Author Topic: Who's really managing Liverpool FC?  (Read 17578 times)

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
Re: Who's really managing Liverpool FC?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:20 pm »
Pretty simple eh - I thought they wouldn't handle a 4th division team, you thought they would.

I was right, you were wrong.

Next time we go up against a 4th division team that's playing in their cup final, try playing Torres in goal, and have Jovanovic manage the team. Then when we lose, state that simply showing up against a weaker team means you "should" have the right to win.

man management is unfortuneatly something an actual manger needs to tend to.

As our players break down later in the season we'll be on here asking why we overused our stars/first team for the Carling fucking Cup.

And yesterday should have been a cup final for our fringe and younger players.  They were playing for places on the first team, and frankly their careers, so their attitude should have been just as sharp as a bunch of no talents that had a built in excuse to lose. 

Saying they should be able to win doesn't equal that they just need to show up.

Offline cgahan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »
Everybody has the right to an opinion. But that doesn't mean they're not often little more than simplistic, fanciful nonsense with no value or relevance though.

Oh and I fully intend to start learning the game, probably next year if I have the time.

I won't be bothering with any Jonathan Wilson (whoever the fuck he is) books though, I'm OK for doorstops at the moment...

Touché
In England they say that Manchester is the city of rain. Its main attraction is considered to be the timetable at the railway station where trains leave for other, less rainy cities. - Nemanja Vidic

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 07:51:13 pm »
judging by last night nobody!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 08:04:56 pm »
Can't argue with any of this to be honest.

I keep on saying that he's a nice man and not his fault he was catapulted to the heights of managing a massive club such as ours ....But, I'm finding it very hard to support him, and I've felt that way well before last nights fucking huge embarrassment.
I'm fucked off with the owners. I'm fucked off with the puppets the owners have employed, and I'm fucked off with the lack of effort and passion on the pitch.

We are fucking rotting to the core.

Sadly this.

Even though I made it to Old Trafford on Sunday I just didn't feel as gutted about the actual result as I should have.  Oh I was gutted alright, but during the whole time we were locked in that awful place I probably only thought about the result a couple of times.  I wasn't joining in the singing after hearing at least half of our fans singing Munich songs, so I just sat and thought about how royally fucked we are, rotten to the core without a doubt.

It is going to take YEARS for us turn this around, and that will only start AFTER we manage to find some competent owners.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »
Reading too much into it.

I think Gerrard has actually improved his corners over the past year.

As for playing deep, doesn't he actually prefer playing in a more advance role anyway?

Not-withstanding the wank tactics, Roy had every right to expect that team to beat Northampton. Like he said today, he's learned a thing or two about some of our so-called first teamers from that performance. They shouldn't even need managing through a game like that. We should have had enough quality and passion to blow them away even if Stan Collymore was the manager. He was let down badly.

I'm not defending the game, or how it was played, but I can understand why Roy approached it like he did.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline GinuWhine

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »
Roy Hodgson is managing the players and the selections and the tactics. He's just not very good. He wasn't very good before he arrived here and he's not very good now. I doubt there'll be a moment any time soon (if at all) when he becomes very good. We'll all showboat our traditional 'support the manager, support the team, support Liverpool' ethos, but Roy isn't a Liverpool manager. He's a Purslow manager. A Broughton manager. A compromise of standards. I support Liverpool. I don't support compromises, and I certainly don't support the lack of guile that was shown on Sunday, or the lack of leadership that was shown last night. This isn't Fulham.

Nail on the head. He's way out of his league.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:47 pm »
It's a combination of Purslow, Gerrard/Carragher and Satan.

I fear you´re not too far off...

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »
Who came out with all the shite about no-one liking us, and that Bruce and O'Neill had said stuff about us bla bla?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Johnathan

• definitely a real fan...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »
I don't remember you guys who are slating Roy for last night's result blaming Rafa for Reading.
See him touch Pepe's cock with his mouth :D

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:13 pm »
I hope and believe Mr Hodgeson is picking the team and deciding the way he wants us to play. I also believe he indentified the players he wanted during the summer and made his mind up quickly, who he wanted out of the club.

I hope people give him some time and start supporting the man.
We won it 5 times........

Offline Grushko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:17 pm »
I don't remember you guys who are slating Roy for last night's result blaming Rafa for Reading.
Short memory sunshine?
You are Always in our Hearts
You are Always in our Thoughts
We Will Never forget You
You Will Never Walk Alone

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:00 pm »

Stop trying to re-write history. There where plenty blaming Rafa for Reading. Besides last nights result was far worse then the Reading one.

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »
Roy Hodson is, what he cant perform is miracles in 5 weeks with a disorganized, disgruntled set of lazy over paid players he has to juggle.

I can honestly see improvements and most of them are roy's doing. Some of the players are actually looking like they want to play football. Once he gets his best team in his head and then gets them orginised, he can then start working on tactics per game. At the moment he has so much to juggle and it will take time to get it all to tick.

I reckon Jan/Feb you will see an orginised set of players that want to fight for a correct posistional place. Just in time to thrash the blue quilts.

Offline RedinExile

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:31 pm »
Winning things tends to give you wiggle room.

Besides plenty slagged Rafa off for that game. Were you one? He lost his job because of results like that (if you believe the lying twat Purslow).

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
Who came out with all the shite about no-one liking us, and that Bruce and O'Neill had said stuff about us bla bla?

hoofy

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:40 pm »
Roy Hodson is, what he cant perform is miracles in 5 weeks with a disorganized, disgruntled set of lazy over paid players he has to juggle.

I can honestly see improvements and most of them are roy's doing. Some of the players are actually looking like they want to play football. Once he gets his best team in his head and then gets them orginised, he can then start working on tactics per game. At the moment he has so much to juggle and it will take time to get it all to tick.

I reckon Jan/Feb you will see an orginised set of players that want to fight for a correct posistional place. Just in time to thrash the blue quilts.

I dont know what team you've been watching, but it certainly can't be Liverpool. If anything, we look worse then we did last season. We seem to of taken our really shite away form from last season into every game we play now. Home and away.

Offline RedinExile

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »
hoofy
Fuck me, was it really?! What for like? Dear oh dear.
I like the fact people hated us (knobs like allardyce and ferguson anyway). It tends to mean you're beating them.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
Fuck me, was it really?! What for like? Dear oh dear.
I like the fact people hated us (knobs like allardyce and ferguson anyway). It tends to mean you're beating them.

Link to the story if ya want it...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=820628&sec=england&cc=5739

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »

Fuck me now you want to blame Rafa for Reading what next have a go at him for Writing.

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:23 pm »
I dont know what team you've been watching, but it certainly can't be Liverpool. If anything, we look worse then we did last season. We seem to of taken our really shite away form from last season into every game we play now. Home and away.

Listen my main point is that it takes time for a new manager to make an impact. We may have to be patient for a change and actually give credit were it is due. Roy just needs time and the support of the fans. Sometimes I wonder who the hell can call themselves real LFC fans.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:51 pm »
Stop trying to re-write history. There where plenty blaming Rafa for Reading. Besides last nights result was far worse then the Reading one.

reading was practically our first team mate, at least last night if it wasnt quite a reserve team it was a `second 11`.
anyway those results happen, even when we were the best team in europe we lost in the f.a cup to the likes of brighton (twice) and chelsea, and that was when the f.a cup was up there with the league title and european cup in terms of prestige.

Offline Lizapool

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »
He knew the situation the club was in when he joined, and knew the way Rafa was treated.

Saying that, I dont believe anyone other then Roy picks the team, formation and substitutes.

Exactly. i think Roy made a big mistake by not putting some of our big guns on the bench for the Northampton game.  When he wanted to make changes he only had less experienced players to call on maybe that's why he left it so late.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »
We are fucking rotting to the core.
If I had more time tonight I could try to excuse our start to the season and outline many areas of bad luck that have contributed to it together with a plea for allowing a new manager time to settle in. However I'll save it for when I can do it justice and just leave it on reflection of the above line from Terry, and this didn't start in August. Something is minging and I can't how we are going to get rid of the bad smell.

Offline gandt

• Kopite
  • just lFC
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:05 pm »
i think you will also find that the new sports scientist and his team are having a big say in who should or shouldn`t be playing 2 games a week at this stage of the season

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:59 pm »
Hopefully hodgsons days will soon be over
Be careful what you wish for...MON is available and hungry for a job.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »
Be careful what you wish for...MON is available and hungry for a job.

as shite as he is at least MON would give some of the shithouses in our squad a kick up their arses

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2010, 09:14:29 pm »

Would beating a league 2 side be a miracle? Playing some decent football against WBA? Going to Birmingham and not being thankful we have a world class keeper to earn us a draw? They aren't miracles, I don't think anyone here expected us to be winning the league, but we expected an improvement in the team and how we play, even if that improvement wasn't reflected in league position. Playing well and losing would be a whole lot easier to take.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »
Listen my main point is that it takes time for a new manager to make an impact. We may have to be patient for a change and actually give credit were it is due. Roy just needs time and the support of the fans. Sometimes I wonder who the hell can call themselves real LFC fans.

I'd give credit if I could, but i'm struggling to think of any real positive so far this season.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »
Hodgson is managing the team but if, as I and others suspect, the disillusionment of senior players lead to the demise of the previous manager then it's pretty obvious he's going to feel inclined towards supporting those players.

Personally I don't believe anything too machiavellian went on in the summer.  I think Christian Purslow persuaded Hicks, Gillet and Broughton that Rafa had lost the dressing room.  I believe he genuinely thought all we needed to do was get the likes of Gerrard and Carra happy again and we'd have a pretty good pop at the top four.  He also thought the likes of Gerrard and Carra would be right behind the selection of an English manager and Hodgson was top of the list.  The reality is already probably starting to dawn for Purslow and Gerrard and Carra.  Football players need saving from themselves.  All it would have taken is a good start under Rafa and we'd have had the "Gerrard finally understanding Rafa's manmanagement" interview we had before the start of last season.

Unspeakably depressing we no longer have a board which protects us from the fickle whim of players and the media, worse still they indulge it.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
reading was practically our first team mate, at least last night if it wasnt quite a reserve team it was a `second 11`.
anyway those results happen, even when we were the best team in europe we lost in the f.a cup to the likes of brighton (twice) and chelsea, and that was when the f.a cup was up there with the league title and european cup in terms of prestige.

Reading where also a championship side who had players that had actually played in the premier league in their side. Northampton are a league two side(thats the old fourth division in case you forgot) that are currently 16 in that division. Thats some like 70 places below us. Also second string side or not, that team that Roy picked was good enough to win that game. So that for me was the most embarassing defeat i've seen at Anfield.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:31:43 pm by Mr Rossi »

Offline Lanrmort

• Legacy Fan
  • What were the skies like when you were young?
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »
Hodgson's doing it.

just not very well.
twitter: @mortoni

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:25 pm »
as shite as he is at least MON would give some of the shithouses in our squad a kick up their arses

And it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.  Football isn't about giving a kick up the arse, it's about being mentally strong, having belief and being tactically well drilled.  All successful teams, irrespective of style and ability share those characteristics.  Time after time you hear about Ferguson's hairdryer or Big Sam getting stuck into his men at halftime but never about a tactical change.  The only tactical switch our media understand is a very obvious change in formation.  We had a world class manager and when we've got new owners who will actually give us a prayer of challenging - I want another one.

If Martin oneill is our next manager it really is wrist slitting time.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:41 pm »

Reading where also a championship side who had players that had actually played in the premier league in their side. Northampton are a league two side(thats the old fourth division in case you forgot) that are currently 16 in that division. Thats some like 70 places below us. Also second string side or not, that team that Roy picked was good enough to win that game. So that for me was the most embarassing defeat i've seen at Anfield.

everything about last night was shite including the weather but no way is our second string losing in a competition the club doesnt take very seriously worse than our first team losing to lower league opposition in a competition we do.
some of the papers were trying to compare this result to likes of the worcester (who were non a league side!) and watford results, the big difference was though in those results it was our first team playing (though i think peter thompson and tommy smith missed the watford game)
it was an embaressing defeat but no way was that team last night the best team liverpool could put out.

Offline StiffieGee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:01 pm »
I think the OP is a little over the top, although I do suspect that Gerrard has more influence at the club than is probably good for all concerned, including himself.  Hodgson selects the squads and chalks out the formations and gives out assignments, with the help of Sammy Lee and the rest of the staff who've known the players longer.  He's just having a hard time getting what he sees to jive with the footy primer he's committed to memory from 1956.

But remind me: was Gerrard always Captain Marvel, or did he really blossom under Houllier.  I mean Capello.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
I'd rather Roy lost all the remaining games of the rest of the season, than have that classless goblin at our club.

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02:25 pm »
Please. The days of fan ignorance are over. Pick up a couple of Jonathan Wilson books, read Zonal Marking, and start learning the game. Do most fans know as much as Rafa or Mourinho or Ancelotti? Not by a longshot. But we can stop shrugging our shoulders and acting like we have no capacity to analyze our tactics, or worse, that we have no right.

This, in one simple, ignorant, self opinionated paragraph is all that is wrong with Football today.

Far too many people think that because they have an "opinion" that it equates to "Knowledge".

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »
it was an embaressing defeat but no way was that team last night the best team liverpool could put out.

No it wasn't, but it certainly was good enough to beat a league two side, or should've been anyway.

Offline Not2Xabi

• Anny Roader
  • AKA Glen Morangie - The 17th man of Tain!
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »

I believe that it was that famous philosopher Dr. Mick McCarthy who, when criticised for poor results and lack of improvement after taking over as manager of Wolves, said to his tormenters: "See this 'MM' on my track suit? It stands for Mick McCarthy, not Merlin the Fucking Magician!" ;D

I think that Roy just needs better writers! :wave
"People will generally only accept facts as truth if they agree with what they already believe" Rafa would have done well to remember that before trying to make everyone aware of the "Facts", which, in the absence of the Govan tramp down the East Lancs Road, should now be obvious to everyone....3 penalties in 1 game at Old Trafford - indeed

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:44 pm »
Who gives a fuck as to who puts Babel (or anyone else) on the pitch.  The ownership fight and concerns are clearly the concerns of the fans, and the players have not got involved.  That's fine, but don't go losing to Northampton and then hide behind something that you haven't given a fuck about to date.  Torres and Reina are exampt from this.
I don't care who's managing the club at the moment, chances are it may all chance very soon, but once the players are on the pitch it should not matter one fucking bit.

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:32 pm »
Basil brush