Author Topic: Ground share rears its ugly head again  (Read 67071 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Re: Ground share rears its ugly head again
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2009, 10:22:04 pm »
One thing that annoys me about his, and always does, is that it always seem to rear it's head from Everton's side of the fence. Either through Everton fans in office somewhere or Evertonian's who bring it up when their ground plans go tits up.

I know a hell of a lot of Evertonian's who aren't against this at all. And it's all down to coming to us, cap in hand to help their finances and to give them a chance of progressing. Which, quite frankly, they can fuck off.

100% against this.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:18 pm »
Best laugh of the day:

Robert Elston

"It's certainly one of the options that we will need to cover. We are going to look forward and look forward positively. A shared stadium is perhaps an option if it's affordable," he said. "We have to look at where we can raise money, because potentially Liverpool will have to obviously contribute to that, and Liverpool City Council perhaps might need to find some money

fucking hell hes already saying we have to contribute to their shared stadium ...only funnier thing than that was  £120m in debt LCC contributing

Its a fucking pipe dream...and just to show how fucking thick the media and the General public are in  considering this  option as making sense... its as much sense as M&S and T J Hughes sharing a new build....

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »
I wrote this in the other thread, that's not as active as this one..
This is why I don't want to do a groundshare with them..

Rival fans on Merseyside going to the match together when I was a kid was extremely common, whether it was at Anfield or Goodison. In fact even when we played each other in various semi finals in various different grounds and finals at Wembley in the 80's, there would be red and blue dotted all around the ground. I'd often go to Goodison with my eldest brother and stand in the Gladys street with him, and he'd stand on the Kop with me. You'd look around in both fixtures and see a few supporters of each team standing together. If our respective teams scored, we'd celebrate without much bother. You'd never be able to do that now.

So much has happened since then and they have changed BIG time. To the extent that I can't be even near my own brother just before or just after a derby.

I don't want to side track this thread, but most people who have attended these matches, especially in the last 20 years or so will know what I mean.

Spot on Terry.
I went to the second cup final on the train from lime street with blues and reds and even coming home there was no bother whatsoever.
Times have changed and i agree it's them who have changed. Ever since Heysel.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline LFC Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »
One thing that annoys me about his, and always does, is that it always seem to rear it's head from Everton's side of the fence.

That's true, the story was just on ITV now, and the bluenose fans they interviewd were all for it.

In my opinion, Everton and their groundshare plan, can f*ck off!! 
"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game" - Bill Shankly

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »
They always seem to do this around Derby day. They can get to Fuck
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2009, 10:31:40 pm »
Spot on Terry.
I went to the second cup final on the train from lime street with blues and reds and even coming home there was no bother whatsoever.
Times have changed and i agree it's them who have changed. Ever since Heysel.

yeah instead of it being like 84 or 85..its like ...25 years later!!!....I agree with you mate...but the problem is most of the local media and politics and business is controlled by men over 40...and they are living in the past when it comes understanding LFC and EFC .....

and as for blue noses wanting to get into our ground ( ground sharing my arse) lets just call them what they are............................................Cuckoos!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:34:16 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:56 pm »
its been on the cards for awhile.  Everton having been pushing for it for years while chipping away at their own fans in their own way.  Cant get the money for the kings dock so option is move out to a venue far cheaper, somewhere outside the city or stay at the ancient decripd wooden pit.  The alternative, staying in the city and having a new swanky stadium = groundshare.

We've always maintained an official stance of no ta but then morgan broke ranks and said he wouldnt be against it, i dont think he was alone in that thought either.  And now with our yankie owners and our daily highlighted financial woes, external pressure from council's, government's and other external sources are similarly trying to chip away at our fans to make it happen. 

I strongly believed this wouldnt happen there was too much resistence on both sides for each club but i now wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.     

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2009, 10:42:19 pm »
Everton have only mentioned groundshare for one reason - to divert attention from the humiliation of their proposal being rejected. It was never going to be allowed, and they have created a great amoungt of chatter to  shield themselves against the questions that Evertonians and the media should have been asking in the  the Everton boards incompetence and stupidity in the whole affair, and they have succeeded. On radio phone ins and media (including on Merseyside), the discussion has not been about their failure, but about the never-going-to-happen subject of groundshare. A good diversionary tactic, even managing to muzzle the KEIOC activists, as Kenwright and his crew run off and hide their faces in shame.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
I wrote this in the other thread, that's not as active as this one..
This is why I don't want to do a groundshare with them..

Rival fans on Merseyside going to the match together when I was a kid was extremely common, whether it was at Anfield or Goodison. In fact even when we played each other in various semi finals in various different grounds and finals at Wembley in the 80's, there would be red and blue dotted all around the ground. I'd often go to Goodison with my eldest brother and stand in the Gladys street with him, and he'd stand on the Kop with me. You'd look around in both fixtures and see a few supporters of each team standing together. If our respective teams scored, we'd celebrate without much bother. You'd never be able to do that now.

So much has happened since then and they have changed BIG time. To the extent that I can't be even near my own brother just before or just after a derby.

I don't want to side track this thread, but most people who have attended these matches, especially in the last 20 years or so will know what I mean.

side question, does your brother think, you or we have changed like you think, you or they have?

I agree with you by the way, think its now no chance of being possibl.e

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2009, 10:53:16 pm »
If we go down the ground share route avenue we might as well wave the white flag now, it will confirm to everyone that we have become a 2nd rate club.

If it aint good enough for the Mancs and City, Spurs and Arsenal, Fulham and Chelsea, Aston Villa and Brirmingham City then it certainly aint fucking good enough for us.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:37 pm »
Man u, Barca and Real Madrid, 3 of the biggest clubs in the world don't ground share, so why the fuck should we?

Fuck off Everton.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:06 pm »
things are going from bad to worse.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline pjc1

• owner of a wanker stick
  • Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »
Prior to the parasites stealing our club, I'd have almost (and I mean almost) accepted a groundshare providing it was say 90-100k capacity - one fo the great stadiums in Europe.

However, I am dead against this now as it is a way out for Gillette and Hicks.

I am sick of hearing the media say 'we are in financial trouble' - IT IS NOT OUR FAULT!!!!

We were sold for 2 reasons:

1). to build a new stadium to enable us to compete with Utd etc

2). to compete in the transfer market with Utd etc.

3 YEARS ON AND WE HAVE NEITHER!!!!!

So f**k groundshare and f**k G&H!!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2009, 11:42:26 pm »
side question, does your brother think, you or we have changed like you think, you or they have?

I agree with you by the way, think its now no chance of being possibl.e
My brother is a proper bitter, who detests Liverpool FC and all it stands for. He hated seeing us win everything, like most of them do.

Like I said, we avoid each other before, during and just after derby matches.
Sad, but that's the way it's gone..

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2009, 12:13:40 am »
Groundshare, fuck off, end of story.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2009, 01:42:19 am »
Love the irony of their fans resenting us and calling us "murderers," yet wanting to share the same stadium. I worry that both teams sat on their hands too long in regard to new stadium. Since then, building costs have been driven up by the high demand for steel in places like China. This stadium, if it ever gets built, is going to end up costing far, far more than it ever should have.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2009, 09:08:06 am »
First of all, I've been going the match for years and I am born and bred in Liverpool.

Right now that's out of the way. I honestly don't see the issue here. I couldn't/don't give a fuck about Everton, but let's face it the two tits running the club aren't going anywhere soon and neither do they have the money to build us a stadium of our own.

What were the figures? £500m? Yeah right, also 60,000 seater? I'm sorry but that just isn't good enough if we are going to keep up with the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and now Man City in terms of cash. I'm not saying we will fill it week in week out, but the big games we could easily do with 70k+.

I know it ain't going to happen, I won't lose any sleep if it does or doesn't, I just want the best for my club and in the current situation we are in I personally think this isn't that much of a bad idea.

I'll get my coat....

Offline Olives

• Twerpville's Minister for Art and Spelling. Convicted of Gross Moral Twerpitude by the Peoples Court of RAWK. Only seen when we dont win.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Donations gladly accepted!
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:09 am »
If it aint good enough for the Mancs and City, Spurs and Arsenal, Fulham and Chelsea, Aston Villa and Brirmingham City then it certainly aint fucking good enough for us.

why judge yourself by the standards of other clubs?  we are set apart, we don't need to concern ourselves with what they are doing, we just need to focus on what is best for us.  if that is a ground share, then we should do it.  if that is building our own stadium, we should do it and not worry about what other clubs are doing.  We only need concern ourselves with exceeding them on the pitch.

but since you've raised the point... there is no comparison.  Liverpool and Everton are BOTH planning new stadia at the same time.  Utd were not moving out of OT when City left Maine Road.  Villa and Birmingham are not both planing on building new grounds.  Spurs weren't looking for a new stadium when Arsenal started planning the Emirates etc.  So there was no real reason for these clubs to consider a ground share.
On the 31st of May, I'll be running in the BUPA 10k in London in aid of MIND, the mental health charity.  http://www.justgiving.com/apkerr

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »
why judge yourself by the standards of other clubs?  we are set apart, we don't need to concern ourselves with what they are doing, we just need to focus on what is best for us.  if that is a ground share, then we should do it.  if that is building our own stadium, we should do it and not worry about what other clubs are doing.  We only need concern ourselves with exceeding them on the pitch.

but since you've raised the point... there is no comparison.  Liverpool and Everton are BOTH planning new stadia at the same time.  Utd were not moving out of OT when City left Maine Road.  Villa and Birmingham are not both planing on building new grounds.  Spurs weren't looking for a new stadium when Arsenal started planning the Emirates etc.  So there was no real reason for these clubs to consider a ground share.

Very valid points to be honest, but I still feel groundshare is just another sign of our gradual and seeming unstopable decline as a club. We seem to be either settling for or ending up with second best in just about everything now.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »

Birmingham and Villa were both redeveloping their stadia at roughly the same time.Man Utd were doing the same with OT when The City of Manchester stadium plans were being submitted.
The cost of those projects ran into absolute millions, but not once was the subject of sharing a ground ever put forward.
The reasons are economic and based on the needs of each club. Not to mention the unspoken understanding that supporters just wouldn't wear it.
City were getting a brand new ground that they pay rent on. Not paid for by themselves. Maybe if the Commonwealth Games hadn't been taking place they would have done what efc are doing now if they couldn't raise the cash to build their own.
Birmingham and Villa don't need bigger stadiums and if they did they could redevelop their existing grounds to accommodate that as and when.
If both grounds were landlocked or they were in a situation where they were competing at the highest levels in football and therefore needed to increase revenue substantially, it may have become an issue.

Apart from when Peter Robinson suggested the groundshare option years ago........which was kept very quiet at the time.Liverpool Football Club has never once put forward the option of a groundshare.
Liverpool supporters have never entertained the option of a ground share.It has never been discussed.

When efc were confident of moving onto the Kings Dock development, the option of a groundshare was never once considered by them.
When that fell down around their ears it suddenly reared it's ugly head.

When it looked like they would get this latest plan approved and our own stadium plans were halted, they couldn't care less about a groundshare.
When it was first muted that the Kirkby plan wasn't going to be approved it came to the fore again.
Now their latest adventure finally falls by the wayside......it's on the agenda once more,put there by efc, 20 minutes after the announcement to refuse their application was made.

If any of their options had come to fruition and even given our financial plight they wouldn't give a shite about a groundshare.
While all along we have maintained that it isn't an option for us whatever our own situation might be.

'Making financial sense' is a well worn cliche that gets trotted out time after time. There is far more to that short sound bite than meets the eye and the reasons behind it are not all they appear.
It makes 'financial sense' to efc because they won't be able to move without it and improving such a dilapidated stadium on it's current footprint is a financial none starter.
Our needs are greater in terms of capacity driven revenue as we are in a different league to efc. If we weren't we would simply stay at Anfield and improve it.It's as simple as that.

They, as a direct competitor with ourselves, want us to help them to become financially stronger, so they can compete with us!
I don't know of any other business where one competitor will assist another to become financially stronger in order to compete with them.While at the same time not only eroding their own historical identity and corporate pulling power. Not to mention potentially alienating a great proportion of their loyal customer base.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2009, 12:34:12 pm »
A mate who works on a sports desk told me Purslow told Everton at the World Cup bid that the shared stadium is a no-goer. Says it's in some of the papers. Haven't checked that but passing it on for what it's worth.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2009, 12:43:23 pm »
Could SOS approach some local architects about the feasibility of increasing the capacity at anfield?

There are a lot of boarded up houses in the area which may not affect the development of anfield like they might have done in the past.

We could put something together and put it forward to the club.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2009, 01:09:44 pm »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:12:26 pm by Paul »

Offline Olives

• Twerpville's Minister for Art and Spelling. Convicted of Gross Moral Twerpitude by the Peoples Court of RAWK. Only seen when we dont win.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »
Birmingham and Villa were both redeveloping their stadia at roughly the same time.Man Utd were doing the same with OT when The City of Manchester stadium plans were being submitted.
The cost of those projects ran into absolute millions, but not once was the subject of sharing a ground ever put forward.

redeveloping is not moving to new stadia, is it?

The reasons are economic and based on the needs of each club.

exactly.  so why can't we look at the economics and the needs of LFC?  if it turns out that a groundshare is a good option for us mid-long term then why not do it?  why deny ourselves the benefit of it, just because no other clubs have done it?

Birmingham and Villa don't need bigger stadiums and if they did they could redevelop their existing grounds to accommodate that as and when.
If both grounds were landlocked or they were in a situation where they were competing at the highest levels in football and therefore needed to increase revenue substantially, it may have become an issue.

exactly, that is why they didn't consider a ground-share.

Liverpool supporters have never entertained the option of a ground share.It has never been discussed.

I know, that is why I think it should be.  Discuss it, look at the option and if it doesn't work for us, fine, we walk away and build the best stadium we can on Stanley Park.

When efc were confident of moving onto the Kings Dock development, the option of a groundshare was never once considered by them.
When that fell down around their ears it suddenly reared it's ugly head.
When it looked like they would get this latest plan approved and our own stadium plans were halted, they couldn't care less about a groundshare.
When it was first muted that the Kirkby plan wasn't going to be approved it came to the fore again.
Now their latest adventure finally falls by the wayside......it's on the agenda once more,put there by efc, 20 minutes after the announcement to refuse their application was made.

If any of their options had come to fruition and even given our financial plight they wouldn't give a shite about a groundshare.

so what???  you don't want it because you feel like we are sloppy seconds?  grow up.

it wasn't a consideration for us when we thought our stadium would be built in time for 2011.  now that realities have changed, get used to it.

'Making financial sense' is a well worn cliche that gets trotted out time after time. There is far more to that short sound bite than meets the eye and the reasons behind it are not all they appear.
It makes 'financial sense' to efc because they won't be able to move without it and improving such a dilapidated stadium on it's current footprint is a financial none starter.
Our needs are greater in terms of capacity driven revenue as we are in a different league to efc. If we weren't we would simply stay at Anfield and improve it.It's as simple as that.

they have their reasons for a share, we have ours - the fact that we can't fund the stadium, the need to save money to spend on top-quality players... etc.
if a ground share is in the mutual self-interest of both teams, what is the problem with considering it?

why not look at whether we could build a 100,000 seater shared stadium?  that would improve our revenue significantly more than an increase to 60-70,000.

They, as a direct competitor with ourselves...

er... no, they are not.

our direct competitors are utd, chelsea, arsenal, real, barca, inter... etc.  we need to focus on catching and exceeding these teams.

I don't know of any other business where one competitor will assist another to become financially stronger in order to compete with them.

they won't do it deliberately, but they don't care to provide indirect benefits if it is in their own financial interest.  e.g. companies X and Y produce pretty much the same product.  advertising for company X will generate interest in their product, Company Y benefits from this advertising, because the market for their widget is expanded.  this is irrelevant to Company X, who are looking at their own balance sheet.  they don't care if Company Y gets a profits boost, they focus on the fact that the advertising helps their own bottom line, nothing else.  they don't sit there and say "we would make £1 million by doing this... but company X would make £500,000 too... so we won't" - they say "we will make £1 million, let's do it"
On the 31st of May, I'll be running in the BUPA 10k in London in aid of MIND, the mental health charity.  http://www.justgiving.com/apkerr

Offline Olives

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »
Very valid points to be honest, but I still feel groundshare is just another sign of our gradual and seeming unstopable decline as a club. We seem to be either settling for or ending up with second best in just about everything now.

ground share could stop that decline.  if we save money on the stadium, we could use that to fund new players.  if we saved even just £50 million out of a £400 million budget, that money could be spent on the likes of Kaka, Silva or Villa etc.  I suspect that would help to halt the decline...

I am not pro-ground share and I hate to seem like I really want this, I just want the option to be explored.  my preferred solution is to remain at a redeveloped Anfield.  but if we are set on moving, a ground share potentially be a great thing for the club and should be considered.  if it was not good for the club, we don't have to do it, but we lose nothing by considering it

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
Its a non-debate. Ground share will never happen. This whole debate is a media concocted load of shite sparked off by Everton raising it in a panic to save their face and divert attention from the humiliation of Kirkby being rejected.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:17 pm »
You may have had plenty of interesting and enlightening points in your post.
Unfortunately I stopped reading when I got to this part.

so what???  you don't want it because you feel like we are sloppy seconds?  grow up.

it wasn't a consideration for us when we thought our stadium would be built in time for 2011.  now that realities have changed, get used to it.

I'm in a fairly good mood today so instead of ripping into you I'll just leave it there.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:26:34 pm by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »
There is an interesting sub-text to all this, and that is what sort of Liverpool we all want to support.

The train carrying those able to compete at the highest level in the future consistently may have already left the station.

There is an argument which says that whatever the financial benefits of Groundshare ( jury out), having been tricked into  prostituting ourselves to G&H, there really is no stomach for getting shafted again by the downsides of Groundshare.

Just maybe we should be saying that Anfield is our spiritual home, and we will do our best from a ground that is redevloped as best we are able. And yes Rafa will be here for another 4 1/2 years, and if we dont win the League again, or the European Cup, at least we WILL have retained what is left of our dignity. Exactly how many "ordinary" scousers do we think are spending £600 on a mid week trip to Debrecen/ Lyons anyway?
Just perhaps some good league and FA Cup runs will do just fine.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2009, 06:51:10 pm »
There is an interesting sub-text to all this, and that is what sort of Liverpool we all want to support.

The Liverpool that doesn't have to associate itself with Everton..

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2009, 10:14:47 pm »
who is for it?  I see lots of people who are automatically against and some who are willing to consider it, no-one has said they wanted it.  saying we should think about whether it is in the best interests of the club is not the same as being pro-ground share.

Black or white this.  If you're not against it then you're for it surely?  There's no 'in between'.  Making a difference between 'willing to discuss it' and 'for it' is splitting hairs.

Fuck groundshare.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2009, 10:24:05 pm »
ground share could stop that decline.  if we save money on the stadium, we could use that to fund new players.  if we saved even just £50 million out of a £400 million budget, that money could be spent on the likes of Kaka, Silva or Villa etc.  I suspect that would help to halt the decline...

I hope for your sake this is toungue in cheek.  Do you honestly believe that 'groundshare' will result in our esteemed owners signing Kaka, Silva and Villa with the money saved?

Have you been asleep the last 3 yrs since they took over?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2009, 11:05:32 pm »
The Liverpool that doesn't have to associate itself with Everton..

As someone who prefers to redevelop Anfield, I would just say that the above sound bite plays right into the hands of the Groundshare argument. Smart people ask questions.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2009, 01:47:50 am »
As someone who prefers to redevelop Anfield, I would just say that the above sound bite plays right into the hands of the Groundshare argument. Smart people ask questions.
xerxes1 , I'd love us to stay at Anfield and redevelop that plot, but whether it's political reasons or whatever, there doesn't see to be an option on that score.
My biggest gripe is when I was a kid, going to watch Liverpool was looking at the pitch before the players even warmed up, or before the kick off and getting a massive buzz from the history of the place.
If we ever move to the allocated place in Stanley Park, I'm sure that I will have readjust to that as well. But a sharing scenario with them to me, doesn't even come into the scheme of things. Be it commercial or otherwise...

I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way..

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2009, 06:26:28 am »
Read the thread, and I am not going to pretend to understand the local feelings on the issue. I'm sure most will ignore me, and that's fine. Just want to pop in with my two cents from across the pond on another "football" team I root for and their groundshare situation. The New York Giants and Jets have shared Giants Stadium since 1984. I guess it's always been less objectionable for me, as a Giants fan, since the stadium has had our name all these years, and the seats have been red and blue and not green and white. That said we're building a new stadium with the Jets that's set to open next year and it will not be called Giants Stadium, and the issues I have with it as a fan have a lot more to do with the owners pricing out long term ticket holders by making them buy personal seat licenses than losing the name Giants Stadium. So it's not just something that happens in Italy. The new stadium the Giants and Jets are building is going to vault us from the middle of the league in revenue to right near the top, and if it makes the difference between us landing a top notch free agent or not, or signing the hottest head coach on the market, I think it would be worth it.

Now there is nowhere near the hostility between Giants and Jets fans as there is between reds and blues in Liverpool. We are in separate conferences in the NFL so we don't directly compete and only play each other once every four years in the regular season as opposed to twice a season. Certainly no Jets fans chant about us being murderers. I realize this comparison falls down on that point, as our rivalry is fairly tame with the Jets and both teams have divisional opponents they hate much more than the team they share an address with.

I don't know that groundshare is the answer, and I think people have raised reasonable points about stadium naming rights and all that being shared taking away from its benefits. And as the tenant who has more appeal to sponsors and who will draw better, LFC do have less to gain than Everton from such a set up. I just don't know that dismissing it out of hand as an option is a good idea. If the financials end up looking promising so that the club can compete with United, Manchester City, Cheslea et al. best through a groundshare set up, it's something that at least deserves a bit of discussion.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:30 am »
xerxes1 , I'd love us to stay at Anfield and redevelop that plot, but whether it's political reasons or whatever, there doesn't see to be an option on that score.
My biggest gripe is when I was a kid, going to watch Liverpool was looking at the pitch before the players even warmed up, or before the kick off and getting a massive buzz from the history of the place.
If we ever move to the allocated place in Stanley Park, I'm sure that I will have readjust to that as well. But a sharing scenario with them to me, doesn't even come into the scheme of things. Be it commercial or otherwise...
I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way..

I feel the same. I just think that the "Blue shite/ wont share with the scum" brigade do us a disservice because there are more than enough rational arguments against groundshare. My argument is that we should be confident enough to say to the groundshare brigade" come on then, give us your best shot".

My reservations about Stanley Park are that with only 60,000 seats, and an extra 5000 corporates, that only offers an extra 10,000 seats for ordinary fans, and a redeveloped Anfield, I understand, could go up to 55,000. So all the upheaval, and cost, is for an extra 5000 seats.

My question about "what sort of club we want LFC to be" was a serious one. I have an old friend who is a Leeds fan, he confessed that they have had more fun in League One than he has ever had in 30 years supporting the club.Now I am not recommending relegation, but he was pointing out that Leeds' support has rediscovered its' soul. But it is ok to say, factually we cannot ompete on equal terms with Barca/ Madrid/ Man U/ Arsenal for stadia, so we are going to keep what is special to us - Anfield.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:03 am »
And just to make our position absolutely clear so no one can suggest there is any equivocation from the Union

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/No-to-a-Ground-Share.html
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:36:42 am by Graham Smith »
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2009, 04:39:18 pm »
ground share could stop that decline.  if we save money on the stadium, we could use that to fund new players.  if we saved even just £50 million out of a £400 million budget, that money could be spent on the likes of Kaka, Silva or Villa etc. I suspect that would help to halt the decline...

I am not pro-ground share and I hate to seem like I really want this, I just want the option to be explored.  my preferred solution is to remain at a redeveloped Anfield.  but if we are set on moving, a ground share potentially be a great thing for the club and should be considered.  if it was not good for the club, we don't have to do it, but we lose nothing by considering it

Point 1 - If you seriously think this money saved would be spent on players and not paid against the debt then you must be deluded.

Points 2 - That's a bit like considering selling Reina, Gerard and Torres. Good financial sense for the club but just fuck off.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2009, 10:21:37 am »
Article in Sunday Mirror ( shite I know ) saying sources within club say to will never happen...and Ive heard tales that LFC have told EFC stop dicking around with such comments

Have to say though all this shows how fucking shite and manipulative the media can be with us....no shock there!!

Offline Olives

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2009, 11:16:23 am »
I hope for your sake this is toungue in cheek.  Do you honestly believe that 'groundshare' will result in our esteemed owners signing Kaka, Silva and Villa with the money saved?
Point 1 - If you seriously think this money saved would be spent on players and not paid against the debt then you must be deluded.

The owners want this club to compete at the highest level because it will generate more money.  if they had the money, we'd have bought better players.  it is not because they don't want to spend money, it is because they have none.  they know that you have to speculate to accumulate, when they have the money, they will spend it.  don't forget that hicks signed a-rod for $252 million (over ten years) for the Texas Rangers and Kevin Millwood for $60 million (over five years).  I am not saying we'd necessarily get Kaka, but we would certainly have more money for players.

Points 2 - That's a bit like considering selling Reina, Gerard and Torres. Good financial sense for the club but just fuck off.

it is nothing like it.  selling our main assets is not good for the long-term financial or sporting interests of the club.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2009, 11:40:44 am »
In all honesty im wondering why Everton want to share a stadium anyway, with the clowns running our club Everton are probably more likly to get a stadium built on their own then with us.
Thinking is overrated.