Author Topic: REM Appreciation Thread  (Read 22115 times)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
REM Appreciation Thread
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:52 pm »
Amazing band - a massive influence to so many indie bands. Their debut was the template.

The first four records were superb.

And New Adventures In Hi-Fi is also insane.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
Re: REM Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »
Amazing band - a massive influence to so many indie bands. Their debut was the template.

The first four records were superb.

And New Adventures In Hi-Fi is also insane.

Loved "Out of Time" and thought "Automatic for the People" was one of the best albums ever.

Had a belter CD years ago called "Automatic Baby" where Michael stipe swapped places with Bono to perform some of the biggest songs by REM and U2. Lost it years ago, and have never been able to get hold of it since, but i remember Michael Stipe singing "One" and it sounded better than the U2 version.

INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »
For some strange reason I really liked the UP album.
Also FREQUENCIES 2000 is also too cool, some great covers there and very raw and honest.

Love their lyrics a lot, no matter the album, they are never trivial or bad.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:33:10 pm by Zlopasha »

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »
They've some immense tunes.

They still together?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »
Loved "Out of Time" and thought "Automatic for the People" was one of the best albums ever.

Had a belter CD years ago called "Automatic Baby" where Michael stipe swapped places with Bono to perform some of the biggest songs by REM and U2. Lost it years ago, and have never been able to get hold of it since, but i remember Michael Stipe singing "One" and it sounded better than the U2 version.

I could make a U2 song sound better though!!
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:31:32 pm »

They still together?

Yes - new album out in February.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:00:12 pm »

They still together?

Great band, but they should have split up after New Adventures in Hi Fi, when Bill Berry left. It's all been a bit ordinary ever since. Recently got the re-release of Life's Rich Pageant. Can't decide whether that or Document is their best.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:04 pm »
Great band, but they should have split up after New Adventures in Hi Fi, when Bill Berry left. It's all been a bit ordinary ever since. Recently got the re-release of Life's Rich Pageant. Can't decide whether that or Document is their best.

Life's Rich Pageant is brilliant.

Picked it up on vinyl last week. Original copy in mint condition.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:29:11 pm »
Life's Rich Pageant is brilliant.

One of my favourite albums of all time.  I don't know what it is about it, but that record always sounds incredible fresh whenever I listen to it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »
Loved everything up to and including New Adventures in Hi Fi,

Hardly a dip in quality up to that point which must be at lest 10 albums?

New Adventures in HI Fi probably my favourite of all,

Saw them at Glastonbury a few years back, wasnt expecting much,  Brilliant!
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »
Loved everything up to and including New Adventures in Hi Fi,

Hardly a dip in quality up to that point which must be at lest 10 albums?

New Adventures in HI Fi probably my favourite of all,

Saw them at Glastonbury a few years back, wasnt expecting much,  Brilliant!

Why were you not expecting much if you love them up to 2003ish?

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
It was after the drummer had left, I thought they might just go through the motions,

His opening words set the tone for the Gig.

"Were REM and its Business as usual"

Put on a really good show.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2010, 03:06:30 am »
Murmur owns. Perfect Circle is one of the finest tunes they've written, imo.

I know it copped a caning, but I'm really into 'Around The Sun' as well. Pretty fucking good record.

Would it be fair to say The National could become "The new REM"?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2010, 09:02:41 am »
Murmur owns. Perfect Circle is one of the finest tunes they've written, imo.

I know it copped a caning, but I'm really into 'Around The Sun' as well. Pretty fucking good record.

Would it be fair to say The National could become "The new REM"?

Was thinking that last night.

Think The National's next record will be huge.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »
I came in at Lifes Rich Pageant when Q likened them to The Band.

After buying the album, whilst i could see why the comparisons had been made, they were, of course, nothing like The Band.

But LRP had such incredible riches like Begin, Fall on Me and Cuyahooga that I was soon backtracking to Murmur, Reckoning and Fables and what a treasure trove they proved to be. For a year or so I scarcely listened to anything else but those 4 albums and Chronic Town.

As regards their best work?

Personally I'm always drawn to those first four albums. Of those I don't think you can get past Murmur as an artistic pinnacle. It is so cohesive and balanced. In fact it's probably the most perfect an album I've ever heard bar Astral weeks and The Brown album. Nine of the songs are beyond words. The remaining three are just excellent.

That said, Murmur is I'd say at least equalled in one way by Reckoning with its perfect opening quartet of Harbourcoat, 7 Chinese Bros, So Central rain and pretty persuasion [the last of which sounds as if it is straight out of the Murmur beyond words nine]. Also my favourite Stipe vocal ever is on Fables with his amazing performance on  the fabulous 'Life and how to Live it'.

And yet, if I'm being totally honest I do have to say that Automatic will probably go down as their crowning achievement. It is the album where they really demonstrated to all and sundry just what an immense musical force they had evolved into. the quality simply oozes from every track. An album to rank with any. by anybody by whatever criterion you care to name. 

One final thing on REM. REM also saw me being a real pain in the butt music snob for I hope the only time ever. A work colleague who was a lukewarm music fan began to say how much he and his wife were enjoying the Out of Time album which had just come out and which as REM followers know was the groups major commercial breakthrough. I still cringe to this day as in real know-all fashion I dismissed that fabulous album as a sell out and advised him to get into some real REM music. Cringe cringe.

Anyroad, Nick thanks for the opening post. I haven't played an REM album since I bought Around The Sun about 6 years ago. . Played it once and haven't listened since. I'll now be putting that right.

:)   

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 1, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »
One final thing on REM. REM also saw me being a real pain in the butt music snob for I hope the only time ever. A work colleague who was a lukewarm music fan began to say how much he and his wife were enjoying the Out of Time album which had just come out and which as REM followers know was the groups major commercial breakthrough. I still cringe to this day as in real know-all fashion I dismissed that fabulous album as a sell out and advised him to get into some real REM music. Cringe cringe.

You were right though. The first few records are way better.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16 on: December 1, 2010, 12:36:41 pm »
I came in at Lifes Rich Pageant when Q likened them to The Band.

After buying the album, whilst i could see why the comparisons had been made, they were, of course, nothing like The Band.

But LRP had such incredible riches like Begin, Fall on Me and Cuyahooga that I was soon backtracking to Murmur, Reckoning and Fables and what a treasure trove they proved to be. For a year or so I scarcely listened to anything else but those 4 albums and Chronic Town.

Personally I'm always drawn to those first four albums. Of those I don't think you can get past Murmur as an artistic pinnacle. It is so cohesive and balanced. In fact it's probably the most perfect an album I've ever heard bar Astral weeks and The Brown album. Nine of the songs are beyond words. The remaining three are just excellent.

That said, Murmur is I'd say at least equalled in one way by Reckoning with its perfect opening quartet of Harbourcoat, 7 Chinese Bros, So Central rain and pretty persuasion [the last of which sounds as if it is straight out of the Murmur beyond words nine]. Also my favourite Stipe vocal ever is on Fables with his amazing performance on  the fabulous 'Life and how to Live it'.

And yet, if I'm being totally honest I do have to say that Automatic will probably go down as their crowning achievement. It is the album where they really demonstrated to all and sundry just what an immense musical force they had evolved into. the quality simply oozes from every track. An album to rank with any. by anybody by whatever criterion you care to name. 

Anyroad, Nick thanks for the opening post. I haven't played an REM album since I bought Around The Sun about 6 years ago. . Played it once and haven't listened since. I'll now be putting that right.

:)   

Amazing post.

Championing this band to so many people.

Those first four albums are so consistent. LRP is the best for me.

Got it blasting out now.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2010, 12:41:44 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #17 on: December 1, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »
Right on Timbo. Murmur does indeed rule.

I have to pipe up again in favour of Document. It often gets lost as the 'bridge' between LRP and the global conquering that began with Green (a great album too), but it deserves much better. Unfortunately One I love and End of the World have become far too ubiquitous, so a re-evaluation is quite difficult, but at the time to my young ears it sounded fresh, vital and good political rather than worthy balls-aching political. Exhuming McCarthy and King of Birds are two of their finest (work)songs. The latter in particular is among Stipe's best vocal performances and lyrical pieces. Just fucking love it.

Out of Time is the worst of the purple patch, mainly down to Shiny Happy People and Radio Song.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #18 on: December 1, 2010, 01:43:35 pm »

Cracking post. I've always been drawn back to them via Murmur. :wave

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #19 on: December 1, 2010, 01:45:22 pm »
ha, just followed my own link and Timbo pops up there too!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: December 1, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »
Right on Timbo. Murmur does indeed rule.

I have to pipe up again in favour of Document. It often gets lost as the 'bridge' between LRP and the global conquering that began with Green (a great album too), but it deserves much better. Unfortunately One I love and End of the World have become far too ubiquitous, so a re-evaluation is quite difficult, but at the time to my young ears it sounded fresh, vital and good political rather than worthy balls-aching political. Exhuming McCarthy and King of Birds are two of their finest (work)songs. The latter in particular is among Stipe's best vocal performances and lyrical pieces. Just fucking love it.

Out of Time is the worst of the purple patch, mainly down to Shiny Happy People and Radio Song.

You're right about Green and Document. Two terrific albums that do tend to get overlooked by being sandwiched. Exhuming McCarthy is a humdinger and I love heron house. Possibly marginally prefer the song style of Green but there's nowt in it.

Just a thought about me having Murmur and astral Weeks right at the top of my own list. I've possibly listened to both of them more than any other albums apart from the three 'B' s - Beatles, Band and Bruce. Probably runs into the mid hundreds the times I've played them. Yet I can scarcely sing a track off either album. And yet with a Beatles or a Stones or a creedence or a Band or a Brucie or most others I can sing tracks right through.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 1, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »
seen em live 3 times loved them in their prime.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »
Just listened to their new Album Collapse Into Now and I really like it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »
I like REM.

Favourite tunes;

Everybody Hurts
Losing My Religion
Automatic for the People
The One I love
Stand
Pop Song 89
Animal
#9 Dream

Favourite Album; Out of Time
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2011, 05:31:08 pm »
I like REM.

Favourite tunes;

Everybody Hurts
Losing My Religion
Automatic for the People
The One I love
Stand
Pop Song 89
Animal
#9 Dream

Favourite Album; Out of Time

You should listen to their new one it's on Extra Torrents.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »
You should listen to their new one it's on Extra Torrents.

Might get it. But I buy things :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #26 on: March 2, 2011, 05:36:12 pm »
I like this song from the new Album.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PN1YpMtPIpE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PN1YpMtPIpE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #27 on: March 2, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »
Might get it. But I buy things :)

So do I but it's not out until Monday and I wanted to give it a listen.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #28 on: March 2, 2011, 05:44:42 pm »
I love REM for many reasons!! :)
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2011, 08:54:31 am »
I'm currently working my way through the back catalogue in preparation for The Decemberists gig in Glasgow on Saturday night. I've already espoused my love of Reckoning elsewhere, but I'm currently loving that album all over again. Looking forward to the new album, and I don't believe I've said that since Automatic For The People.

Offline Convectuoso

• Kopite
  • RUM HAM!!!! I'm Sorry!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 4, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »
I'm really disappointed with the new album. It's terrible to be honest.
Later dudes, S you in your A's Don't wear a C and J all over your B's

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #31 on: March 4, 2011, 03:00:36 pm »
Saw them live almost three years ago and it was the best gig I've ever been in my life... fantastic!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »
According to their official website.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:53 pm »
Wow, a little piece of me has died.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 07:06:28 pm »
It's a shame, but I'm not surprised.  One of the greatest bands of all time.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1446

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

In their own words: The guys share their thoughts on why now.

MIKE

"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL

"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it.

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way.

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you.

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »
that's disappointing. Must be really strange for them to not be in the band any more, after all this time.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:35 pm »
A birthday gift to Leonard Cohen, no doubt.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:26 pm »
As a fan for I guess 20-something years now, I'm saddened by the news, but it seems they've come to their natural end.

I'm always bemused that they don't really get the level of respect that their body of work deserves. From the early 80s right through to the mid 90s they produced album after album of pretty damn near perfection: Murmur, Fables of the Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant and Document are all wonderful albums, and then you get to the more familair stuff: Green, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi.
All wondrous things; the only dud was Monster, which still has great tracks on it.

Saw them many times live, but my favourite was one of the Rehearsal shows in 2007 that they played in Dublin's Olympia. Great new stuff, fabulous really old stuff, beautiful summer's night, just what a great concert should be.

After the match will listen to Automatic again on loop.  Every song is superb, and the closing trio of tracks in Man on the Moon, Nightswimming and Find the River are for me my favourite group of songs to close any album. They signal what's great about REM - Michael's evocative lyrics and wonderful singing (never the greatest technically, but so much emotion on Nightswimming), Peter's great guitar work, Mikey's wonderful piano and backing vocals, and Bill's rhythm keeping it all together.

Cheers guys.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »
Fantastic band with a great back catalogue. Glad I managed to see them live once.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John