Author Topic: This Would Be Better Design  (Read 110618 times)

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
Re: This Would Be Better Design
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

This just makes me laugh! How many balls would we lose if Rob Jones made a shooting comeback?  ;D

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
Same thread, couple of pages ago ...

different stadium mate :) the Lucas Oil is for the Colts and is the old school looking one with brick facade, the Cardinals stadium is ultra modern looking with retractable roof and retractable pitch

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2010, 05:24:50 pm »
different stadium mate :) the Lucas Oil is for the Colts and is the old school looking one with brick facade, the Cardinals stadium is ultra modern looking with retractable roof and retractable pitch

Look closer ... The Lucas Oil Stadium does not have a brick facade, but does have retractable roof ... Yes, it has been built in retro style, but it is a brand new stadium (opened in August 2008) ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:04 pm »
I keep banging the same old drum but an NFL stadium is a different animal to a football ground.  Yes they both have grandstands but the similarities are fairly superficial. The nature of the game and especially it's duration are nothing like a ninety minute match with fifteen minute half time interval. If you want an NFL stadium with a massive Kop that's exactly what the HKS design is.

And that's why it's completely wrong.

The concourses are too big and there are "pitch overlooks" which make sense if you're at an NFL game lasting a few hours and you want to get up during the game and wander out to get a hot dog.

Why just look at NFL stadiums? How about one side like Kempton Park grandstand, the other like the Moubd stand at Lords , the away end like Wimbledon Centre Court ... Oh and a big fuck off Kop.

The best examples for great football grounds... are great football grounds. The Westfalenstadion, San Siro, Camp Nou, a little ground called Anfield maybe?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SamiSamiHyypia

• Kopite
  • Justice For The 96
    • The Homes Of Football
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »
I keep banging the same old drum but an NFL stadium is a different animal to a football ground.  Yes they both have grandstands but the similarities are fairly superficial. The nature of the game and especially it's duration are nothing like a ninety minute match with fifteen minute half time interval. If you want an NFL stadium with a massive Kop that's exactly what the HKS design is.

The concourses are too big and there are "pitch overlooks" which make sense if you're at an NFL game lasting a few hours and you want to get up during the game and wander out to get a hot dog.

Why just look at NFL stadiums? How about one side like Kempton Park grandstand, the other like the Moubd stand at Lords , the away end like Wimbledon Centre Court ... Oh and a big fuck off Kop.

The best examples for great football grounds... are great football grounds. The Westfalenstadion, San Siro, Camp Nou, a little ground called Anfield maybe?

Keep banging the drum Alan, you're talking a lot of sense.

Luckily I think NESV do understand that and are likely to take it into consideration.

When I first saw the HKS designs I was so relieved they weren't for a standard dome that I didn't question them in detail
I can confirm that on this subject at least, there is an almost cultish obsession, which I find quite unnerving.
Cult Of Lucas - Proud Member

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #245 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »

I am aware of the differences between the classic football stadiums and the American football stadiums, Alan ... Still, there are some interesting things that could be learned from the American football stadiums, especially in the era of commercialization of the game ... I know that this sounds like blasphemy, but we are inevitably moving in that direction ...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:56 pm »
I am aware of the differences between the classic football stadiums and the American football stadiums, Alan ... Still, there are some interesting things that could be learned from the American football stadiums, especially in the era of commercialization of the game ... I know that this sounds like blasphemy, but we are inevitably moving in that direction ...

I disagree. There are many ways to improve the income from each game but my point is that the game and the spectator expectations are radically different. I'm doing a review of the HKS plans that MikeD posted a while back - and the HKS ground is a fantastic NFL stadium. It's not a football ground. The people who designed it have no understanding of what it's like to be a regular or occasional match-goer with fifteen minutes in the interval to have a slash and by a pint and some food. There are acres of concourses with pitch overviews (why?) but not enough stairs in the right place or kiosks - especially behind the Kop.

I don't like the Emirates as a ground to watch the game but the food kiosks and and bars are excellent. You go through the turnstiles and there are bogs, food and beer right in front of you.

The time to see how an NFL stadium maximises revenue will be when FIFA introduces timeouts, splits the game into 4 quarters and have a half-time show and stretch a game out for three and a half hours. Then we can have seats sized for the clinically obese, cup-holders in every armrest and free foam fingers with your tickets for the Kop "Experience".

Bottom line in a successful business is to understand your market, your customer, or in our case, the supporters who make the club what it is.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:58 am »
I don't like the Emirates as a ground to watch the game but the food kiosks and and bars are excellent. You go through the turnstiles and there are bogs, food and beer right in front of you.
Agree with that, Wembley is the best example of this! Outstanding ground

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2010, 06:51:25 pm »
I disagree. There are many ways to improve the income from each game but my point is that the game and the spectator expectations are radically different. I'm doing a review of the HKS plans that MikeD posted a while back - and the HKS ground is a fantastic NFL stadium. It's not a football ground. The people who designed it have no understanding of what it's like to be a regular or occasional match-goer with fifteen minutes in the interval to have a slash and by a pint and some food. There are acres of concourses with pitch overviews (why?) but not enough stairs in the right place or kiosks - especially behind the Kop.

The time to see how an NFL stadium maximises revenue will be when FIFA introduces timeouts, splits the game into 4 quarters and have a half-time show and stretch a game out for three and a half hours. Then we can have seats sized for the clinically obese, cup-holders in every armrest and free foam fingers with your tickets for the Kop "Experience".

Bottom line in a successful business is to understand your market, your customer, or in our case, the supporters who make the club what it is.

You have probably noticed that I am very much in favor of using the first AFL plans ... Do you think that these plans, with some improvements like a single-tiered Kop and better corporate hospitality, could be the solution for our new ground ?

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #249 on: November 1, 2010, 08:17:15 am »
I think they could!

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2010, 12:58:28 am »

I am pretty impressed by the design of the new Palmeiras stadium ...

I think that it would be very interesting to incorporate a huge Kop into such a shape ...

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2010, 05:34:57 pm »

That's an interesting point re the concourses. But after reflecting, if you can get supporters in a couple of hours before, and then put on stuff for them after, there's a huge take to be had on food, entertainment, drinks. You can make it a mini city. That's essentially what US teams do and it means they have extra revenue generators.

The old days on the Kop people were there hours in advance to meet up with mates, watch kids teams, have a sing song etc. There's no reason why that can't happen again, all at the ground.

I don't think HKS were far off to be honest, it's a great ground, it's basically a huge new version of Anfield if you look and the stands without the shell. I have real problems with the corners not being filled in at the Kop end, but other than that it's a belter.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »
That's an interesting point re the concourses. But after reflecting, if you can get supporters in a couple of hours before, and then put on stuff for them after, there's a huge take to be had on food, entertainment, drinks. You can make it a mini city. That's essentially what US teams do and it means they have extra revenue generators.

The old days on the Kop people were there hours in advance to meet up with mates, watch kids teams, have a sing song etc. There's no reason why that can't happen again, all at the ground.

I don't think HKS were far off to be honest, it's a great ground, it's basically a huge new version of Anfield if you look and the stands without the shell. I have real problems with the corners not being filled in at the Kop end, but other than that it's a belter.

Not filling in the corners, making the stadium really big and being really generous with space and a massive roof - it’s like watching football in a vast and airy barn (not unlike the Emirates). The power of Anfield is it’s focus, intensity and closeness. Everyone watches every second, rather sitting back looking for their burger and coke with arm rests. It’s armchair footee, not seat of the pants stuff. We want teams to feel the heat.

By all means get people in early and encourage them to leave late. Some people would like that and some prefer the pub (and begrudge stadium prices) and that’s fine but for those on a ‘special day’ it would be a whole day out that contributes to the club.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:47:38 pm by Peter McGurk »

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »
Is it a football or tennis ground we're after?

OK, if you prefer it in red ...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: December 1, 2010, 04:24:56 am »
Is it a football or tennis ground we're after?

Silence please.  Thank you. 

Don't like the look of that "tennis" stadium at all. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #255 on: December 2, 2010, 02:11:45 pm »

Something like this? Maybe the horizontal seating section (as seen in the pic) can be made a little bigger.

http://www.privilegedclub.com/41367-most-expensive-nfl-football-stadium-2/

Offline JWAlonso

• Kopite
« Reply #256 on: December 2, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »

Something like this? Maybe the horizontal seating section (as seen in the pic) can be made a little bigger.

How will that hold 80,000 people then 100,000 people?
"At The End Of The Storm, There Is A Golden Sky"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 2, 2010, 10:50:24 pm »
How will that hold 80,000 people then 100,000 people?

Maybe there's a clue in the title.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: December 3, 2010, 04:14:06 am »

I'm confused by that article.

It's from October, and seems to be talking about the new Dallas Cowboys stadium. But it's written as if it's going to be built in the near future, when that stadium actually opened over a year before that article was written.

Also, that picture is completely unconnected to the article. Even if I didn't know that it looks nothing like the Cowboys Stadium, it looks far too small to ever hold 100,000, and it is also fairly obviously a football stadium, not an NFL stadium.

A little bit of research found that the picture used seems to be an early design of Brighton's Falmer Stadium, which is going to have a capacity of ~25,000. 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7732090.stm
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/javaImages/db/41/0,,10433~8995291,00.jpg

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #259 on: December 3, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
OK, if you prefer it in red ...

Really like the look of this. The noise from the Kop filtering through the rest of the ground
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: December 5, 2010, 02:35:13 am »
I hope someone familiar with North American as well as European stadium design can answer this. I've always been curious...

In America, we have some indoor stadiums as well as retractable roof stadiums. But most only have limited roofs over the stands. Many NFL stadiums do not have roofing at all. Yet, football stadiums in Europe tend to have a rectangular roof that extends quite a bit over the stands and part of the pitch. Does anyone know why there is such a difference in design? If anything, you'd think the opposite situation would be true -- baseball and NFL players look up into the sky far more often than football players, so you'd think they would benefit more from sun-shading designs than footballers.

Re: LFC's future, how much of a roof would you like to ideally see over our pitch? Personally, in order to make it as intimidating as possible, I'd prefer a roof that can trap as much supporter noise as possible. I hope that is a major consideration in the design. Make it as loud as possible.  8)

Anfield

Gillette Stadium

Fenway Park

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #261 on: December 5, 2010, 08:09:02 am »
Would like the roof as low as possible to keep the noise in but without restricting views from the tops of tiers!

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #262 on: December 5, 2010, 08:33:04 am »
Does anyone know why there is such a difference in design? If anything, you'd think the opposite situation would be true -- baseball and NFL players look up into the sky far more often than football players, so you'd think they would benefit more from sun-shading designs than footballers.

Re: LFC's future, how much of a roof would you like to ideally see over our pitch? Personally, in order to make it as intimidating as possible, I'd prefer a roof that can trap as much supporter noise as possible. I hope that is a major consideration in the design. Make it as loud as possible.  8)

You might have just answered your own question?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: December 5, 2010, 02:17:14 pm »
You might have just answered your own question?

No, because NFL and baseball teams have every desire to have loud, intimidating stadiums too. I wonder if it is just a cultural difference -- one continent started building stadiums one way, and another continent went another way? Maybe it's that simple and I'm overthinking it?  ???

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 5, 2010, 03:05:00 pm »
No, because NFL and baseball teams have every desire to have loud, intimidating stadiums too. I wonder if it is just a cultural difference -- one continent started building stadiums one way, and another continent went another way? Maybe it's that simple and I'm overthinking it?  ???

Footy fans are nesh. We need protecting from the cold & the rain...
@ManifoldReasons

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #265 on: December 5, 2010, 09:07:02 pm »

In America, we have some indoor stadiums as well as retractable roof stadiums. But most only have limited roofs over the stands. Many NFL stadiums do not have roofing at all. Yet, football stadiums in Europe tend to have a rectangular roof that extends quite a bit over the stands and part of the pitch. Does anyone know why there is such a difference in design? If anything, you'd think the opposite situation would be true -- baseball and NFL players look up into the sky far more often than football players, so you'd think they would benefit more from sun-shading designs than footballers.

I think it may have something to do with the fact we don't like being pelted with rain and having minus 20 degree winds coming full force at us in the months from November to March  ;)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: December 5, 2010, 09:28:15 pm »
Weather, Comfort and Safety

Although I suspect not by design, the first kop roof was pretty good at funneling sound onto the pitch because it was double pitched with the ridge towards the back and ran continuously around the 'wings'. So it was high at the back and low at the front, like a sound box it had a large volume but a (relatively) small area for the sound to get out.

« Last Edit: December 5, 2010, 09:50:41 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: December 6, 2010, 05:08:02 am »
I think it may have something to do with the fact we don't like being pelted with rain and having minus 20 degree winds coming full force at us in the months from November to March  ;)

So you're saying we Americans are crazy then?  Or stupid? :P  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUa4WgXkOw&feature=related

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: December 6, 2010, 05:10:13 am »

Although I suspect not by design, the first kop roof was pretty good at funneling sound onto the pitch because it was double pitched with the ridge towards the back and ran continuously around the 'wings'. So it was high at the back and low at the front, like a sound box it had a large volume but a (relatively) small area for the sound to get out.

Peter, I just want to thank you for your comments in these stadium threads. I'm learning a lot about Anfield and the potential future changes for LFC.  Your detailed explanations are much appreciated. :)

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #269 on: December 6, 2010, 08:41:47 am »

ha ha yep i'd say you'd hev to be a little crazy to sit in that for the length of an NFL game ;)

Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #270 on: December 6, 2010, 05:59:18 pm »

My thoughts entirely.  The old Kop was ideal for focussing the sound.  High rooves just result in a hollow echoing sound.

On a different note, what is the minimum seating size for seats?  I would pack them as tightly as possible on the Kop to increase capacity.
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

The HKS stadium design attempts to capture the volume from the kop too.

I'm not sure redeveloping anfield will be something the planners would accept to be honest
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Michaelanscombe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:39 am »

This is Brightons new stadium. It's about a mile from me.  It looks good but it's certainly not the sort of stadium i would want liverpool to be playing in.  At best a championship standard. One thing it does have though which i beleive is unique in this country is the roof on the away end changes colour to suit the away teams colours.
Suarez is not a Racist

Offline JACKO_LFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »
I am in mixed opinions of the stadium. The teams in the premier league with big stadiums e.g man city, arsenal, m** *****d, despite them all being good stadiums, whats the atmosphere like? TERRIBLE! I just hope our unique atmosphere wouldn't go with us switching new stadium!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
The problem for the other clubs is money cannot buy fans like ours, and trust me Chelsea have tried.

Ours are here to stay and will do so no matter what stadium we are in.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »

:D

But if you look at that you will see that the stadium is half empty. That is what we'd have if we had no roof in the winter and you can't survive with half empty stadiums.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2010, 06:23:09 am »
I like that red stadium.

I would also recommend some Liverbird gargoyles, like the Chrysler Building's eagles.
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: December 24, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »
The HKS stadium design attempts to capture the volume from the kop too.

It says it does but I don't think it would.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 5, 2011, 12:39:41 am »
I like that red stadium.

I would also recommend some Liverbird gargoyles, like the Chrysler Building's eagles.

On top of 4 old fashioned pylon style floodlights with their wings at full stretch to provide cover for the corners.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #279 on: January 5, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »
It says it does but I don't think it would.
It wouldnt sound right i dont think