Author Topic: Glen Johnson 3.0. Bossing it, much better than Windows 8.  (Read 279841 times)

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Glen Johnson 3.0. Bossing it, much better than Windows 8.
« Reply #3760 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »
Johnson is an upgrade you make once you've sorted out a side and got them nice and solid. In that respect, of course he's an upgrade and an improvement on Arbeloa. Anyone arguing who is the better player should give up watching football.

I'll be bold enough to say the national team of spain is a rather sorted side... Strange they use arbeloa then... 45 times as well, but what do the spanish know about football..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3761 on: February 15, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »
Since he left (to be sure) we never win again

The wind! Fuck me, that's all it is... the wind.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: February 15, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »
Arsing about aside, when we come down to slagging one of our best players, something's really wrong. I read that match thread last night for about an hour after the game. I couldn't be arsed commenting, but I couldn't turn away. The best thing I can say... some people really need to stay away from the keyboard after we've been beat.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3763 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »
I'll be bold enough to say the national team of spain is a rather sorted side... Strange they use arbeloa then... 45 times as well, but what do the spanish know about football..

Whats that got to do with anything? We upgraded to a better quality of player. Spain don't have the luxury of signing someone, so could it not just be that there aren't any outstanding attacking Spanish right-backs? I'd wager Glen would walk into the Spain side......
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: February 15, 2013, 02:32:43 pm »
Did any of you just think maybe just maybe its the system? if notice Glen defends better on left Attacks better on the Right.

Its like none of you been watching us all season, Glen is are Dani giving free role on Right to pretty much play as winger. Of course this would be much more effective if Downing used it to his advantage more.

This is why 9/10 Jose don't get forward as much unless we are piling on the pressure on a team and dominating in possession.

Glen behind Suarez has been best player this season anyone arguing different is just dam right stupid. That's not to say he don't have lapses in concentration or make mistakes. Then again look at the whole back for and Keeper all have had bad spells of this maybe just maybe they need to work on defending as team in training. Specially set pieces, personally i blame lot of goals this season down to new system. Do we really have to always play it out from the back? when we started to play good football the temper is faster, interchanging is faster etc.

When we play slow football and split the CB it always leads to problems we always seem to get hit i counter cause we ask are CB to split so wide and full back push up.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »
Whats that got to do with anything? We upgraded to a better quality of player. Spain don't have the luxury of signing someone, so could it not just be that there aren't any outstanding attacking Spanish right-backs? I'd wager Glen would walk into the Spain side......

You believed Glen would be the ideal candidate for a sorted side, while arbeloa would be suitable for a team in transtition/progress -( i assume its because you believe glen ads flair while arbeloa is more of a dependenable, boring type)

Spain(Barcelona) is the most sorted team around today and has been for a couple of years. they do this tiki-taka stuff which i believe also rodgers is referring to..

arbeloa has 45 games for that team. could of course be that spain has world class players in all other positions and stuck with this boring arbeloa..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #3766 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »
Arsing about aside, when we come down to slagging one of our best players, something's really wrong. I read that match thread last night for about an hour after the game. I couldn't be arsed commenting, but I couldn't turn away. The best thing I can say... some people really need to stay away from the keyboard after we've been beat.

Absolutely felt the same Leo.Those post match threads are complete nonsense.Johnson's been brilliant this season even more so when took out of his comfort zone and thrown in at left back.One or two indifferent  performances and the knives are out.

They don't deserve success.

That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3767 on: February 15, 2013, 02:53:24 pm »
You believed Glen would be the ideal candidate for a sorted side, while arbeloa would be suitable for a team in transtition/progress -( i assume its because you believe glen ads flair while arbeloa is more of a dependenable, boring type)

Spain(Barcelona) is the most sorted team around today and has been for a couple of years. they do this tiki-taka stuff which i believe also rodgers is referring to..

arbeloa has 45 games for that team. could of course be that spain has world class players in all other positions and stuck with this boring arbeloa..

I believe Glen is the sort of full-back you upgrade to yes, whereas Arbeloa is a more solid, dependable, less spectacular full-back.

I don't get the relevance of him being in the Spain side though? I'm not saying Arbeloa is 'boring' or 'rubbish' just that Glen is the better player. Its not a slight on Arbeloa. If Dani Alves was Spanish, he'd get in that side too.

Plus, of course, good, solid, dependable players will find places in excellent sides. Was Capdevilla an outstanding attacking left back? No. But he was capped 46 times and was starting LB at Euro 2008 and World Cup '10. Was he better than Ashley Cole at that time? I'd say not. Kleberson was first choice for Brazil when they won the WC in '02, would you suggest he was superior to Paul Scholes at that time?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:29 pm »
Absolutely felt the same Leo.Those post match threads are complete nonsense.Johnson's been brilliant this season even more so when took out of his comfort zone and thrown in at left back.One or two indifferent  performances and the knives are out.

They don't deserve success.

Madness Timmy. Remember being flabberghasted by the Rafa slaggings on the old gaff. You'd think we'd have learnt our lesson by now. But it's just getting worse, and it seems scapegoating has became part of our way now.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #3769 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:12 pm »
Madness Timmy. Remember being flabberghasted by the Rafa slaggings on the old gaff. You'd think we'd have learnt our lesson by now. But it's just getting worse, and it seems scapegoating has became part of our way now.

I know ya and I remember how well they were warned to what path we'd take had we got rid and all...but hey ho,they know it all.
As for the oul scapegoat thing that seems to be a problem of society in the modern  world in general.LFC and its supporters used to be different.Now ? well only for the minority,we're not that much different anymore.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: February 15, 2013, 03:14:38 pm »
Tim mate, I gave up on it a long time back. It's just the way it is now. No wonder everything is going to cack. No one gives a shit about anyone or anything, just as long as their own wants and demands are met. That's a bit harsh, as there's still some people that haven't been brainwashed by all the bollocks. But sadly, most of them would just stand there while their neighbours are evicted and not give a fuck as long as it's not them. Football is a reflection of what's going on in society. There was a time, we all stuck together and up for one another. Maggie went to work on that in the 70's, and this is the result. Self obsessed greed. I know most people think I'm cuckoo. I couldn't give a toss. X-Factor, X-Box, Football manager... gimme, gimme, gimme it now.

Oh well, just the way it is.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3771 on: February 15, 2013, 03:19:27 pm »
Does Glen like this thread

Nope! Glen doesn't

Offline 6thSense

• 6th Sense? Nonsense more like.
  • Anny Roader
  • stadium work is gonna start in the summer of 2014
« Reply #3772 on: February 15, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »
Did any of you just think maybe just maybe its the system?

No. The system is perfect. It translated from Chelsea U15 to Watford to Reading to Swansea City.
I never single out players for criticism - but there's no need tonight, because we were uniformly awful.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: February 15, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
No. The system is perfect. It translated from Chelsea U15 to Watford to Reading to Swansea City.
Is that a bit of sarcasm there? Because, unless you know a way of bringing the top, trophy winning, experienced managers to our club, there isn't much point in it.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #3774 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »
Are you the odd speaking police officer from 'Allo 'Allo? ;)

no thats Joey Barton.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #3775 on: February 15, 2013, 03:43:45 pm »
He came so close to scoring, it's unreal that his excellent toe-poke shot between the legs of Zenit's keeper did not end up at the back of the net.

His contribution to their second goal was one of his usual "switch-off" moments. Having said that, Skrtel ought to have done better and been, in fairness, just a bit less unlucky with his attempted clearance.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #3776 on: February 15, 2013, 03:49:11 pm »
You jest, but that is his cv (Except it didn't work at Reading, of course) Plus a lot of reading, theorising, blarneying and generally doing anything other than actually delivering the goods at the highest level. Something that 2 of his 3 sacked predecessors had achieved in spades.

Is that a bit of sarcasm there? Because, unless you know a way of bringing the top, trophy winning, experienced managers to our club, there isn't much point in it.
Not sacking them in the first place after one bad season would be one. Picking up the phone and asking whether they would come back would be another. Too late now, unless Brendan really, really fucks up - like upsets the media with some political incorrectness - he's here for another season at least, and we need to support him, cross our fingers and hope FSG have got lucky, because more fruitless change could hurt the club beyond repair.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: February 15, 2013, 03:59:45 pm »

Not sacking them in the first place after one bad season would be one. Picking up the phone and asking whether they would come back would be another.
You won't find a bigger believer in Rafa than me. But we've missed that boat, and it's not coming back. In fact, this spell at Chelsea may just finish his career in this country. But, we should learn from that mistake and give Brendan the time and money he needs to complete his plan. If it doesn't work out, so be it. We thank him and move on. But all this talk of sacking him isn't just ridiculous, it's damaging beyond belief. And if we don't stop it, we may well end up one of them clubs yo-yo-ing from manager to manager, and wallowing in it.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: February 15, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »
Blows my fucking mind that people can have a go at Glen Johnson. If it wasn't for Luis Suarez being fucking awesome Johnson would probably be far and away our player of the season so far.

I don't know how any Liverpool fan can't think he's an absolute joy to watch.

One of the finest in his position in the world and would walk into 99.9% of teams. I couldn't even be arsed discussing it because if you can't see that you're a lost cause and we have very differing perspectives on what makes a great footballer.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: February 15, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »
You won't find a bigger believer in Rafa than me. But we've missed that boat, and it's not coming back. In fact, this spell at Chelsea may just finish his career in this country. But, we should learn from that mistake and give Brendan the time and money he needs to complete his plan. If it doesn't work out, so be it. We thank him and move on. But all this talk of sacking him isn't just ridiculous, it's damaging beyond belief. And if we don't stop it, we may well end up one of them clubs yo-yo-ing from manager to manager, and wallowing in it.
Agree, mate. We sacked Rafa at least a season too soon. We sacked Kenny a season too soon. We sacked Hodgson 6 months too late. There is no way we can or should sack Brendan for at least another season, and then only if it's going backwards. We do that, we'll never be able to attract another Benitez. Every project should be given sufficient time to make sure it is actually failing, or you set up the self-fulfilling prophecy of the failing projects, like the pre-Ferguson United. We need to get back our reputation for giving managers (and players) a fair crack of the whip. Doesn't mean I can't express doubts, though, does it?

Rodgers might work out, but 6 months in I still have as many doubts as I did on appointment. Every little sign of progress seems to be met with another setback - 2 steps forward, 1 2 or 3 steps back? But I still go. I still support and I still don't want him sacked. But if I'm honest, that's more about restoring the club's reputation and stability than any real belief in or loyalty to the man.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: February 15, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
Blows my fucking mind that people can have a go at Glen Johnson. If it wasn't for Luis Suarez being fucking awesome Johnson would probably be far and away our player of the season so far.

One of the finest in his position in the world and would walk into 99.9% of teams. I couldn't even be arsed discussing it because if you can't see that you're a lost cause and we have very differing perspectives on what makes a great footballer.
Saved me posting on the Johnson situation. I am not sure who the 0.1% of clubs is, but they must have a fucking good right back!

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #3781 on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:06 pm »

Tbf, I think most of the ones doing the slagging have had breakdowns and are just doing a spot of pernicious wumming.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3782 on: February 15, 2013, 04:31:41 pm »
Agree, mate. We sacked Rafa at least a season too soon. We sacked Kenny a season too soon. We sacked Hodgson 6 months too late. There is no way we can or should sack Brendan for at least another season, and then only if it's going backwards. We do that, we'll never be able to attract another Benitez. Every project should be given sufficient time to make sure it is actually failing, or you set up the self-fulfilling prophecy of the failing projects, like the pre-Ferguson United. We need to get back our reputation for giving managers (and players) a fair crack of the whip. Doesn't mean I can't express doubts, though, does it?

Rodgers might work out, but 6 months in I still have as many doubts as I did on appointment. Every little sign of progress seems to be met with another setback - 2 steps forward, 1 2 or 3 steps back? But I still go. I still support and I still don't want him sacked. But if I'm honest, that's more about restoring the club's reputation and stability than any real belief in or loyalty to the man.

Even the most staunch of us have doubts. We'd be mental not to have some. But the damage is already done. We aren't going back to the way we were. This is it. And it will only get worse. In a way, I dread ever becoming sucessful again. The fans will become unbearable if they have get a bit of sucess and it doesn't just keep happening.

In a way, that was Rafa's undoing. By winning the 5th in his first season, he created a monster and rod for his own back. The days of giving people like Shankly, and I hate to say it, Fergustramp, have long gone and they aren't coming back any day soon.

Offline 6thSense

• 6th Sense? Nonsense more like.
  • Anny Roader
  • stadium work is gonna start in the summer of 2014
« Reply #3783 on: February 15, 2013, 04:32:31 pm »

I don't know mate. But Moores and Parry certainly did. Hell, even this lot managed to install top manager. He delivered, in his first attempt. They undermined and sacked him in the end. In no way I believe they removed the King in a bid to improve our league position. There's something else in Rodgers appointment. I smell bullshit.
I never single out players for criticism - but there's no need tonight, because we were uniformly awful.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3784 on: February 15, 2013, 04:39:12 pm »
I don't know mate. But Moores and Parry certainly did. Hell, even this lot managed to install top manager. He delivered, in his first attempt. They undermined and sacked him in the end. In no way I believe they removed the King in a bid to improve our league position. There's something else in Rodgers appointment. I smell bullshit.
It's all guessing and conjecture though. So, best just let the lad get on with the job. Because, if we sack him after one season (Which FSG won't) we'll never attract the likes of Rafa again. He only came to the club because, "These fans are different, no?"
And if we keep that difference, who knows... Brendan might just turn out to be the fella that turns us round. But if we turn on him, forget bringing the likes of Rafa in.

Anyway, I've had my say now. There's no point in going on. When some people turn crook on the likes of Glen, there's no talking to them.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #3785 on: February 15, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »
well thinking about it we dont sack Rafa there is no Hodgson , then no need for Kenny to come back and get shit on by are own brattish fans and no Rodgers now no matter how well he is doing. So we can trace this managers roundabout down to three people and one of em is still here. Thanks Cecil and co!

But we did and we have gone downhill ever since.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: February 15, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »
Because, if we sack him after one season (Which FSG won't) we'll never attract the likes of Rafa again. He only came to the club because, "These fans are different, no?"
Even Jose in 2004, mulling over his next move, said Liverpool is different - it's a club where you get a chance to build something.

That is the reputation we need to restore first, and we do that by giving Rodgers a good crack of the whip. At the end of the day, unlike Hodgson, his philosophy on football aligns with the club's culture. The question is whether he has the qualities to deliver on it; the eye for a player, the eye for an assistant, the coaching skills, the tactical nous and the answer can only be, "time will tell." This is especially so as we have chosen to employ a young, inexperienced guy who seems learning on the job every bit as much as Raheem Sterling.

If it works with Brendan after giving him a few seasons, fine. If not, at least we know he's not the man and others know we are a club that has regained its patience.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:42 pm »
Even Jose in 2004, mulling over his next move, said Liverpool is different - it's a club where you get a chance to build something.

That is the reputation we need to restore first, and we do that by giving Rodgers a good crack of the whip. At the end of the day, unlike Hodgson, his philosophy on football aligns with the club's culture. The question is whether he has the qualities to deliver on it; the eye for a player, the eye for an assistant, the coaching skills, the tactical nous and the answer can only be, "time will tell." This is especially so as we have chosen to employ a young, inexperienced guy who seems learning on the job every bit as much as Raheem Sterling.

If it works with Brendan after giving him a few seasons, fine. If not, at least we know he's not the man and others know we are a club that has regained its patience.
That's it, in a nutshell. But I don't see the self-defeating whingeing ever stopping on here. It's just the way of the internet. It's easy to sling shite from the safety of an anonymous keyboard and some people just can't stop themselves. Best just ignore them and leave it to the mods. They get paid the big bucks to sort it out.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #3788 on: February 15, 2013, 05:12:50 pm »
They get paid the big bucks to sort it out.
Indeed. I got bought a pint once.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3789 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »
That's it, in a nutshell. But I don't see the self-defeating whingeing ever stopping on here. It's just the way of the internet. It's easy to sling shite from the safety of an anonymous keyboard and some people just can't stop themselves. Best just ignore them and leave it to the mods. They get paid the big bucks to sort it out.

What whinging? What are you on about?  This is a thread about Glen Johnson being the best RB in the history of football.  I thought that was obvious.  Regarding Rafa, I agree but what's done is done.  Same with Maggie but maybe the world has changed.  One small point though - if you think players didn't get stick in the 80's for having a poor game, you weren't there.  It should not matter if we had a sensible board in charge - but the sacking of Kenny clearly indicated that we don't.  Anyway, that's for another thread. 

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »
Indeed. I got bought a pint once.
See. Bloody celebrities, you don't half know how to live the high life.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:36 pm »
well thinking about it we dont sack Rafa there is no Hodgson , then no need for Kenny to come back and get shit on by are own brattish fans and no Rodgers now no matter how well he is doing. So we can trace this managers roundabout down to three people and one of em is still here. Thanks Cecil and co!

But we did and we have gone downhill ever since.
The sale of the club to Hicks and Gillett and the undermining and ultimately sacking of Rafa were body blows that knocked this club down from being a top outfit with regular European Cup challenges, and on the brink of regular league challenges, down to upper-mid table UEFA cup hopefuls and top four dreamers.

Incredible to think that, over the last decade, employing Hodgson isn't one of our top two errors.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »
One small point though - if you think players didn't get stick in the 80's for having a poor game, you weren't there.
I was there and of course individual players did, but I don't remember Paisley or Dalglish getting too much.

It's the knee jerk that bad times=sack the manager that do my head in. Don't kid yourself that Kenny and Rafa were sacked without the consent of a good bit of the support, because if there was a proper defence of either of them by a good amount of the support, I don't think H&G or FSG would've dared, so it isn't all board incompetence.

It's cost us two good and proven managers already and has only served to waste 10s of millions to take the club backwards.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:23:15 pm by Red number seven »

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: February 15, 2013, 05:23:43 pm »
I was there and of course individual players did, but I don't remember Paisley or Dalglish getting too much.

It's the knee jerk that bad times=sack the manager that do my head in. It's cost us two good and proven managers already and has only served to waste 10s of millions to take the club backwards.
They were winning the whole time so of course, they didn't.  But, yeah, we should never have sacked Rafa... it's painful to watch what's happening to him at Chelsea.  Anyway, water under the bridge...

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »
They were winning the whole time so of course, they didn't.  But, yeah, we should never have sacked Rafa... it's painful to watch what's happening to him at Chelsea.  Anyway, water under the bridge...
86-7 Kenny let Everton (imagine!) win the league and we won fuck all. 87-88 he blew the double against nobodies by getting bullied at Wembley. 88-9 he blew the league in the last game by being too negative at Anfield.

I think he'd have got some grief in the modern day - I can just hear the "taken-us-as-far-as-he-can" merchants on 5 live after the Arsenal game if it was 2009 instead of 89.

Paisley, of course, was rightly untouchable.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3795 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:00 pm »
What whinging? What are you on about?  This is a thread about Glen Johnson being the best RB in the history of football.  I thought that was obvious.  Regarding Rafa, I agree but what's done is done.  Same with Maggie but maybe the world has changed.  One small point though - if you think players didn't get stick in the 80's for having a poor game, you weren't there.  It should not matter if we had a sensible board in charge - but the sacking of Kenny clearly indicated that we don't.  Anyway, that's for another thread. 
Oh. Okay.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3796 on: February 15, 2013, 05:50:50 pm »
red number 7? kenny DID  get grief back then mate, can remember us playing sheff wednesday over xmas /new year  an i think dave bennet scored in front of  the kop, loads of the kop clapped the goal,  this after constantly moaning because sheff wed had the audacity to  come  to our place an have loads of the ball,  kennys  team was booed  off more than once,...

As for johnson, well  do we all think hes a  good defender? we know hes good going forward, but id prefer him to be a better  defender.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3797 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:37 pm »
red number 7? kenny DID  get grief back then mate, can remember us playing sheff wednesday over xmas /new year  an i think dave bennet scored in front of  the kop, loads of the kop clapped the goal,  this after constantly moaning because sheff wed had the audacity to  come  to our place an have loads of the ball,  kennys  team was booed  off more than once,...

As for johnson, well  do we all think hes a  good defender? we know hes good going forward, but id prefer him to be a better  defender.
Don't remember that game at all? Dave Bennett scoring against us for Wednesday at Anfield and the Kop booing Kenny? You sure? We stuffed Wednesday most seasons during Kenny's tenure from what I can remember so you may be remembering someone else or I may be choosing to ignore a bad day at the office. I remember being in the upper anny to see us lose to them under Evans but that was years later.

Don't especially remember booing off, but perhaps I'm being a bit rose tinted. My point is that there wasn't internet or a proliferation of cheap talk radio programmes where the "talent" comes free because it's the most fucking impatient, stupid supporters. Unfortunately this has had the effect of magnifying the value opinions and, ultimately, is destabilising.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:48:58 pm by Red number seven »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: February 15, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »

yes he is a good defender

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #3799 on: February 16, 2013, 11:11:49 am »
As for johnson, well  do we all think hes a  good defender?
Simple answer? Yes.