Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 218790 times)

Offline Gene

• Severe Tropical Cyclone (RSMC Nadi designation:12F JTWC designation:15P)
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #2560 on: February 4, 2015, 09:14:34 pm »
Someone mentioned knees caving on their squat. That's an easy fix. Your glutes aren't firing. You need to learn how to really sit back and fire your glutes. You can google any number of exercises to help with your glutes. When you sit back you create tension in your hams and glutes, when you lose that tension because your glutes aren't helping your knees cave.

As for protein I take in 260g a day. I weigh 200 pounds so it's between 1-1.5 grams a day for me.

If you gained a pound or so in just a few days on a bulk I wouldn't worry. Usually people gain 3-5 pounds in the first week or so. You're eating more food for one, and you're eating more carbs. Water weight is usually the cause. It's why when you start a low carb diet you instantly lose a few pounds.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #2561 on: February 6, 2015, 09:55:07 am »
Someone mentioned knees caving on their squat. That's an easy fix. Your glutes aren't firing. You need to learn how to really sit back and fire your glutes. You can google any number of exercises to help with your glutes. When you sit back you create tension in your hams and glutes, when you lose that tension because your glutes aren't helping your knees cave.
Yep, when I started squatting about 3 months back I didn't have the balance so would end up moving the weight forward and lifting my heels up when pushing.  Completely incorrect technique but felt I couldn't trust myself to sit back as weight would drop.  Now after practising the technique (mostly with very light weight or no weight at all) I can sit back and push from my heels and you feel the glutes engaging. 

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2562 on: February 6, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »
Yep, when I started squatting about 3 months back I didn't have the balance so would end up moving the weight forward and lifting my heels up when pushing.  Completely incorrect technique but felt I couldn't trust myself to sit back as weight would drop.  Now after practising the technique (mostly with very light weight or no weight at all) I can sit back and push from my heels and you feel the glutes engaging.

I also notice a lot of people squatting with poor technique which doesn't help either. Good work on fixing your squat. I usually tell most people who have issues squatting to start over at a light weight and work back up, working on your form. It's amazing how much stronger they turn out to be in the long run.

The other mistake I see a lot is guys squatting with a low bar placement and their feet closer together as in an Olympic squat or vice versa.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2563 on: February 6, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »
Right, I'm looking to lose weight and put muscle on in its place.  Is it best to focus on losing weight, should take a month, month and a half tops to lose what I want and starting focusing on weights after that or do it simultaneously?

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2564 on: February 6, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
Right, I'm looking to lose weight and put muscle on in its place.  Is it best to focus on losing weight, should take a month, month and a half tops to lose what I want and starting focusing on weights after that or do it simultaneously?

Depends on where you are now and what your goals are.

-Do you want to focus on just looking good naked or are you trying to increase strength?
-What is your current body comp?

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: February 7, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »
Depends on where you are now and what your goals are.

-Do you want to focus on just looking good naked or are you trying to increase strength?
-What is your current body comp?

Around 165 pounds now, will be looking to get down to 150.  According to my £20 scales my BF is 20% but I imagine it's in the region of 20-25, so more so looking to get the body fat down than anything. 

Toning up and losing the BF is my main goal first and foremost, then when that's done I'd like to increase strength and build a bit up for football.  I'm 5'8 too.

At the moment to drop the BF I'm at a calorie deficit so I'm wary that probably isn't the best diet to gain weight.

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2566 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:06 am »
Around 165 pounds now, will be looking to get down to 150.  According to my £20 scales my BF is 20% but I imagine it's in the region of 20-25, so more so looking to get the body fat down than anything. 

Toning up and losing the BF is my main goal first and foremost, then when that's done I'd like to increase strength and build a bit up for football.  I'm 5'8 too.

At the moment to drop the BF I'm at a calorie deficit so I'm wary that probably isn't the best diet to gain weight.

Well you have to remember that unless you're a completely untrained lifter you're not going to be able to lose fat and gain muscle. If you are untrained you'll be able to do both for a bit but that slows down pretty quickly.

So if you want to lose fat, keep eating a deficit. If you need help setting up your macros we can do that - but there's no point if you're not going to track your food.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #2567 on: February 10, 2015, 06:11:07 am »
Haven't really found my way to this thread lately, which sucks considering how much amount of time I spend in a gym weekly...
Hopefully someone can help me out on here.

Whats the best/cheaper gym in Liverpool city centre. Coming over for City and Burnley game, but I have got powerlifting competitions on 18th april, so heart is bleeding a little and skipping the whole week and being on ale wouldn't do any good, so hopefully someone can recommend me a gym in Liverpool and if someone feels bored I'd be happy to do gym session with someone on here.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2568 on: February 10, 2015, 06:41:35 am »

My advice would be to get your body comp below 15% before trying to gain muscle. Things become a lot easier in terms of putting on lean body mass if you have a low body fat % to begin with.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #2569 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:51 pm »
Haven't really found my way to this thread lately, which sucks considering how much amount of time I spend in a gym weekly...
Hopefully someone can help me out on here.

Whats the best/cheaper gym in Liverpool city centre. Coming over for City and Burnley game, but I have got powerlifting competitions on 18th april, so heart is bleeding a little and skipping the whole week and being on ale wouldn't do any good, so hopefully someone can recommend me a gym in Liverpool and if someone feels bored I'd be happy to do gym session with someone on here.

No good gyms in Liverpool ? :(

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2570 on: February 25, 2015, 12:12:59 am »
For those who have chicken as part of their diet, what do you have with it?

i plan to have chicken twice a day, can cook it all at once and re-heat the rest later on in work

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:09 am »

i plan to have chicken twice a day, can cook it all at once and re-heat the rest later on in work

Usually mix it with a bit of brown rice and some broccoli.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2572 on: February 25, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

Rice, tortillas, pitas, whatever really. Just whatever is easy.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2573 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:49 am »
Anyone here buys their supplements from Ebay ? It seems like they have hugely reduced prices on products and often these are the same products available in regular stores here as well.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #2574 on: March 9, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »
Thinking of a change of routine from the usual Back & Biceps, Chest & Triceps, Legs & Shoulders routine.

Thinking of trying a pull/push routine.

Anyone got an effective 4 day push/pull routine bearing in mind that the 4 days will be straight - Mon-Thu.

Had a look on the internet but anyone had any experience using the routines?
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Henderson14

• Main Stander
« Reply #2575 on: March 9, 2015, 08:33:39 pm »

Frank's hot sauce!

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2576 on: March 9, 2015, 11:17:11 pm »
http://www.muscleforlife.com/category/workouts/

you can learn alot from that website.. i gained 1kg just reading it
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #2577 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:50 pm »
That's prety useful. I'm really looking to introduce hypertrophy and want to start super setting my workouts, but at the same time keeping my compound movements of deadlifts, squats and bench all on separate days.
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #2578 on: March 11, 2015, 03:05:32 pm »
Anyone got any feedback on short rest periods in between sets i.e. resting 60 seconds or less.

Wondering if anyone has tried this and the results.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2579 on: March 11, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »
Anyone got any feedback on short rest periods in between sets i.e. resting 60 seconds or less.

Wondering if anyone has tried this and the results.
Its what I do since I train alone and a minute normally does me.. gives you a better pump i suppose, but as for enhanced muscle growth - i don't think so.

I just read this on mens health;
Short Rest Periods Tiring your muscles through weight training is key to getting them bigger. By limiting rest periods to about 30 seconds between sets of strength training exercises, you’ll do just that. The drawback of such a short rest period, however, is that you won’t be resting long enough to maintain sufficient strength. If strength can’t be maintained, then the weights that you’ll be able to lift with shorter rest won’t be heavy enough to help your muscles grow.

personally I think its bollocks, i can lift just as heavy and just as many reps just a minute after (sometimes, depending on exercise). but everybody is different, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:33:03 pm by C »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #2580 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:29 am »
Its what I do since I train alone and a minute normally does me.. gives you a better pump i suppose, but as for enhanced muscle growth - i don't think so.

Short Rest Periods Tiring your muscles through weight training is key to getting them bigger. By limiting rest periods to about 30 seconds between sets of strength training exercises, you’ll do just that. The drawback of such a short rest period, however, is that you won’t be resting long enough to maintain sufficient strength. If strength can’t be maintained, then the weights that you’ll be able to lift with shorter rest won’t be heavy enough to help your muscles grow.

personally I think its bollocks, i can lift just as heavy and just as many reps just a minute after (sometimes, depending on exercise). but everybody is different, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you..
Cheers C.

Started this recently where I am resting 60 seconds between sets.  Previously I would take at least 2 minutes rest, especially after a heavy set but I've dropped the weight a little and am now going through the sets quicker.  Legs are in pain!

Offline C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2581 on: March 12, 2015, 09:56:00 pm »

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2582 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »

Stopped reading at mens health!

Personally waiting more than 60 seconds inbetween sets doesnt feel like training. Its easy. Im trying to give my body stimulus to change, so fuck yeh lower them waiting times, dont let the muscles recover then smash them again!
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2583 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:51 pm »
I recommend this stuff;
http://www.somatodrol.co.uk/

22 quid over the counter, muscle gains and fat loss - not even half way through cycle and already seeing big differences.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2584 on: March 16, 2015, 11:50:25 am »
How many sets should be done each day on a 5 day split (shoulders / legs abs / chest / back / arms) ? Is 12 enough?

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2585 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:59 pm »
Stopped reading at mens health!

Personally waiting more than 60 seconds inbetween sets doesnt feel like training. Its easy. Im trying to give my body stimulus to change, so fuck yeh lower them waiting times, dont let the muscles recover then smash them again!

Depends on what you're doing.

If you're lifting submaximally, sure give it 60 seconds and go at it again. Speed work, etc.

I spend the majority of my time doing strength training (lifting at 80% or more of my 1RM), and if you try and only give your body 60 seconds between sets, you're not going to to be able to recover between sets. You need to rest to allow the muscle to recover, but not so long that you lose neural activation.

So as with most things regarding lifting... it depends.

Kelevra was asking for a push/pull program. I have nothing against a push/pull/legs program, but I would suggest looking at a upper/lower split if you're working 4 days a week - esp if you're not an advanced lifter. Lyle McNasty's bulking routine is a great program.

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

For the thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can
do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body
day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:03:13 pm by Gene »

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2586 on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »
How many sets should be done each day on a 5 day split (shoulders / legs abs / chest / back / arms) ? Is 12 enough?

I'd worry less about the number of sets and worry about the total volume. As in how many reps. 45-60 is usually ideal for hypertrpophy.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2587 on: March 18, 2015, 10:56:55 am »
I'd worry less about the number of sets and worry about the total volume. As in how many reps. 45-60 is usually ideal for hypertrpophy.

Thanks mate. Seems I've been doing too many then! It feels like I'm out of the gym too quickly though

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #2588 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:13 pm »
Any feedback on the volume you should be hitting?  100 reps per session?  150?  More?

Just for basic growth.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2589 on: March 18, 2015, 06:33:52 pm »
Depends on what you're doing.

If you're lifting submaximally, sure give it 60 seconds and go at it again. Speed work, etc.

I spend the majority of my time doing strength training (lifting at 80% or more of my 1RM), and if you try and only give your body 60 seconds between sets, you're not going to to be able to recover between sets. You need to rest to allow the muscle to recover, but not so long that you lose neural activation.

So as with most things regarding lifting... it depends.

Kelevra was asking for a push/pull program. I have nothing against a push/pull/legs program, but I would suggest looking at a upper/lower split if you're working 4 days a week - esp if you're not an advanced lifter. Lyle McNasty's bulking routine is a great program.

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

For the thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can
do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body
day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12
Ino thats partly why i hate strength training. Nothing worse than sitting looking round the gym for a few minutes, drags.

Other reasons i hate it, it completely fries my CNS and is just too easy to pick up injuries (especially bench/deadlift)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:36:14 pm by ThepepeReina »
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2590 on: March 19, 2015, 12:13:20 am »
"Lyle McNasty" :lmao

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2591 on: March 20, 2015, 10:03:46 am »
"Lyle McNasty" :lmao
sounds like a simpsons character
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #2592 on: March 23, 2015, 02:47:22 pm »
Been back in the gym the last month or so. Doing 5 nights a week and resting on weekends (mostly). Heading on holidays the start of June so trying to get in shape for that.

Ive been eating alot lately to try bulk up a bit. Diet is:

07:00 am Porridge for breakfast with vitamin tablets and glucosamine

9:00 am - Shake (one scoop of protein, one scoop of oats, 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter and one small banana) and 4 eggs (one while, 3 egg whites)

12:45: Chicken, spinach & peppers

3:00 PM :  Chicken, spinach & peppers

Workout at 5

Post Workout of a mass builder with creatine, BCAA & glutamine

07:00/08:00 pm - Either turkey,chicken, steak with sweet potato, quinoa and spinach

the plan was to keep this going until mid april/end of april and then spend 4-6 weeks trying to lose fat.

Anyone know is this the right way to go about it?

Thanks!

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2593 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »
Been back in the gym the last month or so. Doing 5 nights a week and resting on weekends (mostly). Heading on holidays the start of June so trying to get in shape for that.

Ive been eating alot lately to try bulk up a bit. Diet is:

07:00 am Porridge for breakfast with vitamin tablets and glucosamine

9:00 am - Shake (one scoop of protein, one scoop of oats, 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter and one small banana) and 4 eggs (one while, 3 egg whites)

12:45: Chicken, spinach & peppers

3:00 PM :  Chicken, spinach & peppers

Workout at 5

Post Workout of a mass builder with creatine, BCAA & glutamine

07:00/08:00 pm - Either turkey,chicken, steak with sweet potato, quinoa and spinach

the plan was to keep this going until mid april/end of april and then spend 4-6 weeks trying to lose fat.

Anyone know is this the right way to go about it?

Thanks!

The truth is, I don't know if your diet is on point or not. It looks like fat could be increased and your carbs are probably on the low side, but again, I don't know. I'd have to know your current weight and how many calories you're getting in each day.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
« Reply #2594 on: March 25, 2015, 01:31:08 pm »

The truth is, I don't know if your diet is on point or not. It looks like fat could be increased and your carbs are probably on the low side, but again, I don't know. I'd have to know your current weight and how many calories you're getting in each day.
Weigh about 13.5 stone... And all that amounts to around 3500 calories

Offline Gene

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2595 on: March 25, 2015, 01:51:51 pm »
Weigh about 13.5 stone... And all that amounts to around 3500 calories

Then you're probably about right. I calculated a 3350 calorie bulk based on your weight, so 3500 isn't a bad shout.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
« Reply #2596 on: March 25, 2015, 01:52:42 pm »
Then you're probably about right. I calculated a 3350 calorie bulk based on your weight, so 3500 isn't a bad shout.
Cool.

Thanks for the input :)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2597 on: April 24, 2015, 12:00:37 pm »
Was in good shape about 18 months ago before my daughter was born but let myself go.

Getting back onto the fitness fair as soon as, starting with my diet and cutting out refined foods. Can anyone recommend good healthy alternatives to snack on. I'm terrible for biscuits and a cup of tea at the moment. Used to snack on mixed nuts/jerky but it doesnt seem to satisfy my sweet tooth/tea combo!

Offline JG-7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2598 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
Here's one for you fitness fanatics - I'm sure someone can advise!

I've just started getting back into the habit of going to the gym, trying to get there 3/4 times a week (mornings before work). Firstly, I'm looking to tone up and lose belly fat, I'm pretty slim anyway but the belly fat isn't a good look. I want to do this but also work on my arms a bit and bulk up in that respect. What's best?

Calorie deficit or surplus? Protein shake before or after morning workout? If at all.

Cardio vs. Lifting etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:33:53 pm by JG-7 »

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2599 on: April 27, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »
Here's one for you fitness fanatics - I'm sure someone can advise!

I've just started getting back into the habit of going to the gym, trying to get there 3/4 times a week (mornings before work). Firstly, I'm looking to tone up and lose belly fat, I'm pretty slim anyway but the belly fat isn't a good look. I want to do this but also work on my arms a bit and bulk up in that respect. What's best?

Calorie deficit or surplus? Protein shake before or after morning workout? If at all.

Cardio vs. Lifting etc.

Probably best to focus on either losing fat or gaining muscle rather than trying to do both.

If you go for fat loss the absolute key is to work out how many calories you should be consuming and eat that amount nearly every day. A good idea is to find a BMR calculator and put in your numbers (just google it), as that'll tell you the minimum you should eat every day (don't be afraid to eat a few hundred calories more than it suggests at first).

Personally I prefer lifting weights for fat loss, I usually hit the gym 3-5 times a week and do maybe a 45 min workout with minimal rest between sets (50-60 seconds). Cardio is fine too but it can be boring and you can lose muscle mass when eating too little and not lifting.

For weight loss you don't need shakes really unless you're struggling to get much protein into your diet. I'd focus on trying to get a balanced diet going first with a good amount of protein and fat, and some carbs. Then if you find your life is stopping you from getting what you need from your diet you can start using supplements to fill the gap.

Also don't take my word on all of this, go read fitness sites and message boards. The more you read the better you'll become at spotting the good advice and avoiding the bad, and you'll learn how easy weight loss can be if you stick to it.

I don't have any advice on gaining mass as I've never really done it myself.