Author Topic: Government's plan to fix football: give clubs back to fans  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Karthik

• Violet Elizabeth doesn't travel well. Forgot the 'c' in thik.
  • Kopite
Government's plan to fix football: give clubs back to fans
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:26 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/28/government-plan-football-clubs-fans

The government is to unveil radical proposals that would give football fans first option to buy their clubs when they were put up for sale and require clubs to hand over a stake of up to 25% to supporters' groups.

The ideas, due to be included in the Labour manifesto with a promise of action in the first year of a new government, are designed to give fans a far greater say in how their football clubs are run and overhaul the way the game is governed.

It is believed that No 10, which has been working secretly on the plans for weeks, has resolved to deliver concrete proposals to tackle growing public disquiet at the level of debt carried by some clubs, the ownership model of others and the dysfunctional structure of the Football Association.

The plans include:

• Requiring clubs to hand a stake of up to 25% to fans in recognition of their links with their local community.

• Implementing a change-of-control clause that would allow fans a window to put together a takeover of their club if it was up for sale or went into administration.

• Giving the football authorities a deadline to reform the FA and remove "vested interests" from the board, and streamline decision making.

• Introducing a unified system of governance that co-ordinates issues such as club ownership and youth development.

• Allowing professional leagues and the FA additional oversight of club takeovers.

The plans are likely to put Gordon Brown on a collision course with the Premier League, which has vigorously defended its free-market model in recent years, but he will claim that the proposals are for the good of the game.

Two policy ideas have emerged as frontrunners to improve supporter representation around the boardroom table, both of which would see fans taking a meaningful ownership stake in clubs.

Portsmouth's financial collapse, the outpouring of anger in response to the leveraged buyouts at Manchester United and Liverpool that loaded the clubs with combined debts of more than Ł1bn, and last week's shock resignation of the FA chief executive, Ian Watmore, in protest at the "vested interests" on the board are all understood to have persuaded the prime minister to act.

Reflecting the view that they will succeed in democratising ownership only if there is stronger leadership from the top, it will also set football a deadline of up to a year to overhaul its governance system.

Under the scheme to give fans a stake, supporters' trusts with elected representatives, audited accounts and Financial Services Authority recognition would be responsible for maintaining the link between clubs and their community and ensuring fans are not priced out of the game.

The government could, however, face legal challenges from existing owners over the dilution of their shares. It has echoes of the model proposed by the so-called Red Knights attempting to buy Manchester United. Wealthy fans will contribute 74.9% of the overall purchase price, but supporters will hold a "golden share" of just over 25%, giving them a blocking stake on any change of ownership and an influential boardroom voice.

Legal advice is being sought on the idea of a change of ownership at a club triggering a mandatory window for fans to take the opportunity to shape the ownership structure and buy the club at a price set by an external, independent auditor.

Under the proposals, fans would be free to set up their co-operative style model, shareholding trust or other structure that enabled them to have a say in the club.

While the government will reiterate that it has no desire to regulate football directly, the prime minister believes the democratisation of football club ownership taps into wider themes about the "mutualisation" of public services and the need for regulatory reform.

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
Re: Government's plan to fix football: give clubs back to fans
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:54 am »
bollocks. never happen.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:59 am »
If this is in true, then it's a decent starting point from the government. But I fear that the Premier league and individual clubs will be too powerful to let this go through. It's nice to see that the government seems to be taking an interest in this though, whatever their motives are.

Offline AFX

• Kopite
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:57:14 am »
Nice idea.

Never happen in a million years.

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55:38 am »
Good idea, it can happen.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:15:36 am »
I believe it.
It's not like it's one of those surreal vote winning ideas that comes out when there's an election due.

If it was remotely like one of them I'd be very sceptical about it's validity.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:43:49 am »
I am extremely doubtful that this will happen in its current format, and in the short term under these proposals. However, I do think that the very fact it's been brought up will make any further dialogue on the matter a little more credible, and possibly lead to something later down the line.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:56 am »
Every match ticket should be equal to one share in the club. 

At least most people use their own money to buy them.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:45 am »
Just trying to get a load of votes from Portsmouth, utd and Liverpool fans.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:36 am »
They haven't even checked out the legal ramifications of what they're proposing and I suspect most of this will end up on the cutting room floor. A tightening of the fit and proper persons scrutiny is way over due and could be effected, though.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:23 am »
well they've certainly got my vote if they implement that
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:43 am »
well they've certainly got my vote if they implement that

I think you've just demonstrated the real scope for this proposal. Votes.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:30 am »
I think you've just demonstrated the real scope for this proposal. Votes.

I honestly couldn't care less what their motivation is provided they have to deliver on it.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:30 am »

I believe it.
It's not like it's one of those surreal vote winning ideas that comes out when there's an election due.

;). You're as cynical as I am lad!
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:53 am »
labour have been in power for years, they could have done this at anytime, but they didn't.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 10:37:36 am »
Wont this put British clubs at a disadvantage compared to our European rivals.  If owners have to "hand over" 25% of the club then there will be a lot less interest in investing in British football.  Also from LFC point of view the timing of this report is bad.  If I were Rhone group or whoever is looking at Liverpool now I would be inclined to wait until this is clarified up before thinking about investing.

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
Wont this put British clubs at a disadvantage compared to our European rivals.  If owners have to "hand over" 25% of the club then there will be a lot less interest in investing in British football.  Also from LFC point of view the timing of this report is bad.  If I were Rhone group or whoever is looking at Liverpool now I would be inclined to wait until this is clarified up before thinking about investing.
It's not going to happen! Party politics prior to the election.
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 11:01:57 am »
How do you define a "fan of the club". Absolutely impossible to implement.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 11:05:35 am »
cheap attempt to win the votes of idiots

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:08:28 am »
labour have been in power for years, they could have done this at anytime, but they didn't.

indeed, blatant electioneering. This should have all-party support anyway.

Offline belfast-connection

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:16 am »
this can't be done and it won't be done

interference from government in the running of football = fifa sanctions which means = national team suspended and no world cup

as soon as the fa ring them this morning and let them know that the thing will be dropped
HE SAID ‘BIGGER’ PEOPLE ‘BIGGER’. OK, MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, THERE’S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 12:31:59 pm »
A fresh idea from Labour our just a cheap trick to get votes off those working class oik's. Most likely the latter. If it did come in  it would be pretty amazing though.

Offline Razzler

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »
Labour wont be in charge to make such changes.......they may as well say "free 1 month exotic 5 star holiday for everyone,every month"......Sidenote : who the fuck do they think they are borrowing so much of this countrys future earnings...fucking pisses me off : RANTOVER

:)

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

Oweners inbdebting clubs on this scale wasnt an issue until recently, nor was clubs going into administration. Its all a relativly new phenomenon.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »
It's a start.

The anti -G&H and Glazer campaigns have always had two huge hurdles to overcome.

1.Owners out isnt enough, you have to have someone to take their place financially competent to take over
2. The new owners have to be demonstrably different from the old ones in motivation and operation.

These proposals go some way towards starting to change things.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:35:45 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:09 pm »
It's a start.

The anti -G&H and Glazer campaigns have always had two huge hurdles to overcome.

1.Owners out isnt enough, you have to have someone to take their place financially competent to take over
2. The new owners have to be demonstarbly different from the old ones in motivation and operation.

These proposals go some way towards starting to change things.

Also it shows that the protest campaigns have succeeded in their objective of highlighting the problem to people outside of football and even in government.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21:17 pm »
Seriously though, this is something that may have an adverse affect on the current negotiations. I bet Purslow is cursing!!
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Karthik

• Violet Elizabeth doesn't travel well. Forgot the 'c' in thik.
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »
Also it shows that the protest campaigns have succeeded in their objective of highlighting the problem to people outside of football and even in government.

And maybe if not this proposal something else. At least it moves the debate forward.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »
I believe it.

You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face