Author Topic: The Concerts and Festivals Thread!  (Read 122687 times)

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Re: The Concerts and Festivals Thread!
« Reply #240 on: September 8, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »
Just secured tickets for Roger Waters - The Wall next may in Copenhagen. :wellin

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: September 8, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »
Going to bestival, leaving at 7 tomorrow, can't wait.
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #242 on: September 9, 2010, 12:22:34 am »
Going to bestival, leaving at 7 tomorrow, can't wait.

Half 7 start for me!
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2010, 12:08:22 am »
Just worked the 'Example' pre-Bestival gig, it was fucking bouncing. I'm not normally a huge fan of that sort of stuff but it was genuinely good. Too many pissed up dickheads around as per.
psn = Lents123

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2010, 07:44:25 am »
Dave Swarbrick and Martin Carthy at the Phil tonight. Looking forward to seeing Swarb - a legend if ever there was one. Not many people have read their own obituary http://www.alexlyons.co.uk/atrax/swarb_archive/obituary_files/telegraph_obituary.htm

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »
Don't know if anyone on here went Creamfields, but Swedish House Mafia were supposed to be fucking quality. Watched a vid on youtube of it.. wow. Saw them the following day at Mambo in Ibiza. I was almost touching myself inappropriately.
Were all of them there?

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:43 pm »
saw Iron and Wine last sunday at the grand palace in leeds.......top gig.

opened with flightless bird,american mouth,sung acapella,then straight into the trapeze swinger and upwards over the mountain for the first three songs! i was speechless. im not now,i wont fuckin shut up about it............
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »
Only starting to get over how good Wilco were last friday at the Open Door festival in Belfast ..  Field Music and the Felice brothers supported and both went down really well but Wilco were on another level altogether ... have to mention the venue .. the promoters have set up a sort of temporary concert venue in the middle of Custom House Square in the Lagan bank area of the city centre .. the surprise for me given that it's only temporary was firstly how good it looked ... the roof had been draped in dark material which hung down in folds from the ceiling then the entire length of the venue was covered in white fairy lights which gave the whole place a really magical feel ... the second surprise was that the sound quality was stunningly good ..  your £32 ticket got you about 45 minutes of Field Music, about an hour of the Felices and 2 and a half stunning hours of Wilco ... they started with "Ashes of American Flags" which came over as understated, atmospheric and sort of quietly overpowering ... then ran through their back catalogue ... noticable that they only did a handful of tracks from the newer albums, from which "Bull Black Nova" was superb, but they had plenty of time for tracks from the likes of "Summerteeth" (still can't get "via chicago" out of my head ... "Shot in the Arm" and "I Can't Stand It" were brilliant too ) and "Being There" (A rousing "End of the Century" and "Outtasite (Out of Mind)")  but the majority of the set came from the two classics "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "A Ghost is Born"  ...  even "Heavy Metal Drummer", probably my least favourite Wilco song sounded great on the night so you an imagine how good tracks like "Handshake Drugs", "I am trying to break your heart" , "She's A Jar" , "How to Fight Loneliness" , "At Least Thats What You Said", "Hummingbirds" and "I'm A Wheel" sounded .... the band looked like they were having a ball, really enjoying themselves and Jeff Tweedy was a lot more outgoing than I'd imagined he'd be ..  this was one of the best gigs I've ever been to and considering I've been going to gigs for over 30 years that's quite a statement ...  true nonetheless
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:05:08 pm by Victor »
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »
Were all of them there?

In Mambo? No, think I read earlier about you saying only one of them showed up? I should have said I saw Axwell at Mambo. My guess they list it as SHM all over the flyers, then the 3 of them bugger off to wherever they fancy maybe 3 different places at once....

Offline oldboybailey

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:47 pm »
Subline are playin in Manchester on Thursday the 7th of October. Everyone should go.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »
This years Supersonic festival in Brum looks tasty... properly priced too. http://www.supersonicfestival.com/

Hallogallo look likely to headline a night (Michael Rother et al, can't work out what night tho) but an impressive line up - Napalm Death, some action from the Boredoms and Master Musicians of Bukakke (who I'm guessing have never played in UK)... lots more too... Melt Banana, Godflesh...

Fear Of Music, Zeni Geva, Nicholas Bullen presents ‘Breach’, Supersonic Noise Boxes, Blue Sabbath Black Fiji, Cave, Demons (with Sick Llama), 77 BOA DRUM (Boredoms), Mugstar, Part Wild Horses Mane On Both Sides, Ikon Eastside, Jailbreak, Factory Floor, Eagle Twin, Dosh, Peter Broderick, Stinky Wizzleteat, James Blackshaw, Dead Fader, Bong, Swans, Sublime Frequencies – Palace Of The Winds, Cloaks DJ set, Grand Union, Pierre Bastien + Male Instrumenty, Hallogallo, Gnod, Lash Frenzy vs KK Null, Project Pigeon, Burning (Mogwai), Melt Banana, Steve Tromans and Dan Nicholls, OvO, Tweak Bird, Devilman, PCM, Godflesh, Barn Owl, Drumcorps, Lichens, Necro Deathmort, Gnaw, Gods White Noise, People Like Us, Gum Takes Tooth, Khyam Allami & Master Musicians of Bukkake present: Bosphorean, Fukpig, King Midas Sound, Nisennenmondai, Black Sun Drum Corps, Napalm Death, Eastside Projects, Voice Of The Seven Thunders

ah: (even DJ Scotch Egg... ace)

Friday 22nd October 9pm – 2.30am Tickets £20 Headlined by Napalm Death with Dead Fader, Demons (feat Sick Llama), Devil Man (feat DJ Scotch Egg), Drumcorps, Fukpig, Gum Takes Tooth, Necro Deathmort, PCM

Saturday 23rd October 4pm – 1.30am Tickets £35 Headlined by Godflesh + Melt Banana with Blue Sabbath Black Fiji, Cave, Cloaks (DJ set), Dosh, Eagle Twin, Gnaw, Gnod, King Midas Touch, Lash Frenzy vs KK Null, Lichens, Melt Banana, oVo, Part Wild Horses Mane On Both Sides, People Like Us, Steve Troman & Dan Nicholls Duo, Stinky Wizzleteat, Tweak Bird + talks, films, workshops, market place, tea room

Sunday 24th October 2pm – 12.30am Tickets £35 Headlined by Swans + Hallogallo with Barn Owl, Black Sun Drum Corps, Bong, Factory Floor, Jailbreak feat. Chris Corsano + Heather Leigh, James Blackshaw, Master Musicians of Bukkake + Khyam Allami, Mugstar, Nisennenmondai, Peter Broderick, Pierre Bastien & Male Instrumenty, Voice Of The Seven Thunders, Zeni Geva + talks, films, workshops, market place, tea room
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:44:47 pm by Filler. »

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:50 am »
Just got tickets for Iron And Wine at the phil in march,cant wait!

And got The Black Keys in a week or so at the L2,should be a good night methinks......

Henry Rollins

Offline eitzel

• ong way to Tipperary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Didnt even know Probe had moved
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »
Never really liked the idea of music festivals to be honest but have bought tickets for this..

http://www.fielddayfestivals.com/

I thought I would mention this one day festival only because the quality of the line up is fantastic, with more to be announced.
'An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. '

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2011, 02:32:35 pm »
Coldplay & Beyonce to headline Glastonbury...

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:42 pm »
Coldplay & Beyonce to headline Glastonbury...

If it really is U2 for the other night aswell that's a pathetic showing.
psn = Lents123

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »

If it really is U2 for the other night aswell that's a pathetic showing.

looks like it will be U2

Pyramid stage at Glastonbury is all about big shows and all 3 of the headliners will put on a big show, i can't stand Coldplay or U2, but will be there for Beyonce - great voice and a looker

my job this year was confirmed today

:)
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
If you get the chance to go and see White Lies live, easily recommended by me.
Managed to see then at the hmv brum on valentines, and they were superb.
Mainly the new music from Ritual,with the odd couple from their last album.And
The Power and the Glory live is magic,whole place bouncing.
9/10 from me.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »
If you get the chance to go and see White Lies live, easily recommended by me.
Managed to see then at the hmv brum on valentines, and they were superb.
Mainly the new music from Ritual,with the odd couple from their last album.And
The Power and the Glory live is magic,whole place bouncing.
9/10 from me.

Saw them 2 or 3 years ago supporting Glasvegas and thought they were absolutely superb, their debut album didn't live up to the excellence of their 1st couple of singles though and was quite a let down IMO. I've not even bothered with their latest album.

Crystal Castles remix of Death is pretty essential though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_uDoTmokUM&playnext=1&list=PLE66541F0DF4BA468
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:13:05 pm by Adeemo »
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Shark Sandwich

• Shit Sandwich
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:32 pm »
Never really liked the idea of music festivals to be honest but have bought tickets for this..

http://www.fielddayfestivals.com/

I thought I would mention this one day festival only because the quality of the line up is fantastic, with more to be announced.

I've been the past few years. Last years was fantastic, the line up was decent and the weather was spot on, too. The previous 2 years the weather was awful and really put a damper on things.

This years line up is already shaping up to be the best yet. It's right on my doorstep too so it's a must.
"What's wrong with being sexy?"

Offline Shark Sandwich

• Shit Sandwich
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
Also, not my bag but for anyone who's interested, Arctic Monkeys will be headlining V.

Offline eitzel

• ong way to Tipperary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Didnt even know Probe had moved
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »
I've been the past few years. Last years was fantastic, the line up was decent and the weather was spot on, too. The previous 2 years the weather was awful and really put a damper on things.

This years line up is already shaping up to be the best yet. It's right on my doorstep too so it's a must.

Will you be bringing the butties then mate?

Really looking forward to it
'An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. '

Offline Shark Sandwich

• Shit Sandwich
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »

Will you be bringing the butties then mate?

Really looking forward to it

;D

Aye, and for £35 you cannot complain.

Offline TropicalRed

• Winner of the inaugral RAWK award for the highest number of youtube clips of godawful bands.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
Georgia Satellites, London Town and Country Club

:o

I too saw the Georgia Satellites at the Town & Country club...must have been 1988ish...a great show, I remember walking out and my leather jacket was soaked with sweat from 2+ hours of headbanging/jumping up and down/singing along & generally having a great time!!

Good Memories...thanks!!
Just a word about my Avatar..I am Liverpool, I have always been Liverpool and I will remain Liverpool until my dying day. Me Mam come's from Hartlepool so this avatar is for my dear old mam!!

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:52 am »
KT Tunstall started her tour this weekend, she was brilliant last night. Can't recommend her enough. Tickets are really cheap too

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »
Big Audio Dynamite are doing a tour.....reformed after many years.

Anyone who wants to see some proper music go and see this lot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12277272

http://www.gigsandtours.com/gat/event.asp?artist=big+audio+dynamite&e|promoter=372&resultsperpage=50&orderby=date,time&filler1=gigsandtours&filler2=badgoo

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
Saw Bassnectar over the weekend, was fantastic. Bass was so heavy and loud it shut his computer off twice! 5000 people jumping around and just having a good time ... great to see

Offline Anything Will Do

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2011, 11:13:16 am »
Got my tickets for T in the Park today, made up!

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: March 3, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »
Flaming Lips are playing at The Eden Sessions in Cornwall in the summer.....sweet

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #268 on: March 3, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »
Roger Waters performing The Wall in Copenhagen on May 7th... Can't wait!!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 3, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »
One of my all time favourite bands, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, are headlining a night at All Tomorrow's Parties in May. I have never seen them live (they have played in UK only once and I was abroad), I have all their LP's, I exchanged emails with Anne way back, I adore them. They stopped touring/writing together for years but have been brought back out of the blue to torment me. And I'm set to miss them again. Tickets are way out of my league.

No point in putting up any youtube link at all when it comes to TFUL282. No point at all.

maybe a nice intro... a play list that kicks off here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1q82-ftAg&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXdR0mSXYw65J5Axx3TqQH0S
« Last Edit: March 3, 2011, 10:57:05 pm by Filler. »

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 7, 2011, 07:57:16 pm »
Tickets for both BAD in Bristol and Flaming Lips at the Eden Sessions in the bag.

Can't wait

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 8, 2011, 12:25:15 am »
What festivals are people going to then? I'm going to V (only because I get free tickets- awful line-up this year), Benicassim and maybe a day of Wireless. Gigs in the pipeline are MC Solaar, Belle & Sebastian and Arcade Fire as well. Life is good!

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #272 on: March 8, 2011, 09:47:28 am »
got tickets for fleet foxes! woo hoo!

Henry Rollins

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #273 on: March 8, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »
TITP fir me JIQ

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #274 on: March 8, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »
I have Wire playing in Montreal in a couple of weeks.  Anyone seen them live lately?

Then I have Mogwai a month later.  First time for me and I'm really looking forward to it.

And then I've booked some time off to attend the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago in July.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #275 on: March 8, 2011, 07:32:59 pm »
What festivals are people going to then? I'm going to V (only because I get free tickets- awful line-up this year), Benicassim and maybe a day of Wireless. Gigs in the pipeline are MC Solaar, Belle & Sebastian and Arcade Fire as well. Life is good!

I'll probably end up at leeds festival as usual. The only other gig I have lined up is QOTSA at Manchester Academy. Can't wait for that.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a good festival (preferably 3+ days) somewhere in Eastern Europe. Never really been over that way and fancy giving it a go. Something that's not too dance orientated and nothing too massive.

Cheers.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a good festival (preferably 3+ days) somewhere in Eastern Europe. Never really been over that way and fancy giving it a go. Something that's not too dance orientated and nothing too massive.

Cheers.

I was going to say Exit down in Novi Sad.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
I was going to say Exit down in Novi Sad.

Exit is a bit dance heavy though innit.

There is a Balkan Brass Band festival which is supposed to be a good laugh
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »
I used to work as a roadie for a couple of bands touring America and whatnot. I have toured with bands such as; Megadeth, Machine Head, Type O Negative, Lordi, Korn, Atreyu, Suicide Silence, Drowning Pool, Soil, Evanescence, Fly Leaf, 5 Finger Death Punch to name a few.

So technically, i have been to a hell of a lot of shows. Be assed listing them though.

I won't go to live shows anymore, they're too loud. I would only make exceptions for icons such as Iron Maiden, Eminem, Eric Claptop etc.

As for festivals, just no. Went to Download Fest last year, never ever again in my life.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:23:03 pm by DavidF9T »