Author Topic: Hicks - "We lined up Klinsmann"  (Read 106901 times)

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hick we lined up Klinsmann
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2008, 11:38:51 am »
This sounds a little better...

Oh just a little?
This stuff goes on ALL the time. 
Players are tapped up.  Managers are sounded out (Rafa himself around April 04...lest ye forget).
The only difference here is him going public.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline FranklyRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly a Red since Kennedy's goal Paris 1981...
« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:11 am »
.. you could see it also like that Hicks wants to save some $$$

because as Rafa decides to leave himself G+H spare themselves quite some $$$ then when they have to fire him!

... but could a takeover from DIC save Rafa's future at Liverpool??? In the press Mourinho is lined up but that is already squashed by his agent and do not think it is a reality either...

WORST is now.. that we as supporters cannot expect an improvement in play or results as players and manager will be even more down now...  also looking at Hyypia's interview where he admits that they are really suffering from all press, saga, etc.
....  what we already knew really...

For the benefit of Liverpool FC ... my opinion is that a takeover by DIC is the best solution now... as those 2 American clowns cannot do any good anymore for the fans for quite a while!
"La ocasión hay que crearla, no esperar a que llegue"

Offline jaykl

• Main Stander

Offline BHB

• I'm the (new) Daddy, and a little bit hormonal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:16 am »
perhaps the RTK can organise somethign for tomorrow night?

It's being discussed.

A Son of Shankly

Offline Sissoko78

• Anny Roader
  • Pressing is the first step in attacking, no?
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:02 am »
Just the direct quotes make for interesting reading:

“In November, when it appeared we were in danger of not advancing in the Champions League, weren’t playing well in our Premier League matches, and Rafa and we were having communication issues over the January transfer window, George and I met with Jurgen Klinsmann to learn as much as we could about English and European football.

“He is a very impressive man. We attempted to negotiate an option, as an insurance policy, to have him become our manager in the event Rafa decided to leave our club for Real Madrid or other clubs that were rumoured in the UK press, or in case our communication spiralled out of control for some reason.”

“After George and I had our long and productive meeting with Rafa following the Man United match, we put all of our issues behind us and received Rafa's commitment that he wanted to stay with Liverpool.

“We never reached agreement on an option with Jurgen, and we are both pleased for him that he has a great opportunity to return to Germany and coach a great club team.

“Rafa has both of our support, and our communication has greatly improved.

“Foster, Rick Parry and Rafa now have regular meetings at Melwood on Monday mornings.

“The two families always try to have a telephonic meeting on Monday afternoons, so we all are on the same page. We all want to win more games.”

At least he has actually expressed his support for Rafa.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:05 am »
sounds a bit better now we know this all happened in the height of the fall out but why on earth did he have to reveal all this now if it happened nearly 3 months ago!!

the fella is either completely clueless or he's just trying to let rafa and all of us know who's in charge

Offline leccyred

• Kopite
  • Luis Garcia - a Red through and through
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:32 am »
Honestly cannot believe what I've just read. I have never, in all my years of supporting this club and watching football in general, seen an owner come out and say they approached another manager as a 'contingency plan' while still having another man in charge.

Absolutely shocking.

How can anybody be this stupid? The honest answer is that I don't think they can. The simple truth is that Hicks is doing his best to make Rafa's position untenable. I've said before that these two clueless fucks don't want to SACK Rafa, they want him to walk. That way they think they will save face with the fans. This is just another step along that road.

And of course these past few weeks there have been plenty of so called fans sending them the message that, in their childish impatience,  it would be acceptable to them if Rafa was to walk. They might be clueless about football but they aren;t clueless about customers and they will have correctly read that the loyalty towards the manager, that has been a hallmark of Liverpool Football Club for decades has been holed beneath the waterline by impatience on the part of some fans. Like Sami said, reading some of the threads around the place we ARE becoming like Newcastle. Stupid they aren't and they will have spent their time in charge so far weighing up the solidarity of the fans, which it has to be said is not great at the moment. Spread the net to include customers and they will have correctly identified that a substantial number if asked in a few seasons time would answer "Rafa who?" provided they were sitting in a nice new stadium.

If it wouldn't draw the wrong sort of attention and make us look like pricks then I'd like to see some G+H OUT banners, but sadly I think it'll make us look like a League Two side if we start doing that.

Or like Newcastle.

Clearly though, this situation is getting worse by the day. It's now definite in my eyes that the day we sold the club to these two idiots was the 2nd worse day in the club's history.

It was certainly a black day in the history of the club. Still so many welcomed it. There were loads who were rubbing their hands at the big investment, at the new stadium, at all the so far empty promises.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:47 am »
We know he sounded out Klinsman.  He knows we know.  He's explained his reasoning.  His explanation pretty much tallies with what we though before he confirmed it.
Ergo.  This is nothing new.
No, we now KNOW that Hicks and/or Gillett believe that someone of the level and experience of  Klinsman is qualified and right to take over at Liverpool.

That scares me.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:55 am »
What staggers me is that surely part of Coco's job is to advise the yanks what goes in football and what doesn't. Surely he should have advised Tom Hicks not to go public with this after what happened at Spurs.

Yet again he has fucked up. I think he's just a yes man.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline AdoptedScouse

• Anny Roader
  • With the King in charge, the world is ours...
Re: Hicks - "We lined up Klinsmann"
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2008, 11:41:00 am »
Some people think they're bigger than the club, bigger than anyone at the club. They are wrong.

Some people will always walk alone, some people will never walk alone.

Offline Sissoko78

• Anny Roader
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:09 am »
This is fucking unbelieveable but i think the article has calmed me down. we know now why the links with klinsmann, but im worried the media will as per usual blow it out of porportation.

More importantly, we now know the timing of the Klinsmann link. 

That means H&G and Rafa may have genuinely made their peace, and the press may merely be running off sources who aren't the full bottle on the issue.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:43:46 am by Sissoko78 »

Offline AdoptedScouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:20 am »
Straight to the point, i like it ;D

it did make me giggle
Some people think they're bigger than the club, bigger than anyone at the club. They are wrong.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:33 am »
This is fucking unbelieveable but i think the article has calmed me down. we know now why the links with klinsmann, but im worried the media will as per usual blow it out of porportation.

Yeah. Same here.

The whole thing seems to have occured in November, at the peak (hopefully!) of the storm.

It seems Rafa might have at least till the end of the season.

By then, any number of  things could happen: We could win or reach the final of one or more cups, we could go on a good run in the league, DIC could buy a stake , etc.

Optimism is returning.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:44 am »
Look mate, fuck off. Houllier had more time, more money, and less success than Rafa. Compared to Rafa, Houllier's treatment was like fucking royalty, while Rafa has been repeatedly shat on. You don't agree with Rafa's methods, fine. But you seem to be thrilled by the fact that Rafa might walk, rather than pissed off like the rest of us at the disrespectful way Hicks thinks its fine to run this club.

Get your fucking priorities sorted mate.

The board also did nothing to undermine Houllier in public even when a decision had correctly been made to replace him.

In this case they're trying to get rid of a manager for non footballing reasons, and have happily been undermining him ever since the initial disagreement.

So, yes as you say its just a bit different

Offline AdoptedScouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:57 am »
More importantly, we know the timing of the Klinsmann link. 

That means H&G and Rafa may have genuinely made their peace, and the press may merely be running off sources who aren't the full bottle on the issue.

Its very very possible that these comments are only now being used against rafa, these could have been said weeks ago. Who knows?

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:05 am »
You happy with the current situation then? Not alarmed at all? Quite happy with how everything is panning out this season? Do you think owners admitting going behind the manager's back is a really healthy and stable way of running a football club?

I suggest you go upstairs and put a dress on like the rest of us, there are times when it is right to panic..
Happy with the current situation?  No.
Happy with how things are panning out this season?  No.
Do I think Hicks blabbing this in public is good?  No.

That doesn't mean it's time to panic like little children because of this statement.

Do any of you think that Rafa DIDN'T know all this anyway?

Jesus..."club sounded out other managers after problems with current manager" - shocker that eh?  It would have been more surprising if they hadn't.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline cruyff73

• Anny Roader
  • Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:08 am »

Offline jaykl

• Main Stander
« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:18 am »
someone tell me why he couldnt just have said "after the meeting all was sorted and he has our full support" blah blah blah.

Why the fuck bring up Klinsmann. If he thought this would end speculation in the press he's a bigger fuckin tit than i thought.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:19 am »
Insurance my fuckin arse you lying pair of ruthless bastards do you thjink that we are that stupid?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:35 am »
Just the direct quotes make for interesting reading:

“In November, when it appeared we were in danger of not advancing in the Champions League, weren’t playing well in our Premier League matches, and Rafa and we were having communication issues over the January transfer window, George and I met with Jurgen Klinsmann to learn as much as we could about English and European football.

“He is a very impressive man. We attempted to negotiate an option, as an insurance policy, to have him become our manager in the event Rafa decided to leave our club for Real Madrid or other clubs that were rumoured in the UK press, or in case our communication spiralled out of control for some reason.”

“After George and I had our long and productive meeting with Rafa following the Man United match, we put all of our issues behind us and received Rafa's commitment that he wanted to stay with Liverpool.

“We never reached agreement on an option with Jurgen, and we are both pleased for him that he has a great opportunity to return to Germany and coach a great club team.

“Rafa has both of our support, and our communication has greatly improved.

“Foster, Rick Parry and Rafa now have regular meetings at Melwood on Monday mornings.

“The two families always try to have a telephonic meeting on Monday afternoons, so we all are on the same page. We all want to win more games.”

Makes me fill just a bit better.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:41 am »
Anyway its reached the stage now where we should be doing anything we can to get these c*nts out before they do anymore damage.

THIS is how serious it is. Filo has called the owners 'c*nts'. I have fond memories from the .tv messageboards of Filo being the calming, soothing voice of reason. Like Gandalf he was! But when I see this mild-mannered fella calling the owners 'c*nts' I know it's reached boiling point. And I agree entirely.

;D
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:44 am »
Gob smacked by the arrogance of the twats, they just love to twist the knife in these two, don't they!

To us and Rafa!

Our club is run by Idiots!
Justice for the 96.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:48 am »
yep. time is right to worry.

its football. nothing like this has ever happened to us before, so soon after a take over. when you win a european cup, a FA cup and almost a 2nd european cup, you should at least have time to win it again. Gillette and Hicks have no right to change the management after just 8 months in charge (or however long it has been)

these two are supposed to be billionnaires. why not just use your own money? its the safest way to trade. of course if they have any liquid assets.

i think it is time for a protest!
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:20 am »
It's about time that the club issued a statement about this mess. As we're getting is comments to the press and it's doing nothing but harm.

Something along the lines of "We want Rafa to see out his current contract and we intend to offer him an extended contract in the next couple of months. We realise that Rome wasn't built in a day and we believe that Rafa is the best man to build a team which will remain at the top of English football for years to come."
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:23 am »
Somebody just started another thread suggesting we start a petition to let G&H know how we feel. The mods deleted it. Fair enough. But how are we supposed to let these two American gentlemen know we are pretty miffed with their shenanigans. All ideas gratefully accepted.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
To be fair it was before they had the "talk".  Now the media is just reporting something that happened before and has been "resolve". 
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:33 am »
sky are playing it down more than on here......

never thought i would say that

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:36 am »
Just saw it on BBC... now we're fucked.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline Sissoko78

• Anny Roader
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:51 am »

Its very very possible that these comments are only now being used against rafa, these could have been said weeks ago. Who knows?

Also true

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:28 am »
Makes me fill just a bit better.

Same here, in regards to Rafa.

What doesn't feel better is that they've spoken to another manager about Rafa's job. Maybe it makes sense to have someone ready to take over, maybe that's the right thing to do.

Why Klinsmann was ever in the race, I'll never know.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:53 am »

Until we get another couple of poor results and Allardyce could be in the frame.

This is no way to run a club.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline jaykl

• Main Stander
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:55 am »
Happy with the current situation?  No.
Happy with how things are panning out this season?  No.
Do I think Hicks blabbing this in public is good?  No.

That doesn't mean it's time to panic like little children because of this statement.

Do any of you think that Rafa DIDN'T know all this anyway?

Jesus..."club sounded out other managers after problems with current manager" - shocker that eh?  It would have been more surprising if they hadn't.

mate your missing the fuckin point. Since when do fuckin owners admit in the press that they approached another manager when their current manager is still fuckin in charge??

And fuck off with your "...time to panic like little children" comment. Patronising c*nt.

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:17 am »
sky are playing it down more than on here......

never thought i would say that

Maybe it's just a sensible thing for them to have done.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:32 am »
THIS is how serious it is. Filo has called the owners 'c*nts'. I have fond memories from the .tv messageboards of Filo being the calming, soothing voice of reason. Like Gandalf he was! But when I see this mild-mannered fella calling the owners 'c*nts' I know it's reached boiling point. And I agree entirely.

;D

Obviously missed the part where Gandalf goes nuts later on ;D
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:45 am »
thinking about it id be surprised if rafa didnt know all this already to be honest

Offline Tommy316

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop.
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:49 am »
Fucking pair of twats! I swear to god they won't know what's hit them if they drive Benitez out of this club.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2008, 11:47:41 am »
whats the source for the full quote transcript of Hicks' revelation?

because he did actually quote support for rafa....
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Sissoko78

• Anny Roader
« Reply #399 on: January 14, 2008, 11:47:44 am »
Until we get another couple of poor results and Allardyce could be in the frame.

This is no way to run a club.

Agreed, but it's better than it first appeared, i.e. details about Klinsmann with no clarification about support for Rafa.