Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 368418 times)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5080 on: July 6, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »
Connected my hudl to my smart TV using HDMI cable but the TV goes blank every ten seconds or so but the hudl screen is fine. Anyone seen this before or got any ideas ?
Cheers

It is a common fault. They claim it is software based and will update it but they haven't yet and I have my doubts they will. I tried to swap mine but they said any swap would be the same. Shame really as it is a great tablet otherwise.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5081 on: July 6, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »
It is a common fault. They claim it is software based and will update it but they haven't yet and I have my doubts they will. I tried to swap mine but they said any swap would be the same. Shame really as it is a great tablet otherwise.
Cheers for the info, suppose it will be fixed eventually  :)
What I tried was going into settings -->Hdmi and then messing with the resolution settings, I put it on one of the lower ones (think it was 720-560) and it seemed to fix it, it did occasionally go to the blank screen but nowhere near as much as the higher resolutions.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #5082 on: July 6, 2014, 10:13:51 pm »
My Hudl keeps coming up with an alert saying the SD card is corrupt and needs re-formatting, but if I try to do that it says it needs to wipe everything from the card memory, which I don't want to do. It's a new SD card and seems to work fine in other devices, so I don't know what the problem is but my Hudl doesn't like it for some reason. Anyone else had this with a Hudl?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: July 6, 2014, 10:48:04 pm »
Don't have an sd card so this might be a load of rubbish but could you not copy the sd card contents to say a pc then reformat the card and copy the files back ?

On another note I downloaded the grand Budapest hotel, quick check, lovely picture, sat down with the missus then noticed the sound and pictures are out of sync ! Will need to look for a better d/l.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2014, 10:49:50 pm by WhoHe »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #5084 on: July 7, 2014, 02:20:19 am »
bought a sony xperia z2 tablet the other day. Great camera and nice display but the sound was poor and the audio jack is on the bottom. This means with a cover which allows it to stand upright the jack cannot fit in the bottom unless it sits on an angle. This is fustrating since I use headphones alot and need the camera at the top as I also need to skype alot.

I've returned the product to the shop for this reason. Any suggestions on a good tablet that doesn't get affected by said issue. Idieally one for skyping,watching films and since I am going travelling soon need one with long battery life. Size isn't a problem.

thanks.

edit-attached a picture of the problem I was on about.

I got the galaxy tab s,  so far it is doing everything you said well
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5085 on: July 7, 2014, 10:50:11 am »
Don't have an sd card so this might be a load of rubbish but could you not copy the sd card contents to say a pc then reformat the card and copy the files back ?

Yeah, will probably end up doing that, just wondered if it was a known issue and is likely to keep happening.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline lfcss

• dull
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5086 on: August 21, 2014, 07:34:09 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap tablet (about £100 give or take a bit) that will run sky go? My mum ended up with 2 tablets (long story) and I was going to have one of hers but although you can download the app it wouldn't actually work. Had a look on Amazon but I'm concerned I'll end up picking one that does the dame thing. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
If there's a Mrs Skrtel she probably has to wear shinpads to bed.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5087 on: August 23, 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
Samsung have completely saturated the tablet market filling it with tablets of all sizes and incredibly confusing names. BUT, with the Pro series I think they've nailed it. Had a play round with the Pro 8.4 and it's excellent, screen is superb. It's about 230 on amazon I think
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5088 on: August 23, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap tablet (about £100 give or take a bit) that will run sky go? My mum ended up with 2 tablets (long story) and I was going to have one of hers but although you can download the app it wouldn't actually work. Had a look on Amazon but I'm concerned I'll end up picking one that does the dame thing. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
It should work on a Hudl but you might have problems with the HDMI out on it. You can get a refurbished one for 59 quid to try it though. They are an absolute bargain at full price so that is a steal!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-7-Lcd-Tablet-16Gb-Android-4-2-Webcam-Bluetooth-Quad-Core-Black-/351149322746?

Offline lfcss

• dull
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5089 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:03 pm »
It should work on a Hudl but you might have problems with the HDMI out on it. You can get a refurbished one for 59 quid to try it though. They are an absolute bargain at full price so that is a steal!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-7-Lcd-Tablet-16Gb-Android-4-2-Webcam-Bluetooth-Quad-Core-Black-/351149322746?

Thanks Currys are doing tab 3s for 99 quid so picked up one of those, so far so good

If there's a Mrs Skrtel she probably has to wear shinpads to bed.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5090 on: September 1, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »
gonna get the wife a nexus 7, she suffers from MS so a lightweight tablet is ideal for her.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5091 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:34 pm »
Read a couple of reviews on the lg gpad google play edition (gpe) and read that the device reads the memory card files no problem but could not write to them......can anyone confirm if this is correct ?

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #5092 on: September 13, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »
Can anyone recommend any good places to get an iPad 2 case? I bought one from the Apple store when I had it a year ago and it's looking pretty grubby.

Cheers  :wave
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #5093 on: September 13, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »
Tk maxx usually has plenty and ebay has em dirt cheap from Hong Kong, I'd never pay 50 quid for one like they want in the apple shop.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #5094 on: September 14, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
Tk maxx usually has plenty and ebay has em dirt cheap from Hong Kong, I'd never pay 50 quid for one like they want in the apple shop.
Cheers, I'd never have thought TK Maxx! I paid about £35 for the one I have and I thought that was steep. I'd never pay more than that again.
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5095 on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:50 pm »
Anyone able to recommend a good external battery pack for iPad Air? Got a Mophie one for my iPhone which works great but the one for Ipad is ridiculously expensive (£69), just looking for something that'll do the job on long flights and car journeys.

Can anyone recommend any good places to get an iPad 2 case? I bought one from the Apple store when I had it a year ago and it's looking pretty grubby.

Cheers  :wave
You can find some real bargains on eBay. Got a flip case, screen protector and a stylus pen for my iPad Air last week, for £2.20!

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5096 on: September 19, 2014, 10:50:52 am »
Does anyone want to use a 15GB Mobile internet a month contract for say half price of what it is normally?

Signed up to a 24 month contract a few months ago but im not gonna use it now as work have supplied me with an Ipad air with some data plan and they have paid for it all :butt

If anyone wants to use it give us a pm and we can sort something out

Offline LCDP

• Still In The Closet.
  • Legacy Fan
  • in search of Narnia!
« Reply #5097 on: September 28, 2014, 03:09:26 pm »
What would people recommend for a laptop replacement and as I don't have a tablet would it be worth getting one that can achieve both services?

I need Microsoft office for work purposes along with programs such as Rosetta Stone for personal use and streaming footy on the internet via Acestream etc.
Currently have an Xperia phone and very much like Google Play Store.
Join Betfair, enter this referral code: AQFHMVNPL and enjoy some free money, Simples!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »
I've got an ipad 2, understand its a few years old like but for Apple to release an update and basically brick the fucking thing (especially the browser) is pretty good fucking achievement on there part. Will never buy an apple product again, they've completely lost there way.

Can anyone recommend a decent android tablet? Was looking at the nexus 10 but it's a couple of years old isn't it? And the price still seems high considering the length of time it's been out.. Looking for something a similar size to an ipad2

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5099 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:33 pm »
I've got an ipad 2, understand its a few years old like but for Apple to release an update and basically brick the fucking thing (especially the browser) is pretty good fucking achievement on there part. Will never buy an apple product again, they've completely lost there way.

What version iOS you using?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5100 on: October 16, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »
8.02. I've took steps to fix it (following other people's advice, such as resetting network connections but no luck. Literally can't scroll on safari or chrome, I type a letter and it just freezes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5101 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »
8.02. I've took steps to fix it (following other people's advice, such as resetting network connections but no luck. Literally can't scroll on safari or chrome, I type a letter and it just freezes.

I've an iPad 2 too, but haven't updated it from 7 thankfully, which is why I was asking!

They are due to release some big updates (8.1) very shortly so hopefully that'll help you out.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #5102 on: October 16, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
The Nexus 9 was just announced yesterday. Might be worth checking out. Looks lovely.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5103 on: October 16, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »
Anyone got the new Hudl 2 from Tesco?  Looks a good spec tablet for the money and was thinking of getting the kid one.

From what I've read it seems to be pretty much a vanilla android build with a few apps but others have suggested that it's bloated with tesco apps and crap that can't be removed?

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5104 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »
Stand by uneducated masses, the new iPads are about to be announced!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5105 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:56 pm »
Stand by uneducated masses, the new iPads are about to be announced!

;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5106 on: October 16, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
Anyone got the new Hudl 2 from Tesco?  Looks a good spec tablet for the money and was thinking of getting the kid one.

From what I've read it seems to be pretty much a vanilla android build with a few apps but others have suggested that it's bloated with tesco apps and crap that can't be removed?

I was just looking at this in store today, looks very smart. I have a Hudl and love it, the new one is slightly bigger, thinner and lighter and has a rubber edging which I would love on mine after dropping it in the street today and chipping the edge! I think for what they do they are a bargain, and if you have Tesco club card points you can get it half price too, I got my Hudl and a case last year for £70 all in. The Tesco app - on the original Hudl anyway - you can just ignore as far as I'm concerned, I never go on it and wouldn't know it was there but for the little T at the bottom of the screen, it certainly doesn't detract from the tablet for me. Am tempted to upgrade to the Hudl2 but there's nothing wrong with mine so daft really. A great option for kids IMO.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: October 16, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »
if you want to watch the apple keynote on pc

just open vlc, go to open network stream and paste

http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/14pounqefvoiubefvpiub10/m3u8/atv_mvp.m3u8

STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5108 on: October 16, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
Apple have apparently upgraded the iPad mini 2 by slashing the price by $100 and bringing out a gold coloured model and calling it iPad mini 3.  It's fucking genius and will no doubt be lapped up by people with more money than common sense!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5109 on: October 16, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
the only difference between the 2 and 3 is touch id

and a hundred bucks

if people buy this they are morons
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #5110 on: October 17, 2014, 10:30:54 am »
i bought an ipad 4 which should be here today, im just wondering whether ive made the right choice. i paid £290, thats with a 10% discount. i was seriously considering the ipad air but i just couldnt justify the extra £100, to me its really just lighter and slightly faster, i mainly use my tablets to watch youtube and facebook, nothing else really. dont know why im still doubting myself, i think all this talk of the ipad air 2 is getting me excited! :) still, not sure whether to send it back and buy an ipad air.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5111 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
Looking for a cheap tablet to take on holiday with me. The Fusion5 things on Amazon are dirt cheap, anyone used one? Either that or the Hudl2. Want something cheap that I would not be fussed with losing.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5112 on: October 24, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »
Looking for a cheap tablet to take on holiday with me. The Fusion5 things on Amazon are dirt cheap, anyone used one? Either that or the Hudl2. Want something cheap that I would not be fussed with losing.

Hudl2 looks very very nice for the money.  Decent spec and looks good as well.  Depending if you have clubcard vouchers you can boost them up and get the Hudl2 for as little as £65

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #5113 on: October 24, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »
I can get 20% off the new Ipad Air 2 this weekend - basically £320. Still on two minds to just go all out for it. Just don't whether I'll get its full value worth for just casually browsing and watching Netflix..
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5114 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:09 pm »
What's the new Hudl like?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: October 24, 2014, 10:10:40 pm »
Hudl2 looks very very nice for the money.  Decent spec and looks good as well.  Depending if you have clubcard vouchers you can boost them up and get the Hudl2 for as little as £65
Yeah it does look nice. Stopped shopping in Tesco so not enough club card points. I think I'm going to go for it.
What's the new Hudl like?
Will post a review once I get it.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5116 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:57 pm »

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5117 on: October 24, 2014, 10:23:16 pm »
Getting very good reviews

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tesco-hudl-2-review
I hope you can get rid of the Tesco bloat.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5118 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »

I have the original Hudl and you really don't know the Tesco stuff is there unless you accidentally click on the T on the bottom of the screen. Unless this has changed with the Hudl2 I wouldn't let it put you off.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5119 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:24 pm »

That's one of the things I was worried about and apparently you can or put a different launcher on it.

The only bad thing I've heard about is the battery life but not sure exactly how bad it is or how it compares to other tablets