and the adjacent billion-pound Liverpool One retail park is the UK's largest open-air retail complex."

Assistant Mayor and Liverpool City Council’s cabinet member for culture and tourism, Councillor Wendy Simon, said: “This is highly prestigious award and we’re delighted to win it for two consecutive years.

“Cruise Critic is one of the first places travellers look when contemplating a cruise, and we’re so pleased that Liverpool has taken the top-spot and the glowing review of our port will hopefully attract more people to choose the city as a cruise destination.

“Liverpool’s win is thoroughly deserved – the team at the terminal, along with representatives from our tourist industry go above and beyond to welcome people to the city and make it a memorable trip for them.”

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Cruise liner terminal
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2015, 03:31:42 pm »
There is no higher praise than that offered by Cruise Critic.