Author Topic: GAA Thread 2010  (Read 198956 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: GAA Thread 2010
« Reply #2360 on: September 21, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »
Question is now that Cork have broken the jinx can they push on to win a few all irelands?? 

I hope so. Although it must be said that they didn't play to their full potential this year. They gift wrapped the Munster title for Kerry when they should have seen out the game from a winning position with only seconds to go. When you're playing against a team of Kerrys calibre then they'll gladly pounce on any mistake, which they did. Cork stumbled a little bit against Roscommon, then had to pull it out of the jaws of defeat against Dublin, before reeling Down back in the final. None of those performances really saw Cork playing at their best. They made heavy weather of winning this title. Then again, so did Kerry last year.

The one thing that was evident though during the Down & Dublin games especially, was Corks refusal to give up. This is probably borne from the fact that over the last 5 years they have built up a wealth of experience, coupled with sheer determination to finally win the 1 trophy they want the most . I firmly believe that the final defeats of 07 and 09 to Kerry is what drove this Cork team to scramble over the line in the end. Even when it was looking ominous against Dublin, they kept going and going.

Had the current Dublin team suffered 2 final defeats, and had a couple more years experience under their belts, then its highly likely we would have seen a different result. Same goes for Down. But thats football, they'll both get their chances in the coming years to earn their stripes, so to speak. Granted it wasn't pretty stuff from Cork this year, but I'll take substance over style anyday as long as there is a trophy at the end of it all. It's not performances that count, its results. Kerry last year are a perfect example of that. I said before the game that I don't give a fuck how we do it, just as long as we do it, and thank fuck we did it.

Can we go on and win more? I think we can yes. The competition for Sam is certainly tough, but I think Cork have shown enough resillience this year to merit them being serious contenders for the next 3 years or so. Hopefully with a bit of luck we can do it again.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2361 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:34 pm »
Absoloutely packed wasnt it.Great atmosphere.Town was hopping last night

Where did the team end up? The Imperial?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #2362 on: September 22, 2010, 03:05:40 pm »
Where did the team end up? The Imperial?
Not sure really,they went for drinks in Havanas anyway,was talking to a few of the minors in there and I know Ciaran Sheehan aswell so was good to get to congratulate all them.Dont know where they went after that though,they were down in Bantry last night anyway
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2363 on: September 22, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »
Felt sorry for Cork minors on Sunday, they just ran out of time. Though I was surprised at that Tyrone team letting that lead slip like that.

Some scumbags decided to target Benny Coulter and Damien Rafferty's sports shop when they were in Dublin on Sunday night, hope the fuckers get caught.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2364 on: September 23, 2010, 08:15:32 pm »
Bit surprised at some of the nominations for the All Stars.

Mainly at the exclusions of Cluxton and Rafferty and the inclusion of Joyce.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2365 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:11 pm »
GOALKEEPERS -- Brendan McVeigh (Down); Pascal McConnell (Tyrone); Alan Quirke (Cork).

FULL-BACKS -- Charlie Harrison (Sligo), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Philip McMahon (Dublin), Dan Gordon (Down), Justin McMahon (Tyrone), Michael Shields (Cork), Peter Kelly (Kildare), Marc O Se (Kerry), John O'Brien (Louth).

HALF-BACKS -- Tomas O Se (Kerry), Paudie Kissane (Cork), Noel O'Leary (Cork), Graham Canty (Cork), Kevin McKernan (Down), Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Eamonn Callaghan (Kildare), Joe McMahon (Tyrone).

MIDFIELDERS -- Aidan Walsh (Cork), Nicholas Murphy (Cork), Kalum King (Down), Paddy Keenan (Louth), Michael Darragh MacAuley (Dublin), John Galvin (Limerick).

HALF-FORWARDS-- Paddy Kelly (Cork), Marty Clarke (Down), Daniel Hughes (Down), Graham Reilly (Meath), Joe Sheridan (Meath), John Doyle (Kildare), Paul Kerrigan (Cork), Seamus Kenny (Meath), Cathal Cregg (Roscommon).

FULL-FORWARDS -- Daniel Goulding (Cork), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Donie Shine (Roscommon), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Donncha O'Connor (Cork), David Kelly (Sligo), Benny Coulter (Down), James Kavanagh (Kildare), Padraic Joyce (Galway).

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: September 23, 2010, 09:43:35 pm »
Padraic Joyce (Galway).

Jesus Christ they must have ran out of decent forwards in the country.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2367 on: September 23, 2010, 09:47:01 pm »
Don't see it ending up too differently from team of the year, although I hope room is found for the two Brendans from Down.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2368 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:04 am »
A bit late but I'll hope you'll understand, congrats to our friends across the county bounds truly the best team in Ireland 2010

Now I hope Billy and a few more will get off Donncha's back. He showed himself what a leader he is and was instrumental in pulling Cork over the line, the thought of going back to Ballydesmond again empty handed was too much for him to bare.

Sam will be in the village next weekend and if I wasn't  out foreign you can be sure Id be there.

Offline Kenny

• Kopite
  • Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent
« Reply #2369 on: September 25, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »

We're also no longer a one man team as we used to be. Where would Dublin have been without Brogan this year?

This is a stupid point, Dublin have Brogan, where would Liverpool be without Gerrard, where any team be without its best players.......

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2370 on: September 25, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »
This is a stupid point, Dublin have Brogan, where would Liverpool be without Gerrard, where any team be without its best players.......

You made the point when you put an S after player.

Brogan carried that Dublin team to the semi finals, Coulter has been carrying the Down team by himself for years but not any more, there's now an excellent keeper (although time is running out for him) in McVeigh, Damien Rafferty playing brilliantly in the full back line, Kevin McKernan able to chip in with points from centre half back (and still only 22), and Hughes, Clarke and Coulter, as well as McComiskey and Poland able to get the points in, not to mention Ronan Murtagh being able to come off the bench (although he really should be starting) to provide scores too.

Dublin have Brogan and that's about it.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Kenny

• Kopite
  • Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent
« Reply #2371 on: September 26, 2010, 03:28:04 pm »
Apologies, I assumed English was your first language, the "s" after player refers to the pluralistic nature of the word "any" earlier in the sentence....if you think about it every team can only have one "best" player, you can argue who is the best player but you can't deny that only one can be the best regardless of what measurement criteria is used.........

If you doubt this look up a dictionary before responding!

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2372 on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:19 pm »
I'll spell it out in English then. Dublin would not have gotten anywhere near the semi finals without Bernard Brogan (as it was they barely limped into the quarter finals before Tyrone beat themselves).

Down without Benny Coulter would still have gotten quite far (maybe not the final but at least to the quarters) because there are other matchwinners on the team now, in comparison to previous years where if Coulter didn't perform the team didn't perform, so Down have every chance of getting almost as far (if not further) next year.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2373 on: September 26, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »
Now I hope Billy and a few more will get off Donncha's back. He showed himself what a leader he is and was instrumental in pulling Cork over the line, the thought of going back to Ballydesmond again empty handed was too much for him to bare.

I could have throttled Donnacha after the Munster final for booting that free in the air with less than a minute to go. But I'll tell you what lad, I'd bow on one knee for him after his performance in the final. Some of the scores he took were top drawer. And when it looked like a few heads were starting to drop, he was the first one to rally the troops. If it weren't for your cousin, I doubt we would be All Ireland champions now. Consider me well and truly off his back. 

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2374 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:00 pm »
FAO Corkoppite and Corkboy

Just incase ye haven't seen this

Cringeworthy as fuck like, but happy days  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuyf8irdv1M?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vuyf8irdv1M?fs=1</a>

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #2375 on: September 26, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »
Jesus Billy Ive heard it so much I had to stop listening to RedFM for a couple of days haha.Must of played it 20 times a day.Ya cringey out alright but fuck it was a laugh the first few times I heard it alright.

Agree with both of ye aswell,Donnacha deserves huge praise for his display in the final,nothing short of brilliant.Full credit to him for getting on with his game despite the mistakes he made in earlier rounds.

EDIT:forgot to boast I got to hold Sam last Thursday on Washington street.....Jamie O'Sullivan had it,got lucky as there was so many people trying to get a go off holding it because it was just after the 17:59 Arthurs day celebration thing so the place was packed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:06:32 am by CorKopite »
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2376 on: September 27, 2010, 11:03:36 am »
Jesus Billy Ive heard it so much I had to stop listening to RedFM for a couple of days haha.Must of played it 20 times a day.Ya cringey out alright but fuck it was a laugh the first few times I heard it alright.

Ha ha ha, theres no RedFM where I am, I only heard it for the first time yesterday when my cousin sent it to me in an e-mail

Your man took some hopper in the fountain @ 3min 40secs. I laughed my hole off at that ;D

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2377 on: September 29, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »
Just watchin highlights of the pre match stuff from the final again, that was a massive cop out playin "I'll tell me ma" for the President, what was wrong with the usual tune played for her?

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2378 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »
Just watchin highlights of the pre match stuff from the final again, that was a massive cop out playin "I'll tell me ma" for the President, what was wrong with the usual tune played for her?

And yet apart from you, not one fuck was given that day.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2379 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:40 pm »
And yet apart from you, not one fuck was given that day.

There were plenty. Even my mother, an Armagh fan, said it was a cop out.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2380 on: September 29, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »
There were plenty. Even my mother, an Armagh fan, said it was a cop out.

Why?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2381 on: September 29, 2010, 09:46:57 pm »
Why?

Because they used it as some pathetic attempt to make it seem as if she was neutral.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2382 on: September 29, 2010, 10:02:07 pm »
Because they used it as some pathetic attempt to make it seem as if she was neutral.

Not following you. She wasn't neutral?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2383 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »
Not following you. She wasn't neutral?

Well put it this way, she may have been born in Antrim but that's not where her allegiance lies.

She was about as neutral as Christy Cooney was.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2384 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:57 pm »
Well put it this way, she may have been born in Antrim but that's not where her allegiance lies.

She was about as neutral as Christy Cooney was.

So she was suspected to be shouting for Down? And you think by not playing her usual Presidential salute, this was some ham fisted attempt to make it seem like she was there on what, private business?

Please spell this one out for me, Jeff 'cos I'm genuinely not getting it.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2385 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:13 pm »
She IS a Down woman. The tune usually played for her is "The Star of the County Down" but they chose Belle of Belfast for her to try and make it seem as if she was neutral.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:17:44 pm by jeffiner1892 »

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2386 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »
She IS a Down woman. The tune usually played for her is "The Star of the County Down" but they tried to make it seem that she wasn't.

I see.

By which I mean, I have no fucking clue why that is a cop out but I'm used to not understanding some attitudes in our Norn cousins. It doesn't take much to upset ye.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2387 on: September 29, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »
It is. She's been to Ulster finals involving Down before and they've always played that, why change now just because it's in the south?

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2388 on: September 29, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
It is. She's been to Ulster finals involving Down before and they've always played that, why change now just because it's in the south?

What did you think of the anthem? Do they play that at Ulster games?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2389 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:10 pm »
What did you think of the anthem? Do they play that at Ulster games?

They play The Star of the County Down at ANY game where she meets the players. In ANY sport. Even when Martin Johnson forced her off the red carpet at Lansdowne they played it.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2390 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »
They play The Star of the County Down at ANY game where she meets the players. In ANY sport. Even when Martin Johnson forced her off the red carpet at Lansdowne they played it.

They play the Presidential Salute. I have never heard Star of the County Down played for her. Ever.

Ever.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2391 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
They play the Presidential Salute. I have never heard Star of the County Down played for her. Ever.

Ever.

They play the Presidential salute when she comes onto the pitch, when she's being introduced to players it's always The Star of the County Down.

Except when it was "The Belle of Belfast" a couple of weeks ago.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2392 on: September 29, 2010, 10:37:28 pm »
They play the Presidential salute when she comes onto the pitch, when she's being introduced to players it's always The Star of the County Down.

Except when it was "The Belle of Belfast" a couple of weeks ago.
It doesn't take much to upset ye.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2393 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:10 pm »
It was a cop out. What was wrong with continuing with using that?

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2394 on: September 29, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »
I think what I'm trying to get across to you, Jeff, without any obvious success, is that I completely and utterly don't give any measure of flying shit what ditty they croon out while the woman walks up and down a carpet and smiles. It is a matter of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: September 29, 2010, 11:23:09 pm »

Wow, Just Wow.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2396 on: September 29, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »
Corkboy be careful, engaging in a debate with jeffiner is hazardous. I once ended up in the corner of my bedroom swilling spirits and swallowing neuorfen after trying to explain the step rule to her. I was lucky enough to survive and turn my life around. Bear in mind that Sarge hasn't been seen alive since his last conversation with her. I'd hate to see another stallwart like yourself face a similar gruesome end. Its not worth it. Trust me :P

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: September 30, 2010, 03:37:59 am »

Nobody gives a tiny rats c*nt, flying fuck, or any other expression that implies anybody actually gives a shit.

So what if she wasn't neutral, or was, or was even watching the game? It still won't make any difference to the result.

They could have played "The Aids Song" from Team America and nobody but you would have batted an eyelid. It's completely irrelevant and pointless.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2398 on: October 1, 2010, 06:09:36 pm »
Wrong thread to post the 2011 league fixtures? Just doesn't seem right to start the 2011 thread though.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2399 on: October 1, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »
Wrong thread to post the 2011 league fixtures? Just doesn't seem right to start the 2011 thread though.

Myself, Mackeroo, corkboy, corkoppite, kerrykop, dermot, rednich, panchdeburca, niallo, and E2K just had a conference call

We were discussing how to make next years thread an improvement on this one

9 of them suggested banning you. But I stuck up for you jen, honest I did :P