Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 604720 times)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #3160 on: March 30, 2018, 03:46:16 pm »
Went to Greek Taverna in maghull like weekend, massively impressed. Decent prices, huge portions and lovely staff as well. The meat was so fresh and fell off the bone.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3161 on: March 30, 2018, 06:22:41 pm »
Went to Othellos in Gateacre Park Drive for a birthday do last night and we all thought it was very good. Went to the Cookhouse (former English Rose) for all you cat eat breakfast and unlimited tea/coffee in the morning and was OK for what you pay, £5.99 breakfast and £1.99 unlimited drinks.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #3162 on: March 31, 2018, 03:09:57 pm »
Anyone been to Grilla recently? Looking at going next week

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3163 on: March 31, 2018, 06:10:22 pm »
Sanskruti, best Indian restaurant in the city, bar none. Yukti and Remora exceptional, but this, this is something special.
Don't tell everyone went last tuesday and it was packed, used to have the place to myself but have to start booking at this rate ;) . Starters are spot on bar the fake meat kebabs.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3164 on: April 8, 2018, 01:02:19 am »
Sanskruti, best Indian restaurant in the city, bar none. Yukti and Remora exceptional, but this, this is something special.

Ta for the heads up - hadn’t been near the place since it was a Greek restaurant years ago.

Had an outstanding meal there tonight - really exceptional. Don’t normally go for all vegetarian places like this, but might have to revise my thinking after tonight.

Everything we tried was tasty, well spiced and freshly made. And and at about £30 a head for 3 courses and a couple or 3 drinks, very competitively priced too.

Great place, and have already booked our next visit.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3165 on: April 12, 2018, 07:49:36 am »

Great shout, went last night, hadn't heard anything about it other than on here and was really impressed!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3166 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:11 am »
RAWK needs to be on commission for that place  ;D

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #3167 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:53 pm »
Really enjoyed Maray on Sunday evening, think we were fortunate as it was quite quiet. The waitress was really lovely and the food was brilliant. Some really cracking flavours on the dishes. Small plates tapas kind of thing. Had 5 dishes between two. Started with the 'Berber Bowl' which had a rich confit garlic. The other dish which stood out was the cauliflower which was really flavoursome and complimented well with pommegrante seeds and harissa. Brilliant mix. Just rounded off a really nice weekend.

I think it stood out after our last Bold Street visit, which was the Italian Club, which wasn't that great for us. If it's always as good as it was yesterday, then I'd highly recommend. I'll definitely be going back as I'm actually curious and a little excited to try the rest of the menu.

Got Sanskruti to look forward to on Friday. I love Indian food and I've heard good things, so should be good!
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline stefbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #3168 on: April 17, 2018, 03:11:16 pm »
Any suggestions for a good pizza restaurant in town, obviously nothing like Pizza Hut or Domino's  ;D

You can find the best pizza in town at Crust in Bold st or Little furnace on smithdown rd

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3169 on: April 20, 2018, 11:10:22 am »
Don’t normally go for all vegetarian places like this,

Wait. What?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3170 on: April 22, 2018, 12:50:15 pm »
Spire again last night.

The standards in there as high as ever - boss place, definitely one of the best restaurants in the city, and has been for many years.

Off to Roski for the first time in a couple of weeks for their 7 course dinner menu - really looking forward to it.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3171 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:30 am »
Is sanskruti better than the Holdi? My kids will need some persuading but it sounds like we need to check it out.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3172 on: April 24, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »
Not a restaurant, but had an enjoyable few hours in the Baltic Market on Saturday.

Decent beers and a couple of gins, had some haloumi fries, salt and pepper chicken, chips , Katsu curry and a pizza between 3 of us. All good.

Nice and relaxed on a lovely warm day.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3173 on: April 24, 2018, 12:50:40 pm »
Not a restaurant, but had an enjoyable few hours in the Baltic Market on Saturday.

Decent beers and a couple of gins, had some haloumi fries, salt and pepper chicken, chips , Katsu curry and a pizza between 3 of us. All good.

Nice and relaxed on a lovely warm day.

Did you have to remortgage your house for all that?  ;D

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3174 on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:41 pm »
I see the Gulshan is gone and becoming a Turkish BBQ restaurant. Always liked the Gulshan but got to admit I love good Turkish food too, hopefully it’s good.
Its still there on the floor above. The Turkish restaurant is the ground floor only.

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3175 on: April 24, 2018, 01:51:02 pm »
Did you have to remortgage your house for all that?  ;D

;D ;D. Not quite, glad it was split 3 ways though

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3176 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:37 pm »
Its still there on the floor above. The Turkish restaurant is the ground floor only.

Really, thought I read the Gulshan was gone?

Actually here it is, says it’s “defunct” https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/turkish-bbq-restaurant-anar-opening-14549021

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #3177 on: April 29, 2018, 02:51:37 pm »
Is sanskruti better than the Holdi? My kids will need some persuading but it sounds like we need to check it out.

My friend raves over Sanskruti, but I wasn't overly impressed with it (maybe my expectations were too high). I prefer Mowgli, I've not been to Holdi to compare. The garlic naan breads are pretty cool (they're massive) and the kebab skewers come out sizzling and that sounds great. Pickle tray was nice. My main wasn't that great (jaipur curry). Still decent and would go back, but not one I'd go mad over personally.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3178 on: April 30, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
Really, thought I read the Gulshan was gone?

Actually here it is, says it’s “defunct” https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/turkish-bbq-restaurant-anar-opening-14549021
News to me as I was in there a few weeks ago!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3179 on: April 30, 2018, 04:57:35 pm »
My friend raves over Sanskruti, but I wasn't overly impressed with it (maybe my expectations were too high). I prefer Mowgli, I've not been to Holdi to compare. The garlic naan breads are pretty cool (they're massive) and the kebab skewers come out sizzling and that sounds great. Pickle tray was nice. My main wasn't that great (jaipur curry). Still decent and would go back, but not one I'd go mad over personally.
Thought the starters and street food brilliant thought the mains less so but still decent
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3180 on: April 30, 2018, 10:01:03 pm »
Tried the newish Yukti on Renshaw street the other week, really enjoyed it. Certainly made an effort in presenting the food.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3181 on: April 30, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »
Me and the fella had some good news to celebrate so we went (Bold Street) Mowgli again on Saturday night. Turned up at about ten to seven on the off-chance, would’ve been earlier but I didn’t get out of work until half five, was told they’d put us down on the waiting list for 20:40. Sound. Went off and had some drinks, came back and it was probably the best Mowgli I’ve had yet. The Himalayan Cheese Toast - which admittedly last time I found somewhat lacking a bit on the cheese front - was the best yet. They need to start selling that red pickle that comes with it in jars because fuck me, I’d buy it and buy it some more.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3182 on: May 7, 2018, 08:59:40 am »
Had a stroll down to the childwall abbey early Saturday evening and ended up having there may/ june promotion , doing two burgers and fries with two drinks for £15 , the burgers were well stacked and very good served with fires and two gin n tonics was good value for £15 .

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3183 on: May 7, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »
Highly recommended.

Had a really enjoyable meal at Roski on Saturday night.

Would echo an awful lot of what was said in the original review above.

Food overall was fantastic, particularly the Wagyu beef dish, and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed.

Overall experience was much better than Art School, but I'd put it some way behind Moor Hall and Fraiche - they are just far more slickly run, and the food is at a slightly higher level in those 2 places at the moment.

Plus Points:

Food was great
Staff really nice, if a little inexperienced
Ambience is really good

Negatives:

No wine flight available [the supplier had let them down]

No amuse bouches at all - you just had what was on the menu

Ordered his speciality carrot dish [£10 supplement], and had an interesting and informative conversation about it with our [otherwise excellent] waiter. Unfortunately the course simply didn't arrive. We weren't charged for it or anything, but you don't normally have that sort of thing happen at a Michelin level restaurant.

They rang us a couple of days before to confirm the booking, and asked if we were celebrating anything [we were]. They very kindly said they'd do something nice for us on the night, but that never materialised either. It was like we'd never had the conversation.

Given the above, a bill approaching £300 for two is definitely Michelin type pricing, and was, we felt, probably 50% higher than the whole experience warranted overall.

All first world problems, and stuff which can hopefully be sorted out quickly with a little bit more experience/organisation. Certainly wouldn't stop me going there again, and I really hope this place thrives, as its a great addition to the dining scene in the city.

Highly recommended, but if i was going to spend that much on a meal again, Roski would be my third option at the moment, behind Moor Hall and then Fraiche.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3184 on: May 8, 2018, 11:29:02 am »
Worth knowing, thanks for posting, I was looking to go next time I'm up
Really annoys me when they charge attention to detail prices but don't deliver.

A dish not arriving is a fairly pathetic level of service - especially given that you actually had a conversation about it. Also saying they would do something special and not delivering is a similar type of oversight - best to say nothing.

Did you say anything to the owners? If it were my place and that was happening, I'd want to know about it. Sounds like staff are letting him down there.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3185 on: May 8, 2018, 04:22:20 pm »
No probs mate, glad you found it helpful.

No, I didn't say anything on the night, for a few reasons.

For a restaurant aiming to be at the level that Roski is striving for, the staff are really quite young, and seemingly a bit inexperienced. You're bound to get a few issues cropping up when that happens, and it really wasn't the end of the world when an 8th course failed to arrive, when we'd eaten so well, and been looked after all night.

The amuse bouche thing was weird though - always got extra bits and bobs at every high end restaurant we've been too. Given that we were all on the same menu [he only does the 7 course taster on a Saturday], that should make the kitchen's life easier, and free up some time for a couple of bonus plates.

Also, the lack of a sommelier left them with no wine flight, which again is weird because even if the supplier lets you down [again, something that's never happened to us at any other comparable place] he can come up with an alternative from the other bottles in your cellar.

Those last 2 issues are down to the owner himself, and it could be that he's simply trying to control staff costs while he gets the restaurants reputation for food up where he wants it.

So, its definitely overpriced at the moment, but hopefully for the dining scene in the city they'll get where they want to be sooner rather than later, and we'd be back there again, no problem.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #3186 on: May 12, 2018, 09:19:02 am »
Looks like people are having similar experiences with Roski. The thing is their hearts are in the right place but it's definitely going to need a bona fide Michelin-level restaurant manager if they're going for a star. It seems to be an organisational/cost problem as much as anything. Yes the staff are inexperienced (and I haven't got an issue with that as long as they have got the basics and are amiable), but if you are going to go down that road you need a rock star maitre d' to hold it all together rather than just your girlfriend, no matter how much you really, really love and trust her.

The lack of wine flight shows this up perfectly - was there really nobody else in front of house who could give a passing impersonation of a sommelier to match wines with the food? Or did they really just not have enough of the specific wines that they decided were the only possible matches from the whole of their cellar? As you say, it just doesn't make any sense because anyone with any knowledge wouldn't be so rigid that only a certain wine could go with a certain course. Good sommeliers are usually flexible and reactive to the punter anyway (or at least make you feel like they are) so it just doesn't add up one way or another.

The missing amuse bouches is very odd as we had at least 3 or 4 throughout the evening if memory serves, and forgetting the carrot dish altogether moves the situation from pickiness to just plain poor service, but I get what you're saying that you don't feel you missed out too much in the context of the evening.

I just hope that 'a supplier letting them down' isn't code for something more worrying as the food and enthusiasm is an asset to the city's dining scene. In terms of a star though they sorely need someone to bring the front of house together before they can get anywhere close.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3187 on: June 11, 2018, 11:52:01 am »
Would recommend, decent prices as well
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3188 on: June 17, 2018, 10:58:40 pm »
Not a specific restaurant but when the Baltic Market isn't packed and you can get a seat then it can be a really good place to eat. With the weather being as good as it is, sitting outside with a pint and some fried chicken and duck fries is so good.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3189 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:09 pm »
Come ed Rawkites - over a month since any updates; you cant all be staying in.

60 Hope St for the first time in a long time the other week.

Really good - great atmosphere, great service and great food. Nice to see its still has such high standards.

Been back to George's Kitchen - still very nice food at reasonable prices, we were actually a bit worried when we walked in - every time we've been in the past its been chocker, but last Friday at about 8pm we walked in and it was half empty. No idea why, the food was as good as ever.

Really disappointed with Host the other week - bland food, no atmosphere and comfortably the worst experience we've had there. Wont be going back in a hurry.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3190 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:45 pm »
Anyone visited Bread & Butter yet?  Opened ten days ago on Hope Street, replacing The Clove Hitch (a sad loss, it has to be said).

The menu looks decent (https://breadandbutterliverpool.co.uk/menu) - indeed, with standardised prices - even to this vegetarian's eye.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3191 on: August 1, 2018, 08:02:51 am »
Went to Marco Pierre Whites for a Sunday roast couple of weeks back and it was spot on

Brought a veggie friend of mine to 'Down the hatch' on Duke street and we were pretty impressed, Stufed after though, just cos its veggie doesn't mean you can't make a pig of yourself

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3192 on: August 1, 2018, 04:46:23 pm »
Anyone been that Greek taverna on South road? Know it's a bit out the way like. There's one on bold street not long opened I think n all

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3193 on: August 1, 2018, 09:05:16 pm »
Went to Marco Pierre Whites for a Sunday roast couple of weeks back and it was spot on

Brought a veggie friend of mine to 'Down the hatch' on Duke street and we were pretty impressed, Stufed after though, just cos its veggie doesn't mean you can't make a pig of yourself

Love the sunday roasts at the Anglican cathedral , sitting outside under the huge arch looking towards gambier terrace , though they only do pork !

And on the subject of Sunday roasts went to Maray on Allerton Road for a roast , been there a few times and always spot on for the main menu . Ordered three meat roasts and two vegan roasts . The place was pretty full and after thirty minutes they came over apologised for the wait and asked us to have a complimentary round of drinks . Waited another 20 minutes and finally the food arrived which was superb .

Without any complaint or prompting  the manager came over and apologised for the wait and said he and the kitchen felt it was unacceptable for us having to wait 50 minutes even if it was full . He said he
did not feel comfortable us paying for any of the food and insisted that he would not accept any payment for it .
« Last Edit: August 1, 2018, 09:14:26 pm by gazzam1963 »

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3194 on: August 3, 2018, 11:07:27 am »
Breakfast at The Tavern on Smithdown.

Heuvos Rancheros with black pudding is a great start to the day.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3195 on: August 4, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »
Anyone been that Greek taverna on South road? Know it's a bit out the way like. There's one on bold street not long opened I think n all

Went to the Bold Street one last week - thought it was really good and great portion sizes - myself and a girl I am dating shared hummus and Calimari then she had lamb and I had chicken kebab but they give you chips and salad too. We got the early bird menu at 6 pm so it was a great price - think it came to about 15 each.

Also went to The Florist this week, used to be Old Blind School, the lavender bread with whipped goats cheese starter is absolutely immense. Not cheap in there though!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3196 on: August 4, 2018, 08:24:11 pm »
Went to the Bold Street one last week - thought it was really good and great portion sizes - myself and a girl I am dating shared hummus and Calimari then she had lamb and I had chicken kebab but they give you chips and salad too. We got the early bird menu at 6 pm so it was a great price - think it came to about 15 each.

Also went to The Florist this week, used to be Old Blind School, the lavender bread with whipped goats cheese starter is absolutely immense. Not cheap in there though!

Thanks for the response mate

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3197 on: August 16, 2018, 07:17:09 pm »

Sounds good that. Another one to add to the (very long) list.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3198 on: September 13, 2018, 04:43:09 pm »
Looking for a good Chinese in the city, any recommendations? Don’t mind paying and am definitely not in to any buffet style places.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3199 on: September 13, 2018, 05:03:02 pm »
Looking for a good Chinese in the city, any recommendations? Don’t mind paying and am definitely not in to any buffet style places.

Lee Dynasty on Aigburth Vale. They have a menu, but also do a set price which is similar to a buffet but they give you a list of the available dishes and you choose what you want and it's cooked to your order. Had a big family meal there last week and everyone loved it.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John