Author Topic: Pepe's .tv interview  (Read 65390 times)

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pepe's .tv interview
« Reply #440 on: April 3, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »
If somebody offered £20m I would take it. He is a good goalkeeper, but he isn't the world beater many of us make him out to be. He can be replaced., without it affecting the overall quality of the team as long as the money is spent wisely.

Mmm he can be replaced, yes, but his replacement won't be as good. I guarantee it.

I have slowly come round to this view watching Reina over the last few months; how many truly world class saves does he actually make ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRaut_9Ypx4&feature=related

Well, there's about seven in twenty seconds.
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #441 on: April 3, 2011, 03:53:15 pm »
We have conceded loads of penalties this season, and he hasn't saved any.

Disagree with nearly all of your post, Pepe was MOTM for me yesterday.

Have been thinking about his penalty saving reputation for a while now though and have got the following stats off Liverweb.  Of the 26 penalties he's faced in normal time, 4 were missed (15.4%) and 22 scored (84.6%).  In shootouts, he has faced 7 and conceded 2 (28.6%).
« Last Edit: April 3, 2011, 04:18:05 pm by gray19lfc »

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: April 3, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
Does anyone have the stats on how many penalties he's faced and how many he's saved?  I don't remember seeing him save one for ages.

The rest of that post I quoted is shite by the way.  MOTM for me yesterday.

I think old trafford last year he saved rooneys but the fat prick got the rebound.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: April 3, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »
anyway, making loads of great saves does not make you a great keeper

Yep.  Practically all decent goalkeepers are agile and good shot stoppers.  Top goalkeepers should be judged by 1. Decision making, 2. how few mistakes they make and 3. Distribution.  Pep's scores very highly in all 3 areas.  He's the best keeper in the league and probably the only genuinely world class player on our books.  Not to mention the fact he's superb to have in the dressing room.  He'll be a big loss.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: April 3, 2011, 04:04:05 pm »
Yep.  Practically all decent goalkeepers are agile and good shot stoppers.  Top goalkeepers should be judged by 1. Decision making, 2. how few mistakes they make and 3. Distribution.  Pep's scores very highly in all 3 areas.  He's the best keeper in the league and probably the only genuinely world class player on our books.  Not to mention the fact he's superb to have in the dressing room.  He'll be a big loss.

Suarez?  Not to mention Gerrard?  I know it's the fashion to disparage our squad after a loss, and I admit that we are a long ways off challenging for the league, but to say that Reina is our only world-class player is taking it too far.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: April 3, 2011, 04:10:02 pm »
Suarez?  Not to mention Gerrard?  I know it's the fashion to disparage our squad after a loss, and I admit that we are a long ways off challenging for the league, but to say that Reina is our only world-class player is taking it too far.

suarez isnt world class yet, gerrard is probably just about still world class but in permanent decline

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: April 3, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »

I haven't seen Gerrard put in a world class performance for some time now and it's a bit early to say Suarez is world class, although if he carries on like he is, he'll deserve such a description.  Both very, very good players though.  I'm quite positive about our squad actually, in Lucas, Mereiles, Johnson, Kelly, Agger, Maxi, Kuyt, as well as the two you mention we've got some top talent but I'm not sure about any of them being genuinely world class.  I reserve that for the world's best, the elite.  I can only think of a handful of players we've had in recent years befitting of that description.  Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Torres and Carra for a time.  Arguably Hyypia too.  Not much beyond those in recent years.  I think United who are the best in the country at the moment only have a few world class players - Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra.  Clearly Giggs and Scholes used to be too.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: April 3, 2011, 04:18:42 pm »
I haven't seen Gerrard put in a world class performance for some time now
Man United? Chelsea? Napoli? He isn't doing it as regularly as he once did, but he hasn't been as useless as many on here seem to think.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: April 3, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »
Man United? Chelsea? Napoli? He isn't doing it as regularly as he once did, but he hasn't been as useless as many on here seem to think.

Are you talking about the most recent United and Chelsea matches?  Because they weren't world class performances at all in my opinion.  Excellent against Napoli I agree - that was Stevie as a force of nature, unstoppable when he plays like that.  We go months in between those sort of performances these days though.  I'm not criticising him, he's one of our greatest ever players, has provided many of the happiest moments of my life and given whole new generations of Liverpool supporters their own stories of Liverpool glory to tell.  But right now, in 2011 - tough to say he's a still a world class performer.  The reality is class isn't permanent - it fades as the legs grow weary.  Scholes and Giggs aren't world class either anymore - they play brilliantly once every 6 or 7 matches and then the media w@nks over their ageless ability.  Speak to United season ticket holders and they've been crying out for quality replacements for two seasons now.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: April 3, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »

what 'world class' performances against man united or chelsea?

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: April 3, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »
Are you talking about the most recent United and Chelsea matches?  Because they weren't world class performances at all in my opinion.  Excellent against Napoli I agree - that was Stevie as a force of nature, unstoppable when he plays like that. We go months in between those sort of performances these days though.  I'm not criticising him, he's one of our greatest ever players, has provided many of the happiest moments of my life and given whole new generations of Liverpool supporters their own stories of Liverpool glory to tell.  But right now, in 2011 - tough to say he's a still a world class performer.  The reality is class isn't permanent - it fades as the legs grow weary.  Scholes and Giggs aren't world class either anymore - they play brilliantly once every 6 or 7 matches and then the media w@nks over their ageless ability.  Speak to United season ticket holders and they've been crying out for quality replacements for two seasons now.
Because he's been bogged down with injuries for the past two season?  It's fair to say age has affected him, in that injuries have become a lot more common for him, but the right treatment and care can see him hit form again.

Scholes and Giggs are almost 40. Gerrard has just entered his 30s. It's ridiculous to start writing his eulogy right now.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2011, 05:26:11 pm by Ambrosia »

Offline BigV

• Legacy Fan
  • Fight on!
« Reply #451 on: April 3, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »

Agree with this. Can't underestimate the confidence he instills in the rest of the side and his distribution is really second to none, it's like having an extra man on this pitch if you have a keeper who can play the right pass forward and it makes us far more threatening on the counter attack. He's a true world beater and it would be absurd to lose him because quite frankly there's no one else who can bring what he does.

Not to mention that he's also clearly a very insightful reader of the game and is probably has the best leadership skills out there.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: April 3, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »
what 'world class' performances against man united or chelsea?
I personally thought he was brilliant in both games. Along with Lucas I thought they were rocks in the center of the park.

Offline Mostar

• Video guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: April 3, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »
If somebody offered £20m I would take it. He is a good goalkeeper, but he isn't the world beater many of us make him out to be. He can be replaced., without it affecting the overall quality of the team as long as the money is spent wisely.

He is easily the best goalkeeper in PL and that will be dificult to replace regardless of who would come. Also losing Pepe would also disrupt the balance at the back as the new goalkeeper would need to adjust and that takes time.

Also we are trying to change the perception that we are the selling club that was stuck with us since H&G days.

We don't sell our best players and that is very important especially when we'll be trying to convince top talent to join us.
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
http://twitter.com/@LFCmostar

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #454 on: April 3, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »
He's a class act. top keepers are hard to find. United will be worried when VDS goes. And look at arsenal, with a top keeper they'd be in a much better situation

Can't be going back to calamity james days
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Boggers

• Kemlynite
  • Starting to believe again
« Reply #455 on: April 3, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
Maybe a poor goal keeper could be a kick up the arse for the defense to step it up?  :-\

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: April 3, 2011, 07:29:59 pm »
Because he's been bogged down with injuries for the past two season?  It's fair to say age has affected him, in that injuries have become a lot more common for him, but the right treatment and care can see him hit form again.

Scholes and Giggs are almost 40. Gerrard has just entered his 30s. It's ridiculous to start writing his eulogy right now.

You're right, he has been hampered by injuries but those injuries and more specifically the time and effort put in to recover from them, whilst frustrating at the time and limiting his appearances have also taken their toll long term in my view.  In 08/09, supporting Torres with the brilliant partnership in Masch and Alonso behind him, he looked superb again but that was some time ago.  Last season, I thought he might have just been suffering from the absence of Alonso but I'm not so sure now.  I wonder if he'll ever be that same player again.  I'm not writing his eulogy but I'd personally like a fit and firing revitalised Gerrard to be the icing on the cake, an unexpected bonus rather than something we look to build around and I'd be amazed if we got anything like a full top form season out of him again.

Also, Gerrard's ability is based in no small part around his supreme athleticism.  Scholes with his, in this country at least, peerless technique was always going to be able to adapt as his body grew older.  Giggs has been more of a surprise by adapting as well.  Whether or not Gerrard can evolve his style into his 30s is still very much up for debate.  Early signs of him playing a deeper role in central midfield have not been too promising in my view.

I'm not writing him off though.  I still think we can get more good seasons out of him as the most advanced in a midfield 3, hopefully sharing the role with Aquilani.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2011, 07:34:41 pm by jDJ »

Online Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: April 3, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »
Can honestly see him going in the summer the noises that have been coming out from him in recent months has not been overly positive.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: April 3, 2011, 09:07:37 pm »
I think it depends on whether Arsenal will spend 20m on a keeper. So he could still stay.

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: April 3, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »
I don't know why I haven't thought of it before, but if Reina were to leave, then surely we'd be mad not to look at Foster?

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: April 3, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »
I don't know why I haven't thought of it before, but if Reina were to leave, then surely we'd be mad not to look at Foster?

There must be many more, better, keepers that we can get for £20 million or under that are better than Foster.

Offline Sinead7

• Many hands make brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children
« Reply #461 on: April 3, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »

Good Keeper, but he was at United and he'd come with 'English tax' meaning we'd pay more than he is worth.
Trapps Army 2012

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #462 on: April 3, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »
I have slowly come round to this view watching Reina over the last few months; how many truly world class saves does he actually make ? I can only remember a save in the Chelsea game at Anfield, other than that I can't really remember anything. I know we have had a dodgy defence, who expose him at times, but I seriously cannot rememer a game in the last year where at the end I have thought 'thank fuck for Reina he has got us out of the shit there.'Maybe I have a bad memory. He doesn't drop many clangers, but neither has he been top class, and won us games.
Forget the clean sheet award, that isn't worth a wank; whilst he has been winning these Edwin van der Sar has been winning league titles.
And how many penalties does he save in a match situation ? I can only remember 2. We have conceded loads of penalties this season, and he hasn't saved any.
I am not saying he is a bad goalkeeper; if he stays fine, but if he goes he is far from irreplaceable.

I read that, scrolled down the page and then scrolled back up to make sure I wasn't tripping. Fucking hell.

Offline JCP

• Kopite
    • Star Wars Games
« Reply #463 on: April 3, 2011, 11:20:10 pm »

Fuck no, not Foster, the guy can't kick.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #464 on: April 3, 2011, 11:23:05 pm »
I read that, scrolled down the page and then scrolled back up to make sure I wasn't tripping. Fucking hell.

Lol was going to write something very similar then scrolled down and saw yours

Being casual about top class keepers leaving and the effect it has on your team is a really dangerous activity - ask Man U a few years ago and Arsenal the last few years

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #465 on: April 3, 2011, 11:27:52 pm »

I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: April 4, 2011, 02:06:48 am »
I am not saying he is a bad goalkeeper; if he stays fine, but if he goes he is far from irreplaceable.
Its rare I really criticise a poster mate but that post was pretty shity, honestly. I can see all sides of all arguments about every Liverpool player but I just don't get an angle on that post Andy.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #467 on: April 4, 2011, 02:22:27 am »
I have slowly come round to this view watching Reina over the last few months; how many truly world class saves does he actually make ? I can only remember a save in the Chelsea game at Anfield, other than that I can't really remember anything. I know we have had a dodgy defence, who expose him at times, but I seriously cannot rememer a game in the last year where at the end I have thought 'thank fuck for Reina he has got us out of the shit there.'Maybe I have a bad memory. He doesn't drop many clangers, but neither has he been top class, and won us games.
Forget the clean sheet award, that isn't worth a wank; whilst he has been winning these Edwin van der Sar has been winning league titles.
And how many penalties does he save in a match situation ? I can only remember 2. We have conceded loads of penalties this season, and he hasn't saved any.

Yeah I mean, the golden glove isn't worth a wank. Same way the the golden boot isn't worth one, either. Say next year Carroll gets 25 goals and is the leading scorer, and continues to be so for most seasons after, that won't be worth a fucking wank either, will it? At the end of the day, he's just scoring goals. All Pepe does is prevent them, to the best of his or anybody elses abilty in this league. But that's nothing, we can do without a top class goalie.

Offline Mostar

• Video guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: April 4, 2011, 04:17:36 am »

We need miles better goalkeeper than Foster.

If he was one for the future Mancs would have let him leave.

If Pepe wants to go there are some decent choice out there that we can consider such as Lloris, Neuer, De Gea, Stekelenburg, Handanovic, Akinfeev etc.

None of them are as good as Pepe but they can get the job done if Pepe wants out. 

Hopefully Pepe will stay cause if he doesn't it will be a huge blow but we'll deal with it as we dealt with Nando's situation.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2011, 04:19:24 am by Mostar »
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
http://twitter.com/@LFCmostar

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #469 on: April 13, 2011, 06:13:24 pm »
I dunno if anyone else has seen this but I followm Pepe Reina Official on FB and he posted the following just before:

Hi to @ll,

On Monday we won by 3-0 Man City. It was a great match, from all the team together. Special mention to my team mate Sweet Carroll. Especially thanks to the fans, they were awesome! It was a very important victory for continuing dreaming with Europe.
I would like a tribute to the 96 victims of Hillsborough in the 22 years since that tragic day ... they will never walk alone and always will be remembered

doesn't sound like a man who wants to leave but very well said Pepe and very respectful, the man is pure class.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #470 on: April 13, 2011, 07:10:27 pm »
i dont think pepe will leave(yet)

with torres we all kind of new(but didnt want to admit) he wanted to go.i just dont get that kind of vibe off pepe.

i think he will stay at least 1 more season,he knows that we are on the way back to challenging for titles and trophies.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: April 13, 2011, 07:20:47 pm »
My theory is Pepe has been dropping hints about leaving because of how bad the Torres debacle ended for the player. He wants everyone to be ready for the fact he could leave, even to Man Utd. That way if he stays he looks like even more of a hero, if he leaves people are not thrown into the same frenzy as with Torres.
Also, if he goes I don't think we will pay top money for a replacement, and instead pump the extra funds into different areas. As much as people will get mad, I think if it happens we will see Hennessey come in along with Friedel on a free with a one year contract to provide experienced cover. If Hennessey doesn't cut it, then we have Friedel until the next window when we can try again. 
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #472 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
Friedel, Given or Foster?

FML.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #473 on: April 14, 2011, 10:06:17 am »
doesnt sound like a man whos thinking of leaving

Reina, though, is pleased with the decision. He's a fan.

"I like grey," he muses. "Let's see if it brings us a bit more luck this year

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/with-the-reds-at-new-kit-launch

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
Mancs have reportedly got De Gea for £17.5m or thereabouts, which puts Pepe's price as north of that. Chelsea about to go on the managerial whirlygig again (though reportedly Rafa is pushing to be considered, that would be a match made in hell) it leaves Arsenal as the lead contenders. Can't see anyway Wenger would want to spend over £20m on a keeper.

Offline Kytracid

• The last bastion of credibility? Had his RAWK ass handed to him on a plate.
  • Kopite
« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

I hope you're joking.

Surely the fact Ferguson let Foster go for 6 million to Brum should give you a clue as to why he'd be a complete no go for us.

He's a decent keeper, playing for a club that matches his ambition. Nothing more.

I remember he gave an interview where he said there was too much pressure at United, where people would walk around in a worried state if they drew a game.  Now, given that sort of mentality how the fuck do you think he'd do at Liverpool where we will expect to kick on and challenge for titles. The man is a liability anytime the pressure is on, and i fully expect him to crumble when we need him the most.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:20:50 am by Kytracid »

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
I would hate to see the man go, cos regardless of what some say here he is world class. The only thing keeping him out of the Spain side is how special Casillas is.

If he does have to go the only player in the PL I would see as a equal replacement would be Given IMO
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline Kytracid

• The last bastion of credibility? Had his RAWK ass handed to him on a plate.
  • Kopite
« Reply #477 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
Mancs have reportedly got De Gea for £17.5m or thereabouts, which puts Pepe's price as north of that. Chelsea about to go on the managerial whirlygig again (though reportedly Rafa is pushing to be considered, that would be a match made in hell) it leaves Arsenal as the lead contenders. Can't see anyway Wenger would want to spend over £20m on a keeper.

Why not? It'll be 6 years of winning fuck all. If Arsenal lose again there is a good chance Fabregas goes for 35-40 million to Barca. Then you have the takeover by Kronke almost pushed through, and i'm sure the new owner will want to appease the fans by showing he's not just there to pile debt onto what has been a successfully run club. I expect Wenger will have 60 million to spend in the summer and a clear message from the board that he HAS to win some silverware in the next season. People think Wenger will continue to just recruit zygotes and keep playing the kids but i have a feeling this summer will be different. Wenger is under pressure to deliver. He's been a great coach but patience wears thin amongst football fans (we should know)...at some point he has to spend the money they have.

I would not be surprised in the least if they end up with Pepe because he is exactly the type of keeper Arsenal have needed ever since Seamen left the club.

If we don't get 4th, I think Pepe is as goodd as gone.

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:49 am »
Friedel, Given or Foster?

FML.

None come close to Reina's qualities. We can't replace him with any of these to be honest (in case he leaves of course)  :(

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:09 am »
Also we are trying to change the perception that we are the selling club that was stuck with us since H&G days.

We don't sell our best players and that is very important especially when we'll be trying to convince top talent to join us.
That's the thing for me. As many have already stated, this summer will tell us a lot about where the ambition of FSG lies.