Author Topic: BBC 'Decisions' on Match of the Day  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
BBC 'Decisions' on Match of the Day
« on: February 6, 2011, 07:22:59 am »
Plenty of things shown on Match of the Day. But what I'm wondering is why the penalty appeal after 40 seconds for Wolves wasn't shown?

Every other one was - why not this one? This is a regular occurance - a potential decision doesn't get given against Manchester United. It isn't shown and therefore is soon relegated into the land of 'it never happened'. I actually know some people that believe that Match of the Day is impartial and shows every instance. Incredibly, I also know some people that base their opinion on any particular game not only on the limited replay of the game, but on what the pundits say about the game - whether those pundits are from the BBC, ITV or Sly. Where does that idea come from? I've had a few arguments after I've been to the game to be told such-and-such 'happened' because that's what the BBC said on match of the day.

But someone, somewhere made a concious and deliberate decision not to show the Wolves penalty appeal. Why? It (again) altered the whole game. Why make such a ridiculous decision?
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 07:36:58 am by Andy@Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: BBC 'Decisions' on Match of the Day
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2011, 07:25:01 am »
I'll hold my hands up and say that I thought they showed every important decision in games.

I suppose that if the Mancs had won/it'd been a draw, it would have been shown, but due to the fact that they lost, they didn't see it as important to include due to Wolves winning anyway?

Offline chrissy mac

• Kemlynite
  • got my business socks on!!
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2011, 07:42:58 am »
i blame garth crooks!!!

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2011, 08:36:20 am »

This issue came up in Italy a few years ago.  The TV stations either werent showing replays of dodgy decisions favouring Juve at all.  OR, if they did show a replay, it was from an angle that masked the ref's "error".  If a camera angle existed which showed how bad the decision was, then that angle was never shown.

Offline R.A.La

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2011, 09:05:45 am »
Didn't giggsywiggsy kick out at someone towards the end of the game aswel?

Can't understand why the mancs are so revered by MOTD when the govan tramp treats them with so much disrespect.

Ah well at least they had a go at "rascally" ginger c*nt.
those people were scared off by the distress chatter and the organised internet terrorism campaign that was directed against people involved.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2011, 09:25:28 am »

Can't understand why the mancs are so revered by MOTD when the govan tramp treats them with so much disrespect.

Yeah. He could have gone for that.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2011, 10:04:12 am »
Yernited are favoured by the media. They are now and always have been. Look at Paul Scholes as an example. One of the most dirty players in the history of the game, yet his constant bad loser reaction when Yernited are losing including setting out to hurt an opponent on the field of play is laughed off by pundits the length and breath of the country as nothing more than a player who can't tackle.  Another example is Rooney constantly shouting and abusing referees to their face and nowt mentioned in the media about it.  And don't get me started on the infamous "respect" campaign. :no
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
I think it's a case of incompetence rather than intentional bias.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2011, 10:05:40 am »
What I have noticed is with ESPN and Setanta live games when MOTD or Goals on Sunday show highlights afterwards they are always fairly brief. I wonder if it's written into the TV rights.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2011, 10:06:26 am »
I think it's a case of incompetence rather than intentional bias.
It happens way to often for it to be incompetence imo.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline rushs-tash

• Kopite
  • "If you do X, Y & Z - Bob's your uncle"
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »

Aww, the little Ginger rascal the best English player of our generation - he's just a clumsy tackler and uses his hands to head in crosses - lolz, bless him

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »
There should be a 'Strange Decisiions Thread' on here.

But anyway - Is deliberate Handball NOT a bookable offence?
Did Scholes get a card?
Did Giggs for clipping Doyle?

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
But anyway - Is deliberate Handball NOT a bookable offence?
Did Scholes get a card?
Yes he did
ynwa

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2011, 01:02:50 pm »

Just watched last nights MOTD. I knew they wouldn't show the Giggs incident. Fucking knew it.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Does anyone have a video with the Giggs incident just so I can prove to my United supporting mate that it actually happened?

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »
O would expect the BBC to be less toward them, partly because Taggart doesn't speak to them.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Buzby

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2011, 02:13:20 pm »
What I have noticed is with ESPN and Setanta live games when MOTD or Goals on Sunday show highlights afterwards they are always fairly brief. I wonder if it's written into the TV rights.

They do take into account if a game has already been broadcast or not when deciding on how much time to dedicate to each match, along with a host of other factors. Perhaps not unreasonably, if a game has been shown live they work on the presumption that many of the people with an interest in that particular match will already have seen it.

As with all members of media, they are not in the "tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" business. They are in the story selling / entertainment business. As such, for any game they have to decide on the narrative they wish to use for it. Because the game in question had already been broadcast they chose to use relatively short highlights and they concentrated on the "league leaders finally beaten" angle.

If people are silly enough to think they can watch edited highlights placed into a neat story and form an informed opinion based on that then I suggest ignoring them! It's rather like someone watching an hour special on the Discovery channel about "planets" and then trying to debate an astrophysicist... I doubt the scientist would spend too much time getting upset about the idiot talking to them in that instance!
"If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them." - K. Dalglish

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
Anyone also notice that they only showed 4-5 passes out of 31 or Raul's Torres' goal the other week?  :butt

Had that been Arsenal it would have been replayed 50 gazillion times
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 02:27:11 pm by mackenziewall »
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline JoeD

• Kopite
  • ....is with them "lot" down the road.......
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2011, 12:06:21 pm »
Plenty of things shown on Match of the Day. But what I'm wondering is why the penalty appeal after 40 seconds for Wolves wasn't shown?

Every other one was - why not this one? This is a regular occurance - a potential decision doesn't get given against Manchester United. It isn't shown and therefore is soon relegated into the land of 'it never happened'. I actually know some people that believe that Match of the Day is impartial and shows every instance. Incredibly, I also know some people that base their opinion on any particular game not only on the limited replay of the game, but on what the pundits say about the game - whether those pundits are from the BBC, ITV or Sly. Where does that idea come from? I've had a few arguments after I've been to the game to be told such-and-such 'happened' because that's what the BBC said on match of the day.

But someone, somewhere made a concious and deliberate decision not to show the Wolves penalty appeal. Why? It (again) altered the whole game. Why make such a ridiculous decision?

I'd suggest expanding on the "people you know".

How can MOTD be impartial? They have an ex Everton and Spurs player that presents the show every week.
This season "we do just about about what we need to", not "what we want".

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #19 on: February 7, 2011, 12:43:51 pm »
What I didnt get is the programme straight after when they show the championship and lower league games - Ginsoaks son gave the BBC an interview.... I thought the reason he doesnt give them interviews is because of what they said about him son?!?!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »
What I didnt get is the programme straight after when they show the championship and lower league games - Ginsoaks son gave the BBC an interview.... I thought the reason he doesnt give them interviews is because of what they said about him son?!?!

That's his other son isn't it? One of them is a agent and I think it was about that one. I'm not sure though.
Think he should be fined every week he doesn't turn up for MOTD. Blatantly breaking contract agreements and nobody seems to give a shit.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
That's his other son isn't it? One of them is a agent and I think it was about that one. I'm not sure though.
Think he should be fined every week he doesn't turn up for MOTD. Blatantly breaking contract agreements and nobody seems to give a shit.

Didnt realise hed spawned more then one offspring
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #22 on: February 7, 2011, 01:09:48 pm »

He shits them out on the hard shoulder.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline TopKopster

• Anny Roader
  • Boring
« Reply #24 on: February 7, 2011, 01:24:19 pm »
Have we got some much ire to vent that when we win and the manc tramps lose we still can't just enjoy it and have to see a conspiracy round the corner?  We had a couple of decisions go our way on the weekend and nobody can say we weren't due them, if they had gone for the mancs there would have been howls of derision.  Just enjoy the fact that we won FFS and stop whinging about those twats down the 62.  :no

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #25 on: February 7, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »
Have we got some much ire to vent that when we win and the manc tramps lose we still can't just enjoy it and have to see a conspiracy round the corner?  We had a couple of decisions go our way on the weekend and nobody can say we weren't due them, if they had gone for the mancs there would have been howls of derision.  Just enjoy the fact that we won FFS and stop whinging about those twats down the 62.  :no

No.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: February 7, 2011, 10:47:34 pm »
I'd suggest expanding on the "people you know".

How can MOTD be impartial? They have an ex Everton and Spurs player that presents the show every week.

The people that I know that think Match of the Day/Goals on Sunday represent what happened in matches as true are invariably Mancs that seem to enjoy spending their time annoying me and then being made to look stupid.

Offline JoeD

• Kopite
  • ....is with them "lot" down the road.......
« Reply #27 on: February 7, 2011, 11:21:29 pm »
The people that I know that think Match of the Day/Goals on Sunday represent what happened in matches as true are invariably Mancs that seem to enjoy spending their time annoying me and then being made to look stupid.

Could not agree with you more.

I like to think we could go back to the days where supporters primarily watched their own team play and would follow/watch and take interest in other teams a little less.

In this day and age with the advent 24 hour access to YouTube/a Sky HD box/ Net forums/ Blogs/Multimedia applications/SSN to view any amount of footage of football games at your own leisure; it is nearing impossible.

To think back in the good old days one would have access to a newspaper (match report), a wireless (live commentary) and the opportunity to watch highlights of games once (if they had not invested in a VHS –  and god bless Des Lynam too) or simply stand on the terrace while supporting their own team.

We live in a different age now.
This season "we do just about about what we need to", not "what we want".

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 7, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »
Andy is more obsessed with Man U than they are about us.  That's a horrific fact.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 7, 2011, 11:40:17 pm »

He is supposed to be fined. New rules were brought in this season.
However, for some reason it took several months for the PL to get round to actually agreeing on what level the fine should be set at. Apparently, that decision was made 14 weeks ago.
Since then they've not enforced the decision as they're apparently still trying to find other ways to get Ferguson to start talking to the BBC.
Of course, quite why that would mean he'd be allowed to get away with 6 months of rule-breaking is anyone's guess.

Offline TopKopster

• Anny Roader
  • Boring
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 09:03:14 am »
Interesting this, Wolves had what the radio called a "stonewall penalty" not given against Arseanal yet on MOTD there was no sign of it. 

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:06 am »
I wouldnt let it bother you.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
Interesting this, Wolves had what the radio called a "stonewall penalty" not given against Arseanal yet on MOTD there was no sign of it.
Not suprised mate. I try to catch Goals on Sunday which shows the highlights in more detail. The pundits are slightly less c*nt-ish than the MOTD lot but still c*nts
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

Either did he.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
Did they show Rooney's goal, as it was the bestest goal I have ever seen!  Such brilliance, shuch agility.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
Yeah. He could have gone for that.

But he didn't Andy, I'm willing to bet any other player of any other club would have had a ban by now
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:20 am »
earlier this season Preston North End sacked their manager for taking them to the bottom of the Championship, immediately Man Utd asked for their loan players back and then a little later Stoke City asked for their loan players back. Nice to see the LMA in action
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
Andy is more obsessed with Man U than they are about us.  That's a horrific fact.

Well I suppose I am then, there is something going on and it needs to be sorted, I don't hate man Utd, it's their Manager I don't like and wether you like it or not taggart gets away with murder, for some reason the media are afraid of falling foul of him.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 11:35:28 am »
Did they show Rooney's goal, as it was the bestest goal I have ever seen!  Such brilliance, shuch agility.

So true

Marco Van Basten ,Robin Van Persie ... ... Trevor Sinclair dont even come close .

I swear Jean Pierre Papin scored a similar goal** goes to youtube**
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 11:37:11 am »
Interesting yesterday. If I'm doing stuff, I have the TV on in the background and more often than not, I leave BBC News 24 on.

What was interesting was that the Rooney 'wonder goal' (An overhead kick that he actually shinned and was lucky that it went towards goal) was shown again and again and all the other goals of that day were shown. With one glaring exception. The Wigan equaliser was shown and the Meireles goal was not. Again. Someone has decided to show every other goal of every game that day. But one. That's a choice. Not an oversight.