Author Topic: In match protests, it's time.  (Read 29446 times)

Offline lakes

• Anny Roader
    • Thurrock Paranormal
Re: In match protests, it's time.
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »
I doubt it - I'm sure Paul or Graham have said it's been voted down whenever it's been raised. Try dropping Paul or Graham a PM or email SOS direct.

well in truth mate i think things are building up so fast that other fans are not going for this sit and and vote on what to do next, by the sounds of it some are heading to do silly things outside RBS in london and looks like some are going to try and get on the pitch 10 mins before the game.

as for me......I think i will just about do anything now to make G&H sell the club.

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »
If Hicks gets full control of this club we are well and truly fucked. I would sooner the fans destroyed the club we love than let this fucker bring it to its knees.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:53 pm »
If Hicks gets full control of this club we are well and truly fucked.

Well and truly indeed.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2010, 01:32:46 am »
I know this is extremely far-fetched, but why don't hundreds of fans who turn upto the game ( I would but I haven't been this season and won't like many are warming to ) go onto the pitch just before a home game kicks off? All stay together, maybe hold banners, sing anti-ownership songs etc etc. I'm not saying everyone, but a set group of a couple hundred say. It would delay the game, get alot of coverage and definately get a message sent out everywhere.

I know people will mention banning-orders and whatever but even that cloud would have a silver lining: a few hundred less would be going each game.

Maybe I've lost the plot? I don't know, I'm just racking my fucking brains out thinking of how to help get rid of these pricks.

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2010, 08:34:40 am »
I know this is extremely far-fetched, but why don't hundreds of fans who turn upto the game ( I would but I haven't been this season and won't like many are warming to ) go onto the pitch just before a home game kicks off? All stay together, maybe hold banners, sing anti-ownership songs etc etc. I'm not saying everyone, but a set group of a couple hundred say. It would delay the game, get alot of coverage and definately get a message sent out everywhere.

I know people will mention banning-orders and whatever but even that cloud would have a silver lining: a few hundred less would be going each game.

Maybe I've lost the plot? I don't know, I'm just racking my fucking brains out thinking of how to help get rid of these pricks.

Because them fans will be banned from attending any future games.

Offline lakes

• Anny Roader
    • Thurrock Paranormal
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38:49 am »

if it was 10.000 fans doing i dont think the club would ban them. if the truth be told there would be many at the club and on the board that would like to see something like this to happen.

that said i hear that so far there only a 100 fans are doing the "make it happen"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:04 am »
Because them fans will be banned from attending any future games.

It is true that there is no painless action. But a future regime would almost certainly rescind the ban, so all that happens is that those who favour a Boycott might can do something useful before staying away.

The Club would almost certainly not press criminal charges for fear of creating Martyrs.But a camapign that stopped games being played would work in weeks, so many would regard it as worth it.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline relahni

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2010, 10:53:49 am »
I'll just chip in and say that a friend of mine went on the pitch during a match and was fined nearly £1000 - this was a few years ago.  Also, he was banned from attending football for a long time.

The ban, I could deal with, the fine! £1000.........................Expensive protest! There would have to be around 10,000 fans on the pitch over running the old bill. It could turn into a riot! LOL

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2010, 11:02:20 am »
I'll just chip in and say that a friend of mine went on the pitch during a match and was fined nearly £1000 - this was a few years ago.  Also, he was banned from attending football for a long time.
A few points, previously made.

Firstly the suggestion is a sit in before the match starts to delay/prevent the match. The Police and everyone is made aware that this is a Civil, peaceful protest. Civil , non-violent protests on private land are tricky territory for the Police.

Were the Club to press criminal charges the suggestion is that a fighting fund be created, the charge contested on the basis that it infringes our Civil Rights to peacefully protest ( never tested). It gets moved to Crown Court, trial by Jury. The publicity would be a huge boost for us, and a massive own goal by G&H. Secondly bearing in mind the "sympathetic" local jury Stevie G got, I would have no concerns about 12 Scouse Jury memebers finding them guilty.

The Club has far too much to lose from anything other than a ground ban.Given that the idea is for regime change in weeks rather than months ( n games being played) I dontthink that a Ban would be too onerous.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:15 am »
It didn't get lost it got deleted. RAWK will not be involved in pitch invasions. I have no idea who's sending that round but anyone going onto the pitch needs their head examined.
RAWK is entitlted to it's opinion but, in my opinion anyone who thinks we will get rid of Hicks and Gillett just by handing out leaflets and blowing up a few balloons needs their head examining and needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
The argument against in match protests has always been it effects the team

there is an enormous group of supporters that just want to watch the match and dont care about anything else

many if not all would prefer better owners but most wont do anything about it - many dont believe they can make a difference, some want to ignore it, others dont think its their responsibility.

the summer campaign of education seemed to work with some but it entrenched others in their views.

there now appears to be greater willlingness from some to ratchet up the protests but without majority support that will be divisive, unsafe and potentailly damaging to the cause

the pitch invasion is one idea but the potential for trouble and accidents is just too great in my opinion for our club particularly.

the ideas for walking out or arriving late again would be eye catching but imo would again be open to abuse and the potential for accidents would be high - imagine the field day the press could have with Liverpool fans involved in any kind of dangerous crowd incident.

That means any kind of crowd involvement would need police endorsement and appropriate stewarding very difficult for anybody other than the union to commit to that.

Withdrawing support, not attending and not spending are all peaceful protests which can impact - but again ideally these need to be organised - say a fund is created where money you would have spent on the game is held in trust - and bingo you habve the unions credit scheme up and running - Liverpool is our club - we support our club not the current owners.

Without supporters attending the game there is no business for Liverpool - the current owners could cause mayhem and chaos for a short while but they would have to sell eventually and at a loss - that is the truth of it provided Liverpool fans have the courage and commitment to make it work - any prospective buyer gets  a bargain  as it would be worth far more to them than to Hicks - and provided they treat the supporters correctly - and that includes fan representation on the board and a % of club ownership  - imagine what a new owner could tap into  - but first we need to organise and show the world that LFC leads the way , that it has the greatest supporters in the country - that can see beyond Sky , beyond the media and that genuinely we do not walk alone - we left the media completely baffled with our support of Benitez - we  showed that there is still something unique about us and we need to  build on that - Liverpool fans love being special , love being unique - we need to lead the way on fan ownership and if that pulls every other supporter with us so be it -

I dont see any way a pitch invasion could ever be sanctioned by the police - a peaceful protest outside the ground  maybe - the attitude has to change though it has to be seen as the wrong thing to do to attend - that its against the interests of the club - until that time its not going to work - and for that argument to be convincing it has to be clearly laid out why apparently abandoning the team is the right thing to do.

I know others are advocating more direct and more violent action - been there got that t-shirt - but I dont believe it will work at this time - it would be counter productive and more damaging to the club and city than even Hicks. 

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline lakes

• Anny Roader
    • Thurrock Paranormal
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2010, 12:18:40 pm »

The ban, I could deal with, the fine! £1000.........................Expensive protest! There would have to be around 10,000 fans on the pitch over running the old bill. It could turn into a riot! LOL

hey if they make money from the fine they might be able to pay off the debt.

Offline lakes

• Anny Roader
    • Thurrock Paranormal
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »
The argument against in match protests has always been it effects the team

there is an enormous group of supporters that just want to watch the match and dont care about anything else

many if not all would prefer better owners but most wont do anything about it - many dont believe they can make a difference, some want to ignore it, others dont think its their responsibility.

the summer campaign of education seemed to work with some but it entrenched others in their views.

there now appears to be greater willlingness from some to ratchet up the protests but without majority support that will be divisive, unsafe and potentailly damaging to the cause

the pitch invasion is one idea but the potential for trouble and accidents is just too great in my opinion for our club particularly.

the ideas for walking out or arriving late again would be eye catching but imo would again be open to abuse and the potential for accidents would be high - imagine the field day the press could have with Liverpool fans involved in any kind of dangerous crowd incident.

That means any kind of crowd involvement would need police endorsement and appropriate stewarding very difficult for anybody other than the union to commit to that.

Withdrawing support, not attending and not spending are all peaceful protests which can impact - but again ideally these need to be organised - say a fund is created where money you would have spent on the game is held in trust - and bingo you habve the unions credit scheme up and running - Liverpool is our club - we support our club not the current owners.

Without supporters attending the game there is no business for Liverpool - the current owners could cause mayhem and chaos for a short while but they would have to sell eventually and at a loss - that is the truth of it provided Liverpool fans have the courage and commitment to make it work - any prospective buyer gets  a bargain  as it would be worth far more to them than to Hicks - and provided they treat the supporters correctly - and that includes fan representation on the board and a % of club ownership  - imagine what a new owner could tap into  - but first we need to organise and show the world that LFC leads the way , that it has the greatest supporters in the country - that can see beyond Sky , beyond the media and that genuinely we do not walk alone - we left the media completely baffled with our support of Benitez - we  showed that there is still something unique about us and we need to  build on that - Liverpool fans love being special , love being unique - we need to lead the way on fan ownership and if that pulls every other supporter with us so be it -

I dont see any way a pitch invasion could ever be sanctioned by the police - a peaceful protest outside the ground  maybe - the attitude has to change though it has to be seen as the wrong thing to do to attend - that its against the interests of the club - until that time its not going to work - and for that argument to be convincing it has to be clearly laid out why apparently abandoning the team is the right thing to do.

I know others are advocating more direct and more violent action - been there got that t-shirt - but I dont believe it will work at this time - it would be counter productive and more damaging to the club and city than even Hicks. 

from what i understand its not a pitch invasion, its to WALK ON to the pitch 10 mins before the game and to sit down. someone has said that staff in the ground are not going to stop fans from doing, i have no idea where they got this info and the posts has been taken down from a news forum as thet were using as an ad for it.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2010, 01:52:41 pm »
there now appears to be greater willlingness from some to ratchet up the protests but without majority support that will be divisive, unsafe and potentailly damaging to the cause.the pitch invasion is one idea but the potential for trouble and accidents is just too great in my opinion for our club particularly.That means any kind of crowd involvement would need police endorsement and appropriate stewarding very difficult for anybody other than the union to commit to that.I know others are advocating more direct and more violent action
A few points.

Direct action will be divisive because the reasonable legitimacy for any group of supporters to try to take it upon themselves to oust owners who legally and legitimately own the Club will always be a fair question. You just have to decide which side of the line you’re on.

The suggestion gaining currency is for a pre match pitch sit-in which either delays, or hopefully postpones the match. That is not the same as a pitch invasion, and there are no extraordinary safety issues associated with it. 20/200/2000 from a third full Anfield at 2.30pm is not a high safety risk.

It would be impossible to get Police endorsement for such action. However, as has been covered elsewhere, the Police are on very tricky ground when it comes to dealing with non-violent, peaceful Civil protest on private property.

The whole thing would be filmed on mobiles. Sit in protestors would refuse to be moved by Stewards. If forcible means were threatened then the PROTESTORS demand that the Police remove, them, offering no resistance.200 protestors would require 400 ( 2 per person) Police “movements” that is quite a job.

The issue of how prepared LFC Stewards, our own, would be prepared to deal with a peaceful Civil Protest is another interesting one. As has been again covered in more detail elsewhere, I don’t think the Club would risk pressing Criminal charges. For if they did, we could then get the case moved to Crown Court on a point of law about the right to Civil Protest (It is grey uncharted territory), vue a massive cause celebre.

You are right to be concerned about violent action. But no-one is advocating that with any support behind them. The trick is to get the Law to work for us

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »
A few points.

Direct action will be divisive because the reasonable legitimacy for any group of supporters to try to take it upon themselves to oust owners who legally and legitimately own the Club will always be a fair question. You just have to decide which side of the line you’re on.

The suggestion gaining currency is for a pre match pitch sit-in which either delays, or hopefully postpones the match. That is not the same as a pitch invasion, and there are no extraordinary safety issues associated with it. 20/200/2000 from a third full Anfield at 2.30pm is not a high safety risk.

It would be impossible to get Police endorsement for such action. However, as has been covered elsewhere, the Police are on very tricky ground when it comes to dealing with non-violent, peaceful Civil protest on private property.

The whole thing would be filmed on mobiles. Sit in protestors would refuse to be moved by Stewards. If forcible means were threatened then the PROTESTORS demand that the Police remove, them, offering no resistance.200 protestors would require 400 ( 2 per person) Police “movements” that is quite a job.

The issue of how prepared LFC Stewards, our own, would be prepared to deal with a peaceful Civil Protest is another interesting one. As has been again covered in more detail elsewhere, I don’t think the Club would risk pressing Criminal charges. For if they did, we could then get the case moved to Crown Court on a point of law about the right to Civil Protest (It is grey uncharted territory), vue a massive cause celebre.

You are right to be concerned about violent action. But no-one is advocating that with any support behind them. The trick is to get the Law to work for us

You make some interesting points on this topic mate. This is definitely an area that I believe we should carefully consider over the coming days. Hopefully it will be raised at the EGM at the weekend.

It has the potential to have the kind of impact that cannot be ignored. By the club, the media or the FA. Its time for something like this to be done and I, for one, would be more than willing to participate.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »
How about people throwing rolls of bin liners onto the pitch just before the teams come back out after half time ?

1  They are relatively cheap and widely available to everyone.
2  They can be quite easily concealed.
3  They are unlikely to cause injury especially if done when there are no players on the pitch.
4  They are the right colour to match the Standards Corrupted shirts and black flag campaign.
5  They will hopefully unroll and cover a large area that will take several minutes to clear if enough people do it.
6  It should get lots of media attention, and make those fans who are largely ignorant about the situation take notice.
7  There is no conflict about not supporting the team as it won't disrupt the game when it is in progress.

The downside would be possible action as throwing things onto the field is an offence, but I don't think anyone was arrested or charged for the beach balls that were thrown onto the pitch that time were they ?

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2010, 03:28:11 pm »
How about people throwing rolls of bin liners onto the pitch just before the teams come back out after half time ?

3  They are unlikely to cause injury especially if done when there are no players on the pitch.
4  They are the right colour to match the Standards Corrupted shirts and black flag campaign.
5  They will hopefully unroll and cover a large area that will take several minutes to clear if enough people do it.
6  It should get lots of media attention, and make those fans who are largely ignorant about the situation take notice.
7  There is no conflict about not supporting the team as it won't disrupt the game when it is in progress.

The downside would be possible action as throwing things onto the field is an offence, but I don't think anyone was arrested or charged for the beach balls that were thrown onto the pitch that time were they ?

I do like this idea.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »
A few points.

I take your points and raise you one drunken fan or one lad who gets hauled to his feet and takes offence - a punch is thrown the police wade in, we try to protect ourselves and suddenly bedlam - the problem with  a mass protest is you cannot control all of the elements - -  we are not known for are pacifism- we are known to not back down from anything - this would be a confrontational situation and anything can happen

if we were all wearing orange and chanting it would be an option, or if we all wore big nappies and parised the mahatma it would be workable but we are talking football fans and probably a few who'll have been on the sherbet for  a couple of hours. I'd really get behind the idea of a peaceful protest but what would be the objective in this case - 10 minute delay and then go where? - would it be scheduled in which case Sky just ignore it or put whatever spin they wont to on the pictures - what would be the intent?

One fan with  banner would have the same if not a bigger impact - Tank man - Tianemen square style protest - walks onto the pitch lays down his flag or plants in in the centre circle (an iconic Liverpool flag RIP - maybe one of macphisto's cryiong liverbirds or the liverbird on the beach or even well and truly plucked ) bows or genuflects or kneels - for 30 seconds (silence)  and then walks off to applause chanting etc -

we need something dignified, but poignant and with a message - the police and stewards etc would agree because its not a crowd control situation or a safety issue but it is a photo opportunity, it is a moment of clarity amidst a pile of shite - we want the owners out - they have to go and we will not support the current owners. - the club then have to do something with that flag - when they remove it or take it down its anither trigger to protest - maybe we could agree that Stevie put it back into the kop or takes it to the dug out or something - anyway just  athought -

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:45 pm »
They wouldn't show a 'dignified' flag planting ceremony' and if a live match was delayed by ten minutes millions of people would know and want to know why.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »
I take your points and raise you one drunken fan or one lad who gets hauled to his feet and takes offence - a punch is thrown the police wade in, we try to protect ourselves and suddenly bedlam - the problem with  a mass protest is you cannot control all of the elements - -  we are not known for are pacifism- we are known to not back down from anything - this would be a confrontational situation and anything can happen

if we were all wearing orange and chanting it would be an option, or if we all wore big nappies and parised the mahatma it would be workable but we are talking football fans and probably a few who'll have been on the sherbet for  a couple of hours. I'd really get behind the idea of a peaceful protest but what would be the objective in this case - 10 minute delay and then go where? - would it be scheduled in which case Sky just ignore it or put whatever spin they wont to on the pictures - what would be the intent?

One fan with  banner would have the same if not a bigger impact - Tank man - Tianemen square style protest - walks onto the pitch lays down his flag or plants in in the centre circle (an iconic Liverpool flag RIP - maybe one of macphisto's cryiong liverbirds or the liverbird on the beach or even well and truly plucked ) bows or genuflects or kneels - for 30 seconds (silence)  and then walks off to applause chanting etc -

we need something dignified, but poignant and with a message - the police and stewards etc would agree because its not a crowd control situation or a safety issue but it is a photo opportunity, it is a moment of clarity amidst a pile of shite - we want the owners out - they have to go and we will not support the current owners. - the club then have to do something with that flag - when they remove it or take it down its anither trigger to protest - maybe we could agree that Stevie put it back into the kop or takes it to the dug out or something - anyway just  athought -

Vulmea, you raise fair questions. Picking up your points.

It would require a clear statement, in advance ( from SOS?) that we planned  a Civil non-violent protest. You are right that the potential exists for things to get out of hand, but that comes with the territory. Having, several dozens (??) protestors carried off would  produce a  hostile reaction from the crowd, others may even seek to replace those being carried off. A non-violent protest in this case is far more powerful than a violent one.

But the risk works in our favour. On the one hand the Police have a tricky problem with non-violent Civil protest on private land, on the other there is always the risk of larger disorder. So what is the objective? Ideally a  postponed game , or as long a delay as it take the Police to clear protestors in an increasingly hostile environment.

The Club would almost certainly look to pre-empt the threat of this by employing 400 stewards to protect the pitch from when the gates open – which in itself  might work, but would also serve as a catalyst for hostility towards the Board. Neat eh?

The ONLY thing the Club fear is “The crowd”, and 41,000 of us normally gather in one place every other week. G&H have used THEIR strength, their money and business practises to screw us. Time we started using OUR strength, our numbers in response and to use the Law to work for us, not against us.

With respect, one man and a flag, is neither here nor there.

Offline Millmaker

• Main Stander
  • Internet Terrorist!
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »
Why dont hundreds, thousands of fans show up in Stanley Park at matcdhay and during the match? Fill up the "New Kop" and make some serious noise. An half empty Kop at Anfield where the rest of them are standing at the new ground would have to make some impact, it has to be noticed if you make some noise.

That is a protest who even could turn out to be fun, and make you proud to be a part of. A big screen tv down there and you could here the roar of the "New Kop".

Also, you then decide for yourself what kind of bannners you would use, noone there would remove them and i am bloody sure you would get the media interested.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2010, 07:55:05 pm »

With respect, one man and a flag, is neither here nor there.

With respect it was one man and a flag in Tianamen square -

If this is a PR war its about symbolism - 200 people sitting on the pitch - it will look to those who know no better  small and irrelevant - one person symbolising all of us with 40,000 voices of support? I only thought of it this afternoon its not like I'm wedded to the idea and if there is a sit in I'll support it any way I can I just dont think its the right way to go.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »
With respect it was one man and a flag in Tianamen square - If this is a PR war its about symbolism - 200 people sitting on the pitch - it will look to those who know no better  small and irrelevant - one person symbolising all of us with 40,000 voices of support? I only thought of it this afternoon its not like I'm wedded to the idea and if there is a sit in I'll support it any way I can I just dont think its the right way to go.

Of course it could be both.And if you remember Tianamen square makes my point, not yours.

I don't think that you will find that having 200 sit down protestors, at the very least, delaying the start of the game, at best precipitating a postponement is small and irrelelevant,IF it could be achieved.

The flag idea is fine, just momentry, that's all. It can't make THE difference. The sit down protest could.

It s also easier to get one person with a flag than 200 sit down protestors.

My sense is that SOS with their planned action for Sundrland/Blackpool are gauging what numbers we can really muster. You may be right and we will be lucky with one, I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:10:29 pm by xerxes1 »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2010, 03:35:13 am »
Its a shame really as I can see for and against for a sit down protest.

If only we could guarantee that 1,000 people would do it, peacefully all around the ground. I mean its weird that we are so politically correct (for want of a better phrase) that I instantly thought "no way" when I first read the suggestion. But like Xerxes says, money and political manoeuvring has been used against us, our only strength lies in numbers.

I think dramatic action is required. We probably would not get much sympathy from the media but I think even our Manc brethren would feel hard pressed not to respect such action and perhaps even be slightly envious.

They've been doing effectively a black september for months. We need to go one further, the key is finding something the majority are happy with doing. I can already envision some clueless people booing a sit down protest. It would have to be a sitdown protest with banners etc, some pointing away from as well as towards the Kop
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:37:59 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2010, 09:07:12 am »
My impression is that the proposed SOS protests at the Sunderland/Blackpool games are intended to measure two things.Firstly how many wed can muster, and secondly what the reaction of the "neutrals" is. IF there is an encouraging response in both respects that provides a platform for other things, if there isn't it will be guerilla action only in future.

One of the challenges of a protest after the game is basic human psychology, the onus is on leaving the ground, and even three or four thousand people staying behind  (which would be good) chanting to themselves in an empty stadium can only be short term. Action while the match is in progress have two problems.Occupation/invasion is more likely to be treated as a criminal offence. Walk outs are wholly at the mercy of what's happening during a game.If the idea is to walk out after 15 minutes- and Stevie G has just scored a screamer with the promise of more to follow,no chance.

Which really leaves before the game, and at half time.Before the game has the advantage that the stadium is filling, not emptying and the game could be delayed/stopped. Half time might be even better.The stadium is full.

But I will tell you this. G&H LOVE the idea of match boycotts for two reasons. Firstly having the "committed" NOT in the stadium is ideal for them. Secondly they are replaced by casuals who will spend lots of money in the club shop.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »

I said a while ago that we should try and organise ourselves like the Italian fans do when they are creating mosaics, but just with bin liners, to black out the Kop.
I think your idea of getting them on the pitch is far better, it wouldn't require the co operation of as many supporters, because lets face it the apathy is fierce, and it would make a huge visual impact.

It is worth a try, we could literally just role the things down the Kop and throw it out onto the pitch.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Lady OOT

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2010, 01:50:36 pm »
Yes, I thought black bin liners was a good idea when someone suggested it a while back - (s)he had seen some fans protesting by holding them up and moving them so they made a noise - apparently it sounded awesome. 

I like the idea of holding them up to black out the Kop.

Another thought - if it's a windy day, those really thin bin liners could be opened to catch the wind by people in the first row ... to waft on to the pitch.

Offline tom87

• Main Stander
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2010, 06:02:33 pm »
To anyone saying that we shouldn't protest during the game 2 years ago I asked our captain, whether or not in game protest distract the players.  His response "No, we dont even get onto it, what is more distracting is that Chelsea have just spent 18 mill on a right back and it looks like we won't be spending a penny"
In game protests are the only way forward now, the marches have been done to death! 
Any chance we could get a big long banner at the front of the kop, ala "Ferguson 1, Paisley 3"?

I have swapped seats with my mate for saturday as he sits in the kemlyn on row 3 directly on the half way line, I have bought a bed sheet and paint if anyone has anything they would like me to write on it? Answers on a postcard.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »
So how (exactly) are we going to get ten or more thousand to stay behind after the game? Otherwise this just becomes yet another protest by a noisy minority?
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »
I think a sit down protest at half time would be a good idea. Doesn't disrupt the game and you bet your arse they won't arrest and ban the whole crowd.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:43 pm »
To anyone saying that we shouldn't protest during the game 2 years ago I asked our captain, whether or not in game protest distract the players.  His response "No, we dont even get onto it, what is more distracting is that Chelsea have just spent 18 mill on a right back and it looks like we won't be spending a penny"
Bang on.

Offline tom87

• Main Stander
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:30 am »
The right back was Bosingwa BTW.

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:48 am »
In game protests are the only way forward now, the marches have been done to death! 
Any chance we could get a big long banner at the front of the kop, ala "Ferguson 1, Paisley 3"?

I have swapped seats with my mate for saturday as he sits in the kemlyn on row 3 directly on the half way line, I have bought a bed sheet and paint if anyone has anything they would like me to write on it? Answers on a postcard.

Am on to the long banner mate, im doing 'out of the r£d into the black - yanks out', just got to see if i can get one who has a sewing machine and then ask them to sew the bed sheets together lmao!

on your banner mate how about LFC fans say NO to refinancing? or along those lines?

Good luck with the banner mate

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2010, 10:37:52 am »
The right back was Bosingwa BTW.
also tom if you are coming with a black shirt ot protest shirt could you make it to the shankly statue one hour before the game with you banner as well we want a load of people there for this, thanks

Offline tom87

• Main Stander
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2010, 11:45:02 am »
I havnt got a protest shirt yet, can I get one on the day?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2010, 11:52:45 am »
I havnt got a protest shirt yet, can I get one on the day?

Yes mate.
You can get one on Saturday.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2010, 11:55:15 am »
So how (exactly) are we going to get ten or more thousand to stay behind after the game? Otherwise this just becomes yet another protest by a noisy minority?

Horses - water - drink mate.
We just keep plugging away.

If we get beat though that should do what it usually does and focusses peoples anger on the ownership problem.
Sad, but true for a lot of people.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2010, 02:14:07 pm »
Saturdays action is a start, as others have said, things like the result can affect things. Even though there's a growing minority wanting something done, it's hard to get the word out to the majority of fans who don't go on the internet. From experience there will be loads of good lads who won't even know about the action on the day. The lads i go the match with never know about stuff like this unless I have a word. if the things not built then it can fall flat on it's face, hopefully that won't be the case. Wouldn't you know, the day we decide to have a staybehind I'm working nights and will have to get off straight to work.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »
Im not going to Anfield at the mo but i do have a shirt. This should be done at a key game that is shown on Sky. The protest must be done during the game so it cant be unoticed. Remember the 6 minutes for the 96. Cameras could not fail to pick up on it like it or not
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2010, 05:04:37 pm »
I think a sit down protest at half time would be a good idea. Doesn't disrupt the game and you bet your arse they won't arrest and ban the whole crowd.
A sit down protest in an all seater stadium.... erm???

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:16:00 pm by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...