Author Topic: Which Airline?  (Read 117487 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Which Airline?
« Reply #960 on: July 3, 2017, 02:03:21 pm »
Flying on an Emirates A380 on Saturday, looking forward to it  ;D

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #961 on: July 3, 2017, 02:15:16 pm »
Anyone had any luck with claiming delay compensation from Easyjet?

Flew back from Catania last Friday and the plane was four hours delayed. Being over 1,500km away from Manchester and over the three hour limit I think I'm in for €400 per person.

The reason given for the delay was that the night before the plane had flown through an electrical storm and when it was started up the following morning it took longer than usual to pass all the diagnostic tests.

I can't imagine that this would fall under the "extraordinary circumstances" exception which includes adverse weather conditions as the adverse weather conditions in quetsion were the night before the flight?

I recently got compensation for a cancelled easyjet flight. It was fairly straightforward, flight from London to Belfast was cancelled as the plane didn't arrive to Gatwick from Newcastle (think there was a technical fault with the plane) and they put us on a flight the next morning. Filled in the compensation form on the easyjet website and got £216 (€250) about two weeks later.

The difficulty I had with them was the claim i submitted for expenses. I had to go and buy insulin because of the flight cancellation and they initially refused to refund it. I did eventually get it back, they don't like you making these things public on twitter.

With the delay time you have to be careful as its based on the time you arrive at your destination against the supposed arrival time rather than when the plane took off. I notice with the likes of easyjet they give themselves a good bit of leeway with the arrival times.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #962 on: July 3, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
I recently got compensation for a cancelled easyjet flight. It was fairly straightforward, flight from London to Belfast was cancelled as the plane didn't arrive to Gatwick from Newcastle (think there was a technical fault with the plane) and they put us on a flight the next morning. Filled in the compensation form on the easyjet website and got £216 (€250) about two weeks later.

The difficulty I had with them was the claim i submitted for expenses. I had to go and buy insulin because of the flight cancellation and they initially refused to refund it. I did eventually get it back, they don't like you making these things public on twitter.

With the delay time you have to be careful as its based on the time you arrive at your destination against the supposed arrival time rather than when the plane took off. I notice with the likes of easyjet they give themselves a good bit of leeway with the arrival times.

Cool, cheers for that. Depends whether the bastards try to argue 'it was the weather' despite the electrical storm being the night before.

Was aware of the time of landing point, no issues on timings in my case. In case this helps anybody else in the future, the three hour delay clock 'stops' not when you land but when they open the doors to the plane; there was an ECJ case on this not too long ago.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #963 on: July 3, 2017, 06:31:47 pm »
I booked a flight with Easyjet in September, and paid for specific seats right at the front of the plane with the legroom (and first dibs on the drinks trolley).

I've now received an e-mail advising they've had to change the plane so my seats have been moved to the middle by the emergency exit, so still have the legroom but now the inconvenience of waiting longer to get off.

Can they do this?  Surely the new plane will have seats at the front?!
I'd give them a call. It's not like easyjet have huge planes in their fleet so the seat number shouldn't even change that much. Unless they've overbooked it again as they usually do.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #964 on: July 9, 2017, 11:03:27 am »
Cool, cheers for that. Depends whether the bastards try to argue 'it was the weather' despite the electrical storm being the night before.

Was aware of the time of landing point, no issues on timings in my case. In case this helps anybody else in the future, the three hour delay clock 'stops' not when you land but when they open the doors to the plane; there was an ECJ case on this not too long ago.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #965 on: July 28, 2017, 10:56:26 am »
I looked at tickets, and what usually costs me 650 Euros, costs me 750 Euros now. And then I have to pay a credit card surcharge, I am allowed only 20 Kilos (its an international flight from Germany and I have been flying with 30 Kilos allowance for over 9 years now), and to end it all, I am asked to pay 30 Euros per flight if I want to select seats.

Flight fares I can ignore. Maybe it is so. But 30 euros to select a seat? And with a stop over, its 4 flights and 120 Euros, just to select seats. Absolutely farcial.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #966 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:09 am »
Which airline are you flying with?

Unfortunately it's getting more and more common with all these airlines enticing you with a nice low fare then robbing you blind with all these little charges. Jet2 just introduced a fee for hand luggage, to ensure you can put yours in the overhead lockers, imagine that! Next they're going to have a pound coin slot in the seatbelts in order to use them.

I'm about to book a flight with Etihad. Feels good flying with a proper airline again instead of bus companies like Jet2, Monarch, Thomas Cook etc.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:06 am »
Flew back from Portugal with Monarch recently. A guy few rows in front us had an epileptic seizure whilst we were about to push back at Faro airport. The crew on Monarch were bloody fantastic. They knew exactly what to do to help, and made sure he was ok. He eventually had to leave the aircraft. The crew told his friend exactly what would happen and they would get them on the next flight home once the doctors had given him the ok.

Flying with Monarch to Faro myself on Thursday.  Have always used RyanAir in the past but Monarch flights were much better times this year..

Hopefully nobody in our party will have an epileptic seizure like but it's nice to know they took care of the fella.

The daughters ex boyfriend is a co-pilot for Monarch so hoping its him flying the thing. They parted on good terms and he's an alright lad.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #968 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:28 am »
It was Emirates and from Emirates Website.

I understand if someone wants to travel light and hence wants to pay a reduced fare. But paying for the seat selection, I was shocked.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:54 am »
It was Emirates and from Emirates Website.

I understand if someone wants to travel light and hence wants to pay a reduced fare. But paying for the seat selection, I was shocked.

Tommy Cook charge for the seat selection now but its only £3 each. Well worth it to get where you wanna be.

They also charge for the premium films but their package holiday prices are really good and well below Virgin, Thomson etc. Its worth taking the hit and paying a few quid for extras.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #970 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34:40 pm »
Tommy Cook charge for the seat selection now but its only £3 each. Well worth it to get where you wanna be.

They also charge for the premium films but their package holiday prices are really good and well below Virgin, Thomson etc. Its worth taking the hit and paying a few quid for extras.

That's there. A little for comfort is ignorable. But 30 Euros per flight? On International carriers?

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #971 on: July 28, 2017, 02:31:16 pm »
That's there. A little for comfort is ignorable. But 30 Euros per flight? On International carriers?
That's truly ridiculous, wouldn't expect that at all from Emirates. If they're doing that with all flights, I won't be flying them anytime soon.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: July 28, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »

Yeah fair do's mate. Taking the piss a little agreed.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #973 on: July 28, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »
BA short haul now has no discernable difference from Sleazyjet/Ryanair.

Basic fare, no bags, no onboard service included, pay for seats.

Big mistake in reducing the service for short term saving imo.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #974 on: July 28, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »
Flew BA from Las Vegas last week, load of shit, terrible airplane (747-400 iirc) it was extremely dated, the IFE was horrid, lots of peoples screens did not work including my own and flight was full so couldn't change seat so had no entertainment for 10 hours.

Crew were all very new with the strike and forgot to serve drinks/coffee amongst other things.

Really shit experience to be honest, very disappointed with BA recently.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #975 on: July 29, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »
Flew to and from Thailand a few weeks ago with Qatar Airways. Fantastic service, comfortable seating, good range of movie/tv/music selections and very good food. I had an 11 hour stop over in Doha on the way back and they also run complimentary tours of Doha to help you pass the time whilst waiting for your connection, it was only a short 2/3 hour tour and we didn't see much but it was still great to get out into the city! Highly recommend them.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #976 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
Anyone flown with Qatar Airways recently? My first time flying with them next year to Singapore. Was going to book with Singapore Airlines due to the non-stop factor but couldn't stay on a plane for 13 hours, need a rest half way which is what I'll get in Doha. Plus, I get to fly on the two newest and most modern aircraft in the world (787 and A350) so for an aviation geek like me, it was like christmas.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #977 on: September 16, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »
Literally the post above yours mate :lmao

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #978 on: September 16, 2017, 04:05:42 pm »
Doh!  :duh How did I miss that

Heard great things about them and they're consistently rated highly on Skytrax so it's safe to say I'll be going in with high expectations.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
Doh!  :duh How did I miss that

Heard great things about them and they're consistently rated highly on Skytrax so it's safe to say I'll be going in with high expectations.

I'd say they were probably the best flying experience I've had. Much better than my recent trip to Japan with Polish Airlines; journey out they left our bags in Warsaw and on the journey back they only tagged them to Warsaw so that's where they stayed, food was horrible, movie selections were poor and the comfort (all flights were on Dreamliners) was far from desirable.

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #980 on: September 16, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
If you're doing a lot of flying and it's business then BA is worth it because the loyalty points add up quickly and the Gold card is worth having for getting into their lounges when flying short haul/economy. I've never had a bad experience in BA Club World – cabin service on long haul is different class to short haul. Once I got the Gold card I was regularly upgraded to First – once in every two or three flights. I used Emirates a lot before I got wise to the BA loyalty programme and they are good. However, I found that flying back overnight there was something really good about boarding a BA flight and feeling like I was almost home that I didn't get on the foreign carriers.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: November 14, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »
Quick one here, can you get on a uk domestic flight checking baggage with your driving licence? Think you can, am going with BA

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »
From the BA Website you lazy git.

haha doesnt mention checked baggage tho

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: November 24, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »
Just about to book flights from London to Auckland in February. Looks to be some very good prices, around £750.

But, who to travel with. Singapore to Singapore on a A380, then Air New Zealand on a 787-9 from there looks the most appealing, but I'm inclined to go Emirates A380 via Dubai given I'm a tall git and could do with the extra leg room.

Other options Qatar on A350s and 777s via Doha or Qantas on A380s.

Any views?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »
Putting this in here as didn't want to start a new thread. I'm going to Spain tomorrow to live and work. I've been given some leaving presents in work in the form of a three litres of gin. I was hoping to bang it in my suitcase. Weights not an issue I've paid for extra as I've tonnes of stuff to take over. Anyone know if I can take it with me in hold luggae? Cheers.. ps airline is easyJet.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #985 on: December 28, 2017, 05:29:36 pm »
^ yeah mate. I've just done the same with easyJet. Took loads of booze in my suitcases
All the best with the move

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: December 28, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »
^ yeah mate. I've just done the same with easyJet. Took loads of booze in my suitcases
All the best with the move

Perfect cheers for that mate, and thanks!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: December 28, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »
Really? There’s a 100ml limit on liquids so how does that work?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »
Really? There’s a 100ml limit on liquids so how does that work?

The 100ml limit doesn't apply to hold luggage, its only for hand luggage/carry on the plane. I've bought wine, jack daniels and other spirits abroad and flown it back in my hold luggage with both Easyjet and Jet2.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:07 am »
The 100ml limit doesn't apply to hold luggage, its only for hand luggage/carry on the plane. I've bought wine, jack daniels and other spirits abroad and flown it back in my hold luggage with both Easyjet and Jet2.

Yeah I misread it, I thought he’d said hand luggage and not hold luggage. I’ve brought a couple of litres back in hold luggage on Ryan Air recently so I agree that’s not an issue.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: June 6, 2018, 09:45:46 pm »
KLM: LHR-AMS-LHR

Original outbound flight cancelled due to ‘staff shortages’ the KLM flight I was rebooked on to was also cancelled, as was the one I was rebooked on to after that. One angry phone-call later, I was given a ticket on a pleasant and uneventful BA flight to Amsterdam.

Sure enough, my return flight on KLM was cancelled due to technical issues with the plane and my rebooked flight delayed by an hour. I won’t be flying with them in the future.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: June 6, 2018, 09:48:37 pm »
KLM: LHR-AMS-LHR

Original outbound flight cancelled due to ‘staff shortages’ the KLM flight I was rebooked on to was also cancelled, as was the one I was rebooked on to after that. One angry phone-call later, I was given a ticket on a pleasant and uneventful BA flight to Amsterdam.

Sure enough, my return flight on KLM was cancelled due to technical issues with the plane and my rebooked flight delayed by an hour. I won’t be flying with them in the future.

That's awful. Make sure you get your EU261 compensation if you were more than 3 hours late back.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #992 on: June 8, 2018, 09:59:16 am »
ADVICE PLEASE

Work are sending me to the literal arse end of the world for 3 weeks... The Falklands...total population 3000 - things to do after work...0

Anyway, despite my dread for the boredom it's a good opportunity so I am going, I am looking at flights and it seems the norm is fly to Santiago in Chile and then from there to the Falklands.

The bonus is that BA fly with a Dreamline to Chile, never been in one... I am gonna try to wrangle Business but my grade it's more likely to be Premium Economy at best... has anyone flown this route or done PE on a BA 787 - what was the experience like?

The flights are 14hrs40m to Chile followed by 7hrs to Falklands....FML.

Is this the way to do it or is there better companies...things to avoid...etc?

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #993 on: June 8, 2018, 10:07:35 am »
ADVICE PLEASE

Work are sending me to the literal arse end of the world for 3 weeks... The Falklands...total population 3000 - things to do after work...0

Anyway, despite my dread for the boredom it's a good opportunity so I am going, I am looking at flights and it seems the norm is fly to Santiago in Chile and then from there to the Falklands.

The bonus is that BA fly with a Dreamline to Chile, never been in one... I am gonna try to wrangle Business but my grade it's more likely to be Premium Economy at best... has anyone flown this route or done PE on a BA 787 - what was the experience like?

Not done that distance but have done BA Dreamliner to Cairo. In economy and very comfortable. Service very good and the aircraft feels very spacious.

PE will be a big step up as well. Club product is good and I have found the seats and service very good in the past. The flat beds make a massive differnece and I fit in them no problem and am over 6 foot and not small

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: June 8, 2018, 10:40:43 am »
ADVICE PLEASE

I've done PE in a 787 to the Middle East a couple times, and PE to Shanghai (unsure which plane) and it was good all times. It's nowhere near as comfortable or as easy to sleep as in business, but you get more recline and I found the recline was enough to sleep reasonably well for still being sitting rather than lying down. Definitely in comparison to economy anyway. The main meal will be a "business class" meal so a better quality one than economy. You'll have more space, and it'll be generally a bit more comfortable. In flight entertainment is usually pretty good on the 787s too. And it's a small cabin so tends to be quieter and more peaceful.

People slate BA, especially in the frequent flyer world, but their reality for travel is the Qatar Biz class product, and most of our realities are 10-across economy on a 777 :). I travel quite a lot for work and hols and think BA are fine, and would have no hesitation doing the Santiago flight in PE. I won't pretend it'll be the most fun you've ever had, but it'll be OK.

Personally think it sounds like an amazing opportunity to go and work out in the Falklands for a while. Enjoy it and bring us all back a penguin.  :wave
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #995 on: June 8, 2018, 11:20:05 am »
I've done PE in a 787 to the Middle East a couple times, and PE to Shanghai (unsure which plane) and it was good all times. It's nowhere near as comfortable or as easy to sleep as in business, but you get more recline and I found the recline was enough to sleep reasonably well for still being sitting rather than lying down. Definitely in comparison to economy anyway. The main meal will be a "business class" meal so a better quality one than economy. You'll have more space, and it'll be generally a bit more comfortable. In flight entertainment is usually pretty good on the 787s too. And it's a small cabin so tends to be quieter and more peaceful.

People slate BA, especially in the frequent flyer world, but their reality for travel is the Qatar Biz class product, and most of our realities are 10-across economy on a 777 :). I travel quite a lot for work and hols and think BA are fine, and would have no hesitation doing the Santiago flight in PE. I won't pretend it'll be the most fun you've ever had, but it'll be OK.

Personally think it sounds like an amazing opportunity to go and work out in the Falklands for a while. Enjoy it and bring us all back a penguin.  :wave

Thanks for the info... no longer required, I am not SUPER excited to be going because.... I am going with the RAF :D

Going on the RAF Voyager (a converted A330 into MRTT) I am a huge military aviation nerd so this is amazing, unfortunately that means zero comforts and no avios lol but it also means you fly a 16 hour flight instead of 15 followed by 7 so it cuts a huge amount of time out of the journey which is so cool.

I am a bit gutted as still not been on a 787 but hey ho, one day!

Will deffo try to enjoy the opportunity, it's a good career move for me for sure and will be the furthest I've ever gone on this earth so it's pretty cool! Not much to do there but will try to take it all in.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: June 8, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »
^ wow amazing. I love researching this kind of thing (I live in South America so often try and suss out the cheapest routes). On expedia.com i was getting $2,000 USD for Schiphol to Santiago Business class but with 2 stops and a dodgy regional carrier for the last leg via Peru! So I think you've found the best solution with the Royal Air Force :D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #997 on: June 8, 2018, 12:06:23 pm »
That'll be good going on the RAF Voyager. You know in which section yet? As their VIP bit looks a bit plush  ;D

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: June 8, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »
Amazing going on the RAF Voyager! I'd love that! :D

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #999 on: June 8, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »
Flew to and from Thailand a few weeks ago with Qatar Airways. Fantastic service, comfortable seating, good range of movie/tv/music selections and very good food. I had an 11 hour stop over in Doha on the way back and they also run complimentary tours of Doha to help you pass the time whilst waiting for your connection, it was only a short 2/3 hour tour and we didn't see much but it was still great to get out into the city! Highly recommend them.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I work for QR and the product really is second to none
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018