Author Topic: Ground share rears its ugly head again  (Read 67075 times)

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ground share rears its ugly head again
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2009, 03:26:31 pm »
where would we play for the year or two it takes to build the new stadium?

Actually earlier I thought that if Everton are moving to their Kirkby stadium, we could have loaned Goodison Park for a year. It is still possible, provided Everton resubmit their plan and it gets accepted.

Of course playing at Goodison Park is a terrible idea, but if it means staying at Anfield then its worth it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:28:08 pm by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Smiling Politely

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2009, 03:33:24 pm »
Wonderful interview with I think Ian Ross from efc.
He said " Our capacity is 40,000 and we average 37,000. The other 3,000 are either seats that are not taken up by season tickets or are restricted views. So in effect we are sold out every week"

I see how it works now!

Can we all take a moment to have a wee LOL at this?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2009, 03:37:27 pm »
Ground share is in effect anti competitive for us. In one swoop we potentially give Everton the chance to enjoy the same match day revenue that we have.

Only twice a year...........and only if we have 90% of the tickets.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »
yeah, it does and Anfield is a huge huge part of that.  But a brand new stadium is not Anfield, is it?  When Anfield goes, that will be lost.  You can not build or construct personality or identity, these have been formed over many many years with vast traditions and lots of memories.  we bring what we can with us and in time, the new stadium will develop its own character, but would a European night be any different in a stadium that Everton would play in on the saturday?  we would place our own memories on it, it would still be our stadium, with our personality and identity.

I understand the point of wanting our own stadium, in an ideal world, we could build it now, 120,000 seats in stanley park.  but that is not viable or possible at the moment.  we must be realistic.  if the financial saving of a ground share would be significant (say £50 million initial and £5million per year), it would be at least worthy of consideration.  of course, if it'd only save us £10 million, plus £1million a year, it is not worth it.  I am only suggesting that it should be looked at is, and only if, Anfield can't be redeveloped and we are set on leaving anyway.

you got your opinions mate and respect that. for me, if there is going to be ground sharing, we might as well consider having just one team representing Liverpool, calling ourselves, Liverton or Everpool. That way would make even more sense, we will have the best players in the area playing under one team. Our club attendance would be incredible. we can easily pack a 100,000 sieater. we can generate a whole load of monies to build a team so strong, that maybe only a team from mars can defeat.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2009, 03:43:37 pm »
The whole ground share thing should have been put to bed a long time ago. The problem I see is, the leader of Liverpool City Council is a fella by the name of Warren Bradley - and he is a staunch blue nose and fully for the ground share scheme. My gripe is, when they were dreaming of a life of The Tesco Stadium in Kirkby, we didnt get a mention - yet as soon as it goes tits up they "would consider a ground share"....well sorry but fcuk off, we dont want to know!

Would it work on Tyneside with Newcastle and Sunderland - NO, would it work in Glasgow with Celtic and Rangers - NO,  so why would it work on Merseyside!
If they want to share, go and have a word with Tranmere or Burscough Town!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:50 pm »
While respecting your opinion and recognising that there will be some support for it I really see a groundshare as the end for LFC. The Club isn't money or trophies even (although I don't doubt if our philosophy and history were cherished we'd be successful) - it's an identity, genetic almost (it'll be the same for the Blue lot too).

This is not an OOT/OOC debate but to those who live in the area the Club represents us. It's a way of demonstrating our personality, uniqueness, our identity. I honestly think the further from the area you get the less the ground issue has resonance. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't make us better than those OOT or OOC, just more blessed and in the groundshare debate more cursed as we see what we have had all these years threatened.

The moving to New Anfield debate is just as emotive.

I'm an OOT, although my parents are scousers born and bred (so I've been brought up proper as it were, lol) and that is exactly the way I feel about it. I've got blues in my family, my grandad was a toffee and one of the nicest men you'd ever hope to meet but even he'd understand me saying there is no way I'd ever ever accept a groundshare. I don't care about financials and whether it would make economic sense, there are just some things that you don't ever sell out otherwise you lose your whole identity,heritage, history and become just another club. I've said before, moving from Anfield is hard enough but there's a difference between moving to our own purpose built stadium for progression and bringing our history with us than moving to a shared stadium for economic sense and diluting any progress, discarding tradition. 

You can ask for all the information you'd like regarding a shared stadium before making your minds up but all you're really saying is you're ready to move into it, otherwise you wouldn't need the info. I'm not at all ready and never will be so my response to groundshare is to say fuck off!

Besides Daranoza and Graham have said it all a lot more eloquent than me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:54:01 pm by RedJam70 »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2009, 04:19:03 pm »
Just heard another incisive comment regarding this.
Jason Cundy and the increasingly ridiculous Darren Gough on Talkshite are debating the possibility of a groundshare.
Cundy...the font of all knowledge explains the historical significance of clubs wanting to stay at their spiritual homes.
He tells us...." Liverpool used to play at Goodison...."

So I'd advise you all to listen to this man and get an education.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:20:39 pm by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Milan and Inter are not happy about the financial aspects of ground sharing.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/italian_football_is_in_a_downward_spiral_writes_paddy_agnew_features_280205.html

If, in 2003, English fans had to stand idly by as two Serie A sides fought out the Final on English soil, there is every possibility that Italian fans will be doing something similar this year should two Premier League clubs meet in the Final at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome.

The Money League
So what has gone wrong? Adriano Galliani, right-hand man of Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi at Milan, has a ready-made answer.

“Today's league tables coincide with club turnover,” claims Galliani. “We're playing in a new championship now; it's called the Money League. How come Portuguese teams, Dutch teams or even a side like Red Star Belgrade win nothing these days?”

Galliani is the first to admit that Italian football has been slow to move and react to changing times. And he has been saying it for at least five years now.

“The main reason for our crisis is basic economics,” he explains. “Our biggest problem is that clubs like us share a stadium and don't have one of their own.”

As an example of what he is talking about – by way of lost revenue through Milan sharing the San Siro with Inter – Galliani points out that as soon as major sponsors discover that the stadium “changes colour” (switches club) every week, they pull out of major sponsorship deals. It would simply cost too much to have to mount and then dismantle semi-permanent advertising hoardings linked to the two different clubs
on a weekly basis.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooo
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Mahern

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2009, 04:58:44 pm »
Never never never. And forgive me Sky/Talk Sports, and all you world cup 2018 loving c*nts, but it is fuck all business of yours.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2009, 05:07:32 pm »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Milan and Inter are not happy about the financial aspects of ground sharing.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/italian_football_is_in_a_downward_spiral_writes_paddy_agnew_features_280205.html

If, in 2003, English fans had to stand idly by as two Serie A sides fought out the Final on English soil, there is every possibility that Italian fans will be doing something similar this year should two Premier League clubs meet in the Final at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome.

The Money League
So what has gone wrong? Adriano Galliani, right-hand man of Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi at Milan, has a ready-made answer.

“Today's league tables coincide with club turnover,” claims Galliani. “We're playing in a new championship now; it's called the Money League. How come Portuguese teams, Dutch teams or even a side like Red Star Belgrade win nothing these days?”

Galliani is the first to admit that Italian football has been slow to move and react to changing times. And he has been saying it for at least five years now.

“The main reason for our crisis is basic economics,” he explains. “Our biggest problem is that clubs like us share a stadium and don't have one of their own.”

As an example of what he is talking about – by way of lost revenue through Milan sharing the San Siro with Inter – Galliani points out that as soon as major sponsors discover that the stadium “changes colour” (switches club) every week, they pull out of major sponsorship deals. It would simply cost too much to have to mount and then dismantle semi-permanent advertising hoardings linked to the two different clubs
on a weekly basis.

Thanks for that. We can all relax. The history and identity means nothing to our owners, but those figures will speak to them.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »
I'm an OOT, although my parents are scousers born and bred (so I've been brought up proper as it were, lol) and that is exactly the way I feel about it. I've got blues in my family, my grandad was a toffee and one of the nicest men you'd ever hope to meet but even he'd understand me saying there is no way I'd ever ever accept a groundshare. I don't care about financials and whether it would make economic sense, there are just some things that you don't ever sell out otherwise you lose your whole identity,heritage, history and become just another club. I've said before, moving from Anfield is hard enough but there's a difference between moving to our own purpose built stadium for progression and bringing our history with us than moving to a shared stadium for economic sense and diluting any progress, discarding tradition. 

You can ask for all the information you'd like regarding a shared stadium before making your minds up but all you're really saying is you're ready to move into it, otherwise you wouldn't need the info. I'm not at all ready and never will be so my response to groundshare is to say fuck off!

Besides Daranoza and Graham have said it all a lot more eloquent than me.

:wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2009, 05:15:37 pm »
Everton FC look to convince Liverpool FC on groundshare

Everton FC face a much bigger battle than Sunday's 212th Merseyside derby, if they are to convince rivals Liverpool FC to ground-share.

Everton FC's plans for a new £400million 50,000-seater stadium and shopping complex in Kirkby, in association with Tesco, are in tatters after being rejected by Communities and Local Government Secretary John Denham on Thursday.

Chief executive Robert Elstone admits Everton FC will now consider all possibilities, including teaming-up with their neighbours across Stanley Park.

On the face of it a ground-share would seem the obvious option with Liverpool FC having put their more advanced plans for a replacement to Anfield on hold due to the current global recession.

However, the Reds’ American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are opposed to the suggestion as it would severely impact the anticipated revenue streams which come from sole ownership of a 61,000-capacity stadium.

Rivals fans would also not welcome a ground share but Elstone admits, with a club debt of upwards of £36million, they have to explore every alternative.

"It’s certainly one of the options that we will need to cover," he said.

"We are going to look forward and look forward positively. A shared stadium is perhaps an option if it’s affordable.

"We have to look at where we can raise money, because potentially Liverpool will have to obviously contribute to that, and Liverpool City Council perhaps might need to find some money.

"If we are the first major English club to look at sharing then we’re not scared of making those decisions.

"So we’re going to have to start to have those conversations, we’re going to have to be open-minded about solutions."

However, Liverpool FC’s deputy executive director Peter Shaw played down the possibility of the city’s two clubs sharing a stadium.

"It’s not on our agenda at the moment.
Liverpool are progressing forward with our own stadium. That is the position we are still in," he said.

"The LFC stadium is quite far progressed and once the financial markets reopen for business the LFC stadium will progress further."

When asked whether the idea of a groundshare with Everton FC could be a possibility, he said: "That’s not for me to answer."

Finance is at the heart of Everton FC’s problems - as it has been for Liverpool, whose new Stanley Park stadium was scheduled to be open in 2011 but now has no completion date.

Part of the attraction of the Kirkby plan was the tie-in with Tesco, and Elstone admits they need to search out new ways of bringing in the funding.

"The solution is not about finding land - this is a solution that is about finding money; it’s about affordability," he said.

"That was the big attraction to Kirkby, that it was affordable.

"Then it’s about reviewing alternatives and sitting down with partners, all the stakeholders in this region and anybody who can help Everton deliver what it needs - which is a world-class stadium that’s going to secure our future for years to come.

"Anything that we have to do going forward has to be clearly affordable and clearly make commercial sense. So that’s the big challenge."

The knock-on effect of not having a bigger ground generating more income than Goodison Park will be felt in the club’s longer-term planning.

Everton FC hoped the Kirkby project would provide the boost to revenue to help manager David Moyes with necessary funds to invest in the squad and push for a lucrative place in the Champions League.

Elstone accepts those plans will need to be re-thought.

"The motivations were about driving Everton forward and ultimately giving David Moyes a fairer crack of the whip in the transfer market," he said.

"That challenge hasn’t gone away and it’s a challenge now that we’re going to have to pick up and run with and perhaps find another solution."

Liverpool City Council leader Warren Bradley refused to discuss the possibility of the two clubs sharing a stadium.

Speaking at Wembley, where Liverpool was submitting its bid to be part of England’s 2018 World Cup bid, Bradley said: "I’m not going to even go there on that. I don’t think it’s the time and place to talk about ground-sharing.

"We haven’t had any discussions, real hard discussions, around the future of Everton and Liverpool football clubs, and I think it’s up to the clubs first and foremost to lead those discussions."

However Bradley and Elstone have had a short conversation since the stadium plan was rejected.

Bradley said: "We haven’t resolved everything, in fact we’ve resolved very little at the moment, but it’s about agreeing to come forward and talk about Everton Football Club in the future."

He explained: "As a lifelong Evertonian it’s been very, very difficult through this period but we are where we are and we’ve got to work with them now."

The Kirkby plans could still be revised and resubmitted.

Detailing what must happen next, Bradley stressed: "We need to make sure there’s a lot of trust there.

"There’s got to be trust built between Liverpool City Council, between all the other partners, and Everton Football Club to move forward. Once we’ve established that trust I do believe we can move this forward quite quickly."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/football-news/2009/11/26/everton-fc-look-to-convince-liverpool-fc-on-groundshare-55578-25262081/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:17:31 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:05 pm »
Just took a look on Bluekipper they have a poll right now 60% are in favor of a ground share.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »
Ground sharing may make sense (**shudders**) for a set of clubs in us and Everton who are not exactly flush with money. The initial investment would obviously be lower and the risk would be divided and it is a concept that benefits those who have a long-term interest.

However, everything around tells us that its the Americans idea to maximise on the revenue streams that a new stadium will build, make profit and then sell the club on, while holding a bit of the shares so that they get continuous revenue from what the English Premiership will generate, which they know will be loads.

Everything about that plan depends on getting their OWN stadium. They would get more commercial deals because of this, with no sharing. They maximise on the support base. Its more attractive to potential investors and buyers if they know the club owns their brand new stadium.

Offline Classic goal

• Kopite
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
They can fuck off about 'not being scared' to the make the decision on groundshare. Their priority was their own stadium in kirkby and now they can't have it they are shitting themselves.

Groundshare can't be an option. It'll create a mountain of problems down the line. Both sides have different needs and desires for their respective new grounds and a one sized fits all approach can't do.

When it comes to the design of the ground will everton be happy with our demand of a massive single tier stand behind one of the goals called the kop? Both clubs have completely different needs when it comes to corporate hospitality so will everton be prepared to pay their half for facilities they might not even need or use? Will their fans be happy to walk through the shankly gates on their way to their seat which will probably not be coloured in blue?

What about the state of the pitch with so many games being played on it? how will stadium tours work? who gets the cut on hospitality facilities when they are used for none footballing events?

It is not the 'common sense' approach. It's a fucking stupid idea.

Offline AMP

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2009, 05:36:31 pm »
How can we share a ground when most of money to pay for it will come from sponsorship, tickets sales,merchandising  etc from Liverpool. Everton will be lucky to  cover 25% of the cost of building and  running of the stadium at 60,000. We will be  giving them  a leg up at our own expense in the end.

Offline Classic goal

• Kopite
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »
How can we share a ground when most of money to pay for it will come from sponsorship, tickets sales,merchandising  etc from Liverpool. Everton will be lucky to  cover 25% of the cost of building and  running of the stadium at 60,000. We will be  giving them  a leg up at our own expense in the end.

and ultimately we are looking for a ground much bigger than 60k, hence why both the designs from the yank architects allow for expansion. If we moved into say a 60k capacity and it transpired that we (or hey, maybe everton) needed to expand to still supply demand, then who would pay for that expansion?

Was chatting to a guy at work who was thinking of the benefits. One of his points was that we could build 'a wembley of the north, or something maybe as large as old trafford' but Everton have no need for a stadium of such a scale so will they be prepared to pay their share for it? I doubt it. They wanted a 50k, they have no business in the capacities we are talking about for our proposed new ground. Both clubs require different things, and IF the groundshare became a reality it would be a messy compromise and plenty of squabbles about who foots the bill.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2009, 06:11:51 pm »
Bunch of wools

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »
Just said on LFC Now that the ground share issue will be discussed on Press Box later tonight at 8.00pm.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
Fuck off Everton. In case there's any misunderstanding, I mean FUCK OFF
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2009, 06:23:43 pm »
Such a fucking joke anyway. Every second week the stadium will hold 65,000 and be full. The other week it will have 30,000 and a few echoes
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »
One huge advantage of a groundshare mustn't be overlooked.

We could have a huge trophy room full of silverware and they could have a little Ikea cupboard down the corridor :)
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline sonofkenny

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
I would fully expect the Club to engage in some sort of talks over this for several reasons:

this is all political and Everton / the council would love nothing more than us dismissing this out of hand; "big bad red doesn t want to play, we tried and they are ruining everything for everyone"

engaging not only keeps the council onside, which we absolutely need if we are to progress but allows us to flush everton out and prove what a ridiculous idea a share is. 

if we do engage it has nothing to do with the owners, it is simple local politics that needs to be done.

LFC dont want a share and deep down everyone including the blues and council knows it wouldnt work, so there will be no share

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2009, 06:52:38 pm »
its on itv news in a minute

haha bit stoned, at ten sorry
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »
Maybe a radical overhaul of Anfield is now feasable? With naming rights it may even be affordable. 'The new anfield' or something like that.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2009, 07:02:12 pm »
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2009, 07:27:27 pm »

The Money League

on a weekly basis.

Very interesting.

Offline ronnnie yates

• Anny Roader
  • today we settle all family business.
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2009, 08:01:45 pm »
for fucks sake ,can anything get any worse ?? ,what a shite week this has been , :no,

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »
Maybe a radical overhaul of Anfield is now feasable? With naming rights it may even be affordable. 'The new anfield' or something like that.

So we just need a company called 'New' now then
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline JoburgRed

• Anny Roader
  • Red forever
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »
your post demonstrates incredible economic illiteracy.

yes, you rightly say that initial capital costs would be shared... but it all goes downhill from there... you seem to think all our revenue would be shared with Everton, but none of the costs?!

Revenues would not be shared, Everton would get the revenue from their matchday tickets etc, we'd get the revenue from our home games.  If the ground was used for concerts/conferences or whatever, I accept that those revenues would be shared.

Operational costs would not be higher, they would be lower as a proportion of income.  i.e. whilst the actual costs may increase, (due to increases in the size of the stadium - we'd need to employ more staff, stewards, more electricity would be used etc) but as a proportion of revenue, they would fall (because we'd be making much more money).  We'd pay our operational costs, Everton would pay their operational costs, there would be no difference to the current situation.

The ongoing fixed costs of a shared new stadium would be pretty much the same as if we had our own new stadium, but we would pay much less, as these costs would be shared.

Variable costs that are incurred on matchdays (such as wages for stewards, bar staff etc) would not increase due to a groundshare, they'd be the same as in our own new stadium.  Liverpool wouldn't have to pay extra costs because Everton have a match day.

Plus, with increasing economies of scale, we could save on the cost of drinks / food etc as we could buy in even greater bulk, as one stadium.

Yep said that a bit flippantly, but as opposed to match day revenues I was talking more about the associated revenues tha come with a ground - i.e. the ability to have naming rights, the ability to have club branding, entertaining guests....all of these become harder, in my opinion, with a ground share.

It's Gerrrraaaaaaarddddddddd......You beautyyyyy!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:00 pm »
Be a lot of messing about and disagreements in we both get drawn at home in cup matches!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2009, 09:38:56 pm »
Ironically the only thing which may prevent the railroading of the groundshare is the greed of our owners.  They won't want to share profits/revenue with another party.  Yes our own ground is a pipe dream but I think these two are so deluded they'll still believe they'll get someone to help fund a ground for Liverpool alone.

However Everton and the council will now target them like flies around shite.  And we can only hope they remain closed to the idea - however I worry that eventually reality may hit home and they'll seriously start looking at it.

It all gets fucking worse with every passing day.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:59 pm »
Reading the whole 4 pages it's unbelievable some are actually for this, albeit a tiny minority.  Unbelievable.  Just hope it's PR people from the blues or Yanks and not match going reds.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »
Reading the whole 4 pages it's unbelievable some are actually for this, albeit a tiny minority.  Unbelievable.  Just hope it's PR people from the blues or Yanks and not match going reds.

Exactly - no going match going reds would ever be in favour of this.

Hopefully £$ are not the only language being spoken in this debate. Have they even thought about the "brand" of the place? Colour seats? How would they get around that? Granted, it would be seen as inconsequential to the MONEY men but I can guarantee you now I'd never step foot in a place we shared with them.

It would probably be the final nail in the coffin for me as (English) football goes.
JFT97

Offline Olives

• Twerpville's Minister for Art and Spelling. Convicted of Gross Moral Twerpitude by the Peoples Court of RAWK. Only seen when we dont win.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Donations gladly accepted!
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »
Yep said that a bit flippantly, but as opposed to match day revenues I was talking more about the associated revenues tha come with a ground - i.e. the ability to have naming rights, the ability to have club branding, entertaining guests....all of these become harder, in my opinion, with a ground share.

good point, naming rights could be a stumbling block You've raised an important issue here, one that we would need to look at carefully.  I am not pro-ground share, just pro-debate.

it is certainly possible that the naming rights for a shared ground would bring in less revenue, but then again, the stadium would be used twice as often and it would be an iconic stadium, so we would not lose out too much, and I suspect that we'd probably get more than 50% of the rights anyway. 

I don't see how it would be a problem to entertain guests in a shared stadium.  club branding could be an issue, but more an emotional than financial one really.
On the 31st of May, I'll be running in the BUPA 10k in London in aid of MIND, the mental health charity.  http://www.justgiving.com/apkerr

Offline Olives

• Twerpville's Minister for Art and Spelling. Convicted of Gross Moral Twerpitude by the Peoples Court of RAWK. Only seen when we dont win.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2009, 10:09:48 pm »

who is for it?  I see lots of people who are automatically against and some who are willing to consider it, no-one has said they wanted it.  saying we should think about whether it is in the best interests of the club is not the same as being pro-ground share.
On the 31st of May, I'll be running in the BUPA 10k in London in aid of MIND, the mental health charity.  http://www.justgiving.com/apkerr

Offline Olives

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »
Be a lot of messing about and disagreements in we both get drawn at home in cup matches!

this is a minor problem really, I wonder how they work it in Italy/Germany? 

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2009, 10:16:04 pm »
Surprised that only 64 have voted in the groundshare poll, how hard can it be to click a button?
Even more surprised 4 of em actually want it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2009, 10:16:29 pm »
I wrote this in the other thread, that's not as active as this one..
This is why I don't want to do a groundshare with them..

Rival fans on Merseyside going to the match together when I was a kid was extremely common, whether it was at Anfield or Goodison. In fact even when we played each other in various semi finals in various different grounds and finals at Wembley in the 80's, there would be red and blue dotted all around the ground. I'd often go to Goodison with my eldest brother and stand in the Gladys street with him, and he'd stand on the Kop with me. You'd look around in both fixtures and see a few supporters of each team standing together. If our respective teams scored, we'd celebrate without much bother. You'd never be able to do that now.

So much has happened since then and they have changed BIG time. To the extent that I can't be even near my own brother just before or just after a derby.

I don't want to side track this thread, but most people who have attended these matches, especially in the last 20 years or so will know what I mean.