Author Topic: Fiorentina Away  (Read 44962 times)

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
Fiorentina Away
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:42:57 am »
Seeing that this is gonna be our first away and there's no thread about it yet I thought I'd start it off.

We'll be playing in their Stadio Artemio Franchi which holds 47.000 so I expect us to get an allocation of about 2.5k

Never been to Florence myself but have been thinking about going for quite a time, so if any locals could help us out with boozers and the like, don't hesitate to post in here.

I'm doing a Google Map about it and will try to keep it updated, you can find it here: http://maps.google.ch/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104246897151329935002.0004723120d4ae00f2f9d&ll=43.789809,11.252403&spn=0.051427,0.154324&t=h&z=13

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fiorentina Away
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
*ahem* From the stickied topic

With the Champions League qualifiers upon us can we ask posters to respect a common sense suggestion.

Everyone wants the cheapest flights. In excitement some post the details all over the web. This allows lazy bastards who haven't put in the groundwork to nip in and book these flights.

Also some airlines base their prices on the numbers currently viewing the details of a specific flight on their website so a huge traffic hit caused by a posting on here or any other forum in the immediate aftermath of the draw pushes up the price quickly screwing those trying to book.

If you've found cheap flights book them for yourself and your mates - contact other friends by IM or email if you know they're looking. Don't post them here for at least a couple of days.

Whoops... Apologies fellas, and I agree 100% with the suggestion. I was up till 2am searching this morning...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:36:53 pm by SwedenRed »

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:38:21 pm »

No worries. It wasn't that specific, but handy just to draw people's attention to it anyway.

:wave
87:13

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »
Original post doesn't say a thing about flight details, does it? Just wanted to start a thread for all posts relating to our trip to Florence.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 01:49:31 pm »
Original post doesn't say a thing about flight details, does it? Just wanted to start a thread for all posts relating to our trip to Florence.
Your thread was ok... It was mine which gave a little bit away...

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »
Okay, get it now. Didn't see what you posted before editing it so wasn't quite sure what you were refering to.
To get back on topic, I have added the city's two main squares to the map, Piazza della Republica and Piazza della Signora
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:02:57 pm by gnaume »

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:27:49 pm »
So thats the train station that runs from Pisa is it mate? the one you put on your map? Stazione di Firenze Santa Maria Novella?
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »
I'd guess so but I'm not sure mate. Just says it's the city's main station.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:41 pm »
fantastic city was there during the 1990 world cup,word of warning, the main square there is bloody expensive think it cost £8 for a coke in them days....also remember the bluenoses having major trouble over there when they played them a couple of years ago,still looking forward to going back there,atmosphere should be brilliant,4 of us so far staying in the holiday inn florence for a couple of nites.....

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »
The Novotel is a decent hotel, it's near the airport, and they have a regular shuttle bus from the hotel to the central train/bus station, which is a 5 minute walk away from the Duomo and all the other central sites and squares.

I go to Florence every year on the way to my villa in Umbria, anyone who goes will have a wonderful time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:15:52 pm by JP-65 »

Offline LONGWORTH

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 03:38:18 pm »
Info for those of you flying into Pisa

Pisa-Florence by train

The journey from Pisa to Florence by train will only take an hour.

Pisa Airport and Firenze SMN railway station are connected by six trains a day. The Pisa-Florence line also connects Pontedera and Empoli.

The Airport, with 25 trains a day, is connected directly to Pisa Central Station. A lot of connections are thus available to all italian destinations, Florence included.

The cost of a single ticket from Pisa Airport to Florence SMN Station is 5.60* EUR and from Pisa Airport to Pisa Central Station is 1.10* EUR.   

* fares subject to change

At the Airport, you can buy your railway ticket at the Information Office in the arrivals hall. The railway terminal is located just outside the check-in hall.

Click here for timetables

For further information please click on www.ferroviedellostato.it

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »
Start uni the next day, devo'd i can't make it, flights are still cheap as.
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 04:08:06 pm »
Info for those of you flying into Pisa

Pisa-Florence by train

The journey from Pisa to Florence by train will only take an hour.

Pisa Airport and Firenze SMN railway station are connected by six trains a day. The Pisa-Florence line also connects Pontedera and Empoli.

The Airport, with 25 trains a day, is connected directly to Pisa Central Station. A lot of connections are thus available to all italian destinations, Florence included.

The cost of a single ticket from Pisa Airport to Florence SMN Station is 5.60* EUR and from Pisa Airport to Pisa Central Station is 1.10* EUR.   

* fares subject to change

At the Airport, you can buy your railway ticket at the Information Office in the arrivals hall. The railway terminal is located just outside the check-in hall.

Click here for timetables

For further information please click on www.ferroviedellostato.it

It's a 58 minute train ride from Bologna to Florence as well.  Worth keeping in mind as an alternative.

I posted in another thread that there are direct flights from London Gatwick to Florence airport.  Also most major airlines in Europe have flights into Florence, so connecting through Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich, Frankfurt etc are all possibilities.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:29 pm »
Train station info:

SMN is very central, 5 minute walk to the Duomo!

FLORENCE BY TRAIN

Florence has a number of train stations that link the main areas of the city. The principle train station is Santa Maria Novella, (or Firenze SMN as is it known by Trenitalia codes) located right in the city centre, in Piazza Stazione, front of the Santa Maria Novella Church.

High-speed, long-distance trains connect Florence Santa Maria Novella with other Italian and European cities via the the main north south line running from Milan to Rome. In general train travel is relatively inexpensive and rapid. Connections from Florence to Rome and Milan are excellent, and Rome is roughly 1 hour 40 minutes away, and Milan is 3 hours away on the high speed trains.

The station itself has many bars and cafes, where you will be able to find the most expensive bottles of soft drinks in Florence. There is an underground shopping gallery in the complex under the station which has a good selection of budget clothes and shoe shops, internet cafes, music and book shops and even a hairdresser.

Santa Maria Novella Florence Train Station

Transport Links

The SMN Firenze train station is well-connected with urban and intercity bus transport and many of Florence's orange buses leave from right outside the SMN Firenze station doors, and others from Via Luigi Alamanni, a short walk away across the Piazza della Stazione.

Across the road from the station in Via Valfonda, you will find the inter-urban bus stops for Lazzi and CAP head offices, and in the opposite direction the SITA head office in Via Santa Caterina di Siena - bus companies operating services in and around Florence.

A taxi rank is located outside the main entrance to the station and here you will also find the main bus stop for the "Florence Sightseeing bus", a red London-style double-decker bus that travels the streets of Florence just for tourists.

Florence does not have a metropolitan train network though the main line stations listed below can be used to quickly traverse the city if you need to go from east to west. Otherwise the following stations can be used to travel to and from Florence.

Campo di Marte Station
This station is located to the northeast of the city and used by the trains travelling northeast out of Florence, to destinations such as Arezzo and Rome.

Firenze Rifredi Station
Rifredi is located northwest of the city, and serves trains travelling west to Pistoia, Lucca and Viareggio, and north to Bologna and Milano.

Trains going between Rifredi and Santa Maria Novella leave about every 10 minutes during peak hours, and the trip is five minutes each way. Regional trains coming from the north and west of Florence stop at the Rifredi station as well.

Ticketing
Tickets can be bought from the automatic machines which are very handy as they take cash or credit cards, or from the staffed ticket desks between the hours of 7.30 am and 8.00 pm (though these hours are subject to change). There are nearly always queues at Firenze SMN so leave plenty of time before your train leaves.

Do keep in mind that Italy transport is prone to wild-cat strikes which can leave unsuspecting travellers stranded most inconveniently. Though there is no rule to the strikes they tend to be on Friday's and Monday's. Generally there are guaranteed services during commuter hours, but again it depends on the extent of the strike so check first if you urgently need to be somewhere.

Lastly it is very important to validate (timbrare) your tickets in one of yellow machines on the platform before getting on the train. If you travel without a ticket you risk a fine of 25 Euro and you cannot buy a ticket on board. Trenitalia ticket inspectors are not known for their leniency towards tourists even if you insist you didn't understand what you had to do.

Useful Contacts: Ticket Offices
Trenitalia - National Train Network Italy
National Railway Line (Ferrovie dello Stato) Information Bureau Tel: 166 10 50 50
Firenze Santa Maria Novella Central Train Station Tel: 147 880 88 / 2351
Firenze Rifredi Train Station. Tel: 055 243 344
Firenze Campo Di Marte Station. Tel: 055 411 138

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
I'd guess so but I'm not sure mate. Just says it's the city's main station.
yes, the main station is Santa Maria Novella.
there is also a station very close to the stadio( A.Franchi) called CAmpo d MArte but the train from Pisa doesn't stop directly in that.

I suggest you to buy the train ticket, when is possible, before online. the reason? you can find a queue at tthe ticket office, spent 1hour and lost your train...  :no and this is not good
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:07:00 pm by italian scouser »
Oh... I am a Liverpudlian, I come from the Spion Kop
I like to sing, I like to shout I go there quite a lot (every week)
We are the team who plays in red
A team that we all know A team that we call Liverpool

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:04:21 pm »
A taxi rank is located outside the main entrance to the station and here you will also find the main bus stop for the "Florence Sightseeing bus", a red London-style double-decker bus that travels the streets of Florence just for tourists.
I very sugget and recomend to NOT USE TAXI IN FIRENZE. It'll BE HUGE EXPANSIVE!!!!

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »
yes, the main station is Santa Maria Novella.
there is also a station very close to the stadio( A.Franchi) called CAmpo d MArte but the train from Pisa doesn't stop directly in that.

I suggest you to buy the train ticket, when is possible, before online. the reason? you can find a queue at tthe ticket office, spent 1hour and lost your train...  :no and this is not good
Any decent hotels by cheap bars you can recommend?
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »
Start uni the next day, devo'd i can't make it, flights are still cheap as.

Set a precedent and go the away.

It's what you'll spend 3 years doing.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 11:49:12 pm »
And get a 3rd and end up exiled in France?

Offline Nicoliverpool

• French Pie Eating Champion 2007
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We shall not be moved
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 11:58:06 pm »
Excuse me.
Anyway anyone I know doing this? Because it looks like I'm the only one who got onto them cheap flights when they were still cheap..
Yanks out

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 12:09:44 am »
Excuse me.
Anyway anyone I know doing this? Because it looks like I'm the only one who got onto them cheap flights when they were still cheap..

:D :D

Had to settle for £499 day return. None of my lot going neither so if you fancy a bevvy throw us a PM lar. x
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline Nicoliverpool

• French Pie Eating Champion 2007
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We shall not be moved
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 12:11:57 am »
Put that rod away you.
Yanks out

Offline J-PH

• I wanna take you to a Gay Bar, Gay Bar.
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 12:14:49 am »
Nico loves rod.

Offline OOT'erConnie

• ...but I'm alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:41 am »

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 08:01:29 am »
Any decent hotels by cheap bars you can recommend?
usually, like in MAdrid and the other turistic city, cheap hotel hasn't got a bar inside.
anyway this hotel is cheap, not so far from centre and expecially only 20minute walk to the Franchi Stadium( when I went to watch Fi game years ago I used):
Hotel D'Azeglio

I'm not sure but maybe the day of the match alchool will be forbidden( with everton 2years ago they made something similar) at least near the stadium( inside is always forbidden in italy) and in the centre

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »
Someone needs to stick a Pool flag on the statue of David.
hi

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »
And get a 3rd and end up exiled in France?

2:2 thanks.

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
  • The best day of my life
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »
Booked the Hotel Olimpia at Piazza Republica for 3 nights.

Great location for just 35 euros including brekkie per night.
One life, one love, one LIVERPOOL FC

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 09:33:56 pm »
I very sugget and recomend to NOT USE TAXI IN FIRENZE. It'll BE HUGE EXPANSIVE!!!!
Hardly any choice though! Looks a nighmare to get around... Only option is by bus...
Looked at hotels...  a mine field! So many to choose from.

Italian Scouser... Do you think they will lay on transport back to the City centre after the game? I remember in Milan, we were stranded as the trains stopped running. How do people geenerally get to the Stadium and back? Need to know, as this ultimately tells me where to get the Hotel.
There is the Holiday Inn in the SE end of the City, but is a 30 min bus ride from the centre...
Also how to get to and from the airport?

Thanks in advance.

Offline LONGWORTH

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 10:40:49 pm »
Staying at the Holiday Inn in Florence. Booked in with Phillip, Macca and John. There is bus that stops right outside the hotel and goes straight into the city (23a)
The stadium is on the east side of town and appears to be not too far from the centre of Florence. Have looked it up on Mapquest and it is Viale Manfredo Fanti.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »
If you're staying near the train station, which is very close to the centre of town, the Duomo, and the main squares, you can catch bus no. 68 at piazza degli Antinori which is close by to the station, the bus takes you to a few minutes away from the stadium, it's about 13-15 minutes on the bus.

Offline wewonit5timesinistanbul

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:28 am »
doing a 1 night trip for this one.
8 of us flying morning of the game in to Pisa.

Have booked Hotel Monica near to main train station. 240 euros for 8 of us, can wait.

Have also sorted out Lyon flights and hotel.

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:14 am »
Anyone else got the Thomas Cook prices for this?  £289+ticket, what a con.....

What are the SOS prices for this??
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:17:27 am by willss »

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:00 am »
Anyone else got the Thomas Cook prices for this?  £289+ticket, what a con.....

What are the SOS prices for this??
No SOS prices up for this yet.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/World-Choice-Sport.html
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline glockdanny

• Main Stander
  • Smell my cheese you mother
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 01:11:54 pm »
Anyone know if the cheapest way of travelling by train from Milan?

For example - usually, if you book a specific number of days before travel over here, you get the biggest discounts.  It's about 80 Euros at the moment for the times we need and none of those times involve peak hours - expensive!

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 01:31:16 pm »
Italian Scouser... Do you think they will lay on transport back to the City centre after the game? I remember in Milan, we were stranded as the trains stopped running. How do people geenerally get to the Stadium and back?

I'm not sure since is 4years I don't go to the Franchi stadium but usually, on sunday afternoon at least, there is a big bus service from the stadium to the city centre for 2hours after the match and I guess also for a cup match( in Milan the public service is rubbish and they don't consider you have to caome back from the stadium...)
there's also( maybe not since we're in italy... :-)  ) a bike sharing service which is very comfortable in a small city like Firenze.
if you'll go out late there is the line 70 is a night line( from S.Mnovella-Duomo-CAmpo di marte) with this timetable from C.dMarte
00:25   01:00   01:35   02:10   02:45   03:20   03:55   04:30   05:20   05:50   

Need to know, as this ultimately tells me where to get the Hotel.
There is the Holiday Inn in the SE end of the City, but is a 30 min bus ride from the centre...
Also how to get to and from the airport?

Thanks in advance.
which airport?
in front off th holidays inn hotel there a bus stop, line 23A, whic go to S.M Novella station and Duomo. ther's also near a bus stop, line 3 in viale gran bretagna, for the stadium.
maybe some problema for the return the last bus( line 71C) leave from P.za del duomo at 00:29

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:11 pm »

For example - usually, if you book a specific number of days before travel over here, you get the biggest discounts.  It's about 80 Euros at the moment for the times we need and none of those times involve peak hours - expensive!
from Milan to Fi there is Eurostar train( a kind of italian High way... if is possible to call hihg way a 200km/h speed...).about  2hours and 45€
the cheapes way is take the  IC leave at 7:05 or 11:00( arrive at  10:24 or 14:24) and cost only 26€
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:40:16 pm by italian scouser »

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »

just remember Milan Bergamo ( if thats your route ) is around 1 hour outside the city of Milan

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »
Sadly, due to the short notice...  and complaints from work...  have decided to go on the 1 day offal for this.  (I know, I know.)

Really want a few hours in Florence, and to get the match.  But the twats are being right bolshy, so its a quickie sadly.

Will make sure that Lyon and Budapest are more typical trips.  ;)

Offline glockdanny

• Main Stander
  • Smell my cheese you mother
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »
from Milan to Fi there is Eurostar train( a kind of italian High way... if is possible to call hihg way a 200km/h speed...).about  2hours and 45€
the cheapes way is take the  IC leave at 7:05 or 11:00( arrive at  10:24 or 14:24) and cost only 26€

Ta mate.  That's what I was looking at - those cheaper ones are at the wrong times for us.  11.30 is the earliest we can get to Milan Centrale, realistically