Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 238602 times)

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:12 am »
This is about a month old so maybe you guys have seen it already?

http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/25/one-hour-with-skyrim-finally-made-me-a-true-believer-hands-on/

Anyway, I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before and after reading that (and the posts in here) I went and pre-ordered Skyrim :D

Go out and get Oblivion.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:37 am »
Just pre-ordered, never played Oblivion as I was a console gamer for a period of time, still am but I have just got a new gaming rig from Overclockers.co.uk for Battlefield 3 (a battlefield experience just isn't the same on console either) and I remembered the hours of fun I had on Morrowind so I am keen for this!!

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
Just pre-ordered, never played Oblivion as I was a console gamer for a period of time, still am but I have just got a new gaming rig from Overclockers.co.uk for Battlefield 3 (a battlefield experience just isn't the same on console either) and I remembered the hours of fun I had on Morrowind so I am keen for this!!
Morrowind is more than playable now, especially if you download this:

http://www.gamepron.com/file/944/Morrowind-2011-Mod-Compendium/

Follow the instructions step-by-step and carefully and you have a smooth running, perfectly excellent Morrowind game.

Though I recommend dowloading another mod called 'weaponsuit', disabling the three 'betterweapons' mods, and using weaponsuit instead, because otherwise your daedric and glass weapons won't work properly.

As we speak I'm firing up Oblivion and plan to mod it up with a few graphical tweaks, 'obscuro's oblivion overhaul' and 'deadly reflex' in particular, I'll probably add other stuff (including a skyrim-like levelling mod of which there are many around - I think, in fact, Bethesda may have taken their cue from the modding community with that new system) but deadly reflex in particular just looks like all sorts of awesome, from the looks of it it gives Oblivion better combat than any other RPG I've played other than the witcher games, where Oblivion/Morrowind already (for me) win hands-down for stuff like immersion, freedom, quality of game world and even the role-playing aspect (I actually would rather have no structured character thus giving me a blank slate to imagine upon then a main character I struggle to actually like that much, which happens in a lot of the bioware games, brilliant though they are).

If you are getting Oblivion I think this is a really good starting point for making it better:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/16/ten-essential-oblivion-mods/

Where this is a more comprehensive but also very interesting looking modlist, that I think I'm going to be basing my choices on:

https://sites.google.com/site/ballofflame/balloffire'soblivionmodlist

If nothing else I think everyone playing or planning to play Oblivion really should install Deadly Reflex. It really does look utterly badass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRtwkmgptQ
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2011, 06:31:47 am »
Would definitely recommend going through Oblivion without the huge mods first.  Definitely install the Unofficial patch as it'll fix a lot of bugs. Install the Keyring mod to hide all the keys you eventually get that slow down your inventory screen load times and the purse of wonders mod so you can carry tons of shit with no regard for encumberance.  Anything else for the first run is blasphemy.  :)

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2513425/35101390/

There's a nice torrent for Oblivion with all the official DLC, a .PDF Primaguide walkthrough, and Daemon tools (I think).  Just downloaded that a couple days ago and started another playthrough.  I think this will be my 12th time going through this and in the 13 or so hours already in I have already run across shit I haven't seen in the previous times of playing.  I love this game...  Skyrim better be the shit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:41:17 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:49 am »
Would definitely recommend going through Oblivion without the huge mods first.  Definitely install the Unofficial patch as it'll fix a lot of bugs. Install the Keyring mod to hide all the keys you eventually get that slow down your inventory screen load times and the purse of wonders mod so you can carry tons of shit with no regard for encumberance.  Anything else for the first run is blasphemy.  :)

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2513425/35101390/

There's a nice torrent for Oblivion with all the official DLC, a .PDF Primaguide walkthrough, and Daemon tools (I think).  Just downloaded that a couple days ago and started another playthrough.  I think this will be my 12th time going through this and in the 13 or so hours already in I have already run across shit I haven't seen in the previous times of playing.  I love this game...  Skyrim better be the shit.
Naah, screw that ;) At the very least I don't want to have the world level with me, I knows what I likes!

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:21 pm »
Naah, screw that ;) At the very least I don't want to have the world level with me, I knows what I likes!

That was a major complaint from a lot of people, can understand.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »
Just pre-ordered this with the strategy guide, cant wait  :)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:57 am »
As we speak I'm firing up Oblivion and plan to mod it up with a few graphical tweaks, 'obscuro's oblivion overhaul' and 'deadly reflex' in particular, I'll probably add other stuff (including a skyrim-like levelling mod of which there are many around - I think, in fact, Bethesda may have taken their cue from the modding community with that new system) but deadly reflex in particular just looks like all sorts of awesome, from the looks of it it gives Oblivion better combat than any other RPG I've played other than the witcher games, where Oblivion/Morrowind already (for me) win hands-down for stuff like immersion, freedom, quality of game world and even the role-playing aspect (I actually would rather have no structured character thus giving me a blank slate to imagine upon then a main character I struggle to actually like that much, which happens in a lot of the bioware games, brilliant though they are).

Have you ever played one of the "Gothic"-games by German developer Piranha Bytes? 1 and 2 were the best RPGs I have ever played, especially if we're talking about quality of the game world, immersion and freedom. I even liked Gothic 3 despite many people lambasting it, mainly because it was full of bugs. In my view, they piss all over Oblivion especially with that shite about the world levelling with you.

Online Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »
The voice cast list is out.. Spoilered it below (and I'd get Oblivion but I'm swamped this month and won't have much time to game)  :wave

Spoiler
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/27/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-voice-cast-includes-academy-award-nominees-and-wonder-woman/

Bethesda have announced the voice cast behind The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The man who voices the big bad from Pixar’s Up, Christopher Plummer will voice an elder Greybeard philosopher monk called Arngeir who lives “in silent isolation atop Skyrim’s largest mountain.” That’s right. One of the lead voice star in Skyrim plays a man who lives lives in lonely silence several thousand feet above the ground. Hopefully we’ll hear from him at some point. Read on for the rest of the impressive cast.

Classical character actor Max Von Sydow, who you may have seen in Minority Report and The Exorcist, plays Esbern. He’s an “agent of the Blades who has survived in hiding,” and he’s obsessed with the return of the great dragon Alduin, and “will teach you how to confront this epic evil.” He’ll be joined by fellow Blade played by Bourne Ultimatum star Joan Allen.

Lynda Carter, who played Wonder Woman in the ’70s show will also feature as Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, a Nord who fought dragons in ancient times.

Bethesda aren’t strangers to star power. Oblivion featured the dulcet tones of Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and Terrance Stamp. Fallout 3 had famous ‘man who always plays mentor and then dies’ actor, Liam Neeson (apart from in Taken, in which he plays ‘man who goes mental and later everyone else dies’). The difference with Skyrim will be the extended extra members of the cast who haven’t been nominated for Academy Awards, it’ll be those actors that will give Skyrim’s characters the variation that Oblivion so sorely lacked.

Here are the other actors Bethesda have confirmed for Skyrim:

Michael Hogan (“Battlestar Galactica”), who plays Imperial General Tullius, in charge of crushing the Stormcloak rebellion.
    Vladimir Kulich (“The 13th Warrior,” “Smoking Aces”) portrays Hogan’s nemesis Ulfric Stormcloak, Jarl of Windhelm and charismatic leader of the Stormcloaks, who aims to make Skyrim independent of the Empire.
    Claudia Christian (“Babylon 5”) joins the cast as Legate Rikke, General Tullius’s chief lieutenant, a loyal Imperial officer as well as a Nord who firmly believes Skyrim must remain part of the Empire.
    Diane Louise Salinger (“Carnivale”), Renee Victor (“Weeds”), and Saturday Night Live-alum George Coe (“Transformers: Dark of the Moon”) round out the star-studded cast of more than 70 different voice actors delivering over 60,000 lines of dialogue.
[close]

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »
Have you ever played one of the "Gothic"-games by German developer Piranha Bytes? 1 and 2 were the best RPGs I have ever played, especially if we're talking about quality of the game world, immersion and freedom. I even liked Gothic 3 despite many people lambasting it, mainly because it was full of bugs. In my view, they piss all over Oblivion especially with that shite about the world levelling with you.
I got into Risen a while back, loved it, and ended up completing it which is rare with me and games - it's the same developer (Piranha Bytes). I've been meaning to play the older Gothic games properly -tried 2 and 3 (the special edition one that came out recently) but haven't given them a proper chance yet. I liked the combat system in Risen though, pretty intuitive but with fights feeling much more engaging and skillful than Morrowind or Oblivion did.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2011, 07:13:16 am »
I got into Risen a while back, loved it, and ended up completing it which is rare with me and games - it's the same developer (Piranha Bytes). I've been meaning to play the older Gothic games properly -tried 2 and 3 (the special edition one that came out recently) but haven't given them a proper chance yet. I liked the combat system in Risen though, pretty intuitive but with fights feeling much more engaging and skillful than Morrowind or Oblivion did.

If you liked Risen you should definitely try G2. I played Risen a bit, but it never really had the same effect as G2 (i.e. me sitting in front of the computer for hours just running through the woods and spending my time)...

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:58 pm »
Game map and incomplete scans of the manual have been leaked...

Map
Spoiler
[close]

Manual
http://imgur.com/a/RFee1

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
What's 'Skyrim'...?

Getting a rimjob in the mile high club?
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »
I'd better finish my University application before this comes out.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:12 am »
Sorry if I'm late to the party with this observation, but I've only just noticed, while watching the demo video for the jizzillionth time, that you can actually see a dragon sitting on top of that structure in the distance. How fucking sausage-cream worthy is that shit?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2011, 07:37:22 am »
Will there be a change in the levelling system? Never completed Oblivion (maybe will give it another shot - have to dig out the saved files) because it became quite monotonic.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »
Will there be a change in the levelling system? Never completed Oblivion (maybe will give it another shot - have to dig out the saved files) because it became quite monotonic.
Yes, apparently so. The way you level is very different - much more skill based, only 3 attributes (so you pick from extra health, stamina or magicka each time you level, and you level based on how many skills you've increased...doesn't matter which skills, though you level up more quickly improving high level skills). Also the world doesn't entirely level with you. They said it would be more like fallout 3 in that respect, some areas will be impossible at the start, some parts ridiculously easy at higher levels. But some of it will level with you.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »
I literally can not wait for this.
Justice for the 97

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »
This is £31.47 to pre-order on Asda, and it says guaranteed for release date, for what that's worth.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:49 am »
I literally can not wait for this.
Yeah me either. It's embarrassing. PC gamer have a hands on preview by the way all, decent read, though it doesn't really tell you anything you couldn't already know/guess. The guard AI is still toilet, unfortunately. Also you still get 'locked' to the spot when you have a conversation, though you don't zoom in on a freaky head like in Oblivion, and the lockpicking is very similar to Fallout 3's. Slight downers from my point of view but nowhere near enough to dampen my ardour. Oh, and it seems enchanting weapons is done on specific alters. Bit of a shame - I was hoping the freedom of Morrowind would be back but it seems not. I hope I can buy my own altar.

As an aside, is there a PC gaming thread on here? There's one for the X-box but it might be nice to have one for the PC, especially for online multiplayer. I don't have a clan or anything so it'd be nice to have some people to try out BF3 with when it comes out, for example.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2011, 09:26:49 am »
This is £31.47 to pre-order on Asda, and it says guaranteed for release date, for what that's worth.
It's £27.89 from Amazon. Free delivery will arrive within a day or two of release for sure, often on the day. First class will get it on the day for sure and I think still comes out cheaper than the Asda deal. But then I'm an Amazonaholic.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
The Grand Theft Auto complete pack is only £5 on steam now, including GTA4 and tales from Liberty City. If you haven't got it already, that's absolute daylight robbery for a really amazing game.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2011, 10:02:09 am »
The Grand Theft Auto complete pack is only £5 on steam now, including GTA4 and tales from Liberty City. If you haven't got it already, that's absolute daylight robbery for a really amazing game.
Isn't this a Skyrim thread :)

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2011, 10:05:33 am »
Isn't this a Skyrim thread :)
Yes, but I couldn't leave that snippet of information un-shared.

To make up for it, here's the link to that Skyrim preview I mentioned ta few posts ago: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/18/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview/

Online Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2011, 10:16:49 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/lhyok/hey_reddit_im_a_high_school_teacher_and_received/

As the title says, I am a high school teacher. My history class will be reciting John Macrae's "In Flander's Fields" at the Remembrance Day assembly, much to their chagrin.

Yesterday, a student brought this note to me, written by her father, to explain why she would not be able to attend on November 11th.

Sorry, had trouble posting the note. Here it is: http://imgur.com/rhwHn

I laughed.

Sealed with wax and everything :D

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:46 am »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »
I've never played anything from the Elder Scrolls but IGN put up around 3 hours of this game somewhere at the beginning of this months. It really mesmerised me and I do hope that this game will prove to be very accessible for the likes of me that have never really delved in the intricacies of RPG games.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2011, 06:49:35 pm »
I've never played anything from the Elder Scrolls but IGN put up around 3 hours of this game somewhere at the beginning of this months. It really mesmerised me and I do hope that this game will prove to be very accessible for the likes of me that have never really delved in the intricacies of RPG games.

Well each successive Elder Scrolls game has become more and more "accessible" for newer players to the series, much to the detriment of long time Elder Scrolls fans. From what i've seen, people new to RPG's will have no trouble getting into it. Trust me.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:09 pm »
It's £27.89 from Amazon. Free delivery will arrive within a day or two of release for sure, often on the day. First class will get it on the day for sure and I think still comes out cheaper than the Asda deal. But then I'm an Amazonaholic.

Aye, but it's £38 on console on Amazon. Unless I missed it.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »
Aye, but it's £38 on console on Amazon. Unless I missed it.
Ahh sorry, didn't realise you were a filthy console peasant. ;)

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »
I had Oblivion on PC but found it controlled a bit awkwardly with a mouse and keyboard, although the mods are fantastic. Doubt my PC will run Skyrim though.

Cannot wait for it though, I haven't felt really engaged by a game since Red Dead last year. Debating whether to do a Nord or Redguard. Hmm.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:36 pm »
I had Oblivion on PC but found it controlled a bit awkwardly with a mouse and keyboard, although the mods are fantastic. Doubt my PC will run Skyrim though.

Cannot wait for it though, I haven't felt really engaged by a game since Red Dead last year. Debating whether to do a Nord or Redguard. Hmm.
Why not just use a pad for the PC then? Oblivion works fine with a pad, probably still looks better than console, and of course the mods, the sweet, sweet mods. If you get the wireless adaptor for PC (it's about £15 or so by itself) you can use your X-Box pads anyway - they've become the PC standard pad now so a lot of games work well with them.

There's been a lot of moans about Skyrim having the same engine and the graphics just being an update on Oblivion rather than a revolution (not that I really give a crap about that, it looks more than fine to me from what I've seen so far) and Beth are usually quite good with scalability so you might be in luck. Fallout 3 runs fine on my girlfriend's comp which has a 2.7gig dual core and a 9800nvidia card, and still looks tasty on the lower settings.

EDIT:
Having said all that it is all just so much simpler on a console. No having to install the pad, no having to even bother checking the specs etc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:32:28 pm by hesbighesred »

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2011, 01:28:06 pm »
I always forget you can use the Xbox controller for PC, might be worth a look. Especially given the games are cheaper as well.

Is it me or are these couple of weeks dragging like crazy?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:52 pm »
I always forget you can use the Xbox controller for PC, might be worth a look. Especially given the games are cheaper as well.

Is it me or are these couple of weeks dragging like crazy?
Nope, it's not just you. I finish a contract a week before Skyrim comes out. It's a testament to how stupid I've gotten about this game that I'm kind of hoping not to get another one - at least for a month or so! ;)

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
Have you guys tried Two Worlds 2? I've bought it yesterday and it feels boss. It will certainly help me pass the time until this comes out...

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »
Have you guys tried Two Worlds 2? I've bought it yesterday and it feels boss. It will certainly help me pass the time until this comes out...

Two worlds 1 was shite, completely put me off any future installments.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »
Kinda neat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYSfau5fDkU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XYSfau5fDkU</a>
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »
Kinda neat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYSfau5fDkU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XYSfau5fDkU</a>
Wow look at the graphics.  ;D
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »
It's alright. Fairly shite scripting and the combat felt weak - sort of cool but no 'meatiness' when the swords connect. I also really disliked the need for seperate uniforms for the seperate classes, though I did like that you could mix and match between them. The idea of the magic system was cool though.
Two worlds 1 was shite, completely put me off any future installments.
The sequel barely resembles the first from what remember of playing it.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:17 am »
Wow look at the graphics.  ;D

They are outstanding.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.