Author Topic: Anxiety - anyone else suffer from it?  (Read 17624 times)

Offline liverbird_soph

• Fitter than Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anxiety - anyone else suffer from it?
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »
So many useful tips in there and seem easy to implement in my life. I will get to them!!

I already use magnesium supplements (I'm allergic to nuts and chocolate, source of magnesium) when I feel really low. Usually for about a week, and then I'm fine again. It's just like an extra boost.
I'm addicted to cola/caffeine, which sometimes is pretty much the only thing I drink. But I'm really trying to cut that down. I'm already on half the amount of caffeine drinks, than i was a few months ago.
I will look into the other vitamins, and see if I can put some extra of them in my daily foods.

Perhaps talk to your doctor or chemist about taking magnesium for a longer period of time, rather than just as a fix when you're not feeling good. You never know, it could help you to avoid the lows in the first place? Go through dosage with them, as obviously too much of something can be just as bad as not enough of something.

Keep on trying to cut out the coke! It will help! :) Decaffeinated coke isn't an answer I'm afraid, as it has a load of other chemicals in it that are just as bad as the caffeine.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:12:27 pm by liverbird_soph »
Above all else comes truth & justice.

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »

If you think that i can share your worries then let me know, I'd be happy to.

Always good to share, isn't it! I always wanted to find an Agoraphobics Anonymous club, problem was you just knew no one would turn up!! :)

Sorry to hear you've been going through an anxiety problem Dr C! :(

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »

Since it's partly hormonal, I might not have a choice (or is there a way to balance hormones naturally?)

The Endocrine System (Glands) and Yoga.

Yoga Health are two words which are very closely related. The yoga health benefit is widely known. Yoga is there to aid both your physical and mental health. Therefore, most people who are interested in practising yoga do so for health reasons. They want to ease their back pain or want to know a method to relieve stress. This yoga and health section takes a closer look at how your body functions and how yoga can benefit your body.

Female Sex Hormones (ovaries)

The ovaries are the main source of oestrogen, the hormone which regulates the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, breast feeding and female physical appearance and sexuality.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/health/glands.asp

http://colveyco.com/gallery-annex/yoga/yoga5b.html

Hope they are of help.

PS - Dont expect to feel any results immediately. It takes time but it's a long term solution, free and there is no side effects and has been practised before Western Medicine even knew what the endocrine system was. In a few words. IT WORKS!

PS - It's nice to see people being helping others in this thread. Have a guess what?  Altruism is are most natural instinct.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:27:19 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2010, 01:32:02 am »
Decaffeinated coke isn't an answer I'm afraid, as it has a load of other chemicals in it that are just as bad as the caffeine.

You've been very kind to help people out with your experiences and advice Soph, but I'm not sure I can accept that you can just assert to someone something like this as fact. Decaff coke maybe just what the guy needs in the interim - what are the loads of chemicals you're so concerned about?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:51 am »
You've been very kind to help people out with your experiences and advice Soph, but I'm not sure I can accept that you can just assert to someone something like this as fact. Decaff coke maybe just what the guy needs in the interim - what are the loads of chemicals you're so concerned about?

Everything I've said is something I was advised by a member of the medical profession: doctor or nutritionist, who I went to for advice on eating for anxiety. I wouldn't say something on a whim or try to dish out advice that was based purely on opinion. Especially not for something as sensitive as anxiety.

However you do have a valid point. If someone is quite addicted to cola drinks, then the decaff version could well be a good idea in the interim rather than just suddenly having nothing.

I was told the various form of sugar, fructose and artifical sugars in the drink were hazardous to anxiety, as they can be as stimulating for the body as the caffeine. More artifical sweetners are found in diet and caffeine free versions and these artifical sweetners actually spike sugar levels in your system more than "real" sugar. I have a sheet somewhere with more specific names of the problem chemicals - I'll try to find it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:22:50 am by liverbird_soph »

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »
The Endocrine System (Glands) and Yoga.

Yoga Health are two words which are very closely related. The yoga health benefit is widely known. Yoga is there to aid both your physical and mental health. Therefore, most people who are interested in practising yoga do so for health reasons. They want to ease their back pain or want to know a method to relieve stress. This yoga and health section takes a closer look at how your body functions and how yoga can benefit your body.

Female Sex Hormones (ovaries)

The ovaries are the main source of oestrogen, the hormone which regulates the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, breast feeding and female physical appearance and sexuality.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/health/glands.asp

http://colveyco.com/gallery-annex/yoga/yoga5b.html

Hope they are of help.

PS - Dont expect to feel any results immediately. It takes time but it's a long term solution, free and there is no side effects and has been practised before Western Medicine even knew what the endocrine system was. In a few words. IT WORKS!

PS - It's nice to see people being helping others in this thread. Have a guess what?  Altruism is are most natural instinct.

Thank you for the websites. I'll look into them!
I'm very much busy with short term solutions at the moment, and not really thought about long term. So yoga might just be the long term solution I'm looking for.

And you are very right about this thread. I expected it to fall in the hand of the joke-makers etc. but to my surprise it's still a very helpful thread.

I think that whatever advice is given on a forum, should be read with some cautions in the back of your mind. What is helpful for one person, might not work for the other. What is healthy for one might not be for you or me. You always need to read this type of threads with the own healthy amount of braincells.
But that doesn't mean the advice given is wrong, not helpful or even unwanted. I think all the advice, tips and experiences should be shared. The reader then can do what they want with it...
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

- what are the loads of chemicals you're so concerned about?

Aspartame.

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html

Thank you for the websites. I'll look into them!
I'm very much busy with short term solutions at the moment, and not really thought about long term. So yoga might just be the long term solution I'm looking for.

And you are very right about this thread. I expected it to fall in the hand of the joke-makers etc. but to my surprise it's still a very helpful thread.

It's a full moon tonight by the way people.

Be careful.    ;)

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:23 pm »
I think that whatever advice is given on a forum, should be read with some cautions in the back of your mind. What is helpful for one person, might not work for the other. What is healthy for one might not be for you or me. You always need to read this type of threads with the own healthy amount of braincells.
But that doesn't mean the advice given is wrong, not helpful or even unwanted. I think all the advice, tips and experiences should be shared. The reader then can do what they want with it...

Really glad you see it that way! Wasn't trying to tell you (or anyone) what to do, just sharing some tips that I learnt and found helpful during my recovery for you to take or leave as you please. I could give you pages of tips and techniques, but there will never be a substitute for finding your own doctor who is supportive and who can talk you through this kind of stuff with your own medical history in mind.

As for the decaf coke thing - really I meant that what you were doing (cutting down the coke slowly) was a good thing and better than just replacing it with the same quantity in decaf. There were genuine medical reasons behind that statement, but a very valid point was brought up. You do what is best for you and what you feel most comfortable with.

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Finally went and saw a GP about my anxiety this week.

Over the past month or so I've been having on and off attacks. Last Saturday I couldn't sit still in my own house for worrying about things and went walking out and about for 2 hours. Losing my appetite, constant headache, twitches, sweaty palms, no energy and a feeling that everything will go wrong.

Been asked to take a blood test and being referred to a counsellor for an assessment. Can't wait to get myself sorted and get rid of my anxiety once and for all.

Anyone else have any success stories?
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline ElmAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »
Positive thinking, regulate your breathing, remember your in the majority not the minority.Lots of people including the most powerfull in our country all suffer anxiety issues. Things will ease and get better- talking or writing about it is a massive step.
I find running a great help or a walk from Loggerheads to Moel Fammau (do this twice a month only an hour;s drive-  from L'Pool)  all this helps- but the biggest help is to fight your anxiety not run away- Fight not Flight (You'll here that alot)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »
Finally went and saw a GP about my anxiety this week.

Over the past month or so I've been having on and off attacks. Last Saturday I couldn't sit still in my own house for worrying about things and went walking out and about for 2 hours. Losing my appetite, constant headache, twitches, sweaty palms, no energy and a feeling that everything will go wrong.

Been asked to take a blood test and being referred to a counsellor for an assessment. Can't wait to get myself sorted and get rid of my anxiety once and for all.

Anyone else have any success stories?

Hope it all goes well for you and you get sorted. The good thing is you've asked for help before its gone out of control.

I had to have my Dad sectioned under the mental health act last night. Same symptoms as you but massively magnified. He's split with his wife in September, he's never had to live on his own and my Mum and his current wife always took care of the bills. He's gone into some kind of panic stage and is severly depressed and extremely anxious, scratching chunks out of himself because he thinks he cant pay his bills. He thinks his £90 per month loan is going to escalate and will be over £1 million by this time next year, that he's going to get sacked from his job and lose both their houses. None of this is true. Spent 9 hours in the Royal last night watching him walk round the room like a caged Tiger, ranting on like fuck. He's now in a unit near the Anglican.

Finding it hard to have much sympathy for him as he's always been a selfish bastard, a shite father to me and our kid, crap grandad and useless husband. But, my Mum (lost her 4 years ago) would of wanted me to look out for him and would of been disgusted in me if I turned my back on him now, so I'm dealing with it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:23 pm »
Hope it all goes well for you and you get sorted. The good thing is you've asked for help before its gone out of control.

I had to have my Dad sectioned under the mental health act last night. Same symptoms as you but massively magnified. He's split with his wife in September, he's never had to live on his own and my Mum and his current wife always took care of the bills. He's gone into some kind of panic stage and is severly depressed and extremely anxious, scratching chunks out of himself because he thinks he cant pay his bills. He thinks his £90 per month loan is going to escalate and will be over £1 million by this time next year, that he's going to get sacked from his job and lose both their houses. None of this is true. Spent 9 hours in the Royal last night watching him walk round the room like a caged Tiger, ranting on like fuck. He's now in a unit near the Anglican.

Finding it hard to have much sympathy for him as he's always been a selfish bastard, a shite father to me and our kid, crap grandad and useless husband. But, my Mum (lost her 4 years ago) would of wanted me to look out for him and would of been disgusted in me if I turned my back on him now, so I'm dealing with it.
Sorry to hear that. Puts my situation into perspective and I definitely think you're doing the right thing by helping him out.
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Had OCD since I was about 6/7. I'm 27 now. Can get very difficult at times.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline ynwa83

• Anny Roader
  • Throw me that lifeline
« Reply #173 on: December 2, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »
Anxiety really is a bitch. I had it flare up and I became aware of it about this time last year, but in retrospect, its been something I've been dealing with, on and off, for years. Funny thing is, a few years ago I wouldn't have said I was a worrier.

Its a bitch tho... people don't really understand. The whole 'get over it' thing is all well and good for someone whos purely a little worried or nervous, but it doesn't do anything for full blown anxiety.

I've found my anxiety generally to be worry over things from the distant past. Really stupid irrational shit. However, my mother passed in April and since then I've developed bad health anxiety. Fear (mostly) of cancer consumes me some days. A pain here, a symptom there, and I've diagnosed myself and emulated scarios in my head where I'm terminal and have 6 months to live. Funnily enough, my mother didn't even die from cancer.

If I'm having a better day, lately its just a feel of general impending doom. Money worry. More family death. Girlfriend issues. Social issues. None of which are real. I just create scenarios where they become reality. It probably sounds daft to someone who doesn't suffer from it..