Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 217193 times)

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »
Get plenty of protein and some carbs down your neck after the workout will help : )

cheers

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »
is there a good way to deal with the muscle soreness that occurs 24-48 hours after a session?

A good massage.

Throw in some sex and you'll feel brilliant.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2011, 07:45:21 pm »
A good massage.

Throw in some sex and you'll feel brilliant.
can you have the sex first and then the massage or does it have to be that way round?
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
Seeing as Impact Whey Protein tastes a bit poop.....is it ok to slice up a banana in there? i only ask as something in the back of my head says i can't add something but maybe i drempt it.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:49 pm »
Any of you fellows use the whey protein from myprotein? Any good does seem too good to be true at the money
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:03 pm »
I've used myrpotein before, but just as a general protein shake. Does the job, good prices and nice tasting too ( i got raspberry.) You can also get samples on certain products in case you don't like them.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »
I've been using this > http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=564

Really good and the Holland and Barrett where I live sells the big tubs for £15 as well!

Over the past 2-3 months, my arms have gotten bigger and my pecks have become bigger and more defined.

Still fairly skinny, not helped by an extremely low fat percentage.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:41 pm »
Any of you fellows use the whey protein from myprotein? Any good does seem too good to be true at the money

Been using it for years, having used many different websites, they are defo the best! The Impact Whey Protein is great, I used to get unflavoured to save even more money (doesn't taste amazing but is drinkable), I get strawberry these days, it isn't that much extra! 

Use my refferel code at checkout if you want MP18966 ;)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:05 pm »

The vast majority of them contain 25g of protein a shake. Simple as that really. I always get them. Raspberry is nice.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:24 pm »
Cheers fellas, never really bothered much with the protein but deffo seems to aid recovery a wee bit, gonna give them a go
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:01 pm »
Protein is essential. Whey is the cheapest option to bolster your intake. You've got to bother with it if you want to build muscle. I try to eat about 180g a day, but I usually don't. Very rarely drop under 100g though.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:18 pm »
Seems even the footballers take 'em these days, saw Carroll necking one when he came off against Sunderland.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:46 pm »
Seems even the footballers take 'em these days, saw Carroll necking one when he came off against Sunderland.
They are different, they are half protein half carbs. Quicker the nutrients get back in the muscles, quicker the player recovers from the game.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »
For anyone looking to improve their general strength then I would recommend hundredpushups.com. It's abit of a pain having to look at those grids and work out what to do each week but if you have an iphone the app they have is great.

I only scored 22 in my initial test but fast forward 5 weeks and I can now do 80 without breaking much of a sweat, have made it to 100 and even over that a few times though.

My core body strength has improve by loads in only 5 weeks. That training programme is really good but I have now moved on to doing free weights as I find doing 100 pushups is too time consuming for the effects.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »
Haven't been in two weeks which is annoying, have a problem with my left wrist started aching so i've been laying off doing weights. Been playing a lot of footy since then but haven't worked on my upper body at all seeing as nearly everything is wrist orientated.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
Protein is essential. Whey is the cheapest option to bolster your intake. You've got to bother with it if you want to build muscle. I try to eat about 180g a day, but I usually don't. Very rarely drop under 100g though.

To be honest never really had much trouble adding muscle, where as i used to train for getting stronger (power lifting style), im getting more interested in body building so looking to clean up the diet, plus i love the buzz i get after a proper BB style workout

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »
Out of interest was wondering whether taking protein shakes was essential in order to gain muscle?

As i currently lift weights about 2-3 times a week and and just get protein from my diet.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:21 pm »
To be honest never really had much trouble adding muscle, where as i used to train for getting stronger (power lifting style), im getting more interested in body building so looking to clean up the diet, plus i love the buzz i get after a proper BB style workout

I've trained since I was about 17. No real reason except for, as you say, that buzz.

Offline Alegre

• Main Stander
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »
Out of interest was wondering whether taking protein shakes was essential in order to gain muscle?

As i currently lift weights about 2-3 times a week and and just get protein from my diet.
Essential, not at all - people who eat the house out every day can gain well.

Personally, i'm not home alot of the time and to ensure i get my protein i have a shake at 11oclock in the morning or 11oclock at night.

If you don't have protein shakes, a proper breakfast is a necessity.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2011, 07:03:29 pm »
I'm very underweight. I'm 6ft and only weigh about 120lb.
Been eating loads of protein and carbs lately (chicken, eggs, pasta etc). Will I put on weight just by eating loads? Or do I have to work out aswell?

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »
I'm very underweight. I'm 6ft and only weigh about 120lb.
Been eating loads of protein and carbs lately (chicken, eggs, pasta etc). Will I put on weight just by eating loads? Or do I have to work out aswell?

Basically , excess calories are stored as fat , so you should put on weight but it wont be muscle unless you work out .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2011, 07:40:13 pm »
Essential, not at all - people who eat the house out every day can gain well.

Personally, i'm not home alot of the time and to ensure i get my protein i have a shake at 11oclock in the morning or 11oclock at night.

If you don't have protein shakes, a proper breakfast is a necessity.

If you're looking to gain muscle ( as opposed to fat ) , you're going to struggle unless you consume sufficient protein to maintain / stimulate muscle growth .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Alegre

• Main Stander
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:02 pm »
Absolutely, which is why I said protein shakes are necessary unless you eat enough at home. If you have 2 grilled sausages, beans and 3 scrambled eggs on a single slice of wholemeal brown bread, its a good start to the day for someone looking to gain muscle.

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
Absolutely, which is why I said protein shakes are necessary unless you eat enough at home. If you have 2 grilled sausages, beans and 3 scrambled eggs on a single slice of wholemeal brown bread, its a good start to the day for someone looking to gain muscle.

Yeah, eating more for breakfast is something i'm definitely trying to improve on.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2011, 12:48:07 am »

essential? nothings essential in adding muscle, least of all protein shakes.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »
essential? nothings essential in adding muscle, least of all protein shakes.

Cheers for replying, its just i know a couple of people currently taking them and they say they defeniately help. Have never used them and just wondered whether they ought to be considered or not. Think i'll stick to just trying to eat more!

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2011, 03:14:35 pm »
Protein shakes are only necessary if you are unable to have a proper meal really. I know some people who will have multiple ones a day and it's just stupid. I might have one after my workout and then that's it. Workout is once every 3 days, plenty of time to heal. I maintain a well balanced diet so I don't see the need in the shakes as much. They're a not-as-good substitute for good food. If you feel like a quick protein boost then they help.

I'm in the middle of a cut right now. I gained 2.5 stone in a year, lots of muscle and some fat. In the last 6 months I've lost a stone, mostly fat but there's always going to be a bit of muscle lost too. However my strength has remained about the same, I guess I've worked my diet out just right. Now working towards being ripped.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:22:39 pm by PhiLFC#1 »

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »
Protein shakes are only necessary if you are unable to have a proper meal really. I know some people who will have multiple ones a day and it's just stupid. I might have one after my workout and then that's it. Workout is once every 3 days, plenty of time to heal. I maintain a well balanced diet so I don't see the need in the shakes as much. They're a not-as-good substitute for good food. If you feel like a quick protein boost then they help.

I'm in the middle of a cut right now. I gained 2.5 stone over a year, lots of muscle and some fat. In the last 6 months I've lost a stone, mostly fat but there's always going to be a bit of muscle lost too. However my strength has remained about the same, I guess I've worked my diet out just right. Now working towards being ripped.
Thanks for clearing that up mate and now i'm pretty clear on just concentating soley on diet.
Also know someone who is using them sometimes as a substitute for food which i was pretty sure wasn't a good idea.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 23, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »
In my opinion proper meals are better for muscle growth and have more nutrients required for muscle building/function. The only time i would advise the shakes is if you cant cook a meal eg go the gym and then straight to work.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45:55 am »
how does alcohol affect the muscle gaining process?

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »
Baked Beans......did i read that right? 20g Protein per tin? i know there is a lot of suger in them but ok to eat when training?

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »

It's known to break down muscle. It also has a shitload of calories so it's very detrimental. It's a shame I end up binging on average once a week

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:23 pm »
Baked Beans......did i read that right? 20g Protein per tin? i know there is a lot of suger in them but ok to eat when training?

loads of salt, I wouldn't eat a whole tin. mixed 'beans' are much better, hardly any salt just carbs and protein

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »
It stops protein synthesis, which basically cuts off the pathway that protein uses to make the musce grow, it also stops the body burning fat during excersise. Put it this way, bodybuilders never drink.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »
I eat loads of beans, go sick.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline DTLFC92

• Main Stander
« Reply #275 on: March 24, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »
In my opinion proper meals are better for muscle growth and have more nutrients required for muscle building/function. The only time i would advise the shakes is if you cant cook a meal eg go the gym and then straight to work.

Also helps with people starting off. I know a few lads that aren't used to eating as much as they need to be to be getting results, so a shake can help them gain that extra protein while they adjust to the diet.

Although, I agree. Once you start getting further into your training/diet, you should be able to get all you need through what you eat.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »
Also helps with people starting off. I know a few lads that aren't used to eating as much as they need to be to be getting results, so a shake can help them gain that extra protein while they adjust to the diet.

Although, I agree. Once you start getting further into your training/diet, you should be able to get all you need through what you eat.

I think this.....some people (like me) simply can't eat THAT much to begin with so the Protein shakes ARE essential. Once you can eat enough obviously food is better, a recovery drink will do the world of good as well

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »
i don't really use powders anymore, and if you eat right, eat enough meals at the right time and drink plenty of water you can get by without spending all your hard earned on shakes and powders. but the more serious you get and if you have the money, obviously extra nutrition and the right aminos/compounds etc help, but at a cost.

if your a newbie and struggling to put on weight/muscle, just eat whatever the hell you find and just keep lifting. i started doing weights at 12, but only once i was 18/19 and brought crash weight gain it changed my body. but you must lift and push weights if you go down this route otherwise you will get fat.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »
They are called supplements for a reason, they supplement a diet consisting of good solid food.

Its not practical to hit a daily protein target by eating only, unless you want to be constantly in the kitchen and toilet.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »

People just starting, fair enough, but if someone is training, seriously, then you metabolism will be crazy high. If iv done a proper hard workout, usually legs, back, or chest, il get hungry every 2 hours for the next few days, which makes getting the cals and protein in easy.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed