Author Topic: *whisper it quietly* Pssst.....8th place or ya getting banned  (Read 195962 times)

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: *whisper it quietly* Pssst.....4th place?
« Reply #160 on: February 6, 2011, 08:11:05 pm »
4th is too far. Hodgson era I personally believe has made it quite difficult to claim. For me 5th is a must now, although Spurs has a game in hand. I do honestly think 5th is the target. Don't get me wrong 4th would be awesome, but I just think the teams currently in these positions are strong enough to keep hold. 1 game at a time for me. The good thing is that this run and the way we are playing is putting fear into other teams. Especially with the weaker teams, we're half way there before we've kicked off. 4th would be nice but i think 5th is the realistic position we'll end up.
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #161 on: February 6, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »
70, 72, 76, 68, 67.

The final points total for the teams finishing 4th the last five years.

We currently have 38 with 12 games left.
Possibly 74 points.
I know every season is different but it is a big ask.
We have to go for it.Try and win every single game the way we have been and we have a chance.
Its great to be aiming for this rather than looking at the bottom 3 over our shoulders.

Magnificent today on and off the pitch.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Rafaroy

• Main Stander
  • RED4EVER YNWA
« Reply #162 on: February 6, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »
Remember Instanbal people remember :wave

Offline redway101

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 6, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »
No reason why we can't. After the season we've had under Roy to even think the unthinkable now? It would be hilarious to pip Spurs and particularly Chelsea for obvious reasons....

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 6, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »
We're the comeback kings.
@paulair

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #165 on: February 6, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »
Two games ago my mate said we would get a cl spot - i said if we did id run down the high st naked - im thinking i my need to trim my pubes soon
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #166 on: February 6, 2011, 08:13:48 pm »
We need the teams above us to drop points.

I'd love us to finish above Chelsea.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline redway101

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 6, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »
70, 72, 76, 68, 67.

Possibly 74 points.
We have to go for it.Try and win every single game the way we have been and we have a chance.
Its great to be aiming for this rather than looking at the bottom 3 over our shoulders.

Looking at it that way it's tough isn't it? The only thing I'd suggest to counter that is that we might see all the top four getting much lower points totals this season due to the nature of the league. Eighty points could still easily win the title.

Offline REDbrown

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: February 6, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »
Place Team           Points diff.  Games diff.  Goal diff.
1       Man Utd.      +16            -1                +28
2       Arsenal        +12            -1                +24
3       Man City      +11            0                 +17
4       Chelsea       +6              -1                +21
5       Tottenham   +6              -1                +5
6       Liverpool      0                0                 0

With 12 games to go.
Going to be hard. Most likely scenario is to gain at least 1 point on Chelsea and Tottenham every second game. They also both have 1 game in hand.
Second most likely scenario, is to catch only one of Tottenham or Chelsea, and gain at least 1 point on Arsenal or Man City every game (with Arsenal a game in  hand), which seems improbable.
<message deleted>

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 6, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »
Could be 9 points behind both Spurs and Chelsea if they win their games in hand.  Can't see us making up that much ground on two teams.  But regardless, this isn't about finishing 4th - this is about re-establishing Liverpool Football Club as one of the elite sides in Europe after a short blip away from it.  Finish on a roll this year, bring in a couple more of Kenny's signings this summer, then make a run at the title next year.  Bring it on.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #170 on: February 6, 2011, 08:16:41 pm »
One game at a time please, 5th before 4th etc..............

Get your self into a position where it is possible to achieve it on your own efforts, not failure of others, then try and and finish it off.

1st and most important, if Arsenal beat Birmingham in the LC then 6th will be Europa probably, that's base 1 and Sunderland are are main challengers there, we've got to go there as well shortly.

After that its just the fun of the chase and the confidence building of consistency and victory.

Three months ago I could not see a team in the PL that we could beat with certainty, now I can't see a team we could lose to, home or away.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 08:19:45 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #171 on: February 6, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »
70, 72, 76, 68, 67.

Possibly 74 points.

Our form since Kenny took over is 13 from 18.

Over 12 games thats 26 point.

That gives 64 points on current form.

So really we are not only asking for 2 teams to struggle, we are asking for us to improve our form even more......

If we did though - wow what an achievement it would be
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 6, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
Thirteen points from 6 games under Dalglish. If we'd had that points return all season, we would be 2 points clear of United (who would have a game in hand). And you could argue that defeat at Blackpool was down to lingering poor morale and shape from Hodgson's management.

Top four is certainly possible, but we could have been right up there this season. Even with this allegedly "poor" squad.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #173 on: February 6, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »
Chelsea's game in hand is against the mancs. Hardly the easiest game. They also have to play them again a few weeks after.

Spurs' game in hand is away to Blackpool, so they'll probably win that admittedly. But they have more away games left than home games, and trips to Chelsea, Man City, and ourselves.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sunderland take something off them at the weekend either.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #174 on: February 6, 2011, 08:19:44 pm »
Yes of course - it's on. This club exists to win trophies. If we're not challenging then what the fuck are we doing here?
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline Gav 30

• Boys Pen
« Reply #175 on: February 6, 2011, 08:19:45 pm »
Hi guys! New member here from Scotland! Liverpool fan of 26 years though ive never been to anfield. Im hoping to get down before the end of the season and im gonna make it a priority to get down 5 or 6 times a season as of next season
4th place is verypossible but the key to getting it is Getting Suarez fit and integrated asap imo.

Merieles has proved he"s gonnabe massive and getting Carra back today was a huge boost and instantly makes the back 4 look solid.

Anyway i hope im gonna enjoy this forum and all its goings on.  Cheers Guys YNWA

Offline LFC_1984

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: February 6, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »
I think with this win,the confidence boost and the upcoming partnership of Suarez and Carroll, could well see us nick 4th spot :lickin
Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #177 on: February 6, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »
not so long ago there were people whispering about relegation..

i'm happy dreaming of 4th spot - then next season back to 1st where we belong.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #178 on: February 6, 2011, 08:22:11 pm »
If Arse/Spurs/Chelsea were to win the CL this year but not qualify, and we finish 4th, does it mean the top four still qualify plus the team who win the comp?

Yes it would.  The rules were officially changed after we did the exact same thing in 2005.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #179 on: February 6, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »
Looking at it that way it's tough isn't it? The only thing I'd suggest to counter that is that we might see all the top four getting much lower points totals this season due to the nature of the league. Eighty points could still easily win the title.

I know, we really need a points cull from everyone above us. Just keep winning Redmen and see where we finish.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #180 on: February 6, 2011, 08:28:49 pm »
Hi guys! New member here from Scotland! Liverpool fan of 26 years though ive never been to anfield. Im hoping to get down before the end of the season and im gonna make it a priority to get down 5 or 6 times a season as of next season
4th place is verypossible but the key to getting it is Getting Suarez fit and integrated asap imo.

Meireles has proved he"s gonnabe massive and getting Carra back today was a huge boost and instantly makes the back 4 look solid.

Anyway i hope im gonna enjoy this forum and all its goings on.  Cheers Guys YNWA

Welcome on board Gav!

I wish I couldgo to Anfield 4-5 times a year. I can only afford going once but what a fantastic experience it is everytime! This year I'm going to see the us v. the Mancs - can't wait after the last 4 games. Ooooohhh Sir Fungusson is up for a surprise I tell you!!

Hope you'll enjoy it here!! :wave

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #181 on: February 6, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
I havent read all this, but with the old Liverpool vibe coming back may I remind you poster  of a cliched , but true adage that stood us well......One game at a fucking time!!!!

Offline supaerheraw

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: February 6, 2011, 08:31:20 pm »
It's amazing, isn't it? Despite our awful season we still have a chance for 4th place.  :wave Says everything really, and anything can happen right now!

Offline Tooky

• Main Stander
« Reply #183 on: February 6, 2011, 08:33:14 pm »
stop it please...this season is a write of...anything good is a bonus....lets put the anti-liverpool behind us and look upwards eh ?

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 6, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »
I hope Chelsea have a run of results like after we beat em earlier in the season. It would be just so fitting for it all to crash around them again. Just seeing their players have little lovers tiffs on the pitch says it all. Id give Ancellotti another 5 games to get it right. If not, they're all going to be blaming each other and whining to the press non stop. Form goes, players get restless with the management.

Sure we wont win every game, but nothing says we can't bloody try. We've got Suarez & Carroll to come in and add options. Can't effing wait till next game and the one after and the one after. We're on the march boys. Let's just slowly do our own thing and not worry about anyone else. Be just perfect for little torres playing in the europa next season.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 6, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
One game at time yes but there's nothing wrong to dream and believe. And as long as we're mathematically not out of it, we'll always have a shout. More so in a very tight season where there's little to separate between the top and the bottom. If the bottom can beat the previously unbeaten league leader, then nothing is impossible.

Up next Wigan ...  and wishing for another 3 points
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 6, 2011, 08:35:45 pm »
Chelsea will have their minds firmly on winning the CL now and I'm adamant spurs will drop a fair few points. Bale's out injured, VdV will be saved for the CL run and Spurs' strikers haven't exactly hit the ground running.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 6, 2011, 08:36:10 pm »
4th will be very difficult but the fact that we're not in the CL will hopefully help us to a degree. Whilst Chelsea and Spurs have to think on both fronts we can rotate with more freedom for the Europa. One game at a time for now though. Don't forget both those have a game on us as well.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #188 on: February 6, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »
It's amazing, isn't it? Despite our awful season we still have a chance for 4th place.  :wave Says everything really, and anything can happen right now!

Says how shit the league is

Look at the total gash from us down - not a good team among them and barely a top class technical player

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #189 on: February 6, 2011, 08:37:24 pm »
stop it please...this season is a write of...anything good is a bonus....lets put the anti-liverpool behind us and look upwards eh ?

How is the season a write-off?
Talk sense...we have a good chance of winning the Europa League and qualifying for Europe again.
How is that a write-off?
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 6, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »
Neither Spurs or Chelsea are in particularly good form - and now they have Liverpool breathing down their necks. The name still has a bit of mystique to it, enough to apply a bit more pressure than Sunderland or Bolton. Both will also be tempted to start prioritising CL games in selections. Spurs have got some tough ones coming up, including several teams battling against relegation.

May 15th, Tottenham at Anfield for a CL spot?
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #191 on: February 6, 2011, 08:38:51 pm »
If we get into top 4, and the mancs get 19, I'd still say it was a great turn around for us.  I'm not worried about them.  The future is bright for us.

Same here.  I've actually already conceded it to them.  I just don't see them not winning it this year.  They've just been too consistent all year.  But fuck them.  They'll win 19 this year, we'll win 19 next year and then 20 the year after...and so on until they are just a little object in our rearview mirrors ;)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 08:50:44 pm by Salty Dog »
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #192 on: February 6, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »
Manhattan you swine, I wanted to start this thread. I just spent the last hour researching Spurs' Chelsea's and our own remaining fixtures

But yeah, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be setting our sights at a top 4 finish. Todays result will have a resounding impact on our already resurgent confidence. Heck, we just beat the league champions in their own back yard. And Stamford Bridge hasn't exactly been a happy stomping ground for us in recent years. Todays result really is poignant on so many levels. It really is. You can literally smell the sense of unity in our squad now. Finally our players are playing for the shirt and for their manager. If we maintain this for our remaining games, then yeah, we're going to contend for 4th
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 6, 2011, 08:39:04 pm »
If Chelsea and/or Spurs win their game in hand then it's a 9 point gap. We have done very well to get to 6th, but I'm not sure we can go higher. All we can do is try to keep winning and see where it leads us. What today's result should do is give the players the belief they can beat anyone. They must though be 100% focused against Wigan on Saturday, as we went to Wigan after beating Chelsea at Anfield, only to throw points away.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 6, 2011, 08:40:53 pm »
I'm not sure how much value we should put in the points that the 4th placed team has scored in previous seasons, given that not many of the teams around the top have shown any kind of consistency over this season and last.

I also don't think we have to rely on just spurs and the plastics slipping up as city could easily hit a bad patch, particularly if they lose Tevez.

We've got a big couple of months coming up with a lot of interruptions from Europa and international games, if we can keep some momentum through that period and topple a few of the teams above us along the way, the gap will close rapidly, and with Suarez and Carroll coming in over the next few weeks we'll only get stronger.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #195 on: February 6, 2011, 08:41:07 pm »
as another ex legend might say I would love it , love it, if we took fourth at the mercenaries expense and harry the barra boy!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Gav 30

• Boys Pen
« Reply #196 on: February 6, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
Welcome on board Gav!

I wish I couldgo to Anfield 4-5 times a year. I can only afford going once but what a fantastic experience it is everytime! This year I'm going to see the us v. the Mancs - can't wait after the last 4 games. Ooooohhh Sir Fungusson is up for a surprise I tell you!!

Hope you'll enjoy it here!! :wave

Cheers mate. Its only about a 3/4 hour drive so 5/6 games a season should be a possible if i can get tickets ok.
Im a Hearts season ticket holder in scotland and go to most away games but im more than happy to miss a few hearts games  if i can get tickets for anfield!!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #197 on: February 6, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »
It's a big ask, but with Kenny in charge it is possible. I think we have to take each game at a time and hope our rivals for 4th slip-up as well.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #198 on: February 6, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »
What today's result should do is give the players the belief they can beat anyone.

And therein lies the key. As I said, this result should have a resounding impact on the teams confidence
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Wot_Shanks_would_Say

• Main Stander
« Reply #199 on: February 6, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »
For me the best thing about this win and performance is it increases Kenny's chance of being here longterm. That in itself
trumps 4th place and champions league next year.  :D