Author Topic: Which Airline?  (Read 117493 times)

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Which Airline?
« Reply #1000 on: June 8, 2018, 03:15:18 pm »
Amazing going on the RAF Voyager! I'd love that! :D

That'll be good going on the RAF Voyager. You know in which section yet? As their VIP bit looks a bit plush  ;D

Yeah so excited, as a visitor of RIAT and other displays this got me very excited!!

No idea on seating position yet but I very much it will be VIP, I got told from our local CEO it's like premium economy sort of standard where he went.

I'll take pics anyway in case anyone is interested and post on my return, pretty sure you're allowed to... I think.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1001 on: August 15, 2018, 10:29:54 am »
Anyone ever flown with Oman Air? If so what are they like? How do they compare to Qatar Airways for example?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1002 on: August 16, 2018, 07:16:22 pm »
Norwegian. Brilliant. New planes. Pictures of famous people on the tail fin. Great crew. Took off on time. What more do you want ?

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: August 17, 2018, 12:44:30 pm »
Anyone ever flown with Oman Air? If so what are they like? How do they compare to Qatar Airways for example?

I've flown short haul in the Gulf with them, and thought they were quite good. I think we had a new-ish A330 with great in-flight entertainment for what was a relatively short flight. I'm not sure there are many airlines that compete with Qatar, though. But as ever with airlines, it is route and plane dependent. I would guess that a Heathrow-Muscat flight on Oman Air would be good, but might not expect as much from the onward flight (if there is one).

Been looking for convenient flights to Croatia this week and interestingly the best balance of not paying a fortune and good flight times was Thomas Cook. Never flown with a 'holiday' company before so will be interesting to see what difference if any there is between them a more traditional carrier.

Already been offered a James Martin gourmet meal for £4 on board ;D

Croatia is fucking awful for reasonable flights. We're going in to Sarajevo and back from Dubrovnik in a few weeks, and it's extortionate for what are relatively short flights. Going with Lufthansa, but booked ages ago. My brother left it later to book and couldn't find anything remotely reasonable back to the UK so is having to go via a day in Vienna to make it work price-wise. Let us know how the Thomas Cook experience is. I see quite good deals from them every now and then, but yet to take the plunge!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1004 on: August 17, 2018, 03:48:44 pm »
I've flown short haul in the Gulf with them, and thought they were quite good. I think we had a new-ish A330 with great in-flight entertainment for what was a relatively short flight. I'm not sure there are many airlines that compete with Qatar, though. But as ever with airlines, it is route and plane dependent. I would guess that a Heathrow-Muscat flight on Oman Air would be good, but might not expect as much from the onward flight (if there is one).

Cheers - decided to book with Qatar anyhow. £440 Manchester to KL (return) with 2h lay over. £120 cheaper than Emirates and with shorter lay over.

How is the new airport? Last time I was in Doha it was at the old airport.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1005 on: August 17, 2018, 04:56:23 pm »
Cheers - decided to book with Qatar anyhow. £440 Manchester to KL (return) with 2h lay over. £120 cheaper than Emirates and with shorter lay over.

How is the new airport? Last time I was in Doha it was at the old airport.

Ah, nice one. I like Qatar. Food is usually decent (though very samey if you fly them a lot!) and IFE is excellent. Doha airport is pretty good, though can be a bit rubbish late at night. Last few times I've been bussed to the terminal rather than used the air bridge, but they're always quite efficient. Qatar would almost always be my first choice going East, depending on cost, obviously. Enjoy! 
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #1006 on: August 18, 2018, 03:01:55 am »
Norwegian. Brilliant. New planes. Pictures of famous people on the tail fin. Great crew. Took off on time. What more do you want ?

I flew with them from Gatwick to Chicago in May, and all went smoothly.

Fast forward to last Friday and I was meant to be flying with them from Gatwick to Boston. Initially they said the plane was delayed, and then an hour after the delayed time, it finally goes up on their website (and not on the boards at the airport) that it's been cancelled. The air side desk had absolutely no clue what was going on. It's another hour before we're shepherded back land side.

Then the help desk has two people to sort out the hundreds of passengers, but not with booking flights, just with getting a hotel for the night, and luckily I walk fast and was fourth in line, as I got a text an hour later apologising for the fact that they were struggling to find hotels for everyone. We get told to rebook or get a refund online - I had to be in Boston for a conference, and then an onward trip to Maryland, so try to rebook, but it's impossible. Their 'dedicated line' is in Norway so not covered by EU rules, and nobody picks up, it's just Katie fucking Melua for 5 hours.

The next morning I went back to the airport and went to the Skybreak desk, thankfully the woman on the desk managed to get me on a BA flight that evening. Talking to other people at the conference, and having had a look at Twitter, it seems they cancel quite a few flights and a common theme is the shoddy customer service. Cancellations occur, I get it, but to not inform passengers of what's going on, to not have the right advice as to what to do, and to have a 'dedicated helpine' that no-one answers is really poor.

Sorry for the rant, haha, I didn't realise I was still so pissed off. I've put in a claim for compensation but again, speaking to other people, I've got a better chance of flying to the moon than getting anything off of them.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1007 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:12 pm »

Bloody Nosed Passengers Gasp for Air on Indian Flight After Crew Fails to Pressurize Cabin
.   :o

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/business/india-jet-airways-cabin.html

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #1008 on: September 30, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »
Flew Delta airlines from Atlanta to Orlando last month,really good service,topped off by the stewardess who gave the pre-take off safety demo,she said the captain had said he was gonna fly the plane”like he stole it,and land it like he owned it”😂😂

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1009 on: September 30, 2018, 10:57:08 pm »
Flew Delta airlines from Atlanta to Orlando last month,really good service,topped off by the stewardess who gave the pre-take off safety demo,she said the captain had said he was gonna fly the plane”like he stole it,and land it like he owned it”😂😂

:D

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: October 1, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »
Flew Qatar Airways a few months ago. Thought they were superb but just don't see how they're consistently rated above Singapore Airlines and Emirates. For me, they are the top two airlines in the world.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: October 17, 2018, 12:22:08 am »
Flew Qatar Airways a few months ago. Thought they were superb but just don't see how they're consistently rated above Singapore Airlines and Emirates. For me, they are the top two airlines in the world.

Just booked our honeymoon with them in Business/First on an A350, looks pretty swish.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: October 17, 2018, 04:56:32 pm »
Just booked our honeymoon with them in Business/First on an A350, looks pretty swish.

flew business with them last year,, couldnt fault them, sat in the bar from Heathrow to Doha virtually all flight drinking cocktails
flying again this december with them

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:13 pm »
The A350 is in a different league, you're in for a treat.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1014 on: November 2, 2018, 09:31:32 pm »

A paraplegic man, dragged himself along the floor through Luton Airport after his self-propelling wheelchair was left behind on a flight, is now suing the airport.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45765767

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: November 2, 2018, 09:48:16 pm »
A paraplegic man, dragged himself along the floor through Luton Airport after his self-propelling wheelchair was left behind on a flight, is now suing the airport.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45765767

He didn't have to drag himself. They offered him a wheelchair, it just didn't have a motor on. He didn't want to propel himself due to fear of pressure sores (he's a pro athlete, so fair enough I guess) and they offered to push him so he didn't have to and he still said no as he didn't want to lose his independence.

I don't know why manpower (or woman power) is less independent than motor power, I think he's totally in the wrong for suing the airport.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: November 18, 2018, 05:27:53 pm »
Anyone on here flown with Aeroflot? Off to Krasnoyarsk in deepest Russia with KLM in a few weeks however 2 of the 3 flights are operated by Aeroflot.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: November 18, 2018, 05:42:59 pm »
He didn't have to drag himself. They offered him a wheelchair, it just didn't have a motor on. He didn't want to propel himself due to fear of pressure sores (he's a pro athlete, so fair enough I guess) and they offered to push him so he didn't have to and he still said no as he didn't want to lose his independence.

I don't know why manpower (or woman power) is less independent than motor power, I think he's totally in the wrong for suing the airport.

Also says in that article it isn't about money. I guess he'll reject any financial package he'll be offered/awarded then.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: November 18, 2018, 06:22:52 pm »

As a wheelchair user and frequent flyer this is a major issue.  With Motor power or self propelled you can control when you go, how you go etc.  With someone pushing jn what is called a transit chair you are completely at their mercy

So for example if there was a terrorist incident, you has the option of motoring or pushing yourself  to the toilet and locking it for example. If you are in a wheelchair that is not self propelling you are at the mercy of airport staff. Let me tell you that feeling is horrible.

The first ever flight I took I went to Majorca and my wheelchair went to Ibiza.  The paranoia of it happening again is there every time  I fly

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: November 18, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Anyone on here flown with Aeroflot? Off to Krasnoyarsk in deepest Russia with KLM in a few weeks however 2 of the 3 flights are operated by Aeroflot.

Just googled it - Sounds like an exciting trip - middle of nowhere like :D
(Sorry never been on Aeroflot - good luck).

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: November 18, 2018, 07:44:11 pm »
Doing LHR-SFO on BA in a few weeks. While the A380 is a great plane, San Francisco Airport is ill equiped to deal with 400 odd non Americans going through immigration, so I am taking a smaller plane.
Justice for the 96!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: November 18, 2018, 07:52:28 pm »
Also says in that article it isn't about money. I guess he'll reject any financial package he'll be offered/awarded then.

You guessed exactly right, ya big cynic you...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-46144079/luton-airport-wheelchairs-athlete-justin-levene-delighted-at-decision

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: November 18, 2018, 08:12:34 pm »
You guessed exactly right, ya big cynic you...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-46144079/luton-airport-wheelchairs-athlete-justin-levene-delighted-at-decision

Thats actually very noble of him.  I hope this raises awareness so that other airports drop the transit wheelchairs.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: November 18, 2018, 08:13:53 pm »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: November 18, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »
Thats actually very noble of him.  I hope this raises awareness so that other airports drop the transit wheelchairs.
Fair play to him if there's no financial reward.
Agreed

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: November 18, 2018, 08:20:14 pm »

I know he has made his own bed by saying its not about money, but do you not think this is a case where financial compensation was fair dues?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: November 18, 2018, 09:50:34 pm »
I know he has made his own bed by saying its not about money, but do you not think this is a case where financial compensation was fair dues?

No. Accidents happen. Luggage and things get left behind all the time. Going by what we know, the airline offered him a chair but he made the choice to reject that offer and pull himself along the floor. He didn't have to do that.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:46 pm »
No. Accidents happen. Luggage and things get left behind all the time. Going by what we know, the airline offered him a chair but he made the choice to reject that offer and pull himself along the floor. He didn't have to do that.

I tend to agree with you, but the chair offered was not sufficient. It happens to me every time I land in Manchester.  Just exploring a get rich quick angle :)

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:16 am »
I tend to agree with you, but the chair offered was not sufficient. It happens to me every time I land in Manchester.  Just exploring a get rich quick angle :)

I really sympathise with you. I can't imagine the extra stress it must cause. Airports are chaotic at the best of times, let alone without wondering if your chair will make it or not. Nightmare! I follow Tanni Grey-Thompson on Twitter and the hassle she has with trains is never-ending... and she's both a Dame and famous! Imagine how everyone else in a wheelchair gets treated?!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: November 19, 2018, 09:10:09 am »
I really sympathise with you. I can't imagine the extra stress it must cause. Airports are chaotic at the best of times, let alone without wondering if your chair will make it or not. Nightmare! I follow Tanni Grey-Thompson on Twitter and the hassle she has with trains is never-ending... and she's both a Dame and famous! Imagine how everyone else in a wheelchair gets treated?!

Trains only work if you book in advance.  A few occasions Ive needed a train at short notice and managed to get my ticket from the booth and get to the platform in time only to be asked can I catch the next one as there isnt enough staff to "deal" with me.  I usually just dive on and drag my chair up.

The issue though is Manchester Airport. They are supposed to bring my own chair from the hold to the aircraft. It never happens and a guy from Airport staff arrives with a chair knows as a transit chair. Basically 4 small wheels that the wheelchair user cant push or control in any way. Your whole being is in someone else's hands. Its a ridiculous and dangerous policy. I cant even help the guy pushing me with the doors lifts etc, never mind the fact I am completely helpless. I have been left a few times whilst the guy pushing me has to go back to the airctaft or something

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:27 pm »
Just googled it - Sounds like an exciting trip - middle of nowhere like :D
(Sorry never been on Aeroflot - good luck).

Cheers :). Yeah it’s pretty isolated but RUSAL are big enough to drag me out there, in winter and also missing the derby :no.

Travel time is about 17hrs with connections then a 7hr time difference.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1031 on: November 20, 2018, 03:21:44 am »

Flew from Bangkok to Moscow a little more than a year ago with Aeroflot. The plane was alright (I imagine your flights will be on smaller aircraft so it won't be an issue) but the flight attendants were a bit grumpy. The pilots, as you'd expect from Russians, were top notch though. They took off in bad weather and landed in bad weather in Russia as well and you wouldn't have even noticed unless you looked out the window.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: November 20, 2018, 08:28:35 pm »
Good points mate, thanks for the viewpoint. Would you turn down a transit chair in favour of dragging yourself along the floor though?

edit - now I watch the video and I can see they didn't have any (sorry for the probably ignorant term) "regular" wheelchairs, with the big wheels at the back and small at the front, that is poor from the airport. I thought they had those chairs and had ran out of motorised ones.

No to be fair I wouldn't.  The helplessness of a transit chair wouldn't be as bad as the helplesness of being on the floor. If something bad happends and the guy pushing you fucks off to save himself then the floor becomes an option then, not before.  Besides the other guy doesnt have 3 stone of beer belly to drag

For ease of conversation the wheelchairs you cant push yourself are called transit wheelchairs
 In the past  have refused to get in a transit chair and remained on the aircraft until my own wheelchair is brought up. Its not because I demand my own chair but because I hate the helpless feeling of being in the transit chair. I hoped by making this point a few times they would get normal chairs but thats not the case and its the policy of the company who have the contract to only have transit chairs.

:butt

Reminds me of a funny story.

I was leaving Anfield after the Seville game last year and all of a sudden shunk - my front wheel falls off after hitting a concrete divit, ball bearings and nuts and bolts scattered all over Walton Breck road.

My mate puts me in a wheelie position and pushes me on the back two wheels to the taxi that takes us to Lime Street. The Lime street staff then get a station chair to get me and my broken chair  onto the train and my goes home to Sefton Park. I was told that when I get to Piccadilly the staff there will get another station wheelchair that will get me to the taxi rank to get home

When I arrive in Manchester I am told that they dont have station wheelchairs. I know they are lying though. So I lie down on the concrete on the platform and whenever anyone from the public asked if I was ok I just said they wont go down stair to get a chair.  After 10 minutes of lying on the floor with the public asking if Im ok and me telling them there are spare wheelchairs downstairs, the two guys suddenly remembered they did have spare wheelchairs  after all ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:40:36 pm by Kenny's Jacket »

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: December 15, 2018, 05:57:01 pm »
British Airways Heathrow to San Francisco in Economy Class.

While other airlines are retiring their 747s, BA are refurbishing theirs. Having wifi onboard meant I could work in the air, when I did not fancy working, the inflight entertainment was also good. The service friendly and professional, the seats are nicer than those in the A380. Overall, as pleasant an experience as an 11 hour flight can be.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1034 on: December 21, 2018, 03:07:17 am »
British Airways Heathrow to San Francisco in Economy Class.

While other airlines are retiring their 747s, BA are refurbishing theirs. Having wifi onboard meant I could work in the air, when I did not fancy working, the inflight entertainment was also good. The service friendly and professional, the seats are nicer than those in the A380. Overall, as pleasant an experience as an 11 hour flight can be.

I flew on a BA 747 a few years ago and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had on that type of aircraft. In what way are they refurbishing theirs?

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: December 21, 2018, 11:35:33 pm »
BA have two different configurations for their 747s.

Configuration 1 - 235 economy class seats, old IFE, old seats.

Configuration 2 - 145 economy class seats, new IFE, new seats.

On routes such as Heathrow to Los Angeles or San Francisco where they can sell a lot of business class tickets, they deploy the Jumbos with the smaller economy class. On this trip, I flew out on the 747 and back on the A380. The Jumbo seats were comfortable than those the A380 and the screens were bigger. The WiFi was reasonably quick too. 
Justice for the 96!

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1036 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:58 pm »
I’m in the Middle East at the moment and this was brought to my attention today (I’ve seen one - I thought it was a parrot :D )

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: March 11, 2019, 10:32:11 pm »
I’m in the Middle East at the moment and this was brought to my attention today (I’ve seen one - I thought it was a parrot :D )

Seen it many times, it’s nuts.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1038 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:32 pm »

Files this away for when I fly with my falcon.*

*reminder to aquire such a falcon.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: March 12, 2019, 05:28:23 am »
Files this away for when I fly with my falcon.*

*reminder to aquire such a falcon.

Imagine TSA handling it :D