Author Topic: Peter Etherington's books  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Peter Etherington's books
« on: January 3, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
I presume there is a topic somewhere in here about Evo's books but I thought I would add my bit.

I'm just reading his first book 'One boy and his Kop' which is a memoir of his early days supporting Liverpool from the mid sixties onwards.

Peter is a typical kid from Bootle growing up about a mile from me in north Liverpool. The dialogue is gritty, funny and about as typical Scouse as you could get. Though some out of town supporters may struggle with references such as 'I got the bus home from skelly', old timers like me know he's referring to the Ribble bus garage in Skelhorne Street. The book is littered with stuff like this and is all the better for it.

Though Peter is 3 or 4 years older than me his reminiscences including fine details of games from that period when I too was in the Boys Pen brought it all back. I particularly enjoyed him talking about the second leg game against Vitoria Setubal of Portugal, when there was ten minutes confusion  after the final whistle while everybody tried to get their heads around who qualified with the new away goals rule. They finally announced over the tannoy that we were out. I totally forgot all about that night.

His stories of away trips with his mates are bang on the nail with my memories of our gangs trips. Peter deals with the early days of hooliganism known then as 'agro' in a non sensationalist but very realistic way for everyone who remembers it. Who remembers when the Kop used to chant
AG
AGR
AGRO...'AGRO' in greatly exaggerated posh voices. I do know thanks to Evo's excellent book.

There's loads of other stuff about his family, mates, work and girls which makes it a must read for any true red.

Its available through Amazon and Peter signed and delivered mine within twenty four hours, though if there is a rush of orders he may struggle to keep that up !

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
Re: Peter Etherington's books
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2009, 12:44:46 pm »
The cheque's in the post Andy.  ;D Thanks for that
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Dragonshadow

• Needs to work on his grovelling.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2009, 04:44:06 pm »
I've been lucky enough to read all three of Evo's books over Christmas, and I have to say they are a must read for any true Red.

This write up of the first installment is true for the second and third books too. A brilliant, funny and honest read. Even if they should be marked not for the under 16's!!! ;)

Thanks for these Pete. Certainly made my year, and I'd recommend them to all of you, if you don't already have them.

DS

"The supporters here are amazing, I am very happy, they give me a lot of support and we try always like Bill Shankly said to make people happy"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Brooks

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2022, 12:09:31 am »
Was just wondering what ever happened to Peter? I'm living in a sleepy town in South Australia now and came across one of those donate and take a book boxes. I looked inside and jumped out of my skin when I saw Peter's Middle of the Kop, My Youth - My Kop and One boy and his Kop books, all signed copies to a girl called Nancy. Turned out my kids goes to school with Nancy's daughter and I caught up with her and we got talking, turns out she's a mad Liverpool supporter and I thought I'd impress her that I found three of Evo's books and that we used to hang out on RAWK decades ago. Funny enough, they were her books and she'd decided to pass them on.
Seriously, how fucking stupid can this get. Chelsea could not be more lucky. Those stupid fuckers. And Gary Neville who's been making sweet love to them all night and GOD DAMMIT I HATE EVERYTHING. FUCK CHELSEA. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I HATE THEM SO GODDAM MUCH!!!!

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2022, 12:57:40 am »
He has been gone off here a while, set up his own website but that seems to have gone too. He is on Twitter bit doesn't post much.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2022, 07:49:08 pm »
He has been gone off here a while, set up his own website but that seems to have gone too. He is on Twitter bit doesn't post much.

He's still on Facebook and still goes to the match.. :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.