Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 251126 times)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cancer
« Reply #320 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:52 am »
Cheers everyone. Just got a phone call off my mum, he was taken into hospital early this morning after suffering a minor heart attack, not 100% sure of how he is as I'm at fucking work.

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
« Reply #321 on: November 19, 2010, 10:15:28 am »
get them to let you off mate... compassionate leave of absense and all that

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:55 am »
get them to let you off mate... compassionate leave of absense and all that

Depends on the employer. I'm having to use up my holidays to attend appointments, take days off for surgery etc. Not my cancer btw, immediate relative. Have to say it really doesn't make one feel like staying loyal when one's training period is up.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2010, 10:37:15 am »
Cheers everyone. Just got a phone call off my mum, he was taken into hospital early this morning after suffering a minor heart attack, not 100% sure of how he is as I'm at fucking work.

Fucking hell Harry!

Can't you simulate some sort of illness and leave if you cannot be allowed to leave?

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:20 am »
anyone ever had a lump on the thyroid gland? I have to have all the scans and a biopsy on it next week

fingers crossed it wont be serious

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2010, 10:48:44 am »
anyone ever had a lump on the thyroid gland? I have to have all the scans and a biopsy on it next week

Best of luck mate

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2010, 10:50:27 am »
Best of luck mate

nice one, either way the lump needs to be removed, not looking forward to having my neck sliced open at all

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2010, 10:51:53 am »

Try to stay positive and don't panic until (if necessary) you have the results of tests. Fingers crossed for you here, mate!!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
Try to stay positive and don't panic until (if necessary) you have the results of tests. Fingers crossed for you here, mate!!

cheers, trying not to panic, always think the worst tho

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2010, 10:55:38 am »

I should get my test back soon, I'm staying positive. Hopefully the nosebleeds are just sporadic

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2010, 10:56:08 am »
I should get my test back soon, I'm staying positive. Hopefully the nosebleeds are just sporadic

good luck!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:15 am »
Dunno what to do, the boss is grand here, there's only the two of us.

Just not sure what the scenario is if I go home as me ma said the part of the hospital he is in is strict about visiting times so I don't want to be moping about the house i think that'd be worse, I'd probably end up hitting the bottle.

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2010, 11:08:41 am »
find out the visiting times and then ask to leave an hour before so you can get changed, travel etc...

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:38 pm »

A lad I know had a lump there, he was early 30's when he had it done. It wasn't serious at all, I'm sure it will be the same in your case.
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
Try to stay positive and don't panic until you have the results of tests. No matter how unlucky you consider yourself NOBODY is bound to end up with that fucker of a disease. Fingers crossed for you mate!!

Thanks for helping me calm down :)
Tests came out ok btw *phew* 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:21 pm »

Hard not to really. It human nature at its worst, eh? ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »
Thanks for helping me calm down :)
Tests came out ok btw *phew* 

You're welcome mate! That's what this thread and this forum is all about!! :wave

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »
A lad I know had a lump there, he was early 30's when he had it done. It wasn't serious at all, I'm sure it will be the same in your case.

I hope so, thanks for the info

Offline Minore

• Late Night Cruiser of Swedish *ahem* "TV" Channels.
  • Kopite
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2010, 11:33:58 am »
Good luck mate. Fingers crossed.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2010, 04:11:02 pm »
Nice one

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2010, 10:30:15 am »
Yeah everone, cheers for asking, im ok, found out today though that my older sister has 6 months at best left.

She pretty much raised me

Gutted.

So so sorry to hear that mate
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:18 am »

So sorry to hear that mate. Best thing you can do is let him know you care but behave as normally as possible around him,keep his spirits up. Thats all i expect from anyone anyway.....

Any updates on your situation mate?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: November 24, 2010, 10:44:57 am »
Wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies. Lost an uncle to it last year and lost my great uncle to it last night. Really feel for my nan, she basically brought the man up and to watch him wither away over the past 6 months the way he did was pretty harrowing. Went to see him last night before he went, just skin and bones.

I just hope I don't have to face it when I'm older. Respect to those in this thread who are fighting it.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #343 on: November 24, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »
Had my second cycle of chemo today,nearly halfway through it. Lets hope its doin its shit.
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: November 24, 2010, 09:06:46 pm »
I'm crying all by myself right now.  :'(

I lost my dad to cancer almost 6 years ago and I miss my dad like hell tonight and to make matters "worse" - I "like" missing him - I came across this song on Youtube. The lyrics are just bang on for me!

Forget the cliche gestures and looks of the band - just listen to the lyrics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdzSVj0rW3s

Offline Fuschimuschi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:04 am »
A question to you in Britain who have no private health insurance.
How much do you have to pay yourself?

My mom does this thing before every chemo cycle where they pump vitamins and other stuff through her system for
5 hours to minimize the effects of the chemo, no idea how it's called in English.

Does your insurance cover that?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2010, 07:00:02 am »
A question to you in Britain who have no private health insurance.
How much do you have to pay yourself?

My mom does this thing before every chemo cycle where they pump vitamins and other stuff through her system for
5 hours to minimize the effects of the chemo, no idea how it's called in English.

Does your insurance cover that?

We don't pay a penny for the treatment or drugs, it's all part of our National Health Service.

There was a bit of a postcode lottery though concerning certain types of cancer treatment though, such as Herceptin was one I believe and it was dependent on where you lived as whether you could receive it due to costs and the willingness of local trusts to pay for it. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

The first part is an anti sickness drug, as you say, to prevent the sickness side of the side affects.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Fuschimuschi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2010, 07:03:09 am »
Interesting.

Well here (Germany) the insurance covers the chemo but not the anti sickness drug, at least her's doesn't,
I'm sure there are some who do.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:05:08 am by Fuschimuschi »

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:04 am »
Interesting.

Well here (Germany) the insurance covers the chemo but not the anti sickness drug, at least her's doesn't,
I'm sure there are some who do.

Just to add, as far as I'm aware, all cancer patients in UK get a cancer prescription card, so all prescriptions are free. Things such as mouthwash, painkillers are also given free. A couple of years ago the wife was given some anti sickness tablets and at the time they were costing around £10 each, it just shows how much it all costs.

I read a while back a lady in America who had cancer had a limit on her health insurance of $1m and he treatment was costing over $300,000 a year, so she had just over 3 years treatment available, god knows what happens after that and how they go about getting insurance if treatment was successful, I presume the premiums become very expensive.

One reason why I will never knock the NHS.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:12:17 am by keithcun »
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:56 am »
Just to add, as far as I'm aware, all cancer patients in UK get a cancer prescription card, so all prescriptions are free. Things such as mouthwash, painkillers are also given free. A couple of years ago the wife was given some anti sickness tablets and at the time they were costing around £10 each, it just shows how much it all costs.

I read a while back a lady in America who had cancer had a limit on her health insurance of $1m and he treatment was costing over $300,000 a year, so she had just over 3 years treatment available, god knows what happens after that and how they go about getting insurance if treatment was successful, I presume the premiums become very expensive.

One reason why I will never knock the NHS.

Wigs are also available on the NHS, as a side note. The treatment I received on the NHS was outstanding so like you I can't knock it. I haven't had to pay a penny, and I've just finished 4 out of 6 years.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2010, 02:38:04 pm »
Wigs are also available on the NHS, as a side note. The treatment I received on the NHS was outstanding so like you I can't knock it. I haven't had to pay a penny, and I've just finished 4 out of 6 years.

Of chemo? or other treatments too?

Henry Rollins

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: November 25, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
Of chemo? or other treatments too?

Chemo and other treatments. I had 6 months of chemo, surgery, 7 weeks of radiotherapy, one year of Herceptin and five years of hormonal treatment. Chemo was hell, as I'm sure you're aware, and has left me with quite a few problems. Hope all's going well for you, sending you positive vibes.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2010, 11:40:26 am »
Jesus,you must have some spirit!! Lets hope you carry on for a long time,minus treatment! Im looking at a similar scenario now,long term treatment as what i have is incurable.

Positive vibes back to you!! And anyone else going through this on here,stay strong and as i friend i lost to this shit disease gave us as her last words,enjoy life........

Henry Rollins

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »
Yeah everone, cheers for asking, im ok, found out today though that my older sister has 6 months at best left.

She pretty much raised me

Gutted.

Sorry to hear that.  :(

Just saw when the thread started, my condolences mate. =\
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:17:26 pm by Discipline »
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2010, 12:37:48 pm »
A mate of mine lost his wife in March to a brain tumour leaving behind 3 beautiful and wonderful children, it's the silent killer that is completley indiscriminate. As a result of her passing away my mate is setting up a brain tumour charity called Headcase to fund research into GBM tumours.
We have just got Ronnie Irani on board as our patron and are in the process of setting up a website etc are ambition is to raise £30k a year to fund research into these kind of tumours which at present have no cure.

I hate it with a passion and pray to god that it will never take anyone else I care about.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
People who knock the NHS are ignorant bastards, usually those who were born with a silver spoon on their mouth. Through the life of our family, we have never got anything except great care for free. Simple as

Hope everyone in here is staying strong. Finding it hard to cope with the loss personally
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »
People who knock the NHS are ignorant bastards

Totally agree. Its the envy of the word, but sadly most british people slate anything that is unique about our country (TV license etc....). We love to moan and don't know hoe lucky we are. Bet there aren't many cancer sufferers who move to the US during their treatment.

Girlfriends Grandad is in Warrington at moment with secondary liver cancer. The levels of care he is getting is amazing.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2010, 09:12:59 pm »
Totally agree. Its the envy of the word, but sadly most british people slate anything that is unique about our country (TV license etc....). We love to moan and don't know hoe lucky we are. Bet there aren't many cancer sufferers who move to the US during their treatment.

Not wishing to turn this into an NHS debate but I think part of the problem is the way the NHS is perceived. People think that because they have "paid" for it through tax and NI contributions they are entitled to care no matter what the cost. Unfortunately there are a finite number of people paying into the system and the NHS is not a bottomless pit of money. NICE and Primary Care Trusts get slagged off something rotten because they won't let this patient have that drug at a cost of £30,000 for an extra month with their family, but the people in charge of the purse strings have to look at the big picture and it comes down to where the money is best spent: giving one person another month or paying for a nurse for a year.

The other problem is that people only tend to comment about the NHS when it's either done something really fantastic or bloody awful. There's little recognition for the day-to-day grind that is work in the public health sector. I can speak from recent experience in this respect. My Dad had some of the most fantastic, dedicated care I've ever seen and my Mum is now experiencing a similar level of care from specialist clinicians. On the other hand, I had the misfortune to spend 2 nights in the now infamous Stafford Hospital. My early admission to the surgical assessment unit was fine and the staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough, but by midnight when I'd been deemed non-surgical and transferred to the ward it was rapidly going downhill and resulted in my being left without food or water for over 24 hours and having to threaten to take my own discharge at 10pm in order to get a glass of water and a sandwich. 

The other problem is that whilst you'll remember the good things, it's the bad stuff that really sticks in your head. For my family, Stafford Hospital is now a no-go zone. I'm lucky that I live equidistant between 2 A&E units, but if ever I'm looking at an A&E trip again I'll make sure the vehicle I'm going there in turns left at the roundabout instead of right.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:44 am »
Jesus,you must have some spirit!! Lets hope you carry on for a long time,minus treatment! Im looking at a similar scenario now,long term treatment as what i have is incurable.

Ha, that's interesting - that's not how I see it at all but thank you. And thank you - look forward to the end of treatment and just a bit worried that I need an MRI scan because of pain in my lower back, though I don't think it's anything serious. Hope yours will be easily manageable - what kind of treatment will you be getting? Hope the chemo's not too bad for you and that you're managing to keep warm.

Positive vibes back to you!! And anyone else going through this on here,stay strong and as i friend i lost to this shit disease gave us as her last words,enjoy life........

'Enjoy life' pretty much sums it up perfectly. Hope all those affected one way or another are managing to have some good times despite it all.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »
Just the chemo at the moment,got to see how the drugs react to the cancer cells to see where i go next treatmwnt-wise. Its rough but im managing to keep my head above water for now. Just got to keep setting the little goals for myself and hopefully one day will come where ill have no goals left to set?! Just plain livin!!

Feel free Bioluminescence to message me on here if you need a rant or advice or anything and anyone else too for that matter,id like to do as much as i can to help anyone going through this or something just as shite....

YNWA

Henry Rollins