Author Topic: Why is Rafael Benitez so popular with Liverpool fans?  (Read 18113 times)

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
Re: Why is Rafael Benitez so popular with Liverpool fans?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 02:46:43 am »
Because he didn't celebrate yesterday when we were battering Villa out of respect to his colleague Bryce Morrison who lost his his life so suddenly.  Something sly sports forgot about the second the minutes silence passed.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 03:55:38 am »
He's always looking at how, and why, we didn't win every minute of every game.  Where did we go wrong, how could we have done better?  Even when we win 5-0, he's still looking at what could have been a weakness to lead to a possible goal, or even a chance at goal.  He's a perfectionist, and any player that can't deal with that needs to go and talk to Sammy, because Rafa is perfect just the way he is.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:28 am »
He's always looking at how, and why, we didn't win every minute of every game.  Where did we go wrong, how could we have done better?  Even when we win 5-0, he's still looking at what could have been a weakness to lead to a possible goal, or even a chance at goal.  He's a perfectionist, and any player that can't deal with that needs to go and talk to Sammy, because Rafa is perfect just the way he is.

And wasn't that always the way with Shanks/Paisley/Fagan and Kenny. Rafa is reminding me more and more of those legends, i absolutely loved the way he refused to get carried away today, so like that golden quartet, class, dignity and the desire to keep improving all the time or put more simply The Liverpool Way.

Reminds me a lot of Paisley in his tactical nous and Shanks in his wit and sheer determination.

Offline mazzapool

• Main Stander
  • YNWA LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 05:07:02 am »
We love him because he's gonna get us no.19! :P
"We thrashed them 0-0!"

Bill Shankly

Offline eparker

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2009, 06:23:36 am »
Cos he sat down during the Chelsea pen shoot out so the supporters behind him could see...

hahaha can't agree more!

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 06:54:14 am »
He's intelligent, funny, humble, and doesn't take sh*t from the likes of Fergie, Moan!nho, and Parry, and he does all of the above with class.

On top of all that he's a winner.  Multiple times over.

Can't think of a single human on the planet who can do that other than Rafa.  Nope, not one.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 07:01:04 am »
I'll see your brown suit and raise you Rafa in denim pre-season.

wins hands down!!!

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:23 am »
He's class
He's a perfectionist
He's slightly eccentric
He's got total belief in himself and his ability
He's upset the UK Media because he thinks most them are idiots
He's only worn Jeans at Wrexham
He's got a great line in Jazz beards
He's got a Missus that needs a new watch (or two) in May
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline redders74

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 09:21:05 am »
And wasn't that always the way with Shanks/Paisley/Fagan and Kenny. Rafa is reminding me more and more of those legends, i absolutely loved the way he refused to get carried away today, so like that golden quartet, class, dignity and the desire to keep improving all the time or put more simply The Liverpool Way.

Reminds me a lot of Paisley in his tactical nous and Shanks in his wit and sheer determination.

Rafa reminds me of Shanks when Shanks talked about building Liverpool into a "bastion of invincibility" and that he would build Liverpool "up and up until everyone else will have to submit to us". His perfectionist attitude and constantly wanting us to keep improving will only stand us in good stead in the years to come... I think we will witness Anfield becoming a bastion of invincibility very very soon...
"There're only 2 Great Teams in Merseyside: Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 07:25:43 pm »
OK....I'll admit that my fear of "starting new threads" cause me to shoehorn this in here but, I thought it was a great read ....and potentially could provide hours (yah, I have nothing better to do) of entertainment! :wave

March 23, 2009
Cheer up Rafa Benitez: five ways to make the Liverpool manager smile

Ben Smith

Rafael Benitez is the ultimate perfectionist and as hard to please as any manager in football.

Even after yesterday's 5-0 victory over Aston Villa, Benitez looked about as happy as Cheryl Cole after she got that text while following Chris Moyles' backside up a mountain. "Don’t get me wrong, I am really happy," Benitez said. "The players are doing a fantastic job, but always can improve a little bit.”

In his autobiography, Steven Gerrard gave us an insight into the Benitez mindset. "If Liverpool win and I stick away a dead good hat-trick and do ninety-eight things right and two wrong, Rafa will pull me up sharpish. ‘Stevie, about those two mistakes,’ he will say. Nothing about the hat-trick or the ninety-eight good things ... My aim is still to get a ‘well done’ off Rafa before I retire. But then, if he gives me a ‘well done’, I might need treatment and a long lie-down."

So here's our shot at coming up with five things that will make Rafa come as close to smiling as he did when he passed that last kidney stone (and it wasn't easy... the list not the kidney stone)

1. The Kop to sing Lucas Leiva's name and hail him as their new hero as he is brought on at Anfield.

2. Benitez to be offered improved terms on yet another new contract in which he is given control of players' wages, staff wages, length and colour of players' hair, season ticket prices, appointment of Melwood cleaning staff, temperature in the stadium, the weather, ...

3. Mr. Ferguson to crack under the intense pressure of the title race and in an impassioned post-match interview with Sky Sports' Geoff Shreeves (scheduling permitting, of course) the Scot to say that "he would love it, just love it if he beat Liverpool."

4. Rick Parry left to carry his own personal effects through the Shankly Gates after negotiations with removal company collapse.

5. Liverpool to beat Jurgen Klinsmann's Bayern Munich in the semi-final of this season's Champions League

We'd love to hear your suggestions.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cheer up Rafa Benitez: five ways to make the Liverpool manager smile :
Comments
1-Torres returns from international break uninjured.
2-Parry starts new job,toilet attendant at Melwood.
3-Keane scores hattrick at old trafford.
4-Fergusson gets 2mnth touchline ban for constant moaning.
5-Lucas scores 30yrd screamer to secure title!

Posted by: scousepete | 23 Mar 2009 14:43:23

To Make Rafa Smile:

1. 100% Ball Possession.
2. 90 goals in 90 minute.
3. Concede 0 goals.
4. No Players injured whole season.
5. If on July 11, 2010 1300 Rafa says
he wants to sign Kaka, on July 11,
2010 1301 Kaka signs for Liverpool.
**( Kaka is just an example )**

Posted by: diranoct3 | 23 Mar 2009 12:21:02

How about Manu losing the next 3-9 games? Its possile. Rafa may smile when they lose the next 3 !

Posted by: Boon | 23 Mar 2009 12:06:04

Source: The Times

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/03/cheer-up-benite.html
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline Portland1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 07:30:58 pm »
because he has the qwwaality and is putting together a sqwwwaad that will give us titles. He is the best manayer
YNWA

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »
The simple answer is because he's a 'Liverpool' manager
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Chiliking

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 07:57:40 pm »
Rafa has put together a squad with no assholes!
Look at manu with Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio. I would have cringed if our players were like those cretins.
Chelseas Dogbreath, Terry, lampard, bunch of cockmunchers
Bubbles! Oh come on Sharon! I'm fucking Ozzy Osbourne, I'm the Prince of fucking Darkness. Evil! Evil! What's fucking evil about a shitload of bubbles!?
Ozzy Osbourne

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »
Look at manu with Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio. I would have cringed if our players were like those cretins.

I'd say it's partly the club that does it. I genuinely don't think Ronaldo would have been the way he is now had he arrived at Anfield at 18.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hĺllar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 08:02:57 pm »
I love the man. Can't see any other manager leading us atm because of my appreciation of Rafa.

One mainly reason because of hes loved is the way he tries to understand our history, making similary comments like Shankly and leading us to history title wins. I mean the games we have won latley its already classic. The fan who told Rafa to stay at anfield for 20 more years is spot on. Siempre es possible!

Offline wilber7

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
Because he's pissed off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7958331.stm

like getting blood out of a stone(or the bells out of fergies hand)

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:34 pm »
Bringing Fowler back
Being in tune with the city and the fans
Istanbul
Cardiff
Athens
Bringing Sammy Lee back
Going in the pub with the fans
Showing Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona how good he is, at their place, in front of their fans- not just over 2 legs
Showing Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona the door in Europe.
In amongst all these other shithouse managers in the Premier League, one who acts with class and dignity.
The feeling that he is here to build us as a club- together with us as the fans, rather than use us as a chance to build his CV- with all this crap about the owners, you know that he has our best interests at heart.

And they are just side products of his tactical nous in Europe and his continuing development of our squad. Very proud to have him as manager. He will be the top manager that I tell the youngsters about when I grow up, like Paisley, Fagan and Shankly were described to me. I am sure of this.
Sums it up perfectly for me...
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »
Can't stand the bloke. Pink fucking tie on today ffs, have a word with your self.

Disgrace.

He was co-ordinating with Rick.

Offline Hyderabad Red

• Is back... and having an identity crisis.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:38 pm »
Sums it up perfectly for me...
Perfect

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:51 pm »
4. Rick Parry left to carry his own personal effects through the Shankly Gates after negotiations with removal company collapse.

That made me spill my tea... :lmao
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »
Because he didn't celebrate yesterday when we were battering Villa out of respect to his colleague Bryce Morrison who lost his his life so suddenly.  Something sly sports forgot about the second the minutes silence passed.

great point.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:41 pm »
Because he has brought back the European nights which made this club what it is.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:29 pm »

Most non Liverpool fans think Gerrard and Carragher are twats

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2009, 09:47:12 pm »
Cos he sat down during the Chelsea pen shoot out so the supporters behind him could see...

So fucking class - sums him up to a tee and how much he cares about the city, the club and the fans - LEGEND
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Hyderabad Red

• Is back... and having an identity crisis.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 09:47:34 pm »
Well,
1>Rafa brought down to The Kop End,the Euopean glory.

2>In Rafa's reigme,we've won the FA Cup.

3>In Rafa's reigme,we've conquored Stamford Bridge,Nou Camp,Bernabue,Old Trafford.

4>He looks smart ;D :D

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
Love is a many splendid thing and among the most splendid is the way he shows the British media and the pundits for the cretins they are.

Also he's been great to my daughter's school by giving them a bus.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 10:17:27 pm »
Plus hes a great manager

(just that i cant remember anyone mentioning that)
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline phil5times

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:48 pm »
Bringing Fowler back
Being in tune with the city and the fans
Istanbul
Cardiff
Athens
Bringing Sammy Lee back
Going in the pub with the fans
Showing Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona how good he is, at their place, in front of their fans- not just over 2 legs
Showing Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona the door in Europe.
In amongst all these other shithouse managers in the Premier League, one who acts with class and dignity.
The feeling that he is here to build us as a club- together with us as the fans, rather than use us as a chance to build his CV- with all this crap about the owners, you know that he has our best interests at heart.

And they are just side products of his tactical nous in Europe and his continuing development of our squad. Very proud to have him as manager. He will be the top manager that I tell the youngsters about when I grow up, like Paisley, Fagan and Shankly were described to me. I am sure of this.

Agree 110% for sure

Offline teganyavo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 10:49:51 pm »
Most non Liverpool fans think Gerrard and Carragher are twats

Nah, they're just jealous--Gerrard and Carragher had the unspeakably good fortune to be born Scouse.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:15 pm »
For many of the reasons above, and the fact he's fucking boss. And also the fact that nobody else seems to see it - what he has done for us, and did for Valencia, and stil no-ome seems to give him the respect he deserves. And he just soldiers on. I wouldn't swap him for any other manager in the world. This is fact. :)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 11:25:22 pm »
Dry sense of humour and whilst everybody around him are in hysteria you know he'll always remain calm to bring everyone back down to earth and when the reverse if we drop points!

Still love his take on cricket ;D
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »
Because he's ours.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 12:51:50 am »
He might look like a fat Spanish waiter, but he's our fat Spanish waiter.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:16 am »
So calm and collective.

Offline i6uuaq

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Hmm... what's this personal text thing, then?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 01:06:26 am »
He might look like a fat Spanish waiter, but he's our fat Spanish waiter.

hmm. pardon my ignorance, i don't get down to the matches, but is there a song about the "fat spanish waiter" yet?

that one might make him smile. ;D
"I've not seen it and I'm not being Arsene Wenger," Dalglish said. "If there's something untoward then I am sure the governing body will act appropriately."

Offline Rock-N-Red

• Main Stander
  • 96 Never Forgotten
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:46 am »

Because, like Poirot, the genius super sleuth, he’s a perfectionist who never gives up and is always at least one step of everyone else!

Oh and he’s also a pretty decent bloke too!

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »
Liverpudlians love Rafa Benitez so much because he has a sense of belonging, this is his city and these are his people, much the same as Shanks before him, he understands what this city is all about.

Absolutely agree 99.9% just tell this to the very very small minority that still persist in questioning him been the right man. Like the fella Sky interviewed opposite the kop I think on the friday before the man utd game? A strong scouse accent. And the woman, again a scouser I recall, in the supporters club before the Sunderland game saying stuff like 'I never have liked Rafa'.

I was at that Sunderland game with my family, got on the box at the club apparently, and spoke up for Rafa that night. A half day off work to travel down the M62 whilst its pissing it down with rain, spot of tea in the Cabbage and a few pints at the club and then Sandon. All for Sunderland in midweek on back of a defeat at middlesboro. Why? Cos I love Rafa and this club and I love mixing with the locals. And no amount of 1am's crawling into bed after a 12 hour round trip like this will ever put me off.

Liverpool and Rafa were made to be together just as Shankly was before. We have been blessed.
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59:11 pm »
Because his only consistent reaction to a goal is to look at his watch.

Oh, and because it's so obvious our Spanish lads learned all their English from him. The only things they keep saying in interviews are, "fahntasteek" and "is important, no?".
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline axb96m

• Hates foreigners
  • Anny Roader
  • Victim of mods
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 02:24:25 pm »
Because when things go wrong, he doesn't blame the players, he simply says that we all have to work harder.

And when things go right, he doesn't take the glory, he simply says that we all have to work harder  ;)

Compare and contrast to Redknapp, Allardyce, Moyes, Bruce...
"Admittedly, Michelangelo has been dead for 441 years, and as such, the metaphor is slightly ill conceived; unless, of course, to even it out, the monkey has also been dead for 441 years –– in which case, the whole thing is just rather macabre: a dead artist, a dead monkey and two untouched pieces of clay..."