Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 217911 times)

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #2680 on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:38 am »
So I started going to the gym in August of last year.

After doing some progress without following any program, one of the gym's personal trainers approached me about doing a program for three months so I said why not. I took a break in January but returned again and to be honest I don't see any results and whenever I ask him about my development, he keeps flaking.

I realize that he has every trait of a bad personal trainer, he is not a nutritionist so he didn't give me any advice on that front, but there is no plan at all to his training and he makes it up as he goes along. He does not keep track of my numbers and the last three times I met him, we did heavy intensive leg workouts. I mentioned that to him and asked him about the need to go that hard when I just tore my hamstring like a couple of weeks ago and his response is," let me know if it hurts you." He also looks at his phone a lot. First it was emergencies but I realized he was tindering while I am training and he is not correcting my style or telling my if I was doing the right technique or not.

The only thing he is good at, is sending me these Google calendar invites and immediately replying to me with multiple times when I say I am busy on a day.

I am binning him this week and I will cite my financial situation because he takes a lot of money per month from me which I am better off saving.

I have read a lot of good stuff about a program named Athlean X. A lot of former pro wrestlers said good stuff about it. Anybody used it before?

Forget programs. Make a routine to suit yourself and listen to your body. If you're sore don't risk injury. Move onto a different body part or change it up. All these programs are nonsense. There's no magic formula and these people are paid to promote them, usually with extra supplements that are essential to the the program. It's bs, just figure out what works for your and fine tune and hone it. Eat, sleep and train. They're the basics and unless you're a pro or looking to compete, I wouldn't worry about fad routines or the in program.

I know Athlean X's channel. He has some good tips but if you're just starting out you shouldn't worry too much about them. Stick to compound exercises and stick at it for a couple years. That boy has a degree in nutrition/fitness and whatever else but I'd bet the mortgage he's not natural. His agenda is getting you to buy his program. The fitness industry is a joke to be honest. Check out Bigger, faster, stronger.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:55:25 am by Marty 85 »

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2681 on: April 23, 2016, 07:29:59 pm »

I know Athlean X's channel. He has some good tips but if you're just starting out you shouldn't worry too much about them. Stick to compound exercises and stick at it for a couple years. That boy has a degree in nutrition/fitness and whatever else but I'd bet the mortgage he's not natural.
It's completely possible to achieve his body being natural. He's not ultra buff, just lean and trains a lot.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2682 on: May 8, 2016, 08:45:29 am »
Right, I'm in the market for a protein shake. I'm after a protein blend for sustained release of proteins, particularly as I go to the gym in the evenings. Ideally something with more WPI than WPC. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I've looked at a few but was hoping to hear from people that may have actually used some of this.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2683 on: June 3, 2016, 11:46:18 am »
What impact on body shape would running/cycling 4 times a week and going to the gym for weights 4 times a week have?
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #2684 on: June 3, 2016, 12:56:50 pm »
What impact on body shape would running/cycling 4 times a week and going to the gym for weights 4 times a week have?
A very positive one...

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2685 on: June 3, 2016, 06:18:29 pm »
A very positive one...

Excellent news, assuming lean rather than just bulky?

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #2686 on: June 3, 2016, 07:44:00 pm »
Excellent news, assuming lean rather than just bulky?
Not sure in you know but I am a keen cyclist and runner.

Joined a gym a little over a year ago,I go twice a week to supplement my cycling/running and my waist has decreased by a few cms even though I've gained a couple of kilos.

So yes on the lean part although it has been commented on that I look bigger around the shoulders but I think that's more to do with losing the manboobs ;)

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2687 on: June 6, 2016, 01:28:00 pm »
Not sure in you know but I am a keen cyclist and runner.

Joined a gym a little over a year ago,I go twice a week to supplement my cycling/running and my waist has decreased by a few cms even though I've gained a couple of kilos.

So yes on the lean part although it has been commented on that I look bigger around the shoulders but I think that's more to do with losing the manboobs ;)

Brilliant thanks mate, appreciate it! Good work!

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #2688 on: June 21, 2016, 08:14:00 am »
Anyone have bcaa's powder or tabs?

Any ideas on which ones are good? Do you even need them?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2689 on: June 21, 2016, 06:03:38 pm »

If you're lifting heavy in a fasted state (i.e. before you eat) then they can be handy to have pre-workout, but otherwise I'd not bother.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2690 on: June 21, 2016, 06:06:49 pm »

Depends on the diet, but assuming you're not eating like a real fatty then you'll have a calorie deficit doing that much exercise so will lose weight.

You'll probably build some muscle just through newbie gains (assuming you haven't really lifted before) and through lowing the body fat (so it looks like you've bulked up). However a lot of cardio can effect the muscle gain eventually as it'll limit just how much you're body is able to lift.

You'll definitely see a big change though if you're going from not exercising.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2691 on: May 20, 2017, 12:43:15 am »
Posted this in the fat bastards thread, but I'm probably heading over from a previously fit, to massively skinny fat bastard to fairly slim now, so I'll go in here. Here's the routine I've been more or less following for the last few of months. In a month or so, I'm probably gonna increase the calories up to 2,300-2,600 and from there on, but this is what I'm doing at the moment. Still trying to shift the last bit of belly fat, but increase strength too.

My shopping cart for the week, healthy food, albeit a bit boring - if it helps anyone. I just pick and choose a protein source from each and add a portion of a mixture of carbohydrates, depending on if I'm working out that day or not I decide how much.

Supplements: Omega 3, multivitamin, melatonin

Breakfast foods:
Eggs (protein/fat)
Wholemeal bread (carbs)
Rolled oats porridge (carbs)
Skimmed milk (protein)
Orange juice (carbs)

Lunch:
Tuna (protein)
Chicken (protein)
Cucumbers (carbs)
Lettuce (carbs)

Snacks:
Peanut butter (fat, protein)
Cottage cheese (fat)
Greek yoghurt (fat)
Wholemeal bread (carbs)
Bananas (carbs)
Oranges (carbs)
Coconut oil (fat, used in cooking the protein sources)
Protein shake (protein)

Dinner:
Beef mince (protein)
Chicken (protein)
Brown rice (carbs)
Sweet potato (carbs)
Broccoli (carbs)
Kale (carbs)
Tomatoes (carbs)

I aim for between 1700 and 2000 calories a day. Going for a recomp/cut at the moment. A minimum of 150g of protein, 50g of fat and the rest in carbs.

In terms of training, I train at home with my weights and a 'bench' (not really meant for weightlifting), I'm currently on my own routine like this:

Monday (chest and biceps):
- Dumbbell bench press 3 x 8
- EZ bar bench press 3 x 8
- DB flies 3 x 8
- EZ bar curls 3 x 8
- DB hammer to bicep curls 3 x 8
- EZ bar bent over curls 3 x 8
- Push ups and abs routine (3 sets of failure for push-ups, abs)

Tuesday (back and traps):
- Bent over close-grip EZ bar rows 3 x 8
- Bent over DB rows 3 x 8
- Front plate raise 3 x 8
- EZ bar shrugs 3 x 8
- EZ bar behind the back shrugs 2 x 10
- EZ bar deadlift 3 x 5

Wednesday:

Thursday (shoulders and triceps):
- Overhead press 3 x 8
- DB bent elbow laterail raises 3 x 8
- DB front raises 3 x 10
- EZ bar skullcrushers 3 x 10 (super slow, elbows tucked in)
- DB tricep extensions 3 x 10
- DB pull-overs 3 x 10
- Dips 3 x 15

Friday:

'Try' and fit in leg day once in a while ;D but usually just end up doing more bodyweight stuff like planks, squats (sometimes with weight although not much since it's not safe without a spotter at home) etc.

Anything I'm doing noticeably wrong here? Bearing in mind I'm working out at home with no machine. The days I work out are usually different, but it tends to be Mon/Tue/Thurs as it works with my schedule, but I fit in abs/push ups most days.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:46:46 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2692 on: June 8, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »
Train in a gym in the basement at my office. Not great facilities; dumbbells go up to 40kg.

Set myself a target a couple of years back of being able to do 3x10 flat and 3x10 incline with those 40kg dumbbells. Managed it yesterday so feeling pretty chuffed.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: June 20, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »
Train in a gym in the basement at my office. Not great facilities; dumbbells go up to 40kg.

Set myself a target a couple of years back of being able to do 3x10 flat and 3x10 incline with those 40kg dumbbells. Managed it yesterday so feeling pretty chuffed.
good job, I was away for almost two months on holiday and done no workouts at all.. weak as a kitten but I know I just need a few weeks and i'll be back on track.

I will never go weeks at a time without workout out again now, it's so detrimental (obviously) and demotivating to boot.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #2694 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:55 pm »

Scivation Extend i take. Lemon and lime flavour. When i started them, i did notice that i wasnt as sore as much. I had some before a workout then put a scoop in a 2 litre bottle and drink thoughout the day.

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2695 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:19 am »
Any good exercises for building forearms?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2696 on: July 14, 2017, 11:07:36 am »
Any good exercises for building forearms?
Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Strictly, of course. You don't need to lift heavy with these exercises.

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2697 on: July 14, 2017, 11:13:19 am »
Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Strictly, of course. You don't need to lift heavy with these exercises.

Right ill give them a go. Cheers mate

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2698 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
Right ill give them a go. Cheers mate
Do them at the end of your arm regime.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: July 14, 2017, 02:40:38 pm »
Unless you are an absolute monster and your forearms look out of place, I see little need in training them.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2700 on: July 16, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
anybody tried SARMS?

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2701 on: August 1, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8QDrnfnl4

this is interesting, only downside is becoming reliant on caffeine which i'd say I probably am in regards to training.

Thomas Maw's channel in general is pretty interesting and amusing to boot.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
  • Killing threads and wrecking heads!
« Reply #2702 on: August 2, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8QDrnfnl4

this is interesting, only downside is becoming reliant on caffeine which i'd say I probably am in regards to training.

Thomas Maw's channel in general is pretty interesting and amusing to boot.

First time seeing one of his videos cheers mate.

I've introduced caffeine bout 15-30 mins before workouts for the last few months and I've seen a strength increase but this could be due to several other factors also.

Find I am craving the caffeine last week or two and it's been affecting my sleep pattern as I train in the evening so gonna see the impact of what dropping the caffeine will have over the next week.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: August 3, 2017, 10:08:42 pm »
Find I am craving the caffeine last week or two and it's been affecting my sleep pattern as I train in the evening so gonna see the impact of what dropping the caffeine will have over the next week.

I used to have my best workouts on caffeine but eventually it caught up with me. I'd struggle to sleep at night, getting up was a mission with a massive coffee and then around lunchtime I'd feel like absolute shit.

Weened myself off it completely and haven't looked back. In the long run rest is more beneficial for training/muscle growth than any boost from caffeine would give you.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2704 on: August 4, 2017, 09:29:31 am »
I used to have my best workouts on caffeine but eventually it caught up with me. I'd struggle to sleep at night, getting up was a mission with a massive coffee and then around lunchtime I'd feel like absolute shit.

Weened myself off it completely and haven't looked back. In the long run rest is more beneficial for training/muscle growth than any boost from caffeine would give you.

Limiting myself to one cup of coffee first thing in the morning for the past few days.

Find no real difference in training, I try to have a decent pre-workout meal which I have always found more beneficial than caffeine anyway. The caffeine probably became a habit which I felt I couldn't train without.

Slept solid for 8 hours last night which is unheard of for me as I'm a bad sleeper anyway. Hopefully should see the benefits of increased sleep.

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
« Reply #2705 on: August 4, 2017, 11:40:12 am »
There is a lot going on in this post....

1- It's been less than a month. You can't expect everything to change over night.

2- Creatine doesn't make you gain weight, sure a couple of pounds of water weight (maybe like 3). Creatine increases ATP production which makes you fatigue less, making you stronger over the long term, which can POTENTIALLY (depending on diet) make you bigger.

3- The simple answer is this. If you're losing weight and that isn't your goal. You're simply not eating enough food.

4- Your muscles being sore is no indication of the quality of your workout or how hard you're training your muscles. It will be much harder to induce muscle soreness as you get better/more conditioned. I squat twice a week with over 170 kilos. My legs don't get sore.

My advice would be not to stress. Follow the program you're on and compare yourself at the end to where you started. You're not going to be able to seriously add weight to the bar as fast you'd probably like. No one can. Just look for measured progress over time.

Relax, enjoy the process. It's not going to happen overnight.

you need to lift heavier if you don't get sore gene. youre coasting.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2706 on: August 4, 2017, 12:00:46 pm »
Not sure I agree with that, DOMS can occur now and again but it's not indicative of a productive workout.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: August 4, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
Agree. I barely get muscle soreness and I train to failure most of the time.

Offline Gene

• Severe Tropical Cyclone (RSMC Nadi designation:12F JTWC designation:15P)
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2708 on: August 4, 2017, 08:50:54 pm »
Agree. I barely get muscle soreness and I train to failure most of the time.

I typically only get DOMS the week after a deload.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2709 on: August 9, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »
Why is training legs the most disgusting thing?

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2710 on: August 9, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »
Why is training legs the most disgusting thing?
Trained them last Friday and was still sore yesterday. Thank god my office is on the ground floor

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2711 on: August 9, 2017, 03:02:02 pm »
Knocks me sick, literally.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2712 on: August 9, 2017, 03:05:08 pm »
Knocks me sick, literally.
I keep telling myself I'll do them early in the week so I'm not walking like John Wayne at the weekend but I never do.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2713 on: August 9, 2017, 03:14:45 pm »
I'm not so fussed about the soreness but I get really nauseous which is obviously horrible.

Had a rest day on Sunday and still feeling weak, probably due a deload.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2714 on: August 9, 2017, 03:24:49 pm »
Never had the nauseousness thankfully. Few moments after certain exercises if I've went heavy is all really.

Although was out all day Sunday in the pub and done a session Monday which made me feel a little worse for wear but I blame alcohol for that one.

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2715 on: August 11, 2017, 01:47:37 pm »
Trying to cut a bit of weight at the moment and trying not to lose much strength. Any tips?

Have read quite a bit on it but people's experiences/tips are always better I find.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2716 on: August 18, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
which supps do you guys use

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2717 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:52 pm »
Any protein smooth recipes without using actual protein powder?

I use low fat yog, milk, egg whites, porridge oats, banana and summer fruits.. bit of peanut butter and cinnamon. Now I look at it I don't know how I could possibly fit in any more ingredients in but would like to hear some suggestions to make abit of variety.

edit; just remembered I read a scary article linking alot of dairy products to Alzheimer's so a low/no dairy tasty substitute would be great.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:12:41 am by ggcc14 »

Offline Molealdinho_LK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2718 on: August 22, 2017, 10:10:50 am »
which supps do you guys use
Take Omega-3 and Green Tea extract in the mornng.
BCAA and pre-workout mix before and during training.
Protein afterwards.

Heard good things about MCT oil from a lad in work. Anyone ever try it?

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2719 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:43 am »
which pre? you should use creatine