Author Topic: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?  (Read 154286 times)

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?
« Reply #1160 on: March 16, 2009, 03:36:40 am »
I am not going to rest easy until this is sorted.  I'm not saying it's ok to have the two bellends in charge but you can put up with it when we have somebody like Rafa at the helm.  If they don't give him a new contract, I am truly going to despair.  We are becoming what Valencia was under Rafa - there have been signs of this for a long time.  We have to stay the course.  We simply have to!

Give him a new contract you clueless muppets before he walks! Wake up and see how good a thing we have in him!

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1161 on: March 16, 2009, 03:38:50 am »
Man City ISN"T a Top-Job.
They need a manger who can get them into the top-3 in the toughest league in Europe. It's a poisoned chalice not a top-job.
Yes you get money for the City job, but no time. Henchmen like Capello, Hiddink, Eriksson, Koeman etc. will take the job, but they won't take the team up to the top 3.

Get real! People were saying that about Chelsea.  They bid something like 80 million for Messi and they were in for Kaka.  You must be kidding when you say it's not a top job.  If they spend enough money, they will win the league either next year or the year after.  It didn't take Chelsea long to do it and it won't take Man City long either.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1162 on: March 16, 2009, 03:40:04 am »
Also, if I were Man City, I would be throwing money at Rafa right now and that's probably exactly what they are doing.  Get either Rafa or Mourinho at the helm and with the kind of spending power that City are rumoured to have, I shudder to think what they could do with it!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1163 on: March 16, 2009, 05:28:47 am »
is this the DANNY page?? :D

Danny get Rafa that contract ! :D

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #1164 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:09 am »
Get real! People were saying that about Chelsea.  They bid something like 80 million for Messi and they were in for Kaka.  You must be kidding when you say it's not a top job.  If they spend enough money, they will win the league either next year or the year after.  It didn't take Chelsea long to do it and it won't take Man City long either.
I am real, Where is Kaka playing ? Messi in Manchester ? NO.
City COULD become a big club signing top players and entering the CL, but for now that is not gonna happen, like Chelsea (who didn't get Eto / Gerrard / Ronaldo - real one) they had to  buy quality Mercenaries (Drogba / Essien etc.) to add to an already strong team that was in the top-4 at the time.
The only top draw players City have bought is Robiniho & Jo. Jo is on loan to Chelsea 'cause Huges couldn't get him to function and Robiniho takes the piss by failing to turn up to training to piss off back to Brazil so is now being touted around Chelsea to get him off the books and out of the club (allegedly).

For City to reach top 3 is a tough job that money will not guaranty success. Had they kept Eriksson then he could have got players in, but Huges has no European appeal, so the wage is the only attraction to City. In the cold dark winter the megastars don't want to turn up.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #1165 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:07 am »
It suits everyone to wait till the summer. From the clubs point of viewRafa is under contract till the end of next season and he is going nowhere until this seasons end anyway, also the ownership situation going forwards will be clearer too.
From Rafa's perspective the seasons end will put a stamp on his achievements, and allow him to judge what else there is out there.

The ownership situation is a problem, but not as big a one as some might think.The Madrid job is the big lure, but it would be whoever owned Liverpool ,and however well or badly we had been doing.No-one could begrudge a Spamiard the opportunity to manage Madrid.

In Torres and Gerrard we have two world class players, only the Mancs and arguably Chelsea can match that.His salary here is a match for anywhere, and how many clubs can afford £25m on Torres,£20m on Keane and £16m on Mascherano? Not many.Crucially, Rafa's international status is based on his Champs League performance, Madrid,Milan etc dont care that he hasnt won the Prem. And I suspect that Rafa sees us as being his best chance of ongoing Euro glory.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:33 am »
Why would Rafa choose to leave his project now? It will take extreme provocation for him to walk, I think. I'm not saying our owners aren't capable of that, but they also know who is good for their bank balances.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1167 on: March 16, 2009, 09:59:07 am »
It suits everyone to wait till the summer. From the clubs point of viewRafa is under contract till the end of next season and he is going nowhere until this seasons end anyway, also the ownership situation going forwards will be clearer too.
From Rafa's perspective the seasons end will put a stamp on his achievements, and allow him to judge what else there is out there.

The ownership situation is a problem, but not as big a one as some might think.The Madrid job is the big lure, but it would be whoever owned Liverpool ,and however well or badly we had been doing.No-one could begrudge a Spamiard the opportunity to manage Madrid.

In Torres and Gerrard we have two world class players, only the Mancs and arguably Chelsea can match that.His salary here is a match for anywhere, and how many clubs can afford £25m on Torres,£20m on Keane and £16m on Mascherano? Not many.Crucially, Rafa's international status is based on his Champs League performance, Madrid,Milan etc dont care that he hasnt won the Prem. And I suspect that Rafa sees us as being his best chance of ongoing Euro glory.
Agree with the most of your post.  In Rafa's eyes he will know that he holds all the aces, even more so if we can pick up the cl and and at least finish the league withn a few points off top. 

In terms of the clubs ownership it could go any way.  There are a number of possibilities including a full take over, half take over or no take over at all.  It seems that there are strong arguments for each scenario taking place thwarted by Strong arguments why they wont.  Classic limbo until we approach the summer.  I really don't know if the owners see having benitez signed now will make the club more attractive to investors or put them off.  I really doubt the owners know either.

Technically we cannot afford buying in players, i think our January exploits proved or gave an insight to that.  It is possible that Rafa decided we did not need to sign anyone and infact needed to get rid (Keane).  IMO i doubt it.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: March 16, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »
Why would Rafa choose to leave his project now? It will take extreme provocation for him to walk, I think. I'm not saying our owners aren't capable of that, but they also know who is good for their bank balances.
I think it suits everyone for Rafa to stay.

As i suggested before, the only thing that might change it is if Madrid offer the managers job in the summer.His long term conections and affiliations with the club are such that he may feel that the chance may not come again.It would not be about him wanting to leave us, but instead the pride as a Spaniard of managing his "home town" team, one of the worlds greatest clubs.You couldnt really begrudge him that.

Nonetheless, we have performed better in the Champs league than Madrid in recent years, and he may feel that he has another Champs League title, or two, in him here.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #1169 on: March 16, 2009, 03:49:50 pm »

I think it suits everyone for Rafa to stay.

As i suggested before, the only thing that might change it is if Madrid offer the managers job in the summer.His long term conections and affiliations with the club are such that he may feel that the chance may not come again.It would not be about him wanting to leave us, but instead the pride as a Spaniard of managing his "home town" team, one of the worlds greatest clubs.You couldnt really begrudge him that.

Nonetheless, we have performed better in the Champs league than Madrid in recent years, and he may feel that he has another Champs League title, or two, in him here.

no,
hes said that he will spend years makign success with us, and I believe he will go to Madrid one day , but also after having won trophies for us, so that he can walk into their club with an unbeatable CV...
but for the next few years at least RAFA is a RED!!!
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1170 on: March 16, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »
As i suggested before, the only thing that might change it is if Madrid offer the managers job in the summer.His long term conections and affiliations with the club are such that he may feel that the chance may not come again.

Given the rate at which they change the managers - and the fact he has about 5 opportunitis to manage them already just in the 5 years he has been at Liverpool - I dont think it conceivable that Rafa will think "its now or never with Madrid".  More likely "its now or in 6 months when the current fall guy gets the inevitable push".

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1171 on: March 16, 2009, 05:59:08 pm »
Also, Madrid would be a massive step down for him. He may as well go to Hartlepool.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: March 16, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »
Given the rate at which they change the managers - and the fact he has about 5 opportunitis to manage them already just in the 5 years he has been at Liverpool - I dont think it conceivable that Rafa will think "its now or never with Madrid".  More likely "its now or in 6 months when the current fall guy gets the inevitable push".

I think that you underestimate Rafa's vanity.At some stage someone is going to get it right at Madrid - he will see that someone as him.It's a good time to go there.

It's all checks and balances and fortunately for us Rafa's European reputation hangs on his Champions League performance, I have a good feeling about this year.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: March 16, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
I think Benitez has integrity.

I don't believe he would make all the demands and then when he gets most of what he wants - walk.

He isn't going to be able to take Torres to Madrid or Gerrard and he will like what he's building here. His stock is very very high now and being the political animal that he is he will use that.

I do think he will stay.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1174 on: March 16, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »
Rafa has made it quite clear that Madrid is an 'end of career' job. Man City would jump at the chance to get him and they have a very good academy which would appeal. That's what he wants to have, his own people running the 'project' from start to end-game in the first team squad. Italy would also beckon with both Inter and Milan expected to have new managers this summer, Rafa is fluent in their language.

Perhaps now the wedding has taken place in Mexico we'll get some action. IMO not a good idea to leave it much longer, that smacks of disaster on a large scale. But I'm not holding my breath as the inertia at the top is there for everyone to see.
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1175 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:14 pm »
exactly, furthermore i dont think its a priority for the owners now, as he wants to stay, and they wont be here..
Rafa will continue to build this team, and will have a better working relationship with the club minus parry and the 2 dicks in charge, we will build a new stadium, he knows he is loved by the fans, and that we can challenge for the PL and CL....

no way is Rafa leaving, too many positives, the present is uncertain, but that only feuls desire for our future.....

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:43 pm »
Rafa has made it quite clear that Madrid is an 'end of career' job. Man City would jump at the chance to get him and they have a very good academy which would appeal. That's what he wants to have, his own people running the 'project' from start to end-game in the first team squad. Italy would also beckon with both Inter and Milan expected to have new managers this summer, Rafa is fluent in their language.

Perhaps now the wedding has taken place in Mexico we'll get some action. IMO not a good idea to leave it much longer, that smacks of disaster on a large scale. But I'm not holding my breath as the inertia at the top is there for everyone to see.
Nobody at City is going to get the chance of using the academy players. They are going to buy big.

The problem for Rafa in going there is that they are not in the CL and have about 4 players good enough to push for a top 4 side.

Chelsea was different for Mourinho, they had built for a while albeit by debt but they had come 2nd when he came there. Abramovic also took over with them in the CL.

That is where the real interest is, City cannot challenge for the title for 3 or 4 years and I can't believe Rafa would be interested in another project in England that is not Liverpool.

He is also essential for any new owners as he brings CL revenue with him which is key and also has the supporters with him. He is in a strong position at Liverpool and I do think he'll be here next year.

He's seen the back of Parry and IMO will out-last the Yanks.

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #1177 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:05 pm »
I think Rafa would like to stay, but the key to all that is the ownership. If the yanks tell Rafa they arent selling, then he knows he is not going to have the same spending power as the other top 4 sides and maybe even not as much as City and some others, then why stay?

Why not go to City with a blank cheque book and all the power he needs to revamp the club from top to bottom. Yeah he may not get champions league next season but whos to say he wont turn them into a top four club within a season or two? If I was City I would offer Rafa the control over transfers and the youth team development he has asked from Liverpool. Its got to be tempting.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1178 on: March 16, 2009, 10:48:42 pm »
I think Rafa would like to stay, but the key to all that is the ownership. If the yanks tell Rafa they arent selling, then he knows he is not going to have the same spending power as the other top 4 sides and maybe even not as much as City and some others, then why stay?

Why not go to City with a blank cheque book and all the power he needs to revamp the club from top to bottom. Yeah he may not get champions league next season but whos to say he wont turn them into a top four club within a season or two? If I was City I would offer Rafa the control over transfers and the youth team development he has asked from Liverpool. Its got to be tempting.

He'd never in a million years go to Man City - he has put to much time and effort into LFC to just walk away into another English club , no way Jose.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1179 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:26 pm »
He'd never in a million years go to Man City - he has put to much time and effort into LFC to just walk away into another English club , no way Jose.

Correct, he's going nowhere.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1180 on: March 16, 2009, 11:18:02 pm »

but do the yanks have it withing their capacity to remain?
can they repay the loan with the deadline looming?
i think they have to sell, but im no expert...

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: March 17, 2009, 04:16:40 am »
I think that most of you are guilty of a bit of wishful thinking! Chelsea were nowhere near the finished article when Mourinho took over. They had bought some wasters like Veron but the only three players that we there prior to Mourinho that got into his team were Terry, Lampard and Gudjohnsen.  Mourinho demonstrated that given sufficient funds and a decent manager at the helm, you can buy the title in a relatively short period of time.

That should not be in question anymore as it has been done twice already by Mourinho.  And the same people were coming out with the same cr@p before he did it - it'll take them ages-they aren't in the CL etc.

The fact is that if you offer players close to double the wages they would get playing elsewhere, about 75% (conservative estimate) will take the money.  The lifespan of a footballer is fairly short and many of them want to make as much as possible before it's over. 

Hypothetically, lets say that they approach Rafa and offer him 3 times what he's been paid at Liverpool and a 300 million pound budget to go out and buy players, how long do you think it's going to take him before he assembles a team capabable of winning the premiership? I'd say about one year, maybe just one summer.   And, if he fails, he gets a massive pay-off when they sack him.   It would be tempting, especially if he is being messed about by the owners. 

I don't think he'll leave but if he does, it will be an absolute disaster for us.  I can't help but be worried given how clueless the people in charge are about football.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #1182 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:16 am »
I think that most of you are guilty of a bit of wishful thinking! Chelsea were nowhere near the finished article when Mourinho took over. They had bought some wasters like Veron but the only three players that we there prior to Mourinho that got into his team were Terry, Lampard and Gudjohnsen.  Mourinho demonstrated that given sufficient funds and a decent manager at the helm, you can buy the title in a relatively short period of time.

That should not be in question anymore as it has been done twice already by Mourinho.  And the same people were coming out with the same cr@p before he did it - it'll take them ages-they aren't in the CL etc.

The fact is that if you offer players close to double the wages they would get playing elsewhere, about 75% (conservative estimate) will take the money.  The lifespan of a footballer is fairly short and many of them want to make as much as possible before it's over. 

Hypothetically, lets say that they approach Rafa and offer him 3 times what he's been paid at Liverpool and a 300 million pound budget to go out and buy players, how long do you think it's going to take him before he assembles a team capabable of winning the Premier League? I'd say about one year, maybe just one summer.   And, if he fails, he gets a massive pay-off when they sack him.   It would be tempting, especially if he is being messed about by the owners. 

I don't think he'll leave but if he does, it will be an absolute disaster for us.  I can't help but be worried given how clueless the people in charge are about football.

Chelsea built their 1st season prem win on 6 people the three you mentioned + Cech , Robben , Duff. Drogba wasn't pulling up trees in his 1st year.  At the time United were a mess (Ronaldo was a joke with his 25 step-overs followed up by a dive) and Arsenal were an aging team. Take nothing away from Chelsea in their first year, but Mourinho (like Hiddink today) didn't have to do much more than motivate the Chelsea squad to push them on from 2nd and CL 1/4's in 2004 to 1st and CL 1/4's in 2005.
Mourinho with all the money that Ambramovich has spent at Chelsea the only really top draw players that bought was Essien + Ballack (on a free), the rest were Mercenaries who were never top draw in the first place.

City have MUCH further to travel to reach the top-4.
Tell me which team would they replace in the top-4 if Rafa did go to City ? I guess most of us would think that WE would drop out of the top-4 within 2 years of Rafa leaving.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:40:19 am by StormyDog »
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:58 am »
I am not too worried by the City situation.Rafa's European standing is dependent upon his Champions League standing, not in revitalisong Man City and getting them into the Champs League,Madrid is the only  place he would go to.

Ali bellieves that Madrid is an "end of career " job for Benitez, a clever turn of phrase.Having managed Liveerpool AND Real Madrid he may well feel that that is enough. When that happens is open to question.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1184 on: March 17, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
I am not too worried by the City situation.Rafa's European standing is dependent upon his Champions League standing, not in revitalisong Man City and getting them into the Champs League,Madrid is the only  place he would go to.

Ali bellieves that Madrid is an "end of career " job for Benítez, a clever turn of phrase.Having managed Liveerpool AND Real Madrid he may well feel that that is enough. When that happens is open to question.

It's not what I believe, he's said it twice in the last fortnight, on a pre-recorded interview on Sky Sports before the Madrid away leg, I still have it recorded and in his interview with Enrique Ortega that everyone filched last Thursday.

As for City I understand there's a 5 yr contract on the table, his own Agent said there are 3 or 4 clubs making enquiries recently, which you would expect. I'm quite sure he wants to stay, but unless he sees a future for his 'project' and is assured wholeheartedly about that by present/future owners, then until he signs he's up for grabs.
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Stevie07

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1185 on: March 17, 2009, 09:46:54 pm »
I think it's important Rafa is given a new contract soon, otherwise every major game from now until the end of the season will be surrounded by all type of speculation. It would also give Rafa the opportunity to start planning properly for next season (signings etc.). But if the ownership issue isn't going to be sorted unitil July when the banks demand their money back prehaps Rafa won't be prepared to sign anything. I really don't trust Hicks and Gillet to get anything right though so I think we should be prepared for it being dragged out.

Offline travellinscouserinoz

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1186 on: March 17, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »
for any rafa doubters just read this article by Paul Tomkins. top read.......
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2009/mar/16/NG163620090316-1001.htm

how can you argue with that!!!!!!

Offline 1896

• Main Stander
« Reply #1187 on: March 18, 2009, 08:36:11 pm »
Signing a new 5 year contract tomorrow ! GET THE FUCK IN.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2009, 08:59:01 pm »
I think Benítez has integrity.

I don't believe he would make all the demands and then when he gets most of what he wants - walk.

He isn't going to be able to take Torres to Madrid or Gerrard and he will like what he's building here. His stock is very very high now and being the political animal that he is he will use that.

I do think he will stay.
I'm rarely right so will make the most of hit when it finally happens. Best news for a long time if true.

Stability.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #1189 on: March 18, 2009, 09:03:02 pm »
Signing a new 5 year contract tomorrow ! GET THE FUCK IN.
Am I missing something?

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
Am I missing something?
There is another thread where one or two well connected posters have said it's sorted.

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #1191 on: March 18, 2009, 09:15:11 pm »
Woo hoo great news !  ;D

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »
EXCLUSIVE: RAFA SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
Paul Rogers 18 March 2009
   Rafa Benitez has signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, keeping him at the club until 2014.
The Liverpool Manager has extended his current deal, which took him to the end of next season, by a further four years.

"My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Rafa. "I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal. All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

The completion of contract talks with Rafa is the third major boost for Liverpool fans in recent days, coming after fabulous wins against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Manchester United in the Premier League. The 4-1 win at Old Trafford saw Rafa achieve 100 league wins in the third fastest period of time for a Liverpool manager, surpassing Bill Shankly.

Liverpool Co-Chairman Tom Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Co-Chairman George Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Rafa joined The Reds in 2004 following a successful period in charge of Spanish club Valencia, who he guided to two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup success.

While he has been at the helm, Liverpool won the UEFA Champions League in Istanbul in 2005, the FA Cup the following year and reached another Champions League final in Athens in 2007. He has also overseen success in both the UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

The club are currently the number one team in Europe according to UEFA's co-efficient ranking system, based on results over the past five years in European competition.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1193 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
Well we didnt see that coming did we !!!!!!!!!!!!
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline lfc_rhcp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1194 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:22 pm »
need to change the name to rafa's new contract HERE!

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #1195 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:54 pm »
You can close this thread now then! ;D

Great news!!!

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:18 pm »
You can close this thread now then! ;D

Great news!!!

Not before I say "Hallelujah!". :wellin
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #1197 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »
fucking wanky owners

bastards

great news on rafa though

Offline Stevie07

• Anny Roader