Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 155192 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #1160 on: January 26, 2023, 12:26:43 pm »
^ good user name for lamb fajitas  ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1161 on: January 26, 2023, 01:40:53 pm »
Just discovered slow cookers.

What incredible things.

Chuck in raw ingredients, then hours later its cooked and ready.

So far just done chicken taco type meat, but I love the concept.

I’ve got a slow cooker and an instant pot, and both are fantastic for all sorts of ‘stick it in and leave it’ type deals  ;D

My current favourite slow cooker recipe is beef barbacoa:

around 2, 3 or 4lbs of beef (something like stewing beef that needs a lot of cooking, or over here in the US - chuck roast!) cut into big chunks.
A bit of cooking oil if you want to brown it first.

Seasoning mix:
salt and black pepper
teaspoon of oregano
teaspoon of ground cumin
a pinch ground cloves
2 bay leaves
a few garlic cloves (minced)
2 chipotle peppers, cut up very fine or minced - not sure if that’s what they are called in the UK though.
A spoonful of adobo sauce - this is the sauce from the can of chipotle peppers, and it and the peppers are SPICY, so adjust to taste.
A small onion - diced
Half a cup water (or broth or beer)

You can brown the beef if you want, or just fling it in. Add the seasonings and the rest of the ingredients, pouring the water/beer/broth around the beef.

Cook on low for about 8 hours. When done, beef should shred easily. After shredding the beef, put it back in the liquid.

This stuff is great for making tacos or burritos, or just searve it with rice, and if you want to Mexican it up even more, get some refried beans and serve it with them too!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1162 on: January 26, 2023, 02:28:37 pm »
Exactly. I always thought you had to brown the meat first. Then I watch youtube videos of people chucking in totally raw meat next to veggies and things. Its so totally simple and after about 4 hours or so, yes it does start to smell lovely.

Browning the meat does tend to add flavour and texture of things like beef. If using mince, it stops clumping too.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1163 on: January 26, 2023, 02:30:30 pm »
I’ve got a slow cooker and an instant pot, and both are fantastic for all sorts of ‘stick it in and leave it’ type deals  ;D

My current favourite slow cooker recipe is beef barbacoa:

around 2, 3 or 4lbs of beef (something like stewing beef that needs a lot of cooking, or over here in the US - chuck roast!) cut into big chunks.
A bit of cooking oil if you want to brown it first.

Cook on low for about 8 hours. When done, beef should shred easily. After shredding the beef, put it back in the liquid.

This stuff is great for making tacos or burritos, or just searve it with rice, and if you want to Mexican it up even more, get some refried beans and serve it with them too!

Gonna try this, as I want a good mexican night soon. Something I would add, to warm them up, dip the tortilla's in the juice and then heat them in a pan (so they aren't soggy still).
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1164 on: January 26, 2023, 08:06:19 pm »
Crispy fried tofu bau buns with pickled cucumber

1. Use a peeler to peel strips of cucumber into white wine vinegar with a pinch of salt and sugar.  Leave to cure for a few minutes.

2. Get firm tofu.  Press with towel to remove water.  Cut into 2cm cubes

3. Prepare batter.  6 spoons of corn flour, 3 of oil and 3 of soy. Mix until you get a thickish batter (still runny though).

4. Heat a pan with some vegetable oil to medium high heat.  Toss the tofu inthe batter until it is coated, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Transfer to pan, a minute or two on each side until it goes crispy.

5. Zap bau buns in microwave for a minute

6. Put chopped spring onion, coriander, and your pickled cucumber in the buns, add the crispy tofu. Drizzle with sweet chilli sauce.

7 a squeeze of lime juice.

Wallop. Done.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1165 on: January 26, 2023, 08:10:16 pm »
I have a slow cooker, but like a good stew, it's always better eating it the next day, & casseroles are good for cooking in the slow cooker rather than the oven too.
#Sausages

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: January 27, 2023, 04:28:51 pm »
Gonna try this, as I want a good mexican night soon. Something I would add, to warm them up, dip the tortilla's in the juice and then heat them in a pan (so they aren't soggy still).

good tip! I will do that next time I make the barbacoa.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: January 27, 2023, 11:56:51 pm »

Have you tried thermal cooking? I have a shuttle chef that I use for stews. I throw everything together in the pot and heat on the stove until it boils. I leave it to boil for a minute or so, then move the inner pot into the outer pot and forget about it for a few hours. Around 3-4 hours later, the stew is done. Not quite as good as the instant pot, but it takes less than 10 minutes of stovetop heating to cook something that lasts me for a few days.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: January 30, 2023, 02:20:06 pm »
Have you tried thermal cooking? I have a shuttle chef that I use for stews. I throw everything together in the pot and heat on the stove until it boils. I leave it to boil for a minute or so, then move the inner pot into the outer pot and forget about it for a few hours. Around 3-4 hours later, the stew is done. Not quite as good as the instant pot, but it takes less than 10 minutes of stovetop heating to cook something that lasts me for a few days.

I have not! Wasn’t even aware of it, sounds interesting!  I’m going to check it out.

In a far more basic way, the way you can get dried beans ready for using without pre-soaking is similar. Bring them to a boil, turn off the heat,  and then just leave them sitting in the hot water for a couple hours. 

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: January 31, 2023, 01:28:16 am »
I have not! Wasn’t even aware of it, sounds interesting!  I’m going to check it out.

In a far more basic way, the way you can get dried beans ready for using without pre-soaking is similar. Bring them to a boil, turn off the heat,  and then just leave them sitting in the hot water for a couple hours. 

I have quite a few cartons, so I just arrange them in terms of how much soaking they need (overnight, in the morning when I get up, or not needing a pre-soak at all). There's a curious pleasure to seeing ingredients for several days' meals, neatly stacked, with minimal work. When the time comes to cook, I drain and throw them into the above pot. I think chopping onions might be the most preparatory work I do, and it's a minute for 2 onions.

That said, I used fresh carrots and potatoes to make beef and veg stew. Marinated some diced beef for an hour, then tossed them in some flour and lightly fried them in the pot. Added some more oil and the rest of the flour as a thickener (not liquid enough to be called a roux). Added the rest of the ingredients, with the potatoes on top (as they need the least direct cooking). Filled the pot with water up to the level of the carrots, leaving the potatoes clear on top. Brought the water to a boil and kept it boiling for 2-3 minutes, then moved it into the outer pot. The stew was ready 3 hours later.

Beef & veg stew
Main ingredients: diced beef, carrots, potatoes, onions (all roughly chopped).
Beef marinade: cornflour, soy sauce, salt, sugar, sesame oil (very little).
Flavourings: garlic, beef stock cubes, oyster sauce, Worcester sauce, bay leaf, cracked black pepper (I also added dried mushrooms, fish sauce and mushroom ketchup as I have them, but they're not necessary).
Other ingredients: oil, flour.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1170 on: February 21, 2023, 04:34:05 pm »
Just brought a swan 4lt air fryer from home bargains for £44.99, really good value, enough to do a couple of meals in it, just done steak & chips with onion rings, still had plenty of capacity left to put more stuff in at the same time, chips & onion rings were very crispy too.
#Sausages

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1171 on: February 21, 2023, 04:50:50 pm »
Just brought a swan 4lt air fryer from home bargains for £44.99, really good value, enough to do a couple of meals in it, just done steak & chips with onion rings, still had plenty of capacity left to put more stuff in at the same time, chips & onion rings were very crispy too.

What time do you have your tea at?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: December 8, 2023, 04:17:37 am »
Nice simple xmas cake for ya...  8)

150 gms of butter/marj .. (room temp)
150 gms sugar .. (any will do-dark brown best)
2 eggs
225 gms self raising flour
1 jar of mincemeat 400 gms

Extra bits if you want to.... 50 gms sultanas - glug of whiskey

Gone already  :lickin

Oven on at 160 c ... mix butter & sugar, then add 2 eggs... then mix in flour, jar mincemeat..... (sultanas and or whiskey if using)
put into any oven tin or dish and cook for 1hr 15 mins... ish (poke it with a scewer or summat to check its cooked inside-comes out clean)
let it cool for 20 mins... should keep for 10 days..  ;)

Back on this again  ;D

Gone already  :lickin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 05:26:32 am by kavah »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: December 8, 2023, 09:43:25 am »
A spoonful of adobo sauce - this is the sauce from the can of chipotle peppers, and it and the peppers are SPICY, so adjust to taste.

Drives me mad that these are so useful but the supermarkets still don't stock these and you need to buy them online. They do a paste or dried chipotles, but it's nowhere near the same. Moan complete.