Author Topic: Debt, Lies, Cowboys.  (Read 41969 times)

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
Re: Debt, Lies, Cowboys.
« Reply #280 on: March 4, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »
PS:  Wish people on here would stop about the cowboy wording, it's a phrase for describing people who do a shoddy job like cowboy builders etc, stop trying to make it out to mean something it clearly isn't!
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: March 4, 2010, 08:14:44 pm »
Potentially having the entire Kop wearing black is always going to be hard to arrange logistically, so I've had a little idea. Shoot me if it's crap ;)

Bin bags.

Rolls and rolls of the things - per unit they're relatively cheap and maybe someone can source 15,000 of them (or whatever the official capacity is of the kop these days). They can be handed out and you rip a hole in the top for your head and shove your arms through them.

The shiny ones will reflect back some light too, so it should be eye-catching.

It works on more than one level - colour and of course they're "rubbish" bags - as in G&H are rubbish old bags.

Just an idea.

A very good solution to the fact that some people just can't be arsed to do anything and there maybe a few who hadn't heard about wearing black. If everyone else is doing it and the bin bag is there on your seat, you wouldn't get many who don't put it on. A group activity like that where everyones doing something a bit silly would really get people in the mood and help the atmosphere too.

However, 15000 scousers all in one place wearing bin bags as clothes? People better be prepared to laugh at themselves because we will seriously get the piss taken out of us. If it is accompanied by a slogan on a banner or something like the suggested "rubbish bags for rubbish owners" then that may help some people from outside the club from completely missing the point by focusing on us wearing them instead of why we're wearing them

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #282 on: March 4, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
If it is accompanied by a slogan on a banner or something like the suggested "rubbish bags for rubbish owners" then that may help some people from outside the club from completely missing the point by focusing on us wearing them instead of why we're wearing them
Good call :thumbup

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 4, 2010, 08:39:02 pm »
I can see that going horribly wrong.
Furrynuff - I was freeforming ;)

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 4, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 4, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »
Further to the bin bag idea, why not just hold up the bin bags having a mosaic effect on the kop. A blacked out kop is a fairly blunt statement.

Do it during the middle of a televised game, with maybe one banner in the middle saying debt lies cowboys.

Don't know how the logistics would work like but it's just as feasible as everyone wearing them!!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: March 4, 2010, 08:54:47 pm »
How fucking dare you Mr 24/7! The only fucking binman on Merseyside was Neville Southall.   ;D

Forgot to say, noticed the Sly Sports News picking up on it last night. I haven't seen it today, but fingers crossed it's carried on a bit today to raise publicity. Well done SoS!!
« Last Edit: March 4, 2010, 08:56:20 pm by macca888 »
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #287 on: March 4, 2010, 08:55:06 pm »
Further to the bin bag idea, why not just hold up the bin bags having a mosaic effect on the kop. A blacked out kop is a fairly blunt statement.

Do it during the middle of a televised game, with maybe one banner in the middle saying debt lies cowboys.

Don't know how the logistics would work like but it's just as feasible as everyone wearing them!!

Was what I thought Jim was going to suggest. Excellent idea IMO
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Mr Sitter

• ...and Rosenthal must score...
  • Kopite
« Reply #288 on: March 4, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »
Yeah but isnt the whole thing to do with their company being called DLC??

Starting the last word with anything other than a "C" would fuck up the whole idea wouldnt it?

Or am i really losing the plot?

didn't get it before doh!
I think that's probably the most moronic argument that I've ever seen on this site and believe me, there's a fucking lot of competition for that particular title.

Offline Mr Sitter

• ...and Rosenthal must score...
  • Kopite
« Reply #289 on: March 4, 2010, 09:08:36 pm »
bin bags is a good idea for attention. theyd rip the piss out of us but so what. think simple ideas like that which are easy to organise are the best....
I think that's probably the most moronic argument that I've ever seen on this site and believe me, there's a fucking lot of competition for that particular title.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 4, 2010, 09:14:20 pm »
They call us bindippers anyway but any idea needs to be brought to the union's attention and agreed upon by the mass's.

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 4, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »
About time we had a topic that really mattered on this site. Gets boring talking about Aquilani and Lucas!

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #292 on: March 4, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »
How would we get bin bags on every seat on the Kop though?  Surely the club would have some say, like they do with preperations for the mosaics.

Offline Kingsley (Ned) Zissou

• Anny Roader
« Reply #293 on: March 4, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »
The bin bag idea is great. If other fans take the piss, it will only draw more attention to the cause.

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 4, 2010, 09:42:52 pm »
Forgot to say, noticed the Sly Sports News picking up on it last night. I haven't seen it today, but fingers crossed it's carried on a bit today to raise publicity. Well done SoS!!

Yea the story was run every hour through the night last night, did it get an airing in the day yesterday or today at all?

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #295 on: March 4, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »
I'm going to stop myself having a nervous breakdown by assuming this bin bag thing is a joke.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 4, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
I'm going to stop myself having a nervous breakdown by assuming this bin bag thing is a joke.
I know I said "shoot me if it's crap" but at least be constructive whilst pulling the trigger :D

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 4, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »
I know I said "shoot me if it's crap" but at least be constructive whilst pulling the trigger :D

Do you realise how ridiculous that would make us look? A blacked out Kop would be impressive but to use bin bags would make us the laughing stock of football. Coloured A1 sized card is not that expensive so if match goers all spent a couple of quid on that we would make our point in an impressive manner without looking like tramps.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 4, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »
Do you realise how ridiculous that would make us look? A blacked out Kop would be impressive but to use bin bags would make us the laughing stock of football. Coloured A1 sized card is not that expensive so if match goers all spent a couple of quid on that we would make our point in an impressive manner without looking like tramps.
Alright, so not my best idea :wave

Trouble with the A1 card is that we're back into mosaic territory and I'm sure you've followed that debate - do an unauthorised mosaic and oops........

Back to square one then lads......

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 4, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
Who gives a shit about how we'd look?

Laughing stock? What else is knew.

Your tryin to make a point, not make friends with nobheads who like to make generalisations about scousers.

Where does it say you have to look cool to make a protest? You never heard of a dirty protest?

"oh no, what will the neighbours think??"

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 4, 2010, 10:16:44 pm »
Who gives a shit about how we'd look?

"oh no, what will the neighbours think??"

Wont somebody please think of the children!...
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 4, 2010, 10:19:17 pm »
Alright, so not my best idea :wave

Trouble with the A1 card is that we're back into mosaic territory and I'm sure you've followed that debate - do an unauthorised mosaic and oops........

Back to square one then lads......

Sorry to knock your idea btw I'm just fucked off with everything connected to LFC and especially SOS right now. Saw bin bags and just thought of all the stick I'd get at work along with the headlines in the papers and I'm fairly sure I actually whimpered for the first time in my life.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #302 on: March 4, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »
One thing that has struck me, nowt we didn't know anyway is the struggle both SOS and sharelfc have in getting exposure.

The Red knights, more or less copy SharleLFC's idea, even if 50 or so Rednights put the money up first and then gradually bring fans into ownership, it's the same idea in principle. The Rednights have been all over the media, for days. didn't hear the same for sharelfc and all the Red nights did was release a statments, sharelfc have a website, did PR tours in other countries etc.

Then there is MUST, or whatever the fuck they are called, no whewre near as procavtive or immaginitve as SOS and they are all over the press aswell.

I fucking hate Machester UTD and Mancs for that matter. c*nts.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #303 on: March 4, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »
Sorry to knock your idea btw I'm just fucked off with everything connected to LFC and especially SOS right now. Saw bin bags and just thought of all the stick I'd get at work along with the headlines in the papers and I'm fairly sure I actually whimpered for the first time in my life.

Grow a pair of balls, the stick you get at work against the future of LFC, get a fucking grip.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: March 4, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »
Can we at least all agree we should do SOMETHING?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 4, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
Grow a pair of balls, the stick you get at work against the future of LFC, get a fucking grip.
Ah go easy - the thought of him whimpering for the first time in his life actually made me smile ;)

No offence taken redcez - I also care about how it looks - just trying to find the right balance, that's all. If it turns out to be a usable idea then great - if it's shat on from a very great height then hey that's life :D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #306 on: March 4, 2010, 10:28:05 pm »
How about black umbrellas then? You could black out the Kop with them. Umbrellas have an innocent use - so there are valid grounds to bring them in. They are also fairly cheap.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 4, 2010, 10:32:05 pm »
How about black umbrellas then? You could black out the Kop with them. Umbrellas have an innocent use - so there are valid grounds to bring them in. They are also fairly cheap.

That could well do the trick.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #308 on: March 4, 2010, 10:41:41 pm »
I think we just need thousands of leaflets printed with Debt Lies Cowboys on them, and run with this now. Print them, hand them out at the ground before the game, everyone has one then.

Nothing more effective to me than the whole ground simply holding up A5 leaflets. Black, with DLC printed on them in white. If everyone held them up at once?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 4, 2010, 11:02:41 pm »
I think we just need thousands of leaflets printed with Debt Lies Cowboys on them, and run with this now. Print them, hand them out at the ground before the game, everyone has one then.

Nothing more effective to me than the whole ground simply holding up A5 leaflets. Black, with DLC printed on them in white. If everyone held them up at once?
Yeah, would certainly be a good start.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #310 on: March 4, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »
If you want to make a point that has impact across two specific cultural/geographical groups you need to take the interpretation of your message in both groups into account.

Like the black bin bags on the kop idea... I'd do it

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #311 on: March 4, 2010, 11:53:26 pm »
I think the mancs group/organistaion/protest is a million times more professional than ours. A few posters that dont make a lot of sense and are racist are going to acheive nowt.

We have sos sending out coded messages, they have the red knights talking about clubbing together £1billion, we need something more than posters calling them cowboys
Get a grip! The media have latched on to the mancs because they're their darlings.
The only time they'll have anything for us is when we go to the wall.
Quite frankly we'll fight our battle with dignity and from the heart.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 4, 2010, 11:56:35 pm »

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: March 4, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »
As we lay on the battlefield dying..............................................

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #314 on: March 5, 2010, 12:52:20 am »
Oh my, just seems the Americans have taken the word cowboy and took it the wrong way

"WTF is DLC"...i thought that at first too ;D
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 5, 2010, 08:25:04 am »
Just seen the billboard on Hardman Street. Nice location for that one.

Great idea, great execution.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #316 on: March 5, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
David Prentice: SOS warning which all Liverpool FC fans should heed.

DEBT. Lies. Cowboys. Whichever statement you analyse, The Spirit of Shankly posters which have sprung up around town this week ring uncomfortably true.

Cowboys? Well it was Texan Tom Hicks himself who proudly showed off his club crested cowboy boots.

Lies? It was pardner George who suggested: “We intend to have a shovel in the ground in 60 days” or claimed “This is not a takeover like the Glazer deal at Manchester United. There is no debt involved.”

Then there’s the biggest four letter word of the lot. Debt.

Liverpool are in alarming hock.

An official UEFA report published this week, The European Club Footballing Landscape, revealed that Premier League clubs owed more than the rest of Europe put together – and Liverpool and Manchester United make up more than 50 per cent of that debt.

That’s a serious, club breaking, Leeds United style debt mountain.

The Spirit of Shankly group is sometimes accused of being zealous, old-style Militants who’d start a fight in an empty room.

But their poster campaign is not just well intentioned, it’s justified, because it highlights a very real threat to the future well-being of Liverpool Football Club. And it’s time everyone took heed.

In 2004, 2005 and 2006 Liverpool’s end of year accounts showed debts of £14m, £15m and £26m.

In the first accounts posted after the American takeover, those debts instantly rocketed into ‘Oh my God’ territory. In 2007 Liverpool Football Club and parent company Kop Holdings owed £288m.

In 2008 it soared £385m into the red.

That startling figure reminded me of a conversation I’d had with that outstanding Anfield administrator Peter Robinson in what seemed like a quainter era, way back in 1988.

After a fixture foul-up left the Reds without a home game for a month, he told me: “We’ve had to approach our bank for an overdraft for the first time I can remember. It’s left us with cash flow problems and we’re in the red.”

That was an era when Liverpool’s financial results were of no real interest.

The club made money, gave it to the manager to spend and they won things.

But that was the good old days.

The way in which Tom Hicks and George Gillet bought Liverpool – “a leveraged buy-out” – means that the club now generates cash to pay off the loans they took to buy LFC.

The Americans have dramatically increased turnover at Anfield since they took over – since the Champions League win in 2005, turnover has increased by around 70per cent.

That’s a stunning improvement, but the major beneficiaries will not be Liverpool – but their owners.

The huge debt on the club means that annual interest payments, from a modest £2m in 2006, are now in the region of £44m.

Compare that figure to rivals for the Champions League spot Spurs, or neighbours Everton, who paid interest of roughly £4m in 2008.

It’s why qualification for the cash generator which is the Champions League is imperative.

If Liverpool don’t finish fourth, the Americans will simply have to sell up to a new owner, or start hawking off the family silver.

No doubt some Reds fans will read this article as scaremongering, accuse me of being a bitter Blue seeking to unsettle a proud football club.

Well sometimes the truth hurts.

Liverpool are in trouble – and the Spirit of Shankly poster campaign is trying to drive that message home.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-columnists/david-prentice-column/2010/03/05/david-prentice-sos-warning-which-all-liverpool-fc-fans-should-heed-100252-25966103/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 5, 2010, 08:47:26 am »
That Prentice article deserves its own topic, to wake some of the masses and ostriches up  !!!!!!!
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 5, 2010, 09:02:15 am »
That Prentice article deserves its own topic, to wake some of the masses and ostriches up  !!!!!!!

Agreed.  I honestly think we will struggle finishing in the Top 4 this season, and if as he implies, it might force the owners out, it's a price I am willing to pay.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 5, 2010, 09:04:22 am »
Agreed.  I honestly think we will struggle finishing in the Top 4 this season, and if as he implies, it might force the owners out, it's a price I am willing to pay.

Pro's and Con's to it Nat, one or two things will happen this summer they will either sell up or sell off our stars to pay the 100 million I am going for the latter.  :'(
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)